Good Wife - Discussion and lyrics

thanks everyone for the lyrics! :flowers2: i couldn't make out much, you all did a fab job!

just something about those 2 lines:

Oh my God Sam, what’s happened to your senses?

I would never stress you about bringing home the plenty

could it be penny instead of plenty? would that make sense? it's one of the few words i thought i understood... :teehee:

and "sam"... i didn't understand anything there, but this random name makes no sense to me. :dunno:

besides, i agree - those are the kind of lyrics i want to hear from mika! :thumb_yello:

Nicely done everyone :clap:

I wasn't sure about this song when I first heard it from a muffled video on my iPad (sounded like You Can Call Me Al at the start which I loathe). But after hearing it properly and learning the lyrics I'd say it is far and away the best songwriting we've heard from the album (so far) and as others have said it is very Mikaish.

I loved some not so Mikaish songs on TOOL so that is not so important to me but these new songs (and many on TOOL) have just been "almost" to me. A great melody, a great theme, some snippets of great lyrics - but somehow they all come up short with a cringeworthy line, a repetitive chorus that clashes with the theme of the verses, etc. it frustrates me more than just mindless stuff on the radio or in a club because it is so close but feels to me like it still needs work.

Last Party makes up for its minor weaknesses in a powerful performance so I do like it as well. But Good Wife sounds like a complete piece of songwriting from start to finish. I really like it. And it is very nice to hear the falsetto back in just the right amount and just the right places.

Edited by Christine
  • Like 5

i didn't understand anything there, but this random name makes no sense to me. :dunno:

i heard San but I was so unsure about the whole verse I didn't know if Sam could actually be accurate but it makes sense to me now that it's in context.

Thanks guys for the lyrics! My favourite part's when he sings ''For all these things, another life I’ll have to wait''. I don't know why, but when I first listened to the song today, it sounded familiar. Did anyone have the same feeling?

I had the same feeling! Especially that "have to wait". But I thought it might be because I've heard that part in Accès Illimité an awful lot of times... I don't know :dunno:

Edited by Manon14

Good Wife sounds like a complete piece of songwriting from start to finish. I really like it. And it is very nice to hear the falsetto back in just the right amount and just the right places.

amen to that sister  :hi5:  

• Like 1

could it be penny instead of plenty? would that make sense? it's one of the few words i thought i understood... :teehee:

Here we can hear better that part,it's the studio version bit,seems like he say "plenty",isn't? around 8:47 

Edited by krysady
  • Like 1

I had the same feeling! Especially that "have to wait". But I thought it might be because I've heard that part in Accès Illimité an awful lot of times... I don't know :dunno:

Yes exactly the ''have to wait'' part was the one that struck me, but also when he sings in falsetto I have this feeling of déjà vu, it really reminds me of another song of his, as Anne said, but don't know which one and it's driving me crazy

• Like 1

Yes exactly the ''have to wait'' part was the one that struck me, but also when he sings in falsetto I have this feeling of déjà vu, it really reminds me of another song of his, as Anne said, but don't know which one and it's driving me crazy

I got the same feeling of déjà vu. It reminds me a little bit "blue eyes" but also "shake it out" by florence + the machine, especially the refrain in falsetto (shake it out, shake it out / you'll never know) or not?  :dunno:

I got the same feeling of déjà vu. It reminds me a little bit "blue eyes" but also "shake it out" by florence + the machine, especially the refrain in falsetto (shake it out, shake it out / you'll never know) or not? :dunno:

I don't have the slightest idea, but Blue Eyes didn't even cross my mind, for sure, so it must be something else. Maybe Manon's right and I just remember it from Accès Illimité :dunno:

Edit: I think I got it. The falsetto sounds a lot like How Much Do You Love Me to me.

Edited by Alyara
  • Like 1

I don't have the slightest idea, but Blue Eyes didn't even cross my mind, for sure, so it must be something else. Maybe Manon's right and I just remember it from Accès Illimité :dunno:

Edit: I think I got it. The falsetto sounds a lot like How Much Do You Love Me to me.

You were just ahead of me, I found How Much Do You Love Me as well :aah: I guess that has to be it, then

• Like 1

You were just ahead of me, I found How Much Do You Love Me as well :aah: I guess that has to be it, then

What a relief! When I can't recall something, they keep haunting me until I either remember/look them up or forget about them. So now I guess I can sleep peacefully :hi5:
  • Like 1

thanks everyone for the lyrics! :flowers2: i couldn't make out much, you all did a fab job!

just something about those 2 lines:

and "sam"... i didn't understand anything there, but this random name makes no sense to me. :dunno:

besides, i agree - those are the kind of lyrics i want to hear from mika! :thumb_yello:

I think Sam makes sense --  he's talking to his friend, Sam.

And I'm almost 100 percent sure it's plenty -- that was one line I definitely heard pretty clearly last night.

Here we can hear better that part,it's the studio version bit,seems like he say "plenty",isn't? around 8:47 

Yes, I think so. And hearing that snippet confirms a few other things for me, too. Thanks!

Could it be "bringing home the pences" ? :dunno:

http://gyazo.com/4c621b2acd63a2bd7e6e7bf0526f251d

No, I don't think so. Nobody would ever really say that. :no:

I agree, right away the song reminded me of HMDYLM and something from simon&garfunkle.

Thanks for the info about the 2 lines i was wondering about. Guess i just heard penny because i didn't know thst expression. :teehee: it has the same meaning tho, right? Bring home the money?

This song touched me in a big way. It was like being transported back to 2007. Then I realised that it's got the same vibe as Love Today, which was the song that made me look up Mika, and become a fan.

I love this song. It tells a story and it's sad, but with a happy tune. Just what Mika writes best. Thank you all for the lyrics, it's easier to understand it after reading them.

I think I'm going to really love the new album, No Place In Heaven

But God certainly has a special place in Heaven for his talented Mika.

I've done an edit, because now that I've read the rest of the thread, I can say that I agree with those who can hear HMDYLM. The song has a LT vive, but the melody has something of HMDYLM, which is good, because I loved that song and was sad it wasn't used in an album.

Good wife is officially my favourite Mika song now. 

Edited by Marilyn Mastin
  • Like 7

I love this song. It tells a story and it's sad, but with a happy tune. Just what Mika writes best. 

I love this song too and I want to add that when he writes songs about misfortunes and other people's crime, he perfectly knows how to do it   :naughty:

This song touched me in a big way. It was like being transported back to 2007. Then I realised that it's got the same vibe as Love Today, which was the song that made me look up Mika, and become a fan.

I love this song. It tells a story and it's sad, but with a happy tune. Just what Mika writes best. Thank you all for the lyrics, it's easier to understand it after reading them.

I've done an edit, because now that I've read the rest of the thread, I can say that I agree with those who can hear HMDYLM. The song has a LT vive, but the melody has something of HMDYLM, which is good, because I loved that song and was sad it wasn't used in an album.

Very well said!  :thumb_yello:  :wub:  Good Wife is another masterpiece from our golden  MIKA!!  :wub:   It seems like NPIH will be as good as LICM, or maybe better - my expectations are skyhigh,  after the songs we've already got!!  :fisch:

Thanks a lot to all of you,  who have figured out what this lyric really is - MIKA should be very proud of you!!  :wub: 

Love,love

me 

:)

Hi! It would mean the world to me if you'd watch the lyrics video I made for the song 'good wife'. There could be mistakes in it but I think it's pretty clear. It's called: 'MIKA - Good Wife Lyrics'.

Please leave a like, that would make me very happy :)

• Like 5