2012 - Roundhouse, London, UK - 13 December: REPORTS/PICS/VIDS

guylainem123

I love the song Un soleil mal luné, but I was a little shocked that in UK he start the show with this song and it made me laugh at the same time because I was sure that on MFC in this thread I will find comments on this topic :naughty:

Something shock me more, this is what I found the day before this gig. Lots of UK fans were in London, Mika was at The Union Chapel no one come to see him :blink:

Mika saw 3 French fans (I was one of them), the day before the gig at the artists entrance of the Union Chapel. We went to see Mika, say him hello and ask him if he was fine. When we arrived around 5pm we were the only fans. We waited and when Mika came out we were still 3 fans. Mika invited us to the BBC unless we have asked him nothing. When we returned to find our invitations we return to the entrance of the artists we haven't seen any fans of Mika wait and the exit after the show there was no British fans :doh:

Simple reason for that, we knew he had an important show the next night and didn't want to keep him out when he's supposed to be resting!

It'd not difficult to understand.

Personally, even though he does need the promo here, I think weighing up the pros and

cons of saving his voice for the long term, and missing promo here, even thpugh it is high profile, the voice should be the priority, as without it all the promo in the world won't help him.

I find it a little annoying that you think we don't care about him, by not turning up to wait for him outside a radio show recording, when it's in the freezing cold, THAT was the reason we didn't, because we want him to be home resting his voice, for the gigs.

Being a good fan isn't always about being there when an artist comes out of appearences, it's also about knowing when not to be, and this was one of those of those times.

After reading the posts by Melody and some other die hard MFC members I now understand why I left The Roundhouse with a feeling of a little disappointment...I was confused about if I didn't like Mika the way I thought I did, like a sort of disillusion.

It was my 2nd gig ever...in just one month. I was on the guestlist in Luxembourg and met Mika backstage...I also had a little chat outside the venue there, where he asked me if I was going to visit any other shows. In London I was standing right in front of him in the 2nd row, as surprised as I was :-D In Luxembourg I gave him a heart tambourine and he wanted it in de percussion case to use it onstage...so I brought another one in a different colour to the gig in London and he saw me with it in the beginning...he winked at me (acoording to other people) and we had several times eye contact.

I thought the first song was beautiful...never heard it before... but I was also, as many other peeps, surprised: why starting here with a French song?...but I loved it!! And French IS a part of Mika...no one can ignore that (although, speaking French during the whole gig in Lux was a little too much). But all of his songs are a part of him, in one way or the other. That is Mika!

I also thought he was quite energetic...but you could hear his voice wasn't that well.

Comparing to the gig in Lux, he almost didn't chat and didn't really connect in a verbal way...he made some non-verbal contact though.

When Mika got outside the venue, he was different as well...although I had met some great people there, when I got back in the hotel, I had a strange feeling left of the whole evening.

And I started to doubt myself...thinking what the reason could be for this weird evening.

I'm so glad to find out that it's not me alone who had this feeling! ;-)

I also think (like Karine) that it might be something in his relationship...maybe his lover refused to come to see him?? Or did he break up with him because the lack of time Mika has had the past months?? Who knows...

Especially when Melody mentioned that "I'm pissed"-part...I remember that...and I thought: did he really say that??

The pressure thing must also have been a part of it...he is only human...and very sensitive! I hope he did the "gut test" but I doubt it...

And the feeling he must have for letting people down in Glasgow and other things he has to cancel because of his throat. He loves his job and I don't think he's happy if he has to cancel all of those things...it's his life! And sometimes life sucks!!

I surely hope he's feeling better soon...I'll see him next thursday...maybe he's in a better mood then. :mikadas:

Something shock me more, this is what I found the day before this gig. Lots of UK fans were in London, Mika was at The Union Chapel no one come to see him :blink:

Mika saw 3 French fans (I was one of them), the day before the gig at the artists entrance of the Union Chapel. We went to see Mika, say him hello and ask him if he was fine. When we arrived around 5pm we were the only fans. We waited and when Mika came out we were still 3 fans. Mika invited us to the BBC unless we have asked him nothing. When we returned to find our invitations we return to the entrance of the artists we haven't seen any fans of Mika wait and the exit after the show there was no British fans :doh:

What are you suggesting? That to be a dedicated fan you have to stalk him everywhere he goes if you happen to be in the same city? :blink: Mika spends half of his life out and about in London. Are fans who live there supposed to skip out on their jobs and leave their families, etc. every time Mika leaves his house?

Jeez I am not one to judge how people conduct their Mika obsessions. If people want to devote their lives to chasing him around and will do anything possible to get near him that's their business. But I can't believe that you appear to be judging fans for NOT doing that. Is this really the norm now in Europe? Grown women who've already met him 50 times are expected to show up everywhere he is just to say hi and ask him how he's doing? :blink:

If Mika wanted fans there and could get them tickets, he could have his team arrange it like they've done on so many other occasions. Maybe then people who have normal lives to live (since they are living in London and not on holiday) could try to make arrangements in advance, knowing that there is an actual purpose to being there. i.e. to support him during his performance, not to stand around in the cold for hours hoping for a chance to say hi to him.

I love the song Un soleil mal luné, but I was a little shocked that in UK he start the show with this song and it made me laugh at the same time because I was sure that on MFC in this thread I will find comments on this topic :naughty:

I don't want to stalk Mika thanks very much ... and 5 of us did go to the Union Chapel and get in ... maybe you should do your homework before you start on at UK fans ... we do support him ... alot ... I enjoyed the whole show ... but we do enough waiting around for Mika at proper gigs like in London the next night ... I waited to 1.15am in the morning to see him and queued from 7.30am ... it was a long day ... who are you to judge :blink:

Sometimes in life, there are better things to do than to just stand outside an artist entrance, waiting for someone to come out. Like sleep for instance in my case.:mf_rosetinted:

What are you suggesting? That to be a dedicated fan you have to stalk him everywhere he goes if you happen to be in the same city? :blink: Mika spends half of his life out and about in London. Are fans who live there supposed to skip out on their jobs and leave their families, etc. every time Mika leaves his house?

Jeez I am not one to judge how people conduct their Mika obsessions. If people want to devote their lives to chasing him around and will do anything possible to get near him that's their business. But I can't believe that you appear to be judging fans for NOT doing that. Is this really the norm now in Europe? Grown women who've already met him 50 times are expected to show up everywhere he is just to say hi and ask him how he's doing? :blink:

If Mika wanted fans there and could get them tickets, he could have his team arrange it like they've done on so many other occasions. Maybe then people who have normal lives to live (since they are living in London and not on holiday) could try to make arrangements in advance, knowing that there is an actual purpose to being there. i.e. to support him during his performance, not to stand around in the cold for hours hoping for a chance to say h

i to him.

Exactly..... :doh:

I'm sorry I have a life.

I love mika but I also love my home and lifestyle that my job pays for and I was working. I didn't find out about this gig till the Tuesday and it was too late, especially as I didn't have a ticket. Who wants to pay for their travel into London to stand in the freezing cold for 5 hours on the off chance that mika might say hi? That is ****ing nuts.

I don't understand why you are reacting like this. If you are ok with waiting for Mika outside a radio show and have time for it, and if you managed to meet him and show him you were there to support him, good for you. But not everybody can do that or even wants to do that. Our main way of supporting him is still by buying his music and attending his gigs. Roundhouse was sold out so I think British fans were there when needed. You don't have to wait for him before or after a show to call yourself a fan.

But not everybody can do that or even wants to do that.

This is the thing. Some people find this stalkerish and feel uncomfortable showing up where they are not invited. Personally if I was there on holidays and had no other plans I would have gone to the venue because I know how these shows work. People in the queue are given 4, 6, sometimes 8 tickets and chances are they are not going to bring that many people will them so they will have spares. But I would not go there to attempt to speak to Mika, especially when there is a time and a place for that the following night.

When the girls in Montreal didn't have tickets to Star Academie I encouraged them to go but they didn't feel comfortable doing that. And when we did get tickets we didn't wait around afterwards because it was cold and people have husbands and children waiting for them. We went there to see him perform not to talk to him.

Even at the height of my Mika obsession Mika was scheduled to do the MuchMusic Awards in Toronto which was within walking distance of my home on a beautiful warm night, but I would not go there and wait for him. I am not judging anyone in Europe or Asia or South America or anywhere else, but in my culture and at my age it would be considered bizarre behaviour. My boss has even joked about it recently because I tell him all my Mika stories and he is totally cool with them but he says the day I start showing up at an awards show (or that kind of thing) to stalk popstars he'll know I've lost it.

I am not going to speak for the Brits on this occasion but I know Canadians are not comfortable stalking celebrities all over the place. Mika is very cool about this kind of thing. I think on some occasions he even welcomes it. But you don't just leave your ingrained etiquette at the door because some people in other countries think it's okay to stand outside a radio recording or greet him at the airport, etc. And if you are a visitor in another country it seems to me you should think more about respecting the locals' customs than being "shocked" that the locals don't behave as you do.

Ok - just a quick few observations form london gig from me:

I had to change my plans last minute due to personal family reasons so could not make London on Wed night which was a shame - as it is always fun meeting up with my fellow friends and MFC chums --- howevs - not this time but i did arrive midday Thursday and hang around with friends- went to say hi to people at the venue and then off for some warming eats and drinks before we got to the venue at opening time - prefect --- i had remembered last time that the queue was rather odd in that they let people in in stages and then held them and it did not really work - sounds like pretty much the same?

Kath and i decided to go for uninterrupted view very far stage left - which meant we could not see the full stage or the choir but being small i prefer not to have anyone in fornt of me! We could see the choir in the back stage and having fun being there waiting to go on to do their parts - not that we could see them from our view when they were on - but agree it is mainly Mika giving fans a chance to be part of the show - i remember Mrs P saying this in Sheffield in 2010 when many of us got to be in the shows - lots of work but he wants to do it....... anyways the DJ set i quite enjoyed in bits - freaking out dancing with Jen and Kata - tho the girls looked a bit silly TBH!:teehee: as it was pretty much the usual pre recorded as in Europe? so don't think they were really DJ'ing? We had a good dance to some Madonna tracks and others but then it went a bit off again!

The gig itself wasn't his best but it was still a great show for me as i agree he always try to give it lots and we know how it CAN be when he is on fire - but this isn't going to happen when he isn't at his best.........:doh:

i didn't like the slow start - regardless of the language it was in - i just think he needs to come out firing on all cylinders --- (Rain was so good in the 2010 tour) ---anyway a few variations - including an early GK -- i would LOVE to hear some more new ones too - not sure why not? Would love to hear Emily /( Emily / Elle Me dit mix at least again (- TaH Dah - Kids or Heroes and Step! --- but i think he still gives an amazing show -- i loved the candles in Underwater we were given - thanks to those who organsied this :wink2: This show wasn't as on fire as Amsterdam ( last time i saw him) we sense some nerves maybe - i think maybe a UK thing for him now - such a shame if he doesn't feel so comfortable - still it was always a treat to see Mika for me and he is a brilliant performer but i think had an edge that made him less relaxed and possibly not quite so amazing as we sometimes experience --- - tired - etc etc - also think cancelling the gig thing has bothered him - (as was evident when speaking to him after )--Toy Boy not the best for an encore - but hey different ? I like when he goes out and in with a bang !:naughty:- i never want the show to end - but it did and well then i had to work out - could i make it to Manchester the next day as i wasn't going to be heading to Glasgow on Sunday :teehee:!

First Rose proposed to meet each other at The Union Chapel in the thread before the show, I was really surprise to see nobody there :dunno:

Second I arrived in London at 1pm, I had time to walk and go shopping to buy tea and a gift for my brother. I love London and I love to walk, rain or cold it doesn't stop me. I haven't waited for hours in the cold Mika because I know he can't arrive early :naughty:

I have a life, but if I can go to see Mika in a radio or tv show I go. I still have many things to do and friends to see who aren't necessarily fans of Mika but I always find time to go see him.

I don't mean by my criticism that there are fans and others who aren't, but that's pretty sad for an artist to have any of his fans living in Britain who has come to say hello. It isn't a matter of following him every where but this was something official, there could be a few of you as planned.

Finally I note that you can't stand criticism when you don't stop making disparaging criticism on the French fans, the fact that Mika done concerts in France, he speaks French at concerts in France and in countries that are francophone and he did songs in French :annoyed_h4h:

He has done more promotion in Britain for his album than in France, but you don't have to prevent you from saying the opposite, constantly blaming Mika :shocked:

When Mika was currently working on his album and he did something else beside he received hateful tweets from fans :sneaky2: I prefer not to mention all the hateful comments that I read on MFC against him before his new album.

About the London concert, he did his job with a fragile voice and broken. I never saw Mika at ease on stage in London, I've seen him 6 times on stage there and he was always more or less stressed and uncomfortable.

sephira, i think i know what you mean with your words - but still, it's everyone's decision for their own what they do. and that goes for both sides, in my opinion. so i neither agree with saphira blaming the uk fans for not being there, nor with the others on here saying that she's a stalker because she was there. dunno if it's really a country thing, like christine mentioned that in canada it's different... but maybe more a question of which star it is. i'm pretty sure justin bieber gets stalked in canada as well. :teehee: i mean, of course none of us wants a horde of screaming fans waiting for mika everywhere he goes - but then at least he probably wouldn't have any problems with album sales anymore! :teehee: anyway, what i want to say is that we don't know what mika wants, and maybe it's even different what he wants from one day to the next. maybe he would have felt loved and welcomed if a bunch of fans had waited for him, and lonely if not. or maybe he was happy to have his peace. or maybe even a mixture of both of it, since there are two sides to everything. :wink2: but imo it's everyone's own decision whether they go or not, and i don't want to be called a stalker cause i was there and met him, nor do i think it's right to blame anyone for not being there. :wink2:

I don't mean by my criticism that there are fans and others who aren't, but that's pretty sad for an artist to have any of his fans living in Britain who has come to say hello. It isn't a matter of following him every where but this was something official, there could be a few of you as planned.

If he wanted fans there he should have announced it in time for people to apply for tickets from the BBC or sent the Ticket Fairy to deliver them. Is it really our job to stalk his every movement and guess where he's going to be so he doesn't feel sad when people aren't there?

I remember in 2009 his team refused to give out his schedule and I think the message there was that they didn't want people turning up at radio stations because he was busy and always running late.

Finally I note that you can't stand criticism when you don't stop making disparaging criticism on the French fans, the fact that Mika done concerts in France, he speaks French at concerts in France and in countries that are francophone and he did songs in French :annoyed_h4h:

Talking about how alienating foreign language songs are to English people or how disappointing it is that he spends more time in France than other countries is not a criticism of French fans. :dunno:

Honestly I am grateful to French fans and Label Barclay because without their support I am not sure if Mika would continue a career as a singer at all.

When Mika was currently working on his album and he did something else beside he received hateful tweets from fans :sneaky2: I prefer not to mention all the hateful comments that I read on MFC against him before his new album.

No one on MFC says hateful things towards Mika. :rolls_eyes: I seem to recall you implying that he only came out of the closet to sell more albums so we're all entitled to voice opinions that aren't blindly approving of everything he does without being called "hateful".

About the London concert, he did his job with a fragile voice and broken. I never saw Mika at ease on stage in London, I've seen him 6 times on stage there and he was always more or less stressed and uncomfortable.

I've seen a couple of concerts where he was very relaxed and having fun in London, particularly the last Brixton show in 2008. But he does disconnect from the audience when he is nervous and distracted (like at the start of a tour) and I can imagine this would be one of those situations.

First Rose proposed to meet each other at The Union Chapel in the thread before the show, I was really surprise to see nobody there :dunno:

Second I arrived in London at 1pm, I had time to walk and go shopping to buy tea and a gift for my brother. I love London and I love to walk, rain or cold it doesn't stop me. I haven't waited for hours in the cold Mika because I know he can't arrive early :naughty:

I have a life, but if I can go to see Mika in a radio or tv show I go. I still have many things to do and friends to see who aren't necessarily fans of Mika but I always find time to go see him.

He has done more promotion in Britain for his album than in France, but you don't have to prevent you from saying the opposite, constantly blaming Mika :shocked:

Go back and read my post again, especially the last paragraph.

And if you were following ALL my posts and tweets for Wednesday, you would know that after the FB post about him cutting back on promo, I changed the meet up plans back to the original Kings Cross meet up point. Before that, we had no idea that his voice was as bad as it was reported, so I had proposed a meet a t Union Chapel. But as I said I had changed it back.

Edited by RAK1

dunno if it's really a country thing, like christine mentioned that in canada it's different... but maybe more a question of which star it is. i'm pretty sure justin bieber gets stalked in canada as well. :teehee:

Yes by screaming girls, not 45 year old women. I went down to MuchMusic when I was 15 to meet the singer of Iron Maiden. I'm not going to do that now. I don't judge other fans. They can do whatever they want unless they are seriously invading Mika's privacy. But if I told my friends, family, boss, etc. that's what I was doing they would think I was mental. People just have different lines they refuse to cross and a lot of it is cultural.

Different countries, different customs. UK is respectful , French don't have consideration for a man who is ill an should be resting. UK , like mum, knows best.

Generalization is not to be made, please :wink2: I'm French but have consideration for Mika. I've been to 8 or 9 gigs and met him twice after his shows. It's not a cultural thing to follow Mika everywhere, it's a fan thing. Some fans are moderate, others are really passionate.

It's not a cultural thing to follow Mika everywhere, it's a fan thing. Some fans are moderate, others are really passionate.

When I talk about the cultural thing I am not saying it is French culture (or any culture) to do this or that. But it is definitely the culture amongst the adult Canadian Mika fans to not greet him at the airport, for example. I don't know anyone who would consider doing this. I also don't know any Londoners who would consider doing this. Whereas large groups of fans in Latin America, Russia and Asia have no qualms about this and view it as a welcoming gesture.

When I talk about the cultural thing I am not saying it is French culture (or any culture) to do this or that. But it is definitely the culture amongst the adult Canadian Mika fans to not greet him at the airport, for example. I don't know anyone who would consider doing this. I also don't know any Londoners who would consider doing this. Whereas large groups of fans in Latin America, Russia and Asia have no qualms about this and view it as a welcoming gesture.

I understood your explanation, Christine :wink2: I just wanted to tell Yuls to avoid to lump all the French together.:pray:

Different countries, different customs. UK is respectful , French don't have consideration for a man who is ill an should be resting. UK , like mum, knows best.

Sephira's post was not particularly nice towards British fans but yours is not towards French... As Macboll wrote, please don't generalise, not everybody acts the same even if they are from the same country.

Generalization is not to be made, please :wink2: I'm French but have consideration for Mika. I've been to 8 or 9 gigs and met him twice after his shows. It's not a cultural thing to follow Mika everywhere, it's a fan thing. Some fans are moderate, others are really passionate.

Passionate... that's a nice way of putting it :naughty:

I do believe it is a culture thing though... in Quebec (and the rest of Canada), we do respect famous people's private time. We do not show up at airports, hotels, restaurants when it isn't a fan related event

Mika may love his fans, but i'm not sure he is that pleased to see people waiting for him at the airport after a 8 hour flight... he probably just wants to get to his hotel & relax like any normal human being.

When he came to record in Montreal, we knew exactly where the studio was. None of us showed up at the door, none of us hung around just in case he came out & yes, we know which hotel he stays at & we didn't attempt to disturb his off time.

That's just the way it is here. Instead of thinking that the artist feels "unloved" because we didn't bother with him, we show our support by not interfering with his time. He knows we love him, we don't have to show our face to proove it :blush-anim-cl:

Bienvenue au Canada! :naughty:

Passionate... that's a nice way of putting it :naughty:

I do believe it is a culture thing though... in Quebec (and the rest of Canada), we do respect famous people's private time. We do not show up at airports, hotels, restaurants when it isn't a fan related event

Mika may love his fans, but i'm not sure he is that pleased to see people waiting for him at the airport after a 8 hour flight... he probably just wants to get to his hotel & relax like any normal human being.

When he came to record in Montreal, we knew exactly where the studio was. None of us showed up at the door, none of us hung around just in case he came out & yes, we know which hotel he stays at & we didn't attempt to disturb his off time.

That's just the way it is here. Instead of thinking that the artist feels "unloved" because we didn't bother with him, we show our support by not interfering with his time. He knows we love him, we don't have to show our face to proove it :blush-anim-cl:

Bienvenue au Canada! :naughty:

My sentiments exactly.:thumb_yello: