Interview/Article from Danish Site

LaraMay

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm actually really pleased that Mika says basically that he knows his biggest fans will all be accepting of him when he says his partner is a man. Because we have always said that.

He seems so much more comfortable with life in his interviews. I would hazard a guess and say that he and his partner must be very happy and content with their lives if he has become willing to mention him openly. I think it's just lovely:wub2:

I was thinking the same. Gives a lovely warm feeling watching him talking so openly because it must mean he is happy and content with his life and yes, it's just lovely :wub2:

There was also that time, when he sang at that thing where Barak Obama was. He did the show after the whatever-it-was. Anyway... The interviewer asked for his opinion on gay marraige and Mika said, if I remember right

"If in the future I wanted to marry a man, shouldn't I be able to?"

That confirmed it for me, because he could have said, something like...

"I see nothing wrong with gay marraige. If two men want to get married they should be able to do so."

Oh I just noticed a post above where a poster says. Maybe he's with a woman now. Well, if he was with a woman, why would he need to say anything about the previous relationship, other that, he was in a relationship for five years? But he actually offered the information. That says, to me anyway, he IS with a man and he's going to be open about it. In that lovely interview, which was on video recently, when the nice guy asked him about sexuality, he didn't skirt around it. He said that basically, young musicians should come out when they're ready, when they're comfortable to do so. He said he was in a good place now (or words to that effect)

So that's what I think anyway.

I'm not saying that Mika is with a woman I just say that he didn't say in this interview that he is with a man, I'm not speaking about the video who he said implicitely that he is actually with a guy :wink2:

The important thing is that Mika is happy :wub2:

Seriously I really don't care if he is homosexual, bi or other , it change nothing I always love his music (except Make you happy and Ring ring :naughty: ) and Mika as a person because is so adorable :huglove:

People are not defined by their sexuality, you are not more intelligent or more tolerant or more talented than others because you are homosexual, bi, straight or other :wink2:

People comes out as gay or bi but never as straight why, seriously it is really important to people to know if someone prefer men or women or the both, it is really important to say to all the world if you are gay, bi or straight.

People just don't care about your sexuality and you say it to the all world that, it is an auction to the ridiculous because it is not the way to fight homophobia or intolerance :doh:

If I found the love of my life with a woman or with a man it would be really nice to marry this person :naughty:

Guess you've never been married to a man, huh? :mf_rosetinted:

Quote of the MFC year so far :lmao:

I am beginning to think that Celebrate is now going to be more about him coming out :teehee:

Yes, now I understand about Celebrate! I hadn't even thought that about the song. I was too busy thinking about The Olympics.

I can't believe I hadn't really thought of the lyrics in that way until now. But it does make perfect sense, to put that general 'coming out' slant on it.

I mean, I thought it was maybe a personal lyric about getting back together with his ex. But it could also be a metaphor for coming out, yes.

The 'finish line' bit is so Olympics though, as Marilyn says. So much so that whenever I hear the song I get a mental pic of Usain Bolt, and I can't shake it off at all and probably won't ever be able to, knowing how my mind/memory works :aah:

If you are gay, straight or bi artist it change nothing in the music industry :doh:

Homosexuals are not persecuted every where in the world like lot of people think :doh:

Part of the reason Anderson Cooper's coming out was no big deal is because people have been speculating for months. Not speculating that he was gay but speculating that he was going to make an official statement. It is now treated as some sort of positive publicity move. It is planned in advance, not to mitigate damage, but to get as much mileage out of it as possible. Well I'd like to think the motivation for making a statement is not so self serving but I think there is much thought given to the timing.

It is becoming less and less newsworthy and more a fact of life and I read nothing but positive responses to his statement. And it's done now. He doesn't ever have to address it again if he doesn't want to and I don't believe the tabloids or anyone is ever going to bother him about it. There's no news story for them to sell.

The 'finish line' bit is so Olympics though, as Marilyn says. So much so that whenever I hear the song I get a mental pic of Usain Bolt, and I can't shake it off at all and probably won't ever be able to, knowing how my mind/memory works :aah:

Ha! I think it's clear from the video shoot that he did not have the same ideas MFC did about making it an Olympic song. :naughty:

Part of the reason Anderson Cooper's coming out was no big deal is because people have been speculating for months. Not speculating that he was gay but speculating that he was going to make an official statement. It is now treated as some sort of positive publicity move. It is planned in advance, not to mitigate damage, but to get as much mileage out of it as possible. Well I'd like to think the motivation for making a statement is not so self serving but I think there is much thought given to the timing.

I think Mika timing is not good he declared it in a tabloid :doh: before his third album is out :doh: What he declared could be seen as commercial especially by gay community. I don't know if you remember all the anger comments on a gay communauty website where the video of Make you happy appeared :aah:

Yup me three!:thumb_yello:

That is exactly what I thought when I first heard the words of that song.

I'm actually really pleased that Mika says basically that he knows his biggest fans will all be accepting of him when he says his partner is a man. Because we have always said that.

He seems so much more comfortable with life in his interviews. I would hazard a guess and say that he and his partner must be very happy and content with their lives if he has become willing to mention him openly. I think it's just lovely:wub2:

Yep, totally agree!

There was also that time, when he sang at that thing where Barak Obama was. He did the show after the whatever-it-was. Anyway... The interviewer asked for his opinion on gay marraige and Mika said, if I remember right

"If in the future I wanted to marry a man, shouldn't I be able to?"

That confirmed it for me, because he could have said, something like...

"I see nothing wrong with gay marraige. If two men want to get married they should be able to do so."

Oh I just noticed a post above where a poster says. Maybe he's with a woman now. Well, if he was with a woman, why would he need to say anything about the previous relationship, other that, he was in a relationship for five years? But he actually offered the information. That says, to me anyway, he IS with a man and he's going to be open about it. In that lovely interview, which was on video recently, when the nice guy asked him about sexuality, he didn't skirt around it. He said that basically, young musicians should come out when they're ready, when they're comfortable to do so. He said he was in a good place now (or words to that effect)

Very well said, Marilyn, I really liked your post (and agree)

:thumb_yello:

I am always so pleased to read such sensible and well-written posts on MFC.

I can't believe I hadn't really thought of the lyrics in that way until now. But it does make perfect sense, to put that general 'coming out' slant on it.

I actually did think about it since he has Heaven as the album launch venue in the UK so when he sings "I'm coming home" there it will have a different meaning :teehee: but I soon forgot about it. In 2009 he basically said at that gay club gig that as a teenager he was waiting for older people to buy him a drink there, his first video was full of gay imagery..etc. and all he ever said was that if one does need to put a label on him it should be the (trendy) bisexual label.

So who knows, he might retreat and won't say a word about it later on.. :dunno:

I mean, I thought it was maybe a personal lyric about getting back together with his ex. But it could also be a metaphor for coming out, yes.

Coming home can refer to a lot of things, like him returning to his ex, his family, to the stage, to the UK, his house, his previous way of life..etc

I think 'pull myself together' , 'it's gonna be OK' or 'everyone says now or never ' kind of suggest that he is about to make a hard decision he needs to think through . It could still be about him pulling himself together for the re-start of a relationship, of course, not for the "big announcement" .

I always thought that the 'finish line" had no Olympic reference (although it could have worked well, of course), but was about him accomplishing this difficult task I thought meant the making of the album, but it may actually be about coming out

We'll see.

My first feeling on Celebrate was that perhaps it was written for Paloma. "I want to come home" "I'll see you at the finish line, I may take my time"

That's what many people thought and it is a possible interpretation of the lines.

To me, however, the finish line could refer to his own 'finish line', when he has done all the things he wanted to do. Otherwise, why would he talk about reassuring himself that he will be fine after he pulls himself together? After all, the accident was not his own tragedy. So I have a feeling he is talking more about his own issues but I also feel that it's about a lot of things he has had to deal with over the last 1.5 years and other issues he has yet to handle.

Edited by suzie

I don't see how 'celebrate' is a particular 'coming out song' ( if there is such a thing!), it seems to be more about 'coming home'. There are also 'trees' and 'finish line(s)' too. Maybe it's just a generally happy song- IDK! Songs are always fun if they can be interpreted in loads of different ways.

The part of the interview everyone is going like :shocked: to is hardly a 'whole world to celebrate' moment, and not even necessarily changing/ expanding on what he's said before. Calling the album 'The Origin of Love' is obviously going to invite these love-life questions in interviews, so maybe he has it all planned out already.

I don't see how 'celebrate' is a particular 'coming out song' ( if there is such a thing!), it seems to be more about 'coming home'. There are also 'trees' and 'finish line(s)' too. Maybe it's just a generally happy song- IDK! Songs are always fun if they can be interpreted in loads of different ways.

The part of the interview everyone is going like :shocked: to is hardly a 'whole world to celebrate' moment, and not even necessarily changing/ expanding on what he's said before. Calling the album 'The Origin of Love' is obviously going to invite these love-life questions in interviews, so maybe he has it all planned out already.

Agree. I don't get what's the big deal with this interview, either.

I am looking forward to the day when that question is entirely superfluous.

So am I.

The part of the interview everyone is going like :shocked: to is hardly a 'whole world to celebrate' moment, and not even necessarily changing/ expanding on what he's said before.

Agree. I don't get what's the big deal with this interview, either.

yes, exactly. For we have all known he's been in a long term relationship with a man ...:rolls_eyes:

So everyone should just get over it.

I got a bit worried after reading the interview.

It´s allready annoying for me (simply as a fan) to see him having to answer this questions about his sexuality all the time...how does it have to be fo him then?

can´t believe people are still shocked after 5 years of constant questions that mika might have had a relationship with a man *shackes head*

You´d think it would get boring to ask all the time.

(thank you for posting the interview though :). It´s good to see many coming up with time :) )

+1:thumb_yello:

Actually, I said it in a joking way though as this statement IS different from what he has been saying before and now people try to play down its importance. :teehee:

Ever since Mika came into the pop scene I have said that there was absolutely no reason for him to say anything about his sexual orientation or private life. To me it has always been clear from his lyrics that there is something in that area he is trying to cope with and close the door on. His ambiguous talk in interviews only confirmed that. I was / am absolutely fine with it as I love songs to be free for interpretations: anyone can decide their take on Lollipop or Stuck in the Middle based on their age, life experience and readiness to read between the lines. I don't think people have to 'know' about Mika's private life to understand his songs but the pressure on him from press (and never from fans) have been so hard to take that I do think it helps him to be a bit more open and not try to hide behind ambigiuty. Moreover, when he basically labelled himself as 'bisexual' three years ago, it seemed to me like the easy choice as it's the kind of trendy to be open for both genders in theory. There is a really good discussion on this in the gay thread, so I am not adding anything else here but I do think that this statement from him took courage and was an intelligent way of talking about his private life, also avoiding any further unnecessary questions.

Therefore, in my view fans reassuring him about this 'statement' helps him more than those trying to pretend that nothing has happened. Most importantly though, life goes on and hopefully the new album will have bombastic success.:thumb_yello:

Actually, I said it in a joking way though as this statement IS different from what he has been saying before and now people try to play down its importance. :teehee:

Ever since Mika came into the pop scene I have said that there was absolutely no reason for him to say anything about his sexual orientation or private life. To me it has always been clear from his lyrics that there is something in that area he is trying to cope with and close the door on. His ambiguous talk in interviews only confirmed that. I was / am absolutely fine with it as I love songs to be free for interpretations: anyone can decide their take on Lollipop or Stuck in the Middle based on their age, life experience and readiness to read between the lines. I don't think people have to 'know' about Mika's private life to understand his songs but the pressure on him from press (and never from fans) have been so hard to take that I do think it helps him to be a bit more open and not try to hide behind ambigiuty. Moreover, when he basically labelled himself as 'bisexual' three years ago, it seemed to me like the easy choice as it's the kind of trendy to be open for both genders in theory. There is a really good discussion on this in the gay thread, so I am not adding anything else here but I do think that this statement from him took courage and was an intelligent way of talking about his private life, also avoiding any further unnecessary questions.

Therefore, in my view fans reassuring him about this 'statement' helps him more than those trying to pretend that nothing has happened. Most importantly though, life goes on and hopefully the new album will have bombastic success.:thumb_yello:

Well said :thumb_yello: but I'm not sure that the media stops presure him about his private life and sexuality. Today, in the general mentality sex sells, journalists prefer to do sensationalism rather than discuss the creations of an artist, it's the sad truth :doh:

Can't find it strange that this tabloid article since it came out is not being replicated elsewhere in Europe and the rest of the world? :mf_rosetinted: When Mika said he was bi a week throughout the web world knew :fisch:

Well said :thumb_yello: but I'm not sure that the media stops presure him about his private life and sexuality. Today, in the general mentality sex sells, journalists prefer to do sensationalism rather than discuss the creations of an artist, it's the sad truth :doh:

Can't find it strange that this tabloid article since it came out is not being replicated elsewhere in Europe and the rest of the world? :mf_rosetinted: When Mika said he was bi a week throughout the web world knew :fisch:

When he mentioned being bi, it was in an english magazine... this isn't... that could be why :dunno: