Uk charts: Mika disappoints

Mina Alisa

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's so sad for such a brilliant album, but the thing is there are so many people

that don't even know he has a 3rd album out, i know from the people i have spoke too:dunno: Just not enough promotion in the UK which is what he needs right now:sad:

It's so sad for such a brilliant album, but the thing is there are so many people

that don't even know he has a 3rd album out, i know from the people i have spoke too:dunno: Just not enough promotion in the UK which is what he needs right now:sad:

I don't think alot of people even know he had a second album out ... :teehee: Let's be honest here ... most people don't think he's done anything since 2007 :aah:

Stupid ... lack of knowledge and lack of music listening skills people :bash:

It's a defeatist attitude maybe, but I think it will take a miracle to revive Mika's fortunes in the UK now.

I prefer cult artists anyway :mikacool:

:thumb_yello: Yeah...........I don't mind being in the minority.

You never know though..............stranger things have happened than people suddenly 'coming back' in a big way. One never knows.

http://www.ozap.com/actu/charts-uk-leona-lewis-decoit-mika-degringole/443694

It says TOOL fell to #90 on the 2nd week in the UK (73%) with only 1465 copies sold :sad:

It's really sad.

In Asda's November mag TOOL is the only CD featured in the entertainment section.....................GREAT one may think.................but they are not actually stocking it!!!!!!!!!!!!:doh: Not in my local branch anyway.

I don't think alot of people even know he had a second album out ... :teehee: Let's be honest here ... most people don't think he's done anything since 2007 :aah:

Stupid ... lack of knowledge and lack of music listening skills people :bash:

Yeah, quite. X factor brainwashing.

'Mika dégringole en deuxième semaine'

[Mika plummet in second week]

from --

http://www.ozap.com/actu/charts-uk-leona-lewis-decoit-mika-degringole/443694

The problem is, even all of your twitter followers probably know about Mika. I wish there was something we could do to help him. We just need to get the news about Mika OUT THERE somehow.

Btw I answered two tweets yesterday from someone who'd Ist,tweeted a GLEE castmember, saying Mika's songs would be perfect for it. I was onto that tweet like a ton of bricks. I said I'd been saying that since GLEE began, and I added @GLEEonFOX twitter so it would go to their replies. Just thought I'd tell you. Then I answered another tweet where he/she mentioned a movie she thought Mika's music might be great in. I tweeted back, that his music is perfect for movies.

I know GLEE, and the movies are not UK. But the UK isn't in a box on its own like it used to be, before the internet. I think we have to look at the wider screen so-to-speak. Just get Mika anywhere we can. It'll get back to the UK.

But for now, in the UK, if Asda or another supermarket arn't stocking the album, go to Customer Services and say you want his album in the store. They'll put in a request, it's part of their job.

If it's displayed in the wrong place in HMVs, find a staff member and tell them. Also ask if they will PLAY the album in the store.

Make sure to tell all your friends and family how gret th album is. Play it to them. Throw a Mika party. I did that the other week when the concert on R2 was on, and my friends were impressed.

There may be other things we can think of if we rattle our grey-bits a little.

I keep thinking that when MIKA takes his charming self around the UK to do his PROMO things will pick up for him there.

But he was on quite a few things recently in the UK, on radio and TV.

I'm wondering if people are waiting for Christmastime, to either ask for TOOL as a Christmas present, or buy it for someone else.

Maybe I'm clutching at straws, but I'm hoping, since the album came out in October, ppl are thinking of getting it for Christmas.

i keep trying to avoid this thread but can't seem to be able to..:( i want to avoid it because it depresses me so - as someone said - the UK has definitely let him down... I can only take the word of you guys who know better as to what the problem might be, but would also like to add that he has a PR company...whilst i'm sure a lot of the promo efforts are up to the record company, shouldn't his PR company play a part too? :blink:

Maybe i'm just a naive fool but I feel lots of people are dropping the ball on promoting this album properly and it's sad, because of all the albums it's the most 'commercially viable' one...sad,, frustrating and enraging! :sneaky2:

i keep trying to avoid this thread but can't seem to be able to..:( i want to avoid it because it depresses me so - as someone said - the UK has definitely let him down... I can only take the word of you guys who know better as to what the problem might be, but would also like to add that he has a PR company...whilst i'm sure a lot of the promo efforts are up to the record company, shouldn't his PR company play a part too? :blink:

Maybe i'm just a naive fool but I feel lots of people are dropping the ball on promoting this album properly and it's sad, because of all the albums it's the most 'commercially viable' one...sad,, frustrating and enraging! :sneaky2:

well, I've been trying to avoid it too but here my 2 cents...

I see the promotion of an album as a marathon rather than a sprint. It's not because it's not instant success that everything is lost. And he can,t be everywhere at the same time.

Don't know if you know Adam Cohen (Leonard Cohen's son). He put up an album last october (2011) and sells were OK but he was on Tout le monde en parle 3 weeks ago (Mika did that show in 2009) and following that, his album went from 115 to top 10 in the charts, a year after the album was launch.

Best we can do is keep the faith:thumb_yello:

I see the promotion of an album as a marathon rather than a sprint. It's not because it's not instant success that everything is lost. And he can,t be everywhere at the same time.

Don't know if you know Adam Cohen (Leonard Cohen's son). He put up an album last october (2011) and sells were OK but he was on Tout le monde en parle 3 weeks ago (Mika did that show in 2009) and following that, his album went from 115 to top 10 in the charts, a year after the album was launch.

Best we can do is keep the faith:thumb_yello:

Mika must come back to Tout le monde en parle. :naughty: No choice.

There is a phrase...........albeit a not very polite one which mentions 'Pi**ing into the wind' :mf_rosetinted:.

I know it is a defeatist attitude but one can't help feeling like that........I certainly do anyway.

I think that Mika has been on a broader range of shows here in the UK this time around....he does seem to be doing things (like Sunday Brunch for example) that he probably wouldn't have done last time.

But once again it seems odd (as Rose mentioned) to release the album here then go off touring elsewhere. He did that in 09 and it didn't work then so why do it again?

He has three dates here so far....all at small venues and none of which are sold out. :mf_rosetinted:

Seriously, what are the hopes of a 'proper' tour?

I totally agree with that but I'm not sure if Mika and/or his label approaches it that way. Sometimes I think his relative overnight success in 2007 was a curse as much as a blessing. The expectations are too high.

Even Adele's stratospheric success took a couple of years and other British artists like Paolo Nutini were gigging in bars and opening for other artists for many years before their first albums. Mika went from nowhere to the #1 song in the UK before his album was even released.

I also think some of the UK backlash/disinterest is due to the initial hype in 2007 and his Ivor Novello win. He was touted as a brilliant songwriter and the second coming of Freddie Mercury and anything that is not perceived to live up to that is panned. He seems to be judged by what was deemed to be his potential instead of held up against his peers in the top 40 charts.

Some of the criticism is not without warrant but compared to what people are actually listening to the criticisms seem minor, if not absurd.

I really think he should keep chipping away at the US. There are so many thousands and maybe even millions of people who would love his music if they only knew about it.

I totally agree with that but I'm not sure if Mika and/or his label approaches it that way. Sometimes I think his relative overnight success in 2007 was a curse as much as a blessing. The expectations are too high.

Even Adele's stratospheric success took a couple of years and other British artists like Paolo Nutini were gigging in bars and opening for other artists for many years before their first albums. Mika went from nowhere to the #1 song in the UK before his album was even released.

I also think some of the UK backlash/disinterest is due to the initial hype in 2007 and his Ivor Novello win. He was touted as a brilliant songwriter and the second coming of Freddie Mercury and anything that is not perceived to live up to that is panned. He seems to be judged by what was deemed to be his potential instead of held up against his peers in the top 40 charts.

Some of the criticism is not without warrant but compared to what people are actually listening to the criticisms seem minor, if not absurd.

I really think he should keep chipping away at the US. There are so many thousands and maybe even millions of people who would love his music if they only knew about it.

I very much agree with your points - it was a hell of a 'start' to have to live up to. The fact that Mika has had huge success elsewhere - and in other areas of his career is largely unknown in the UK.

It really is great to see Mika at least getting a foothold in the US. Of course I would love to see him do well here but I always enjoy seeing him do well anywhere.

He has three dates here so far....all at small venues and none of which are sold out. :mf_rosetinted:

Yes this is really shocking to me. The Roundhouse is no bigger than the two nights in NYC and NYC was sold out within a day when the second show was not even advertised in advance. And it's not like it was the same people at both shows. Even many of the MFCers skipped the second show so I think it was pretty much a fresh audience for the second night.

When Duffy's second album flopped her tour was cancelled and she just disappeared. If it wasn't for Mika's success in other countries I'm afraid the same thing would happen here. :huh:

Yes this is really shocking to me. The Roundhouse is no bigger than the two nights in NYC and NYC was sold out within a day when the second show was not even advertised in advance. And it's not like it was the same people at both shows. Even many of the MFCers skipped the second show so I think it was pretty much a fresh audience for the second night.

When Duffy's second album flopped her tour was cancelled and she just disappeared. If it wasn't for Mika's success in other countries I'm afraid the same thing would happen here. :huh:

Yes.....it is probably for that very reason that a full tour hasn't been arranged. :mf_rosetinted:

But he's had really some really good TV spots here- lots of people will have seen him. They just don't want to buy his album

Here being Canada? I'm afraid it'll happen in the UK. People simply don't want to know, p*ssing into the wind, like Kath said.

But... is it my imagination, or are even UK MFCers less enthusiastic on average than the rest of the MFC?

Because frankly it wouldn't have mattered what the single was. It wouldn't have got played anyway.

I don't think so. Celebrate didn't do well anywhere. In theory he has a second chance with the second single but of course with that one he won't get much media exposure any more.

I am still positive that good songs do get played on UK radio.

Stardust is a much better choice for the UK market.

I agree. Anywhere, probably.

But he was on quite a few things recently in the UK, on radio and TV.

I'm wondering if people are waiting for Christmastime, to either ask for TOOL as a Christmas present, or buy it for someone else.

Maybe I'm clutching at straws, but I'm hoping, since the album came out in October, ppl are thinking of getting it for Christmas.

REMEMBER ?

'In MIKA WE TRUST'

Because frankly it wouldn't have mattered what the single was. It wouldn't have got played anyway.

I agree with Kath here.

Besides, we all have different favourites- there just isn't an obvious single- and that WILL work in his favour in the UK. Serious bands tend not to make the singles charts, only the album charts. Mika is sort of crossing over IMO. TOOL needs to be listened to as a combining, contrasting whole to be fully appreciated.

Edited by Soaring Simpson

But he's had really some really good TV spots here- lots of people will have seen him. They just don't want to buy his album

Here being Canada? I'm afraid it'll happen in the UK. People simply don't want to know, p*ssing into the wind, like Kath said.

But... is it my imagination, or are even UK MFCers less enthusiastic on average than the rest of the MFC?

It is difficult (for some people) to remain enthusiastic in the face of adversity. There was no lack of enthusiasm amongst UK MFCers in the early days.

I am still positive that good songs do get played on UK radio.

I agree. Anywhere, probably.

Yes they do. But sadly not Mika's very often. I would love Stardust to be the second single and be played all over the UK - but I really can't see it happening.

I don't mind being wrong though!

REMEMBER ?

'In MIKA WE TRUST'

We do. It's the rest of the UK that's the problem though. :aah:

But once again it seems odd (as Rose mentioned) to release the album here then go off touring elsewhere. He did that in 09 and it didn't work then so why do it again?

Yes.....it is probably for that very reason that a full tour hasn't been arranged. :mf_rosetinted:

I can't understand this either. It almost seems that he has his finger in so many pies that something has got to give. In this case it's the UK promo.

I was banking on there being a proper tour - or at least more UK dates for this tour after Christmas - as I can't go to the Manchester gig in December without some serious hassle and upheaval. Now I'm thinking it might be my only chance and I'm stressing about it now. I just never thought it would come to this, with this album. Perhaps we are jumping the gun a bit in worrying about a lack of further dates, but I do still worry! I want to see him again and I'm just not able to travel all over Europe to where he chooses to tour..:blink:

Good points, and I agree.

. . .

Mt prediction:

MIKA's 'stick-to-it-tiveness' WILL pay off . . .

tumblr_lgxn1cv3Xa1qf76m1o1_500_large.jpg

Edited by A. Clay