new name for fans ?

JosefineDK

From 'the horses mouth'

RE: His fans :

01:27 -- 01:56 :)

That was in 2009, Alice, and he was not telling his fans to call themselves "Mika Freaks." Just a few months ago, in the Vanity Fair Italia radio interview he said very specifically that he did NOT like the term freak referring to his fans. We don't have it in print or the audio file to show it to you, but I heard it with my own ears. So I'm sorry if you feel differently, but I never liked the term. I won't call myself a freak, beautiful or otherwise, and I know for a fact that Mika doesn't like the term either.

This is a typical MFC thread isn't it :naughty:

Good to see the rebellion in full force :naughty:

MFCers we have been for 7 years- why on earth would we change? :dunno:

Exactly. Why would we? Why should we? :dunno:

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:lmfao::hi5:

:thumb_yello:

This is a typical MFC thread isn't it :naughty:

Good to see the rebellion in full force :naughty:

MFCers we have been for 7 years- why on earth would we change? :dunno:

:naughty:

I thought that would lighten up the debate :naughty: and it did :mikadas:

This thread is getting funny :teehee:

That was in 2009, Alice, and he was not telling his fans to call themselves "Mika Freaks." Just a few months ago, in the Vanity Fair Italia radio interview he said very specifically that he did NOT like the term freak referring to his fans. We don't have it in print or the audio file to show it to you, but I heard it with my own ears. So I'm sorry if you feel differently, but I never liked the term. I won't call myself a freak, beautiful or otherwise, and I know for a fact that Mika doesn't like the term either.

Exactly. Why would we? Why should we? :dunno:

I don't feel any particular way about it.

I know it is not a recent video, I just thought it was interesting that,

at that time, MIKA himself --that day anyway-- happily referred

to his fans as freaks.

I don't want to call myself a freak either. I actually think it's a little late in the game to settle on a mass name for all fans of MIKA. Not very effective

unless there is consensus -- which obviously there is not.

I've always felt MIKA is in a class separate really from all the rest (which for me is his appeal) and that a 'following the pack' to use a mass name for all fans is silly and unnecessary.

I'm not advocating for anything. I think fans will call themselves what they will.

I'm happy to be a MIKA fan who is also a MFCer.

Edited by A. Clay

I know it is not a recent video, I just thought it was interesting that,

at that time, MIKA himself --that day anyway-- happily referred

to his fans as freaks.

Yes and there was a small group of MFCers who called themselves Freaks in this vein a few months later and I'm sure he didn't have a problem with that at all. But I think this sort of inside jokes is different than taking it out of context to name an entire fandom. Mika's crew used to call us Mad F*ckers which is where the Fokkers came from and Mika didn't have a problem with that either. But I'm not sure he'd enjoy every youngling on Twitter calling themselves Mika's F*ckers. :teehee:

I've always felt MIKA is in a class separate really from all the rest (which for me is his appeal) and that a 'following the pack' to use a mass name for all fans is silly and unnecessary.

I agree and I think because, as Mika points out in the video, his fanbase is so diverse, it isn't particularly appropriate. We are not Beliebers - not just because we are not Justin Bieber fans but because we are not all 15 year old girls either. I love Katy Cats. I think it's an adorable name and I love to see little Katy Cats at gigs emulating Katy. But I am 45 years old. It doesn't matter that I have been listening to her music since 2007, that is never going to be me.

And that's what bothers me about this "fandom" behaviour. I am tired of being lectured by teenagers on Twitter about "why we are all here" and that we must relate to each other or to Mika in a particular way because "we're all part of the Mika Freaks family". I don't care what you call it, I just don't really feel a part of this larger group other than as someone who loves Mika as millions of people in the world do. In other words as "a Mika fan". I enjoy chatting to many fans in person or online. I don't care if they are MFCers or consider themselves part of some other group or no group at all. But I am never going to join another large group of fans that has its own ethos and etiquette, etc.

I just call myself a Mika Fan. I'm an MFCer on this site, but above all, a Mika Fan. I understand that MFCer is specific to this club, but I don't see that as leaving others out of the fandom. If they want to join, they can do so and would be welcomed on here. But there are fans elsewhere who are just as good as anyone on here and are part of the whole fan base.

Edited by Marilyn Mastin

I just call myself a Mika Fan. I'm an MFCer on this site, but above all, a Mika Fan. I understand that MFCer is specific to this club, but I don't see that as leaving others out of the fandom. If they want to join, they can do so and would be welcomed on here. But there are fans elsewhere who are just as good as anyone on here and are part of the whole fan base.

As we were talking about Mika saying that he doesn't like his fans to call themselves "Mika Freaks", here is the exact translated quote of the Vanity Fair radio interview (thanks to Marina, Lucrezia and the other translators):

14. Mika Freaks

Why did you choose the name MIKA FREAKS for your fans?

I did not choose this name:I do not like this thing!!

Ah, so is it a name that your fans gave it to their self ?

No...There are some groups that have begun to use this thing but ... What does this mean MIKA FREAKS? I said time ago that I liked to be a freak maybe it came from it but I do not like it!!

audio files:

https://www.mediafire.com/#2i6bsx2caod4s

As we were talking about Mika saying that he doesn't like his fans to call themselves "Mika Freaks", here is the exact translated quote of the Vanity Fair radio interview (thanks to Marina, Lucrezia and the other translators):

14. Mika Freaks

Why did you choose the name MIKA FREAKS for your fans?

I did not choose this name:I do not like this thing!!

Ah, so is it a name that your fans gave it to their self ?

No...There are some groups that have begun to use this thing but ... What does this mean MIKA FREAKS? I said time ago that I liked to be a freak maybe it came from it but I do not like it!!

audio files:

https://www.mediafire.com/#2i6bsx2caod4s

http://mousetrap-music.tumblr.com/post/73625989586/interview-audio-in-italian-translation

On Mika's official page on fb was competition ,person who send first answers of questions they give her name 'international MIKAHOLIC' not mikafreak or mfcer so I think they call fans MIKAHOLIs

Mikaholics, why not. But it's just like being a chocoholic or a shopoholic, that's it. It just means you're crazy about something/someone.

We're all Mika fans and MFCers if we're members of this forum :wink2:

One last thing, Mika's facebook page is for everyone who follows him on FB. It has nothing to do with the MFC.

I think for the broader fanbase, Mikaholics is a reasonably good name, if there is to be a collective name for all Mika fans. I don't see why you can't be an MFCer and a Mikaholic, not every Mika fan will join the fan club, but we can all be united under the other tag.

Ha, I bet no one listens to that. :naughty: I'd love to tweet it but it would just kick off a whole lotta drama.

On Mika's official page on fb was competition ,person who send first answers of questions they give her name 'international MIKAHOLIC' not mikafreak or mfcer so I think they call fans MIKAHOLIs

The Koreans call themselves Mikaholix which is cute. It is a bit sad that this fan club is saddled with a boring moniker like MFC but I don't want to change it now. :naughty:

But i like to call Mika fans as a whole "Mikalings" because it reminds me of ducklings and duckings are so cute :teehee: Quack quack!

Aw ducks. :wub2: I adopted 3 ducks in my local pond when I first moved to England and had no pets, friends, etc. yet. :naughty: I never ate duck again after that. :aah:

we can all be united under the other tag.

For me it's the all being united under one flag that was disturbing to me about the freaks movement. Individual groups have their own ethos about what it means to be a fan and their own etiquette about how one behaves at gigs or towards Mika in their own country, about whether it's appropriate to gossip about Mika and his boyfriend in public all day long, etc. If people don't like that on MFC or Mikaholix or Mikawebsite or whatever they don't have to join that group or there is a sort of structure within these groups to change the ethos and etiquette if it's not working anymore. But to me "the fandom" is this sort of internet monster that doesn't understand the relationships that have been built over the past 7 years, it is a playground for trolls and sociopathically aggressive and manipulative people, etc. It believes it is THE fandom and all the rest of us are just tiny elitist groups because we didn't all decide to drop everything we were doing to become Freaks because some people on Twitter or Tumblr or whatever decided that's what every Mika fan does.

Ha, I bet no one listens to that. :naughty: I'd love to tweet it but it would just kick off a whole lotta drama.

The Koreans call themselves Mikaholix which is cute. It is a bit sad that this fan club is saddled with a boring moniker like MFC but I don't want to change it now. :naughty:

Aw ducks. :wub2: I adopted 3 ducks in my local pond when I first moved to England and had no pets, friends, etc. yet. :naughty: I never ate duck again after that. :aah:

For me it's the all being united under one flag that was disturbing to me about the freaks movement. Individual groups have their own ethos about what it means to be a fan and their own etiquette about how one behaves at gigs or towards Mika in their own country, about whether it's appropriate to gossip about Mika and his boyfriend in public all day long, etc. If people don't like that on MFC or Mikaholix or Mikawebsite or whatever they don't have to join that group or there is a sort of structure within these groups to change the ethos and etiquette if it's not working anymore. But to me "the fandom" is this sort of internet monster that doesn't understand the relationships that have been built over the past 7 years, it is a playground for trolls and sociopathically aggressive and manipulative people, etc. It believes it is THE fandom and all the rest of us are just tiny elitist groups because we didn't all decide to drop everything we were doing to become Freaks because some people on Twitter or Tumblr or whatever decided that's what every Mika fan does.

To the bolded bit, can I do it, can I do it! :naughty:

I get what you mean about the internet being haunted by crazy people, but if this name was prompted by TM themselves, maybe they are in the mindset that if they initiate the collective name, then every fan would be okay with using it over any other collective name that is put forward by rogue elements.

Just my perspective, it may not be that at all.

I can't understand why this discussion is still going on, especially since it was started by a newbie who has posted ONE TIME and then has never posted again since. Perhaps a troll, trying to stir things up? :dunno:

In any case, are we really that desperate to label ourselves? :blink:

I'm a fan of Mika's and I belong to the MFC, so that makes me an MFCer. That's all I really need. I don't get why we need to call ourselves anything else. I guess I'm showing my age. :old:

One last thing, Mika's facebook page is for everyone who follows him on FB. It has nothing to do with the MFC.

Well, that's not entirely true. Yes, Mika's FB page is for any Mika fan out there. But it's run by Mika's management team and we work very closely with them, in conjunction with them in many cases. You'll notice that we very often run announcements about shows or competitions simultaneously -- that's because they let us know when they're doing something. And they recognize MFC as THE Mika Fan Club, so I wouldn't say that they have NOTHING to do with us. They actually have quite a lot to do with us, and vice versa. :thumb_yello:

Well, that's not entirely true. Yes, Mika's FB page is for any Mika fan out there. But it's run by Mika's management team and we work very closely with them, in conjunction with them in many cases. You'll notice that we very often run announcements about shows or competitions simultaneously -- that's because they let us know when they're doing something. And they recognize MFC as THE Mika Fan Club, so I wouldn't say that they have NOTHING to do with us. They actually have quite a lot to do with us, and vice versa. :thumb_yello:

Thanks for correcting my mistake Deb :hug: I've learnt something new :thumb_yello:

Thanks for correcting my mistake Deb :hug: I've learnt something new :thumb_yello:

Oh, I hope I didn't sound too rude, Muriel! And I didn't mean to correct only you, exactly. I wanted to be clear for any others who may be reading and didn't know -- I think it's important to note that while MFC is fairly independent from Mika's FB page in many ways, in many other ways we do work together. Sorry if I came across too harshly. :hug:

I've only been around a few months, and I know this is where I feel most comfortable. I like the respect that people have here for Mika, his personal life, and his family. I hate all the tabloid garbage and I'm glad it's not a part of this site.

I do follow the news on Twitter, and quite a few people on there are quite nice, but I've noticed a change just in the last few weeks. Some pretty aggressive people begging for personal messages and follows when it's pretty obvious that that's not going to happen when he follows less than 30 people. Plus a lot of inappropriate discussions. I know that's what you sign up for when you have a life of fame, but I don't find it cool.

For the record I consider myself a MFC/Mika Fan. I wish I could say I've been one for seven years. What the hell have I been doing all this time?:blink:

I've only been around a few months, and I know this is where I feel most comfortable. I like the respect that people have here for Mika, his personal life, and his family. I hate all the tabloid garbage and I'm glad it's not a part of this site.

I do follow the news on Twitter, and quite a few people on there are quite nice, but I've noticed a change just in the last few weeks. Some pretty aggressive people begging for personal messages and follows when it's pretty obvious that that's not going to happen when he follows less than 30 people. Plus a lot of inappropriate discussions. I know that's what you sign up for when you have a life of fame, but I don't find it cool.

For the record I consider myself a MFC/Mika Fan. I wish I could say I've been one for seven years. What the hell have I been doing all this time?:blink:

Exactly what I'm asking myself :aah:

:lmfao: You're a late bloomer? :naughty:

It doesn't matter. You're here now! :hug:

Well I have been an MFCer but I am still asking myself wth I've been doing all this time. :lmfao:

:lmao:

That's actually what my husband has been asking me all this time!

I can't understand why this discussion is still going on, especially since it was started by a newbie who has posted ONE TIME and then has never posted again since. Perhaps a troll, trying to stir things up? :dunno:

In any case, are we really that desperate to label ourselves? :blink:

I'm a fan of Mika's and I belong to the MFC, so that makes me an MFCer. That's all I really need. I don't get why we need to call ourselves anything else. I guess I'm showing my age. :old:

... which means we have a full right to call ourselves MFCers !

"Mikafan" is ok, it sounds equally in almost any language, so it`s international!

BTW, there`s no any difficulty with saying " MFCer". Just practice more! :thumb_yello:

• 1 month later...
:lmfao:

:lmao:

That's actually what my husband has been asking me all this time!

Second to that :lmfao:

Bumping this thread in case someone could find Mika twit about the fact that he doesn't like the word Mikafreaks...thanks if you can link me to the quote , I'm looking for it :wink2:

Edited by crazyaboutmika