Uk charts: Mika disappoints

Mina Alisa

Celebrate is played every four hours in Radio Cidade here...

And since the beginning of the month they started playing Tool too...

Which isn't bad as it is the most played radio in town (for young people) and they simply ignored his second album 3 years ago...:dunno:

That's good to hear. :thumb_yello:

Same down here, Heart FM haven't played it when I've listened.

I would have thought that he would have gone to be interviewed there, as well as Capital and Absolute radio, being the big 3 independants down this end of the UK, but he hasn't.

I'm surprised mostly because Capital radio in London have supported him in the past!

It's as if there is a conspiracy.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In the iTunes list MIKA is # 1 in America but not in the UK and # 10 in France , but I thought MIKA was better known in france and the UK much better than America :blink: That was shocking to me , And since I live in America * brags about it in school :naughty: *

He was #1 when he release the album and stay on top for a while before going down. :wink2: Let's see how long he'll be in the top 10 in USA (a long time I wish but if it's the same thing as Canada...)

The radio here I just playing Elle me dit sometimes on the most popular radio (CKOI, they have a contest to win a trip to Paris to see Mika but they are not playing his music, ironic...). On some other radios they are playing Elle me dit too, Karen, but also Relax few times a day... Oh and I heard Celebrate once but it's been a while now.

Edited by Alie

He was #1 when he release the album and stay on top for a while before going down. :wink2: Let's see how long he'll be in the top 10 in USA (a long time I wish but if it's the same thing as Canada...)

The radio here I just playing Elle me dit sometimes on the most popular radio (CKOI, they have a contest to win a trip to Paris to see Mika but they are not playing his music, ironic...). On some other radios they are playing Elle me dit too, Karen, but also Relax few times a day... Oh and I heard Celebrate once but it's been a while now.

Yeah ! someone should record how long :blush-anim-cl:

My mother fliped to the " Montreal " station or something It was all in french , but to get to the point Elle ma dit was on and I was like YEAAHHH!!!

Phhhssttt ironic :mf_rosetinted:

It doesn't help that there's no obvious single. I know a lot of people on here are ranting on about how everything would be different if their favourite song had been chosen as the first single- but we've just about all got different favourites and it'll be the same with the public

Are we sure Simon Cowell has nothing to do with it? I'm talking seriously. :blink:

Well it's a thought.

He is of course responsible for brainwashing at least 90% of the uks youth.

And he does like things his own way and obvioisly made a massive error of judgement when it came to Mika.

It doesn't help that there's no obvious single. I know a lot of people on here are ranting on about how everything would be different if their favourite song had been chosen as the first single- but we've just about all got different favourites and it'll be the same with the public

But a single was selected - even if not many of us feel that it was the right one. And if it had been released at the beginning of this summer it might have helped - but it might not have made any difference regarding air play.

Like Marilyn said, R1 aren't interested in him for some reason. What makes me really angry about that, is Nick Grimshaw, Scott Mills and Sara Cox are all fans, so why don't they push for his records in the midweek playlist meetings? It's like R1 only care if it's the rubbish boring formulaic music that's doing the rounds now. Apparently Mika doesn't seem to fit in their mould now. They have absolutely no imagination.

And yes, it is the general UK that have let him down. :aah:

He has done some publicity here. He had the two gigs, for R2 and Real Radio, and he's been in the papers. But Radio One is the compas that people seem to go to for music they play. The weekly chart is on R1.

Should we all go to the website and send messages to these Djs who are meant to be fans?

I say that, because twitter is great, but you can't really say much with 140 characters. But with a decent message length we could ask why Mika isn't being played, especially when he's doing so well in USA so is certainly relevant.

Certainly we could use twitter as well, but there would need to be a lot of people tweeting @BBCR1 They'll take no notice is they see the same usernames on the tweets. So everyone on here who is from the UK, could ask their own UK followers to get involved and give R1 a tweet each. Even if they're not exactly fans of Mika, but fans of, say, Jedward, 1D or JB, they could still do a tweet for Mika. We could pay them back in kind, one day. It's all about letting them know we still want Mika on the radio.

I can't believe we are talking abut this in the UK of all places. If anyone had told me, back in 2007 that this would happen, I'd never have believed them.

It isn't. I'll have to do some reshuffling tomorrow. :mf_rosetinted:

The best thing is not to shuffle them aroung, but find the manager and tell him/her they've put Mika's album in the wrong catagory. It's okay to be firm with them, Let them know it means a lot to you, to see the album in the right place. Then they'll know that Mika does have loyal fans,

TOOL dropped from #24 to #90 on its second week in the UK http://www.officialcharts.com/albums-chart/ :sad: How many albums he had to sell to be #90 this week? A hundred? :aah:

Ugh im so angry about this! Im gonna kill his manager he needs more promo! But maybe it isnt his fault, some people just have a very bad taste of music :sneaky2: uk should support him!

Well, it looks like the album has dropped to #63 on the US iTunes chart (#13 on the Pop albums chart), but at least it's THERE on the charts. I'm not sure how that equates to sales, but I'm hoping there will be an uptick after these LA concert-goers see him and have a chance to go home and buy the album. :thumb_yello:

I'm so upset about the UK. He worked so hard, but it was all bits & pieces. One interview on R1, and some airplay, would have been better than all those piddling little radio-stations with hardly any listeneers.

I emailed Radio One last week. I clicked onto the @BBCR1 twitter and the website was written on there. I went onto the site and sent an email to that Nick Grimshaw, asking why Mika wasn't being played?

I've also RTd the tweets I've seen others do, to Radio One (thanks to those who've tweeted)

But if other UK people arn't getting in touch, they won't know Mika has fans.

Some things I'm hoping for...

I'm hoping that Mika can sustain his USA success. While he's in LA he needs to take any opportunity that comes his way, to have a song in a movie, to write for other artists, to even BE in a movie if someone asks him or to go on a show to talk about his music, or music in general. Anything really.

I'm also hoping the video for Uw sill be sensational. A great pop video would help so much. That Gangnam Style song got popular with the help of the video, so did Thriller, so did Take On Me, so did Telephone and Paparazzi. It makes a big difference.

A video where Mika is ripping up half the rainforest was never going to help him if he wasn't on top already, even if they did recycle it afterwards. An imaginative, fantasy video might just do it for him.

I suppose we'll have to see what happens. But maybe Mika will never be top of the UK again. I do think the likes of Simon Cowell have a lot to do with it. Mika will not be the only true artist to suffer because of the UK's purile obsession with X Craptor. I never watch it. I'd sooner watch Merlin and Casualty anyway, but I'd never watch X Craptor again on principle

I am gutted for Mika.

It's as if there is a conspiracy.

Why would it be? I don't play Celebrate, either.:dunno:

Let's hope Stardust will make it to their playlist. It certainly sounds more 'current' and I am keeping my fingers crossed Mika has not lost his chance with the UK radio stations yet in terms of his comeback.

Let's hope Stardust will make it to their playlist. It certainly sounds more 'current' and I am keeping my fingers crossed Mika has not lost his chance with the UK radio stations yet in terms of his comeback.

Because frankly it wouldn't have mattered what the single was. It wouldn't have got played anyway.

Well I do agree that Celebrate isn't the best song, but it's still better than a lot of the songs they play. It's just not the best Mika-song. Anyway, we can do nothing about that, but if he releases Uw with a great video, maybe that will work without the radio's help. It does seem to be Uw, rather than Stardust and tbh, if the Uw vid is really good, I'll be happy for it to be the UK single.

Lets face it, he's got nothing to loose. As @Kath just said, they were never going to play Mika anyway.

Edited by Marilyn Mastin

Well I do agree that Celebrate isn't the best song, but it's still better than a lot of the songs they play. It's just not the best Mika-song. Anyway, we can do nothing about that, but if he releases Uw with a great video, maybe that will work without the radio's help. It does seem to be Uw, rather than Stardust and tbh, if the Uw vid is really good, I'll be happy for it to be the UK single.

Lets face it, he's got nothing to loose. As @Kath just said, they were never going to play Mika anyway.

It'a all rather confusing though isn't it Marilyn as the sticker on the CD clearly says 'includes the singles Celebrate and Stardust' - let's hope it not another debacle like the Rain/BIOTG's carry on.

I thought Underwater was being released as the next single in France.

Stardust is a much better choice for the UK market. Though I think Popular Song might do OK as well.

Yep - Stardust or Popular would be much bettwer than UW here I reckon.

But I still don't think it will make much difference unfortunately.

Because frankly it wouldn't have mattered what the single was. It wouldn't have got played anyway.

I agree, sadly. :huh: He seems to have effectively been blacklisted in the UK.

It was released 2 weeks ago.

I agree, sadly. :huh: He seems to have effectively been blacklisted in the UK.

It was released 2 weeks ago.

I agree as well though sad as it is ... he's just not relevant or cool enough for us here ... which is ridiculous ... :dunno:

When we spoke to him the other week,he said he was going to meetings about the UW video. I asked him if that was going to be the next single, and he said in Europe. I asked if it would be here, and he said he wasn't sure.

So It could be that they make Stardust the next single here, we'll just have to wait and see.

Where to begin with this? :dunno:

We need to face facts: Mika's just completely out of fashion here at the moment. The powers that be in the industry (those who decide what gets promoted and what is going to sell e.g. Radio 1 bosses) lost interest years ago and the listening/buying public has inevitably moved on. That is the long and the short of it.

It's a defeatist attitude maybe, but I think it will take a miracle to revive Mika's fortunes in the UK now.

I prefer cult artists anyway :mikacool:

Stardust is a much better choice for the UK market. Though I think Popular Song might do OK as well.

Nothing is going to do well here if Radio One won't play him. But it doesn't help either that his record company are as usefull as a chocolate teapot.

I do believe it's not just Mika who's suffering because of people like Simon Cowell and the Radio One Djs.

But Mika will have to find other ways to promote himself. I just hope he succeeds. I'd love him to wipe the smirks off the two-faces on each of those DJs!