Mikasounds and Twitter updates - Part 11

guylainem123

They have given the definition several times, I don't see why people can't work to it.

It's fairer all round, as everyone can do a simple drawing. Because now only the more arty entries are going through, as the less artistic have given up, because they feel there's no point!

Actually I think it's wrong to blame people because they don't send in doodles. The Mika team said it was a doodle competition, yes, but they also said that you didn't have to send in a doodle if you didn't want to, a painting or something else was just as fine. And when they almost only picked none doodles, then ofc people are not going to draw doodles since there's no chance to win with a doodle if the other have drawn amazing drawings!

I meant there were two different doodles on auction for Epilepsy. Does anyone know what the FB winner actually got? Did she post pics of it?

If I remember right she actually complained to Mika that she hadn't got the prize, but I don't know if she got it later :dunno:

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Actually I think it's wrong to blame people because they don't send in doodles. The Mika team said it was a doodle competition, yes, but they also said that you didn't have to send in a doodle if you didn't want to, a painting or something else was just as fine. And when they almost only picked none doodles, then ofc people are not going to draw doodles since there's no chance to win with a doodle if the other have drawn amazing drawings!

If I remember right she actually complained to Mika that she hadn't got the prize, but I don't know if she got it later :dunno:

I'm not sure but I think I had seen a Polish girl tweeting a picture of her & the doodle... I think she got it but far later than planned :mf_rosetinted:

That was Magdalena, she got her prize eventually, it's the doodle with the artwork that Mika had made for the album (photo on previous page).

But there was another doodle, which looks like the one they posted today on his FB page, that was apparently won by a fan last year.

That was Magdalena, she got her prize eventually, it's the doodle with the artwork that Mika had made for the album (photo on previous page).

But there was another doodle, which looks like the one they posted today on his FB page, that was apparently won by a fan last year.

Ah right, then I have no idea if she got her doodle or not.

I meant there were two different doodles on auction for Epilepsy. Does anyone know what the FB winner actually got? Did she post pics of it?

OK, I think this was the prize the winner won on Facebook:

427024_10150600137093040_860861643_n.jpg

And this is the prize that they donated to have auctioned off as part of Doodle Day last year:

424866_10150608098833040_1980740067_n.jpg

It looks like the one they're auctioning this year was left over from last year, so they changed the date. :dunno:

Edited by dcdeb

So how is that fair for the not so artistic? It's supposed to be for everyone.

I don't think it matters, tbh. One of my best friends in highschool was extremely good at drawing and painting and all that. If I worked on a painting for hours it still wouldn't look half as good as something she scetched in five minutes.

Never said it was fair and I don't think it is fair, but now things are as they are so it's just to accept it and hope that they change the rules until next year.

Good work Deb. :thumb_yello:

A contest will never be for everyone unless winners are drawn entirely at random. I think considering how many artistic fans Mika has it's a pretty good contest and the nice thing about the high quality drawings is that it's more interesting for everyone else on FB who weren't going to submit drawings anyway.

I agree with Irene that there are going to be people who are highly skilled even at the doodling and are going to come out winners anyway.

I don't think it matters, tbh. One of my best friends in highschool was extremely good at drawing and painting and all that. If I worked on a painting for hours it still wouldn't look half as good as something she scetched in five minutes.

That maybe, but at least it's a level playing field, where everyone is working to the same criteria, and just doing a doodle.

TM know not everyone can do mini masterpieces, like the ones getting through to the finals, and now people who at the start were excited that they might get a chance to get through, have given up, and I find that sad, and disappointing.

now people who at the start were excited that they might get a chance to get through, have given up, and I find that sad, and disappointing.

I guess that is the downside of having any long term contest. Look what happened with the points thing. I mean aside from all the issues with the rules it was always going to get to a point where 95% of people dropped out of the running and couldn't hope to catch the winners.

I think it's a better alternative to only having random drawings, because there's so little effort involved if it's just random.

I guess that is the downside of having any long term contest. Look what happened with the points thing. I mean aside from all the issues with the rules it was always going to get to a point where 95% of people dropped out of the running and couldn't hope to catch the winners.

I think it's a better alternative to only having random drawings, because there's so little effort involved if it's just random.

But isn't that what a doodle is, a simple random drawing? Okay, there is a subject attached here, but not hard to do a doodle for them, without going off on a tangent.

That maybe, but at least it's a level playing field, where everyone is working to the same criteria, and just doing a doodle.

TM know not everyone can do mini masterpieces, like the ones getting through to the finals, and now people who at the start were excited that they might get a chance to get through, have given up, and I find that sad, and disappointing.

Well, Rose, I think you're preaching to the choir here. I mean, it's no use complaining here -- none of us can do anything about changing the rules, so there's no point to us arguing amongst ourselves over it. :dunno: And I guess they said that they'd accept all sorts of artwork, not just doodles, simply because they know from past experience that a lot of people will ignore the rules and submit what they want anyway. Some people don't read the rules, some people don't understand the rules even if they read them, and some people just don't give a <bleep> and do what they please regardless of the rules.

Yes, honestly, it's a lot more effort for them as well -- they have to sort through the entries, post them all online, then narrow down the choices, read everyone's comments, hear all the gripes about fairness, plus sift through the growing amounts of spam and junk I'm seeing over there... there's much more work involved for them with this sort of contest.

Edited by dcdeb

But isn't that what a doodle is, a simple random drawing? Okay, there is a subject attached here, but not hard to do a doodle for them, without going off on a tangent.

Yeah you're right but people just do not listen. I have this trouble at my job where people are being paid money to follow instructions, nevermind Mika fans. :naughty: The only way to control it would be to ignore the real artwork but I can understand why they don't want to do that.

Last time people were just submitting random drawings that they had worked on over the years, but at least this time these are original works specifically created for the contest. It's hard to penalize people for trying too hard and doing their best work.

Yes, honestly, it's a lot more effort them as well -- they have to sort through the entries, post them all online, then narrow down the choices, read everyone's comments, hear all the gripes about fairness, plus sift through the growing amounts of spam and junk I'm seeing over there... there's much more work involved for them with this sort of contest.

Yes and there's a reason for that, it generates more overall interest. Yes maybe a few of us here are the "choir" who thinks it's unfair or a bit disappointing but if the thousands of people reading Mika's FB agreed then the complex artwork would not win and it would be a moot point whether people submitted actual doodles or not.

It has always been the case that every reward in Mika land (from getting in the front row to winning a private acoustic gig) is the result of herculean effort and extreme competition among fans. At least if someone has earned what they get there is some element of fairness. If there is no effort involved not only is it unfair but it's not very interesting for anyone involved except for the winner.

OK, I think this was the prize the winner won on Facebook:

427024_10150600137093040_860861643_n.jpg

And this is the prize that they donated to have auctioned off as part of Doodle Day last year:

424866_10150608098833040_1980740067_n.jpg

It looks like the one they're auctioning this year was left over from last year, so they changed the date. :dunno:

Thanks deb!! I think you cracked the case!! :thumb_yello:

imo the biggest disappointment in this doodle competition wasn't even that most weren't doodles as such, but the complete randomness of how the final 6 were chosen. the reason they gave for doing that may be valid, but some really fab ideas got lots of votes despite not being at the front of the gallery, and still weren't among the top 6. :dunno: for me, this competition wasn't about how elaborate the doodle or painting was or wasn't, but about the creative ideas behind the pictures. for example the winner of emd was more a doodle than a painting, and i really liked the idea behind it, the way the world down there tries to "scream" at you, but you hide in your balloon with your computer, books, etc. - i've stopped looking through the complete galleries a while ago though, since the pictures i liked most were hardly ever chosen to be in the top 6.

but well, i guess they gave away some eyeball shirts as prizes, or other items of old merch they need to get rid of, i'm not to keen on that anyway so i'm not bothered much by the randomness of it all. :teehee:

imo the biggest disappointment in this doodle competition wasn't even that most weren't doodles as such, but the complete randomness of how the final 6 were chosen. the reason they gave for doing that may be valid, but some really fab ideas got lots of votes despite not being at the front of the gallery, and still weren't among the top 6. :dunno: for me, this competition wasn't about how elaborate the doodle or painting was or wasn't, but about the creative ideas behind the pictures. for example the winner of emd was more a doodle than a painting, and i really liked the idea behind it, the way the world down there tries to "scream" at you, but you hide in your balloon with your computer, books, etc. - i've stopped looking through the complete galleries a while ago though, since the pictures i liked most were hardly ever chosen to be in the top 6.

but well, i guess they gave away some eyeball shirts as prizes, or other items of old merch they need to get rid of, i'm not to keen on that anyway so i'm not bothered much by the randomness of it all. :teehee:

That's what I think too, sometimes it was almost like they felt like they had to choose a doodle (because after all it's a doodle competition) even if there where more elaborated paintings that had an better idea behind or captured the meaning of the song better.

I`ve always thought they choose a winner by a number of "likes" - the more one gets the closer is his\her prize)))

Now I don`t know....I`m not sure of this.

This is very subjective.

For example, the beautiful Step With Me winner isn`t a doodle at all - it`s a drawing in watercolors, as far as I see....This doesn`t belittle its beauty but makes me ponder over selection criteria .

That's what I think too, sometimes it was almost like they felt like they had to choose a doodle (because after all it's a doodle competition) even if there where more elaborated paintings that had an better idea behind or captured the meaning of the song better.

I saw quite a few great doodles that captured the song that never got picked, which would have made it a proper doodle competition.

If you are arty, a doodle should be as easy to do as an elaborate drawing, why flout the rules?

It wasn't supposed to be an exercise in capturing the deep meaning behind the song, you just had to do a doodle that had something to do with the song, which in some cases you could get the deep meaning by coincidence, it depended on the song.

I hope if this is done again next year, it is done with clearer definitions and examples of the meaning of what a doodle is. That way it'll be a lot fairer for everyone.

My example would be to look at Karl Pilkingtons on the site where they are holding the auction. An excellent example of a doodle.

Edited by RAK1

I saw quite a few great doodles that captured the song that never got picked, which would have made it a proper doodle competition.

If you are arty, a doodle should be as easy to do as an elaborate drawing, why flout the rules?

It wasn't supposed to be an exercise in capturing the deep meaning behind the song, you just had to do a doodle that had something to do with the song, which in some cases you could get the deep meaning by coincidence, it depended on the song.

I hope if this is done again next year, it is done with clearer definitions and examples of the meaning of what a doodle is. That way it'll be a lot fairer for everyone.

My example would be to look at Karl Pilkingtons on the site where they are holding the auction. An excellent example of a doodle.

Actually I don't think it's fair of you to pick on people that are doing elaborated works. Because they are only following the rules. And the rules are: You can do whatever painting you want, but we want to call it a doodle competition not because you have to draw doodles, but because we want to have something that connect it to the doodle day.

So just stop saying people aren't following the rules because they are and ofc everyone wants to win so why draw a quick sketch when you the chances of winning is higher if you do something more elaborated.

Actually I don't think it's fair of you to pick on people that are doing elaborated works. Because they are only following the rules. And the rules are: You can do whatever painting you want, but we want to call it a doodle competition not because you have to draw doodles, but because we want to have something that connect it to the doodle day.

So just stop saying people aren't following the rules because they are and ofc everyone wants to win so why draw a quick sketch when you the chances of winning is higher if you do something more elaborated.

I'm saying it's easier for an arty person to do a simple doodle than it is for a non arty person to do a more elaborate drawing.

It should be fair for everyone, don't you think?

Or are you saying only arty people should be allowed to enter, which is kind of looking down on the no artistic people who want to have a go. A bit unfair I think.

I'm saying it's easier for an arty person to do a simple doodle than it is for a non arty person to do a more elaborate drawing.

It should be fair for everyone, don't you think?

Or are you saying only arty people should be allowed to enter, which is kind of looking down on the no artistic people who want to have a go. A bit unfair I think.

First of all it should be fun for everyone and not taken too serious. If these kind of competition will bring arguments they will stop doing things like this! Please let´s have fun and nothing else :huglove: