2012 - den Atelier, LUXEMBOURG - 16 November - REPORTS/PICS/VIDS

dcdeb

Just home... Need sleep. Very small venue but great atmosphere. Lots of kids in the audience, like really young, but the usual suspects got the party going alright.

Lots in French tonight, so I'll hand over to my Belgian choir members for that :-)

I had a lot of fun.

On my way to the airport soon... Just a few words. It was a very good one, imo. The venue was t-i-n-y compared to the most venues this tour, and all of them are quite small! The stage was so small they could hardly set there both piano and Curtis' keyboard and a small chair between them. Everything was touching each other on stage. The audience wasn't super amazing but it was good and the atmosphere was warm. Mika was in a good mood and during some songs he and band were on fire, high energy songs were absolutely fantastic! I just LOVE hearing some of the old songs these days, they are so good played with the new band (like SITM, LT)! :wub2: :wub2: LT, Drunk and EMD are a killing combination, really! Underwater with our underwater world was so funny, I couldn't stop laughing, lol! Hahah, his face :naughty: Thanks Karin for you work as always! The venue security deserves a special mention, haven't seen anything like this for ages (without anyone from TM asking). They brought a heater at the gate when we were waiting (seriously, like a Christmas), put barriers before and after the show and were joking and nice during the whole event. Such a nice venue! A lot of people after the show but very well organized and he was v sweet and took some time with everyone. I just told I'm coming to Iceland and he said yes you told (I did??, lol, not so excited reaction but I am v excited about that one, can't wait!!).

Was good meeting everyone again, thanks Minttu for coming and saying hi after the show, Miri and Kate for your company during the gig (was between you two) and everyone for making me in a good mood during the day, loved it (Curly the fish is on his way home :teehee:) :wub2:

report will follow when i get home, but just a quick update from my phone: great show, like nina said a tiny venue so the choir wasn't on stage for all songs they were supposed to ( one of the girls told me they were even supposed to be on stage for drunk!). mika did neither happy ending nor heroes, and he even skipped lollipop tho that was on the setlist! did toyboy tho. and karen. :wub2:

he loved our underwater world, and it made him laugh. and after the gig he signed my paper-fish with a lovely message tho i hadn't even asked him to sign it. :naughty::wub2:

This gig was amazing and I'm so happy I did it last minute!!:wub2:

The venue was very small, as Nina already said (about 12-15 people in frontrow). Also the stage was mini! Joy always had to cross Mika's piano seat when she wanted to enter/leave the stage or wanted to join Felix at the drums :naughty: But it was a cool club-atmosphere.

When UW began the whole venue turned into an underwater world. He started laughing and couldn't sing for a moment. Probably the funniest moment of the show :naughty: Thanks Karin for the organization!! We all designed our very own fishes...well Bubbles did and we told him what we wanted. I had a JOY fish :teehee: Just: amazing!!

We also had a fish poster which the MFC signed. He had it on stage and talked about it in french...didn't understand anything :naughty:

The security was awesome! Thanks for the heater :wink2:

When Mika came out the venue he was freezing but took his time. Everyone had his/her moment with him, that was soooo cute! I let him signed the mfc-fish poster and he was laughing about this fish again :teehee:

Also Joy, Max, Curtis and Tim signed it. Felix left the venue even before the audience did. :blink: Anyway...this poster will be my new treasure :thumb_yello:

Also thank you to Bine, Faballa, Renate, Bubbles, Fran, Nina, Karin and Kate for a lovely queuing and gig-company! :huglove: Hope to see you in London again (*cough* Karin *cough*) :teehee: And thanks to furette for the ticket :thumb_yello:

Was good meeting everyone again, thanks Minttu for coming and saying hi after the show, Miri and Kate for your company during the gig (was between you two) and everyone for making me in a good mood during the day, loved it (Curly the fish is on his way home :teehee:) :wub2:

Thank YOU!! :huglove: Take care of curly! He's the funniest fish ever!! Did he signed Curly?? :naughty:

It was so perfect !!! I took pictures and videos, they are downloading right now :)

The waiting time was cool, but really cold ! :aah:

My mother and I waited for Mika at the end of the show, when he came near us, my mother gave him chocolates that she bought for him. He said her thank you and spoke about the TV ad ( in english, i didn't understand all :aah: ) After he saw me, he recognized me ! :wub2: I wasn't able to wait after a gig since 2 years but he didn't forget me :o He asked me if i was ok, signed the picture we took and said me goodbye. I was chocked ! I didn't expect him to recognize me :o:wub2:

I'll post the link for my picture / videos when it will be ready :)

Edited by vanessa-love-mika

I haven't been at a Mika gig an a while and I was surprised he talked so much. so much nonsense I mean. He was really funny! especially when he made fun of the fish. he said fishes look so stupid and then afterwards when he couldn't find the French word for "depressing" he said "I am the fish" and made a funny face :teehee:

My videos :

Stardust :

[YOUTUBE]LgdLn_z6y30[/YOUTUBE]

Love You When I'm Drunk :

[YOUTUBE]COuSsHNsPIA[/YOUTUBE]

Elle Me Dit :

[YOUTUBE]8j7k-noVBE0[/YOUTUBE]

( He looks the shell of my phone at 2min50 :biggrin2: )

And the last one We are golden :

[YOUTUBE]KxZhBABLH1Y[/YOUTUBE]

( He looks the shell of my phone at 00.24 :D )

Edited by dcdeb

I can't do a report 'cause my english is not good enough. :teehee:

But I can say that it was an amazing gig, and I personnally found the audience was great. ^^

I'm just sad he didn't sing Heroes, Happy ending, etc. But that was amazing anyway, and I just want to see Mika again right now. :aah:

Plus the people I met there were so nice, it was really great to be with you girls! =D And if you can PM me it would be great, I can't find your profiles on the forum. :doh:

Oh and I would like to know: around what time did Mika go out last night? I couldn't wait but I'd like to know how long you have wait? ^^

The concert in Luxembourg was awesome! The venue was really small, and I was standing in 5th or 6th row, so I really had the feeling of being very close to the stage. It is so nice to see Mika's face during the concert (Or seeing him at all, because there were no big people standing in front of me this time).

For me it was really nice that Mika spoke French the whole time for two reasons 1. I love that language, 2. I was amazed how much I understood even though I haven't spoken or heard much french during the last couple of years.

I loved the underwater world. At first I didn't really know what to think about it, but when I saw it with all the fish and waves it had such a great effect. Hopefully there are people who took pictures of it. And it was so nice how he danced with the shiny fish. I envy this fish for having been on stage. :naughty:

But mostly my memories of yesterday are a bit blurred. There were so many wonderful moments during the show, (Mika's fish-face, he singing so much with the crowd, the explanation of the dolphin poster the mfc members had brought...) I can't recall all of them.

After the show we all waited outside the venue. I was in the front row all the time, but when Mika came out, I found myself standing behind three other people. So I couldn't really talk to him. But I got my ticket signed and that was the reason I waited for him, so I'm really happy about that. :) (And I think if there had been the possibility to talk to him, I wouldn't have had any idea what to say, so everything's just fine)

It really was worth the long journey to Luxembourg, with all the adrenaline beforehand and only 3 hours of sleep afterwards (when my alarmclock went this morning, I was tempted to switch it off and just turn around to continue sleeping...).

It was so nice getting to know you all and thank you for the warm welcome to the MFC (in person). I hope it won't take too long to meet again on a Mika gig.

Thank you everyone for reports etc.! Sounds like a very special show! :)

I haven't been at a Mika gig an a while and I was surprised he talked so much. so much nonsense I mean. He was really funny! especially when he made fun of the fish. he said fishes look so stupid and then afterwards when he couldn't find the French word for "depressing" he said "I am the fish" and made a funny face :teehee:

Ahhh, so you went to this gig after all. Goooood!

Isn't it amazing how much he's talking lately? Looooove it!!

So, here is my report for Luxembourg :original: - as always highly subjective :wink2:

This time it was without queuing. I have to say that I missed the crowd in Munich at the front row. Hearing the people around you singing, seeing people jumping and waving with their arms in front of you, just seeing how the crowd reacts to Mika and just feeling the energy of the crowd... So it was partly a "forced" decision because of university and the long drive, but also a conscious decision to be at a later time at the venue.

Luckily Menthe and her daughter wanted to come later, too, and so we met at the train station and we went to the venue together. Beforehand I was a little bit nervous, because I didn't know her at all, but she and her daughter were lovely people :huglove: It was very nice to talk with Menthe and so the time while waiting for the doors to open didn't feel long :original: (Menthe, I hope that it wasn't to boring for your daughter. I wish I could have talked more with her.)

Finally the doors opened and we got a place around 5 meters away from the stage. And most of the time the view was very good from there :)

This time Mika wore a men's shirt and top hat. I loved seeing him more "noble" one time, too, after the more common dressing in Cologne and Munich.

The crowd was strange - and this isn't meant in a negative way, just couldn't find a better word. Mostly the crowd is on fire and is clapping loud after the songs or the crowd is more reserved and not clapping so loud, it goes hand in hand. But this time I would describe the reaction as very good, but not as being on fire, like in Cologne. But in return the applause after the songs was so loud!

One highlight for me was "Stardust" again. I love the acoustic version, so it will be highlight all the time, but I loved how the crowd softly sang with him this time, it was so nice.

Others have written about the waves and the fish and his laughing at Underwater, so I won't add much. Just that it was a great moment when he started laughing while singing - it was the kind of "you are really crazy, but I like it"-laugh :D After that he joked with the fish-poster. But I couldn't understand what he said, only that he was talking about "Finding Nemo" and that he couldn't remember the name of the blue surgeonfish, I think.

Throughout the gig Mika spoke French, too, so I couldn't understand what he was talking. Egoistically (:rolleyes:) I had the hope that he would talk in English when he said at the beginning of the gig that it is a multicultural crowd and he doesn't know in which language he should speak. But of course the cheering after "French?" was the loudest, so he spoke French. And of course he was in a French speaking country, so it would have been silly if he wouldn't have ;)

And he said that we therefore would get 3 (French) bonus songs. In the end it were only two. Maybe he had planned "Une soleil mal lune" and than skipped it? But he played EMD - it's really one of my most favorite songs live! :boing: - and Karen :swoon: I really wanted to hear that one live one time, one reason why I decided to do Luxembourg after all. And it was really perfect, because exactly at that time people slightly changed their positions and so I had a total free view. It was like front row, only more far away. And I was a little bit worried that my head would mess up things because of my expectations and my looking forward, this moment when you start to think although you just want to feel, but it was so intense, especially at the verses, I loved it :wub2:

… And then came the fully drunken one :rolls_eyes: :blink: …. I don't know where he came from, he just went from the site to a place two rows before us. And he was really behaving like really drunk ones do… :blink: After some time a half-circle of free space was formed behind him, with the effect that it got tight in our rows. But somehow I blocked him from my mind and just went on with enjoying the concert, and then security came after not long time and pulled him away. And I felt so happy that it didn't happen at "Karen", that would have ruined everything. And admittedly it had a funny absurdity to have a total drunken guy right in your field of view throughout "Love you when I'm drunk" :naughty:

Overall I thought that Mika was a little bit tired (and his voice as well). But there were some funny-mischievous situations nonetheless, aside from Underwater. Like joking with Max before Toy Boy, who had to copy every movement and singing of Mika at the beginning (and couldn't sing that low :D) or a piping intro of "Celebrate" :D

And it's really strange how it changes for me which songs I like more or less at different gigs. But I like that, therefore different concerts are more interesting. This time I thought "Grace Kelly" was great - beforehand it was personally never a stand-out song live for me. WAG at the end was great, too, I love it every time, but this time even more.

And I love "Lola", "Popular" and "Origin of love" more and more after every new time listening live!

While going out of the hall we even saw Mrs P through the door from afar, too. I never saw her in real life before, so it was a nice surprise :)

After that Menthe and her daughter went home and I waited together with the other German fans for Mika. It was well organized, we had a barrier and a barrier tape and Mika went down the line after he came out finally. I didn't have something I wanted him to sign. If there would have been a nice moment I would've asked him about the lyrics at the end of MYH, but I was in the second row and it didn't felt right, so I just watched him. And it was great so see him so nice and smiley with all his fans :wub2:

Later Joy, Max and Curtis came out of the venue and talked a little bit with the remaining fans as well - all of them seem to be great people, too.

At the moment I'm still in a post-Mika-gig-happiness-state, just happy and thankful that I had the opportunity to experience Luxembourg (and the 2 concerts before) :wub2:

They were thrown on stage. Don´t know who did it, but it looks like a couple of french fans made it (cause some names on the hearts looked kinda french :naughty:).

Yes, I think French fans made them, they were holding that heart-garland up throughout OOL :original:

Review of the gig:

http://www.chronicle.lu/testing-categories/item/1379-mika-concert-review

Mika Concert Review

Mika-1020963-Jean-Marc-Nilles-400.JPG

Singer songwriter MIKA, born Michael Holbrook Penniman, Jr, son of a Lebanese mother and Amercian father who left war-torn Lebanon for Paris and later London when he was one year old, is back in Luxembourg.

And the singer with a vocal range of about 4 octaves appears to be totally at ease pulling the French- and English-speaking crowd into his musical ban, delivering a maybe less flamboyant but therefore all the more pure and simplistic show than the one he came up with during the promotion tour of his more multi-layered and slightly socially engaging THE BOY WHO KNEW TOO MUCH (2009) album. (One song, BILLY BROWN, described the affair between a married heterosexual and a gay man and another, BIG GIRLS, dealt with the discrimination that many overweight women experience).

However, yesterday evening's 2.5 hour THE ORIGIN OF LOVE show - the name of his eponymous last album - was a huge success, not only among some of his hardcore fans that had gathered in front of the bodyguarded stage with hearts and all sorts of colourful banners and gadgets, but also among the numerous young families that had brought along their children.

And indeed MIKA, who addressed the crowd in fluent French, only to realise that the majority of the French speakers were Belgian nationals, had something in store for everybody and was pulling out earworm after earworm of his big imaginative box. From BIG GIRLS ARE BEAUTIFUL to his first track RELAX TAKE IT EASY- which had actually come out in 2006 as a limited 7 “ download release - to the very catchy tunes of French song ELLE ME DIT, that has been given a lot of radio airplay lately or the hymn-like UNDERWATER, that inspired tonight’s French- and English-speaking crowd to hiss blue scarves to symbolise the waves, MIKA pulled a complete artistic register, which clearly establishes him among professional world-class entertainers who know how to warm up an intimate venue, such as Den Atelier, where everybody soon felt at ease not just to hum but to SING along. And although MIKA has released only three studio albums until this day, there is not the slightest doubt that his creative and artistic talent knows no boundaries and will not fail to surprise us in the future.

Photo by Jean-Marc Nilles

Stardust

Karen

Stuck In The Middle

(see how small the stage is, Mika and Curtis can easily fit in the same pic)

Toy Boy

And wrote something:

http://anothermikablog.blogspot.fi/2012/11/quick-updates-mika-atelier-luxembourg.html and

http://anothermikablog.blogspot.fi/2012/11/gig-reviews-mika-atelier-luxembourg.html

And took some more photos but don't have time to go them all through now, maybe later.