Uk charts: Mika disappoints

Mina Alisa

I feel uncomfortable even talking about this on a public forum but I didn't think it was possible to only sell 6000 albums so something is really wrong here and I don't think a different choice of single is going to sort it out.

Amazingly, you only have to sell 10,000 - 15,000 CDs (or downloads) to make it to the no. 1 spot in the UK these days so I think the sales figures are kind of irrelevant. (Fifteen years ago, you had to sell about 350,000!) :shocked:

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You realize that he WAS on Ellen a few years ago?

[YOUTUBE]9AIU9hDM4U0[/YOUTUBE]

And he was on So You Think You Can Dance a few years ago.

[YOUTUBE]JXtzs4BwmG4[/YOUTUBE]

And he's been on Leno, Letterman, and Jimmy Kimmel in the past. And Good Morning, America. So the opportunities have been there, but... :dunno:

Yes and I loved them all at the time, but he needs that promo every time, primetime promo. Other artists visit the shows again and again. He needs to do something that really garners attention, causes a twitter buzz. And sadly, GMA wasn't aired on the east coast that day. Years ago is meaningless now, out of sight, out of mind.

Edited by katydid

Yes and I loved them all at the time, but he needs that promo every time, primetime promo. Other artists visit the shows again and again. He needs to do something that really garners attention, causes a twitter buzz. And sadly, GMA wasn't aired on the east coast that day. Years ago is meaningless now, out of sight, out of mind.

As far as I know, when doing prime time promo, the promo team invite artists they want to. It's not up to Team Mika. If he's doing well on chart, they invite him. Well it could be up to how powerful promo team is connected on TM but....

Irrelevent ... but I was in a pub with my two brothers yesterday ... and they had a jukebox there .. so I put on Origin Of Love and Celebrate ... you know ... you have to get Mika played where you can even if you pay for it :teehee: anyway ... Dave was saying he'd loved his first album ... really loved it ... had hated his second one ... it was ****e as he put it ... did I want to know what he thought of the third one ... cos' after me going on about how much I loved it ... he'd downloaded the deluxe version ... expecting to hate it like last time ... he ... loved it ... especially Origin Of Love which was playing at that moment ... and it wasn't just words ... as he said he loved the way it builds up at the end and he loved nearly all the tracks on it - there was a couple he wasn't sure of yet (though he didn't name them) it just meant alot as he was telling Tony (my other brother and chronic Mika hater lol) that actually give him a listen ... it's a bloody good record :wub2:

Irrelevent ... but I was in a pub with my two brothers yesterday ... and they had a jukebox there .. so I put on Origin Of Love and Celebrate ... you know ... you have to get Mika played where you can even if you pay for it :teehee: anyway ... Dave was saying he'd loved his first album ... really loved it ... had hated his second one ... it was ****e as he put it ... did I want to know what he thought of the third one ... cos' after me going on about how much I loved it ... he'd downloaded the deluxe version ... expecting to hate it like last time ... he ... loved it ... especially Origin Of Love which was playing at that moment ... and it wasn't just words ... as he said he loved the way it builds up at the end and he loved nearly all the tracks on it - there was a couple he wasn't sure of yet (though he didn't name them) it just meant alot as he was telling Tony (my other brother and chronic Mika hater lol) that actually give him a listen ... it's a bloody good record :wub2:

That's good!

So he did everything right. But I blame the record company for messing things up. They have never been good at picking singles. Even with the 1st album, Big Girl was a bad choice. Even though it charted, a lot of people hated it, especially DJs. At one point Chris Moyles said it turned him off Mika (although he had no room to talk) but ironically, the only people to really appreciate that song, were real Big Girls. But I wasn't that keen on the song either. I don't think it helped Mika's credibility, especially with the awful video.

I don't know why people don't like Big Girl I LOVE THAT SONG and I am not big :aah: I think it's very cool and :groovy:

Amazingly, you only have to sell 10,000 - 15,000 CDs (or downloads) to make it to the no. 1 spot in the UK these days so I think the sales figures are kind of irrelevant. (Fifteen years ago, you had to sell about 350,000!) :shocked:

Yes so shocking and sad. :aah: But at least if an album is #1 it has the potential to stay high in the charts and continue selling slowly but surely. But what chance is there now that Mika is going to sell more than 10,000 - 15,000 copies of TOOL IN TOTAL now that it's fallen off the charts? :huh:

I don't know why people don't like Big Girl I LOVE THAT SONG and I am not big :aah: I think it's very cool and :groovy:

It wasn't so much, the fans, but the critics and the DJs who didn't like it. I didn't think it was the best choice for a single either. I didn't hate it, but it didn't grab me like GK, LT and HE did. But of course, that's in the past now. I just wish I knew how to get the UK to buy this album. At the moment it looks like its not going to happen. I just hope that, maybe, its on a lot of peoples'Christmas lists and the sales will pick up as Christmastime comes closeer.

I don't particularly like it, and I am a big girl. I just feel embarrassed. And I know I'm not beautiful, so don't patronize me, Mika.

I think it's too simplistic to blame the lack of sales in the UK on a choice of single.

Since he doesn't lead a tabloid-worthy life and he's not an up and coming artist anymore I'm afraid the UK have forgotten about him and it doesn't matter what the singles are or what is on the album because people don't know or care that he's still making music. I feel uncomfortable even talking about this on a public forum but I didn't think it was possible to only sell 6000 albums so something is really wrong here and I don't think a different choice of single is going to sort it out.

I totally agree.

As I was being transfered from the carpark to the airport yesterday to go to the Amsterdam gig the driver asked me where I was going. So I told her that I was going to Amsterdam to see Mika as I was a huge Mika fan and I went to as many gigs as I could.

'Oh really?' she said in an incredulous manner...................and never spoke another word to me the whole journey! :shocked:

This is a typical UK reaction.

Well done on the brother front Laurel :thumb_yello:

I think it's too simplistic to blame the lack of sales in the UK on a choice of single. Except perhaps for the fact that there haven't been any standout singles the past two albums. (I would argue even Grace Kelly wasn't a standout single, it just happened to work in the UK at that particular time and wasn't THE single in other markets.)

Mika spends way too long making albums and completely disappears in the process. He has to start from scratch trying to rebuild his career every time he launches an album but he is missing the key ingredient that launched him in 2007: hype. He is never going to be the "new sound of 2007" again.

On the first album there were many standout songs (probably different ones working in each coutnry, like here we had Big Girl as the most played one), on the second there were none. I couldn't point out any that would have worked better than WAG, anyway.

On this album, however, almost any song would have worked better than Celebrate, in my opinion. And that is what I find annoying. It is not about one liking the song or not. It is simply the wrong representation of the album in sound (it sounds old-fashioned dance music vs the very much current sound of Stardust, for example), the lyrics that were left in this version have no real story and neither are they witty that is characteristic of many Mika songs. And, of course, there is Pharrel's rap that , to me, is a total mismatch, making the song sound UNclassy and a desparate attempt for a chart return.

There may be more to a successful return to the UK charts than choose an outstandingly great song but it is a starting point. The reason I find it so sad is not that a song may fall short of expectations for many (Mika is 'allowed' to make mistakes ), but the fact that it really sounds to me like an originally good Mika song was manipulated to deliver success, and, consequently, failed to do so.

Otherwise, I think it was Mika's image that led to his downfall in the UK and it happened years ago. Let's be honest: there is a snobbish attitude to pop music over there. You are defined by how you look and act and the audience follows judgement of 'opinion leaders'. That's why Mika started out with such success : him announced as the BBC Voice of 2007 gave him credibility that lasted until his colourful image and ridiculous costumes appeared. Then everyone (incl. radio stations) backed out. It seems to be that in the UK you either play dumb, simplistic pop and act accordingly with regular tabloid appearance or act miserable to sell your 'alternative' pop stuff . You can't have it in-between. Even George Michael failed to do so and he is also being frowned upon by critics over there. His luck is his huge back catalogue and his age.

It wasn't so much, the fans, but the critics and the DJs who didn't like it. I didn't think it was the best choice for a single either. I didn't hate it, but it didn't grab me like GK, LT and HE did. But of course, that's in the past now. I just wish I knew how to get the UK to buy this album. At the moment it looks like its not going to happen. I just hope that, maybe, its on a lot of peoples'Christmas lists and the sales will pick up as Christmastime comes closeer.

The thing is... I think that right now BG is the Mika song I hear most on the radio in the Netherlands. I don't listen to the radio a lot, so it could just be by accident, but it seems that in the Netherlands that song has stuck. I don't think anyone thinks it's particularly good, but it is being played on radio even now.

The thing is... I think that right now BG is the Mika song I hear most on the radio in the Netherlands. I don't listen to the radio a lot, so it could just be by accident, but it seems that in the Netherlands that song has stuck. I don't think anyone thinks it's particularly good, but it is being played on radio even now.

Ironically, a few years ago (probably 2010) I was talking to a friend about Mika and she didn't know who he was. So I sang a bit of GK, she still didn't know, I tried LT HE and WAG. She still didn't know. So I went "Big Girl, you are beautiful", and she said. "OMG is that song HIS? I love that song and so do the children on the bus". (she worked with special needs kids and rode the bus with them each day) she said they played that song a lot on the bus and the kids loved it.