Secret listening party in Milan!

robertina

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

aww! :fangurl: it's good to understand with the google translate version, loved reading a journalist's review of the event! though i didn't even realize on wednesday that there were any journalists there. :teehee:

it's great that they mention how mika prepared the event and that he was so overprotective with the songs on his laptop that he wouldn't let anyone else play them. :wub2:

also love it how they say that many were listening to uw with closed eyes - lol, i definitely was one of those people! :naughty:

Grazie!!!

It's an incredible article, everything is so warmly described, and it's all true, no journalist invention!

who wants to translate? Nerys?

Here it is! Feel free to make corrections/improvements :)

Mika's third album, The Origin of Love, won't be released until at least mid-September, but the 28 year old Anglo-Lebanese singer is already promoting his new songs. This week was dedicated to the Italian fans and press, making the most of the concert that was held in Vigevano on Wednesday 24th July.

After getting back to Milan at 2am, Mika faced a Wednesday full of events like a true professional. The first ones to meet him were us from Sorrisi, just before midday, for a long interview that you will read in the magazine in September. Mika told us about how the tracks in The Origin of Love were born, and how he chose the producers and muscians who have collaborated on the album; a record written and recorded with total freedom, practically self-financed (“I travelled the world using the miles I accumulated travelling by plane during the last five years” he told us).

The Grace Kelly and Relax (Take It Easy) singer believes strongly in his new work and can't wait for the world to hear it. And it's because of this the main event on Wednesday, which included other interviews and a Google+ hangout, was a listening party in a secret location in central Milan. Thirty lucky fans, selected online, listened to ten tracks from The Origin of Love. We were there an hour before and before the audience arrived we saw how Mika prepared the tracklist for the event with anxiety and concentration.

Being very protective about his new creation, he insisted that the tracks didn't leave his laptop. Mika must have realised that pirates are everywhere these days, and at the end he decided that he would be the only DJ at the party. And so, when the fans arrived, they found him armed with his laptop, ready to play the new songs.

There was time for a quick presentation (“These aren't the final versions” he explained, “but all the songs that you will hear today will be on the album”) and then he played the title track, known to many fans seeing as Mika has been playing it in during his concerts for a few weeks. Following was Lola, Step With Me (written during a songwriting camp) and Stardust (written and produced with Benny Benassi's team).

The most emotional song was the fifth, Underwater, which many (Mika included) listened to with their eyes closed. The listening party then continued with Kids, Emily (the English version of Elle me did, which was a success in France last summer) and Popular, a duet with emerging artist Priscilla Renea. In the lyrics, which include the offensive term “faggot” and a quote from Beck's Loser, he deals with bullying in a light and ironic way.

At this point the time was almost up. Mika was pressedby his record label who reminded him about how his flight was leaving soon, but he let us listen to a few seconds of Heroes, and before leaving answered a few questions from the fans. At the end everyone was satisfied, but our impression was that the most satisfied of all was him, Michael Holbrook Penniman Jr, known as Mika.

What a lovely interview! Thanks for posting and translating :flowers2: I didn't notice there was any press... I thought the photographer was for Mika's FB or something. Love the ending and observation he looked happy as well :wub2:

I wrote some thoughts in my blog immediately after the listening and now when not too tired edited it a bit and just copying it here:

I was lucky to be in Milan on Wednesday afternoon and take a part to the special album listening party Mika organized to his fans. I didn't know what to expect in advance and we found out the exact time and place only night before. The ticket I won to the listening party was for two persons. My husband (who was with me in Luzern & Vigevano) had an early flight home and the person who wanted to come cancelled so I asked a US fan who I met in France and who was staying in Milan to come with me to the party. Thanks Lowell for being such fun company, I hope you enjoyed the listening! Also, was good to see so many Italian and German fans at the same time and have a small meet up!

I don't think I need to explain you how much I appreciated being there. We didn't actually know if Mika was going to be there, just hearing new songs felt special enough. The listening party was organized in a little cafe/club that looked more like a small gallery (the place was really unique) and everything was really cozy and intimate and our group was much smaller than I expected. You can imagine how we all felt when we arrived and Mika came into the room and told we would hear the latest version of the album (which is not totally finished yet) from his own laptop, played by him. The listening was a bit late because he had to choose which songs to play to us (we didn't have time for every song so he had to choose what to leave out). He told us about making of the album and I can honestly say this was the most special Mika moment I've ever experienced. When you love an artist a lot this kind of thing is something you never expect to happen for real (but it did happen and I feel really grateful).

We were allowed to have paper and a pen with us so I decided to write a couple of words next to every title. I knew I couldn't remember much afterwards, I always need to hear songs several times before knowing them well and the situation was really exciting and new. About the album in general. There are some songs I already love more than I love any of his older songs (and that's a lot because some of his old songs are the ones that made me a huge fan in the first place). There are also songs I don't love from the first (or second) listening but will learn to love and I'm just happy with that. I like the idea that the album can grow in me and has several levels so it will be a long-time experience and will also be very dear in the end. Some things I wrote during the listening party sound already random and are not making any sense but I still want keep them as a memory and a funny thing to read later (when I know the songs better). I'm actually very curious to see how much my first reaction will change after hearing the songs properly again.

First we heard The Origin Of Love and I realized that Underwater is not the best song on the album. It must be TOOL? I really loved the recorded version, I can read from my notes the recorded song felt softer than the live version (softer?) and that it makes me feel I'm flying. And really, it's quite amazing any song can make you feel you are flying? I genuinely think that TOOL is everything a good song needs to be, that the way it's built is just brilliant and that it can be a huge hit. (Edit: The version we heard at the Milan listening party was absolutely amazing and powerful and much better than the version heard in the UK radio day after. He is probably still doing changes. I really hope he will keep the flying feeling in the end, because the song is maybe the best song he has recorded. Am I really saying this? Hahah, I'm absolutely fascinated by it and can't have enough of it.)

Lola was very different than it is live and it was not a surprise, I was expecting it. But, the whole tone is different, it has a mysterious, dreamlike atmosphere with a stronger, colorful ending (really like it how it grows in the end). Lola will be one of my favorites on the new album and I will probably always prefer the studio version over live versions, to enjoy it without any audience disturbance.

The first really new song was Step With Me and all I could think was that it sounds like a boy band song (with Mika's voice). I believe my opinion will change a lot when I hear it properly but my English is not good enough to handle the lyrics after only one listening and this is all I can say so far, I'm sorry. This can be one of the songs I learn to love but it wasn't love at first listening. I'm really curious to see my own reaction when the album is properly out.

The next song was Stardust and I really liked his voice in the song and the line "stardust in your eyes" made me smile every time. I have mentioned his voice twice in my notes so this must be one of the songs that will only grow in me after a few listening. (Edit: I don't think any song has ever made me smile this quickly, so I have high expectations for this one, really looking forward to hearing it again).

Underwater made me think of I See You. I already know that I will always love the live version more than the album version because there's some absolutely beautiful vulnerability in the live version that can't be heard in the album version even it's well done and even I think it's one of his best songs ever. So it looks I still have the reason to travel to see his shows live? Congratulations to my husband (hahah, NOT). The UW version we heard in Luzerne was best I've heard so far and there's just no way the recorded version could beat it. Still, the album version is very good and not disappointing in any way and I already know UW is my favorite Mika song ever.

Kids is a song we already heard in Tallinn and it's one of those songs I was really curious to hear again. I love his voice in the song (but the live version was softer and somehow different). I really look forward to hearing this song with proper written lyrics (again, my English is not good enough to understand everything after only a couple of listening) because I want to know if the lyrics are really as sad as the song makes me feel. (Edit: after a few days and also hearing the song actually three times all together I can't remember it properly and it's bothering me. However, I will probably enjoy this song more live, can't explain it clearly atm.)

Emily was so much fun! Lol! Everyone was smiling, giggling, laughing. I can't believe he made EMD Emily (but I do love it). Shut up and listen to me, dance with me, Emily!! (Edit: I don't remember the exact words, it all happened too fast. I still find the whole idea hilarious, it's like mocking the non French speaking world but in a funny way, I love it that he doesn't take things too seriously.)

Popular is done together with Priscilla Renea and is my least favorite song so far. Not that it is a bad song (I think it's a clever song and the way their voices are put together is quite brilliant) but because it didn't cause me any emotional reaction and I like to have an emotional reaction when listening to music. This is another boy band style song (lol, I admit I wrote to my notes "boy band rap").

The last song was Heroes and it's a beautiful, growing/raising song where his voice is absolutely beautiful! Really looking forward to hearing this one again as well as another edition of Make You Happy (high expectations for that one too).

My first impression is that the album consists of very different kind of songs. Some of them will be like treasures to me - the others will be like treasures to someone else (there are many different people behind the songs, there are different sides in Mika). The album sounds more commercial than his previous albums but there's no doubt it's made with love and that he's really proud of it (it was so obvious when he talked about the album). I believe and hope it will do well and bring him new, wider audience. Really curious to hear Overrated (also curious to see if the rumor about BIOTW in French I heard in France is only a rumor or not, haven't had time to read news properly). Feel v tired now, I might want to edit my post after processing things in my mind.

Edit: A few days after the listening I've started to feel very impatient. I just can't wait to hear the new songs again (and I'm most curious to hear Lola, Stardust, Heroes and of course Overrated, because haven't heard it at all yet.)

I wrote some thoughts in my blog immediately after the listening and now when not too tired edited it a bit and just copying it here:

I was lucky to be in Milan on Wednesday afternoon and take a part to the special album listening party Mika organized to his fans. I didn't know what to expect in advance and we found out the exact time and place only night before. The ticket I won to the listening party was for two persons. My husband (who was with me in Luzern & Vigevano) had an early flight home and the person who wanted to come cancelled so I asked a US fan who I met in France and who was staying in Milan to come with me to the party. Thanks Lowell for being such fun company, I hope you enjoyed the listening! Also, was good to see so many Italian and German fans at the same time and have a small meet up!

I don't think I need to explain you how much I appreciated being there. We didn't actually know if Mika was going to be there, just hearing new songs felt special enough. The listening party was organized in a little cafe/club that looked more like a small gallery (the place was really unique) and everything was really cozy and intimate and our group was much smaller than I expected. You can imagine how we all felt when we arrived and Mika came into the room and told we would hear the latest version of the album (which is not totally finished yet) from his own laptop, played by him. The listening was a bit late because he had to choose which songs to play to us (we didn't have time for every song so he had to choose what to leave out). He told us about making of the album and I can honestly say this was the most special Mika moment I've ever experienced. When you love an artist a lot this kind of thing is something you never expect to happen for real (but it did happen and I feel really grateful).

We were allowed to have paper and a pen with us so I decided to write a couple of words next to every title. I knew I couldn't remember much afterwards, I always need to hear songs several times before knowing them well and the situation was really exciting and new. About the album in general. There are some songs I already love more than I love any of his older songs (and that's a lot because some of his old songs are the ones that made me a huge fan in the first place). There are also songs I don't love from the first (or second) listening but will learn to love and I'm just happy with that. I like the idea that the album can grow in me and has several levels so it will be a long-time experience and will also be very dear in the end. Some things I wrote during the listening party sound already random and are not making any sense but I still want keep them as a memory and a funny thing to read later (when I know the songs better). I'm actually very curious to see how much my first reaction will change after hearing the songs properly again.

First we heard The Origin Of Love and I realized that Underwater is not the best song on the album. It must be TOOL? I really loved the recorded version, I can read from my notes the recorded song felt softer than the live version (softer?) and that it makes me feel I'm flying. And really, it's quite amazing any song can make you feel you are flying? I genuinely think that TOOL is everything a good song needs to be, that the way it's built is just brilliant and that it can be a huge hit. (Edit: The version we heard at the Milan listening party was absolutely amazing and powerful and much better than the version heard in the UK radio day after. He is probably still doing changes. I really hope he will keep the flying feeling in the end, because the song is maybe the best song he has recorded. Am I really saying this? Hahah, I'm absolutely fascinated by it and can't have enough of it.)

Lola was very different than it is live and it was not a surprise, I was expecting it. But, the whole tone is different, it has a mysterious, dreamlike atmosphere with a stronger, colorful ending (really like it how it grows in the end). Lola will be one of my favorites on the new album and I will probably always prefer the studio version over live versions, to enjoy it without any audience disturbance.

The first really new song was Step With Me and all I could think was that it sounds like a boy band song (with Mika's voice). I believe my opinion will change a lot when I hear it properly but my English is not good enough to handle the lyrics after only one listening and this is all I can say so far, I'm sorry. This can be one of the songs I learn to love but it wasn't love at first listening. I'm really curious to see my own reaction when the album is properly out.

The next song was Stardust and I really liked his voice in the song and the line "stardust in your eyes" made me smile every time. I have mentioned his voice twice in my notes so this must be one of the songs that will only grow in me after a few listening. (Edit: I don't think any song has ever made me smile this quickly, so I have high expectations for this one, really looking forward to hearing it again).

Underwater made me think of I See You. I already know that I will always love the live version more than the album version because there's some absolutely beautiful vulnerability in the live version that can't be heard in the album version even it's well done and even I think it's one of his best songs ever. So it looks I still have the reason to travel to see his shows live? Congratulations to my husband (hahah, NOT). The UW version we heard in Luzerne was best I've heard so far and there's just no way the recorded version could beat it. Still, the album version is very good and not disappointing in any way and I already know UW is my favorite Mika song ever.

Kids is a song we already heard in Tallinn and it's one of those songs I was really curious to hear again. I love his voice in the song (but the live version was softer and somehow different). I really look forward to hearing this song with proper written lyrics (again, my English is not good enough to understand everything after only a couple of listening) because I want to know if the lyrics are really as sad as the song makes me feel. (Edit: after a few days and also hearing the song actually three times all together I can't remember it properly and it's bothering me. However, I will probably enjoy this song more live, can't explain it clearly atm.)

Emily was so much fun! Lol! Everyone was smiling, giggling, laughing. I can't believe he made EMD Emily (but I do love it). Shut up and listen to me, dance with me, Emily!! (Edit: I don't remember the exact words, it all happened too fast. I still find the whole idea hilarious, it's like mocking the non French speaking world but in a funny way, I love it that he doesn't take things too seriously.)

Popular is done together with Priscilla Renea and is my least favorite song so far. Not that it is a bad song (I think it's a clever song and the way their voices are put together is quite brilliant) but because it didn't cause me any emotional reaction and I like to have an emotional reaction when listening to music. This is another boy band style song (lol, I admit I wrote to my notes "boy band rap").

The last song was Heroes and it's a beautiful, growing/raising song where his voice is absolutely beautiful! Really looking forward to hearing this one again as well as another edition of Make You Happy (high expectations for that one too).

My first impression is that the album consists of very different kind of songs. Some of them will be like treasures to me - the others will be like treasures to someone else (there are many different people behind the songs, there are different sides in Mika). The album sounds more commercial than his previous albums but there's no doubt it's made with love and that he's really proud of it (it was so obvious when he talked about the album). I believe and hope it will do well and bring him new, wider audience. Really curious to hear Overrated (also curious to see if the rumor about BIOTW in French I heard in France is only a rumor or not, haven't had time to read news properly). Feel v tired now, I might want to edit my post after processing things in my mind.

Edit: A few days after the listening I've started to feel very impatient. I just can't wait to hear the new songs again (and I'm most curious to hear Lola, Stardust, Heroes and of course Overrated, because haven't heard it at all yet.)

i didn't know about these rumors, but mika said in an interview that one of the french songs will be "l'amour dans le mauvais temps". iT made me think immediatly of "blame it on the weather". i'm curious! but i didn't really like it in english so..

anyway you did a great report! i'm really looking forward this album! and soooooooooooo curious about overrated!

Here it is! Feel free to make corrections/improvements :)

Mika's third album, The Origin of Love, won't be released until at least mid-September, but the 28 year old Anglo-Lebanese singer is already promoting his new songs. This week was dedicated to the Italian fans and press, making the most of the concert that was held in Vigevano on Wednesday 24th July.

After getting back to Milan at 2am, Mika faced a Wednesday full of events like a true professional. The first ones to meet him were us from Sorrisi, just before midday, for a long interview that you will read in the magazine in September. Mika told us about how the tracks in The Origin of Love were born, and how he chose the producers and muscians who have collaborated on the album; a record written and recorded with total freedom, practically self-financed (“I travelled the world using the miles I accumulated travelling by plane during the last five years” he told us).

The Grace Kelly and Relax (Take It Easy) singer believes strongly in his new work and can't wait for the world to hear it. And it's because of this the main event on Wednesday, which included other interviews and a Google+ hangout, was a listening party in a secret location in central Milan. Thirty lucky fans, selected online, listened to ten tracks from The Origin of Love. We were there an hour before and before the audience arrived we saw how Mika prepared the tracklist for the event with anxiety and concentration.

Being very protective about his new creation, he insisted that the tracks didn't leave his laptop. Mika must have realised that pirates are everywhere these days, and at the end he decided that he would be the only DJ at the party. And so, when the fans arrived, they found him armed with his laptop, ready to play the new songs.

There was time for a quick presentation (“These aren't the final versions” he explained, “but all the songs that you will hear today will be on the album”) and then he played the title track, known to many fans seeing as Mika has been playing it in during his concerts for a few weeks. Following was Lola, Step With Me (written during a songwriting camp) and Stardust (written and produced with Benny Benassi's team).

The most emotional song was the fifth, Underwater, which many (Mika included) listened to with their eyes closed. The listening party then continued with Kids, Emily (the English version of Elle me did, which was a success in France last summer) and Popular, a duet with emerging artist Priscilla Renea. In the lyrics, which include the offensive term “faggot” and a quote from Beck's Loser, he deals with bullying in a light and ironic way.

At this point the time was almost up. Mika was pressedby his record label who reminded him about how his flight was leaving soon, but he let us listen to a few seconds of Heroes, and before leaving answered a few questions from the fans. At the end everyone was satisfied, but our impression was that the most satisfied of all was him, Michael Holbrook Penniman Jr, known as Mika.

Thankyou for posting!

But of course Mika would do that :naughty:

Thanks for posting your review Nina. I read it the other day on your blog and really enjoyed it. :thumb_yello:

i didn't know about these rumors, but mika said in an interview that one of the french songs will be "l'amour dans le mauvais temps". iT made me think immediatly of "blame it on the weather". i'm curious! but i didn't really like it in english so..

Ah yes, that makes sense! I'm really not a fan of BIOTW (to put it mildly :teehee:) but my biggest problem with it is the lyrics so I think a French version would be a huge improvement.

I hope it will be an improvement! But i don't know, lol, i'm not feeling it (but Mika can be surprising)! and would it be a duet like he did with Ida? Then, with who? Lot's of questions!

Let's just wait and see!

I can only add that Mika was wearing a white and black checks shirt and wore new shoes as seen in the picture posted on twitter! :)

This is the shirt he wore:

248.jpg

Previously seen @ Crazy Week.

I recognized it as soon as he suddenly came into the room :naughty:

I've noticed photographers anyway...hope some pics will be released :wub2:

Yeah, I hope they will realease the pics very, very soon :sneaky2::aah:

Yo! I still have to share my report, I've been quite busy in the last two days :( I'm gonna share my feelings asap :wink2: (Much has been told, but I still have a couple of things to say about :naughty:)