Mika confirms new single 'Origin of Love'

DerMoment1608

How is it even possible that we are discussing that Mika,a guy with a contract with Universal CANT make a promotion?? Isnt this guy the same one who made GK popular JUST FROM HIS MYSPACE ACCOUNT?? :shocked:

Seriously,something is wrong if when he wasnt known yet he managed to get his song number one,and now that he is touring the world,appearing in shows etc he cant make the songs reach people. Dont you think its odd??

Edited by basicamenteyo

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How is it ever possible that we are discussing that Mika,a guy with a contract with Universal CANT make a promotion?? Isnt this guy the same one who made GK popular JUST FROM HIS MYSPACE ACCOUNT?? :shocked:

Grace Kelly was popular because it was on every radio station in the UK so it shot to #1 a week after it was released. He had been touted as BBC's Sound of 2007. There was tons and tons of hype. The first time I heard GK I was paying close attention because the DJ was going on and on about how Mika was the second coming of Freddie Mercury, etc. before he played the track on London's #1 pop radio station at that time.

You know there could be a million factors to explain why Mika is having difficulty promoting right now. Poor choice of single, not enough backing from the record company, etc., etc.

But it still comes down to one thing IMO and that is disappearing and waiting too long between albums. If he had retained that audience of millions of people who bought LICM he wouldn't need to win them back. He wouldn't need TV adverts to remind them that he's still alive. He wouldn't need a strong single because people would give the album a listen based on the strength of his previous songs. Happy Ending came out in late 2007 and was still being played on popular radio stations in the UK. If he'd had another single in early 2008 it would have been played as well whether it was WAG or Celebrate or whatever. He would have just been able to continue riding that wave that started in 2007. Just like Rihanna and Katy Perry and Justin Bieber and all these other pop stars with less talent who keep it going all the time.

He is starting over from scratch every time and every time he is going to lose a little bit more of that core audience and will need more and more resources to try to win them back.

It should at the very least, have been advertised on TV properly. I keep seeing ads for aother albums, but I've never once seen an ad for TOOL.

Didn't Mika do some interview a while ago? I thiught it was for something like an album show. Similar to that Mika Through The Looking Glass thing he did with the 2nd album. I think in the interview he was saying something like, "I go into the studio and see Nick on the computer and also the 22 year old from the internet." It was something like that he was saying.

Anyway, when is that going to be aired? I haven't seen it yet, but he was wonderful in the interview, and the other guy was lovely too.

I think you're referring to the interview Mika did with Nick Grimshaw, Marilyn -- and I don't think that was made for television. I believe that was part of what they call the "EPK" or Electronic Press Kit, to go along with the track by track videos, which are sent out as a package to promote the album. If you look at Andy Dermanis's site, you'll see he says, "Shot the track by track and EPK for Mika’s new album ‘The Origin of Love’. It featured an interview with the brilliant Nick Grimshaw." And then it links to the video on Vimeo, with the title "MIKA - The Origin of Love EPK."

http://vimeo.com/49074330#

In any case, I'm not sure that we'll ever see that on TV. :dunno:

How is it even possible that we are discussing that Mika,a guy with a contract with Universal CANT make a promotion?? Isnt this guy the same one who made GK popular JUST FROM HIS MYSPACE ACCOUNT??

That's not how it happened at all. He won a prestigious critics award from BBC BEFORE the album or even the single GK was released. (same award Adele won the following year). He was basically declared as the singer to look out for in 2007. So, there was much expectation around the album by the media : he was all over the press , tv and radio. I first heard him on UK radio even before the release of GK. Back then all his live appearances suggested a restrained, more indie type of image until the album launch that had a circus theme. It was around that time that the press started to frown upon the 'hype' , mock his voice and even stopped playing him at some stations in the UK, even at the one (Virgin) I was listening that time and despite the fact that they did support him first.

Edited by suzie

Grace Kelly was popular because it was on every radio station in the UK so it shot to #1 a week after it was released. He had been touted as BBC's Sound of 2007. There was tons and tons of hype. The first time I heard GK I was paying close attention because the DJ was going on and on about how Mika was the second coming of Freddie Mercury, etc. before he played the track on London's #1 pop radio station at that time.

You know there could be a million factors to explain why Mika is having difficulty promoting right now. Poor choice of single, not enough backing from the record company, etc., etc.

But it still comes down to one thing IMO and that is disappearing and waiting too long between albums. If he had retained that audience of millions of people who bought LICM he wouldn't need to win them back. He wouldn't need TV adverts to remind them that he's still alive. He wouldn't need a strong single because people would give the album a listen based on the strength of his previous songs. Happy Ending came out in late 2007 and was still being played on popular radio stations in the UK. If he'd had another single in early 2008 it would have been played as well whether it was WAG or Celebrate or whatever. He would have just been able to continue riding that wave that started in 2007. Just like Rihanna and Katy Perry and Justin Bieber and all these other pop stars with less talent who keep it going all the time.

He is starting over from scratch every time and every time he is going to lose a little bit more of that core audience and will need more and more resources to try to win them back.

I think you pretty much nailed it, that's my opinion too. Mika is famous in France right now because he's still riding on the EMD wave and now the new album keeps him on top.

And that's sad actually, because the album gets better and he has time to travel around the world if it goes some years between the albums, but during that time people forget him.

I totally agree, Christine.

:thumb_yello: agree! He cant just disappear, come back out of the blue and hope to make an album popular, top the charts, or even just sell an appropiate amount of albums. Hes starting from scratch every time and without the right promotion he wont go anywhere! Its sad cause i love this album so much and i think its the one that has more potential to be famous, and without touring in 2013 i dont know what may happen with the sells! Its just all too odd, but yeah i think we should trust Mika this time! Crossing my fingers!

According to these days reports, Mika says like he's going back to studio soon, won't have bigger shows next year things .. Think He's not very optimistic on this situation and singles these days... Underwater or OOL or whatever.. :sad:

Clearly he needs to meet new ppl who have ability to help him to be Top again.

Goodbye Nick Littlemore.

Really? Wow. Um... yeah, wow. Do I sound really disloyal if I say that I'm happy to hear that?

I think you're referring to the interview Mika did with Nick Grimshaw, Marilyn -- and I don't think that was made for television. I believe that was part of what they call the "EPK" or Electronic Press Kit, to go along with the track by track videos, which are sent out as a package to promote the album. If you look at Andy Dermanis's site, you'll see he says, "Shot the track by track and EPK for Mika’s new album ‘The Origin of Love’. It featured an interview with the brilliant Nick Grimshaw." And then it links to the video on Vimeo, with the title "MIKA - The Origin of Love EPK."

http://vimeo.com/49074330#

In any case, I'm not sure that we'll ever see that on TV. :dunno:

Thanks for posting that Deb. That was interesting watching and I know it's probably been posted elsewhere in a thread on here but I would never have seen it, having been MIA.

Yeah... then it is hard to solve this issue... cause obviously he cant be in two different places at the same time. He cant be touring and in the studio at the same time. And I cant imagine Mika singing someone elses songs as Justin or Katy do...

Maybe he was really exausted after the imaginarium tour and really needed to disappear for that long. And maybe he wont need to do it again,who knows. But yes,if he needs two years to make an album he will probably drown next time... What I still cant understand is: if he writes songs in 4 minutes.... why being in studio for 8 months? I know mixing and editing needs time,but seriously,working 8 hours per day on 15 songs during 8 months (not on weekends) means 1280 hours. Divided among 15 songs... its a lot of time. :aah: Maybe he has too many projects apart from his album. I dont know,but among all the things I thought that could happen with this album,what is actually happening wasnt in my mind at all. I doubted between a deserved success with pple greeting him every day at every radio station and a less great success with only half of the radio stations greeting him and the other half criticising him. But this lack of anything is actually scaring.

That's not how it happened at all. He won a prestigious critics award from BBC BEFORE the album or even the single GK was released. (same award Adele won the following year). He was basically declared as the singer to look out for in 2007. So, there was much expectation around the album by the media : he was all over the press , tv and radio. I first heard him on UK radio even before the release of GK. Back then all his live appearances suggested a restrained, more indie type of image until the album launch that had a circus theme. It was around that time that the press started to frown upon the 'hype' , mock his voice and even stopped playing him at some stations in the UK, even at the one (Virgin) I was listening that time and despite the fact that they did support him first.

Yes,but I mean that he got more people listening to GK through his MySpace than he has now with OOL.

I dont know,I was absolutely sure he would do it this time,that he was going to get what his music deserves,not what his public image deserves. Whoever needs to put more effort in this (Mika,Iain,Label Barclay,Universal or Donal Duck) should start doing it right now. Or this loop wont be his this time either...

I remember when TBWKTM came out. I was convinced he'd have another #1 album, because, if Relax was re-released in 2008 (it should have been a different song imo) then there was only about 20 months or so before the 2nd album, and before that SFS, although most of the songs were on the album in the end, so SFS was a bit of a waste of time. It would have been better if he hadn't made the EP as a limited edition, and putting some new songs on the album instead of BE and TB. He could have done that. Surely he knows how much we all still love HMDYLM and really miss that song.

I've done a bit of rabbiting on, but my point is, surely people should not have forgotten Mika after 20 months? But unfortunately the album didn't get above #4 in the charts. I admit I was surprised. But of course the first single was WAG, and although it's a good song, people did make fun of it, and the, dancing-round-the-bedroom-in-the underpants video. It seemed after that, that Mika fell out of favour and hasn't been played on many radio stations since. Its very sad.

I'm sure you are right. I mean it's just logical, the shorter he keeps time between his albums the better the audience can remember him. But he wanted to have a break and now he just needs to work in the current situation so I hope Origin (as a single) and the UW video will do good. The album IS good and many of these small venues were sold out during this tour so I can't see why he couldn't sell a bit bigger ones at least in some countries and with a proper promotion? I still think he is at his best at smaller, special venues/acoustic and hope he will do more smaller concerts in the future. Special venues suits his style so well...

And I really hope he is not doing his decisions according to what makes him more famous :blink: Surely he has some values in his life? Like his family and relationship and enjoying his work and writing songs?

And I really hope he is not doing his decisions according to what makes him more famous :blink: Surely he has some values in his life? Like his family and relationship and enjoying his work and writing songs?

He can do whatever he wants in his life but his decisions have consequences. This idea that you can just do whatever you want whenever you want to and the world owes you the same level of success that is enjoyed by the people at the very top of your profession is absurd. When does anyone's life work like that? Mine doesn't. Yes Mika has amazing talent and it's a shame that more people don't experience it the way we do but why is he exempt from all the rules everyone else has to live by?

That is not to say that he can't do whatever he wants. It's not to say that he can't be very succesful doing the things he enjoys. But IF it turns out that he's not as successful selling albums as other people who are at the top of his profession then in all likelihood we can't expect him to tour the way those people do. And I don't know how much you can blame that on TV stations, radio, his record label, etc. There are hundreds, even thousands of people out there who are talented and struggling to get the attention that theiir talent deserves.

He can do whatever he wants in his life but his decisions have consequences. This idea that you can just do whatever you want whenever you want to and the world owes you the same level of success that is enjoyed by the people at the very top of your profession is absurd. When does anyone's life work like that? Mine doesn't. Yes Mika has amazing talent and it's a shame that more people don't experience it the way we do but why is he exempt from all the rules everyone else has to live by?

That is not to say that he can't do whatever he wants. It's not to say that he can't be very succesful doing the things he enjoys. But IF it turns out that he's not as successful selling albums as other people who are at the top of his profession then in all likelihood we can't expect him to tour the way those people do. And I don't know how much you can blame that on TV stations, radio, his record label, etc. There are hundreds, even thousands of people out there who are talented and struggling to get the attention that theiir talent deserves.

Yes, I see your point and agree with it. And I'm sure Mika can see the consequences and is taking risks on purpose. Still it looks to me that sometimes he can see the situation but is not free to make his own decisions, at least that was the impression I got for example when he talked about choosing the first single (at album listening event).

Yes, I see your point and agree with it. And I'm sure Mika can see the consequences and is taking risks on purpose. Still it looks to me that sometimes he can see the situation but is not free to make his own decisions, at least that was the impression I got for example when he talked about choosing the first single (at album listening event).

I just think that things like single choice are not that important in the grand scheme of things. Rihanna releases crap singles all the time. When I, my stockbroker, the people who make my bagel in the morning or Justin Bieber take time to spend with our families and on our relationships, etc. we get one or two days a week. Mika has been out of sight and out of mind for HALF of his career. I know he works hard and it's not like he's just laying on a beach or something. But he is not focusing on this one career of being a popstar. Or at least it doesn't look like that to the public when he is hiding. That is part of the job now - connecting with fans and making yourself visible all the time. Yes you get time off of the job, but time off means a day or two, a week or two, not a year or two. Everyone from a toilet cleaner to the Queen of England has to balance their work and leisure responsibilities that way. Unless you win the lottery, that's life.

I just think that things like single choice are not that important in the grand scheme of things. Rihanna releases crap singles all the time. When I, my stockbroker, the people who make my bagel in the morning or Justin Bieber take time to spend with our families and on our relationships, etc. we get one or two days a week. Mika has been out of sight and out of mind for HALF of his career. I know he works hard and it's not like he's just laying on a beach or something. But he is not focusing on this one career of being a popstar. Or at least it doesn't look like that to the public when he is hiding. That is part of the job now - connecting with fans and making yourself visible all the time. Yes you get time off of the job, but time off means a day or two, a week or two, not a year or two. Everyone from a toilet cleaner to the Queen of England has to balance their work and leisure responsibilities that way. Unless you win the lottery, that's life.

I understand what you mean, personally I just see it differently. Hiding and taking some private time is his song writing time and I think he is doing his pop star responsibilities when he is on stage, meets his fans, tweets, writes columns, films videos etc. He seems to really need some time for himself/his own creativity and I can totally understand it. Sometimes people need freedom, and as you said, he is not laying on a beach but working hard (and if you ask me he can spend time on a beach as much as he likes).

There might be some cultural differences here? In Finland people are less work oriented than in other industrial countries/work shorter hours than international average. Also, Finnish children start their school years later than kids in most countries but at age of 10 their level is already internationally high (the Finnish education system is actually quite famous). This has nothing to do with Mika, just trying to explain my point of view, for me his hiding and taking time off looks just natural. Kids need time to be kids, adults need time and space to "think" and focus. But I am selfish too, and if he goes back to the studio instead of touring more I will be sad, of course, and I hope he will do at least festivals and some smaller shows and keep us updated by writing columns or blogs.

I guess I need to consider moving to Finland seriously :teehee:

I really cannot judge what's happening in Mika's career properly, and I think that time will tell.

What I would like is that Mika and his management and Universal read what we all have to say and think things over. Because we might be fans 'only', but we get our pulse of the situation, maybe more than all their statistics.

I understand what you mean, personally I just see it differently. Hiding and taking some private time is his song writing time and I think he is doing his pop star responsibilities when he is on stage, meets his fans, tweets, writes columns, films videos etc.

But that's a full time job. Other pop stars are doing it all the time, not taking 2 year breaks. There was a long period of time there when he wasn't even taking 15 seconds to tweet.

He seems to really need some time for himself/his own creativity and I can totally understand it.

I also understand it. Believe me if I was worth £8 million I would do absolutely nothing for the rest of my life. :roftl:

But the rest of the world doesn't revolve around his needs and you can't change the rest of the world. It doesn't matter how you see it or how I see it. The situation is what it is. It's not governed by Finnish culture. Mika is competing with other artists to get on the radio, to get promotional backing from his record company, to sell records.

Anyway I don't want to keep belaboring this point. Mika can do whatever he wants. It's not that I don't understand him or agree with his approach. I am just the messenger.

I used to be on the other side of this argument. I didn't think it mattered when Mika took 18 months to get a second album out after the Dodgy Holiday Tour was over. I didn't understand people moaning about it on MFC and I assumed that he could pick right back up where he left off as soon as the album was launched. But it didn't quite pan out that way.

Now he's taken even more time off and it's having an even bigger impact. I don't think it's just conjecture either. I know fans who've been around since the very early days. Ones who were here every day during the break between LICM and TBWKTM. But they've given up now. 3 years between albums when your career is only 6 years old is too long.

But Mika is clearly not the only one pop singer who is taking more than 12 months to release a new album?

Do we really want him to be like one of those prefabricated singers/groups like Bieber or One Direction?

What I don't like is the lack of promo/consideration that some markets get. Quebec being one of them. Besides a few interviews tapped while he was at the balloon festival a month before the album was released, there was nothing else... And it,s not because lack of sales, because the album IS selling. I can only imagine what it could be with a proper promo plan (and a few shows).

But Mika is clearly not the only one pop singer who is taking more than 12 months to release a new album?

Do we really want him to be like one of those prefabricated singers/groups like Bieber or One Direction?

You don't have to be prefabricated to not take half your career off between albums. Besides there is a difference between making an album and dropping off the face of the earth. Katy Perry has had a gap since her last album but she hasn't dropped off the face of the earth. When even your hardcore fans have no idea what you are doing from one month to the next people are going to forget about you.

Of course people like Britney Spears or Madonna can get away with it. But they paid their dues in the early days of their career.

What I don't like is the lack of promo/consideration that some markets get. Quebec being one of them. Besides a few interviews tapped while he was at the balloon festival a month before the album was released, there was nothing else... And it,s not because lack of sales, because the album IS selling. I can only imagine what it could be with a proper promo plan (and a few shows).

Yes that's another story. :aah:

I guess I need to consider moving to Finland seriously :teehee:

You know, my husband has a demanding job but if he gets a phone call after 5-6 PM he won't answer (unless he is expecting a call). I know people who work until 9 PM and it doesn't make them happy, it makes them tired.

But that's a full time job. Other pop stars are doing it all the time, not taking 2 year breaks. There was a long period of time there when he wasn't even taking 15 seconds to tweet.

He was twitter bitter so he chose not to tweet. That's a part of "freedom" :teehee:

Seriously speaking, we have no idea what's happening. I would like him to share his plans. I hate rumors, I want to hear it from himself, whatever it is. And I seriously want to believe the new single and video will do good. The album IS brilliant and people just need to find it, I genuinely hope they will.

The thing about people forgetting about him because he was away too long? I'm pretty sure if those people heard his new songs on the radio, they'd remember.

I've never been a fan of anyone who just cranked out albums, so two or three years doesn't bother me, it seems normal. This whole concept baffles me. :dunno:

What I still cant understand is: if he writes songs in 4 minutes.... why being in studio for 8 months? I know mixing and editing needs time,but seriously,working 8 hours per day on 15 songs during 8 months (not on weekends) means 1280 hours. Divided among 15 songs... its a lot of time. :aah: Maybe he has too many projects apart from his album. ...

That is a good point. He may write songs in 4 mins but not all of these are suitable for the album and not necessarily the way he wrote them. In other words, the 4 mins is just the idea part, he needs to involve other people to turn them into catchy pop tunes with matching lyrics. He is also likely to bin a huge number of songs that fail at some level. Besides, on the album it is not only songs he started from scratch but songs other people started to work on and he finished..etc. So he is looking for songs as well. That needs time, obviously. At the same time, your comment on the many invisible (and probably irrelevant) projects is totally valid. These may vary from hiking mountains, shooting promos for shoes and sunglasses, choosing the colour of wallpaper in his flat..etc. anything, really, we have no view on :naughty: Given he is apparently unable to write and perform at the same time period, he may want to limit is festival and private gig appearances in the writing process if he needs to concentrate. :dunno:

Anyway, he may have more time for the next album now - his next year does not seem that busy at the moment.

I dont know,but among all the things I thought that could happen with this album,what is actually happening wasnt in my mind at all. I doubted between a deserved success with pple greeting him every day at every radio station and a less great success with only half of the radio stations greeting him and the other half criticising him. But this lack of anything is actually scaring....

Are you referring to not hearing anything about him or the album in Spain at all? We have the same situation here, but it was the same for the second album, so I am not surprised. He needs to be famous in the UK or US first to get noted here.

Yes,but I mean that he got more people listening to GK through his MySpace than he has now with OOL.

It may have to do with the songs themselves, I mean the singles. :dunno:

I dont know,I was absolutely sure he would do it this time,that he was going to get what his music deserves,not what his public image deserves. Whoever needs to put more effort in this (Mika,Iain,Label Barclay,Universal or Donal Duck) should start doing it right now. .

yes, they'd better do it :mikacool:

As hard as it was to wait for the new album, to me it seems perfectly normal to have a few years gap between 2 albums. Compared to a lot of artists it wasn't even that long. I know that most French artists take 2 or 3 years to release new material and I think it's the same with bands such as Coldplay or Muse.

I think I don't expect Mika to act as a popstar and release something new every 2 months like let's say Rihanna or Katy Perry (and not always of very good quality). I see him as all the other artists who just take time off stage to think, write and create :dunno:

The thing isn't that people have forgot about Mika, experienced that today when two people in my class started singing Relax today just out of the blue. The thing is that they don't know he still is doing music and albums. I'm pretty much sure they don't even know about tbwktm. I didn't before I got really into Mika.

He's one of that artists that you still remember, and listen to sometimes, because of his/hers big hit years ago, and now wonder what happened with him/her. That's Mika. Even with Celebrate out Grace Kelly was played more often on the radio here in Sweden. And I can't even buy tool in the stores here. They don't have it.

He needs to get a hit again and get played on the radio so people get aware of the fact that he has a new album out, a really good album by the way.

Just not sure ool is that song :dunno:

Edited by Lilasko

The thing about people forgetting about him because he was away too long? I'm pretty sure if those people heard his new songs on the radio, they'd remember.

I think it hugely depends on what songs you hear on the radio. Even when the second album came out I asked myself if the first single would have turned me into a fan and my answer is a definite NO. Going into this further, I also asked myself if I had stayed a fan had I not heard Toy Boy and Blue Eyes before the officially promoted first single and heard new songs on the acousitic tour and I'd answer 'no' to that as well. Same goes for this album. The general public judges him by the songs and the image he promotes the album with, so they need to get the mix right or the album will fail.