MIKA in UK & Ireland Press - 2015

dcdeb

The album is fantastic! I don't honestly know what these people are listening to.

But all the TV and radio stuff is great. This will help him in the UK!

Yes! So far radio/tv interviews have been great! Loved it they Rio and Promiseland and heard some other new songs have been played as well. So happy!

Yes! So far radio/tv interviews have been great! Loved it they Rio and Promiseland and heard some other new songs have been played as well. So happy!

This is what he needs. He needs them to play, not just one of the songs, but a selection. All the songs are different and they all stick in your head. The sound of the album is so polished, yet basic and melodic. Just the sort of thing Mika does so well.

One of the deaf reviewers said something like, "It's hard not to like it." Why wouldn't they want to like it? It's just because it's Mika and the UK press are against everything he does, no matter how wonderful everyone else thinks it is. I don't think most of them have even played NPIH at all. They just copy each other's reviews like a bunch of drones.

But thank God for the radio and TV coverage, and his songs being played. No one will take any notice of the stupid press, once they hear this album with their own ears.

This is what he needs. He needs them to play, not just one of the songs, but a selection. All the songs are different and they all stick in your head. The sound of the album is so polished, yet basic and melodic. Just the sort of thing Mika does so well.

One of the deaf reviewers said something like, "It's hard not to like it." Why wouldn't they want to like it? It's just because it's Mika and the UK press are against everything he does, no matter how wonderful everyone else thinks it is. I don't think most of them have even played NPIH at all. They just copy each other's reviews like a bunch of drones.

But thank God for the radio and TV coverage, and his songs being played. No one will take any notice of the stupid press, once they hear this album with their own ears.

Why do you think the reviewers didn't listen to the album because they don't like it? I played some songs to my friends and most of them don't like his music even if they've heard it with their own ears. I like that you're such an enthousiastic fan and I'm glad you love the whole album and that there are a lot of interviews in the UK now.

But why don't you accept that lots of people are not into Mika and wil never be. Yes, the reviewers have probably listened to the album only once and they may have skipped part of the songs. But there is no reason to believe they copied each others commentary because it's negative

I agree though that it is irritating that there is not enough (positive) publicity. As far as I know, they played TAY only once at out national ( dutch) radio popchannel and they didn't play any of the other songs of NPIH. And i found only three (Dutch/Belgian) reviews until now. Mostly not so positive that's why I haven't posted them here,

I'm sure there would be more Mika fans if they would know him but there would also be more Mika haters (and even more people that don't care about him at all). No need to call them stupid because of that. :wink2:

Edited by Pascale
  • Like 1

Why do you think the reviewers didn't listen to the album because they don't like it? I played some songs to my friends and most of them don't like his music even if they've heard it with their own ears. I like that you're such an enthousiastic fan and I'm glad you love the whole album and that there are a lot of interviews in the UK now.

But why don't you accept that lots of people are not into Mika and wil never be. Yes, the reviewers have probably listened to the album only once and they may have skipped part of the songs. But there is no reason to believe they copied each others commentary because it's negative

I agree though that it is irritating that there is not enough (positive) publicity. As far as I know, they played TAY only once at out national ( dutch) radio popchannel and they didn't play any of the other songs of NPIH. And i found only three (Dutch/Belgian) reviews until now. Mostly not so positive that's why I haven't posted them here,

I'm sure there would be more Mika fans if they would know him but there would also be more Mika haters (and even more people that don't care about him at all). No need to call them stupid because of that. :wink2:

I think that is a little bit harsh. Most fans on here don't like the reviews from the UK. I am not the only one.

What has upset me about the reviews, is that, at first they coloured my own reaction, until I'd actually heard the songs. Some reviews said his lyrics were cloying, or just not good. I know in the past there have been songs where the lyrics could have been better, so I actually expected that the lyrics might not be up to scratch. I was giving the reviewers the respect of listening to what they said. Giving them the benefit of the doubt, so to speak.

Then I listened to the songs I hadn't heard, and I felt so guilty for doubting Mika. I had posted that maybe he needed a good lyricist to work with him. But whether the lyrics are all his own work, or whether he had some help on some songs, I don't know. But the lyrics on this album, on the whole, are the most beautiful words he's ever sung. The boy did good, and I shouldn't have taken any notice of the UK press.

The reviews had also made me doubt his choices of such a varied career. I posted on here that maybe he does too much, and maybe he does, but it's not for me to say he shouldn't do the side projects. If he can do them and still write a wonderful album. they've not done him any harm.

Lastly. I'm aware that people don't get Mika. But why be so dismissive. Why say things like, "His best days are gone, he'll never have the success of  the first album." Why make him out to be a has-been, just because you don't like his music? At least, give him some respect in the review. Most of them don't do that, and they never have.

Anyway, I'm not going to pretend that you've not upset me with your harsh comments to me. This is a place where we can be honest, and my opinions are my own (I've always said that on here) and maybe, yes, I was angry about the reviews. But the rest of the world have been so positive, I was upset with the disrespectful reaction in my own country. I hoped for more from the UK.

Please don't pick on me. 

I think that is a little bit harsh. Most fans on here don't like the reviews from the UK. I am not the only one.

What has upset me about the reviews, is that, at first they coloured my own reaction, until I'd actually heard the songs. Some reviews said his lyrics were cloying, or just not good. I know in the past there have been songs where the lyrics could have been better, so I actually expected that the lyrics might not be up to scratch. I was giving the reviewers the respect of listening to what they said. Giving them the benefit of the doubt, so to speak.

Then I listened to the songs I hadn't heard, and I felt so guilty for doubting Mika. I had posted that maybe he needed a good lyricist to work with him. But whether the lyrics are all his own work, or whether he had some help on some songs, I don't know. But the lyrics on this album, on the whole, are the most beautiful words he's ever sung. The boy did good, and I shouldn't have taken any notice of the UK press.

The reviews had also made me doubt his choices of such a varied career. I posted on here that maybe he does too much, and maybe he does, but it's not for me to say he shouldn't do the side projects. If he can do them and still write a wonderful album. they've not done him any harm.

Lastly. I'm aware that people don't get Mika. But why be so dismissive. Why say things like, "His best days are gone, he'll never have the success of  the first album." Why make him out to be a has-been, just because you don't like his music? At least, give him some respect in the review. Most of them don't do that, and they never have.

Anyway, I'm not going to pretend that you've not upset me with your harsh comments to me. This is a place where we can be honest, and my opinions are my own (I've always said that on here) and maybe, yes, I was angry about the reviews. But the rest of the world have been so positive, I was upset with the disrespectful reaction in my own country. I hoped for more from the UK.

Please don't pick on me.

My comments were not meant to be harsh. I'm sorry if you took them that way. It can be a language/cultural thing. Maybe my words are not chosen correctly or my way of writing is more bluntly than an English person would do.

I don't mean to pick on you as well. Like I said I like it that you are such an enthousiastic fan. I think Mika is lucky to have people like you that love his music and believe in him. I myself have more doubts and feel critical sometimes when listening to NPIH. I haven't formed my opinion though because I need more time listening to the songs. But I would prefer to be as enthousiastic and happy with the songs as many fans here are. It's much nicer to love things then to be critical about them.

I can understand that you are angry and disappointed when reviewers write bad reviews (not only in the UK) especially when they are harsh and dismissive. And you explain very well that your anger is mixed with some guilt about having doubts about Mika. I don't mind your being honest about your opinion about those reviews as well. I agree it's strange that almost all the UK reviews are bad and the US reviews are mostly very positive. But when you wrote that reviewers probably hadn't probably even listened to the CD and called them stupid, I didn't like that and I also didn't agree with it nor with your statement that everyone that will listen to the CD will like it.

Of course I could have taken it as a mere expression of your anger and disappointment about the reviews and not have reacted at all. If i'm honest I probably didn't even think that you believe yourself that anyone that will have heard the album will love it.

But just as you were probably more angry at the reviewers because of your own earlier doubts, I was more upset about your opinion (or better about the way you expressed it) because of my presents doubts. I have listened to Mika's music with my own ears and I don't love it (yet). And I so much would like to love it. So words as "stupid" in this context make me feel uncomfortable. I find that rather harsh myself.

I'm sure you're not the only one having a strong opinion about the UK press (perhaps rightly so as well, I can't judge that). But you're the one writing about it now in a passionate way and that triggered my reaction. Again, I didn't mean it to be harsh but I like to write honestly and open as well.

I hope we are okay now. I like discussions about all subjects even if they're a bit heated. But I don't like upsetting people (I mean in the long term, both parties being a bit upset while discussing things is fine by me).

My comments were not meant to be harsh. I'm sorry if you took them that way. It can be a language/cultural thing. Maybe my words are not chosen correctly or my way of writing is more bluntly than an English person would do.

I don't mean to pick on you as well. Like I said I like it that you are such an enthousiastic fan. I think Mika is lucky to have people like you that love his music and believe in him. I myself have more doubts and feel critical sometimes when listening to NPIH. I haven't formed my opinion though because I need more time listening to the songs. But I would prefer to be as enthousiastic and happy with the songs as many fans here are. It's much nicer to love things then to be critical about them.

I can understand that you are angry and disappointed when reviewers write bad reviews (not only in the UK) especially when they are harsh and dismissive. And you explain very well that your anger is mixed with some guilt about having doubts about Mika. I don't mind your being honest about your opinion about those reviews as well. I agree it's strange that almost all the UK reviews are bad and the US reviews are mostly very positive. But when you wrote that reviewers probably hadn't probably even listened to the CD and called them stupid, I didn't like that and I also didn't agree with it nor with your statement that everyone that will listen to the CD will like it.

Of course I could have taken it as a mere expression of your anger and disappointment about the reviews and not have reacted at all. If i'm honest I probably didn't even think that you believe yourself that anyone that will have heard the album will love it.

But just as you were probably more angry at the reviewers because of your own earlier doubts, I was more upset about your opinion (or better about the way you expressed it) because of my presents doubts. I have listened to Mika's music with my own ears and I don't love it (yet). And I so much would like to love it. So words as "stupid" in this context make me feel uncomfortable. I find that rather harsh myself.

I'm sure you're not the only one having a strong opinion about the UK press (perhaps rightly so as well, I can't judge that). But you're the one writing about it now in a passionate way and that triggered my reaction. Again, I didn't mean it to be harsh but I like to write honestly and open as well.

I hope we are okay now. I like discussions about all subjects even if they're a bit heated. But I don't like upsetting people (I mean in the long term, both parties being a bit upset while discussing things is fine by me).

Thank you for that. I understand the language thing being a bit difficult sometimes.

When I mentioned that one reviewer said, "It's hard not to like it," and I said, "Why wouldn't they like it? Let me try and explain what I meant, if I can.

It wasn't the fact that he didn't like the cd that got me annoyed. It was because,from his comment, he seemed to already have had an opinion that it wouldn't be good, and he wouldn't like it, then, after listening to it, he grudgingly said, "it's hard not to like it. It just seemed to me that he was trying to find a reason not to like Mika's album. But why should the press people always think that Mika's work won't be good, before they actually hear it? If they listen, and don't like it, just say so, not say something like what they said? That's why I got annoyed, but maybe didn't express myself too well.

Also, I wasn't the first person to comment that the Irish and Scottish reviews were very similar. They are similar, though of course, it might have been a

coincidence. But it just seemed a bit fishy to me, so I said something about it. But only on here. I didn't go onto their pages and leave comments. For one thing, they take no notice anyway. For another thing, Mika is getting lots of other coverage at the moment, and his songs are being played. So they speak for themselves.

But, as I said before, I had made some assumptions myself, before hearing the complete album. It's something I don't usually do. I think it was because I want, so badly, for Mika to do well in the UK again, and I wondered, for a moment, if he'd blown it. The reviewers (the first ones anyway) were going on about him doing X Factor and The Voice, and designing things, and not writing a good enough album. They also said his lyrics weren't good. So because I hadn't yet heard all the songs, I wondered if they were right. But once I heard the songs, I realised they were not. I love the album. The music and the words, and I felt guilty as hell for doubting Mika, even for a second.

So I hope I've explained things better now. Of course I still want to discuss things with you. We're fine, and I'm glad you think I'm a good fan and  so are you too.

Enjoy all the good stuff. I know I'm enjoying it. I've waited so long for this promo in the UK. It's fantastic.

• Like 1

A review of the BST Festival includes a nice mention of Mika and a link to a video:

MIKA HAS BEEN MISSED

It seems like only yesterday we were cackling about MIKA and his, frankly, frightful duet with pop poppette Ariana Grande, but watching his performance on Sunday (heavily weighted with material from his spectacular debut) we were reminded what a fun and colourful part of the pop landscape he is. The new material wasn’t half bad either. Good to have you back, MIKA.

Read More: 6 Things We Learned From British Summertime | http://popcrush.com/6-things-we-learned-british-summer-time-2015/?trackback=tsmclip

[media]

[/media]
  • Like 5

A review of the BST Festival includes a nice mention of Mika and a link to a video:

MIKA HAS BEEN MISSED

It seems like only yesterday we were cackling about MIKA and his, frankly, frightful duet with pop poppette Ariana Grande, but watching his performance on Sunday (heavily weighted with material from his spectacular debut) we were reminded what a fun and colourful part of the pop landscape he is. The new material wasn’t half bad either. Good to have you back, MIKA.

Read More: 6 Things We Learned From British Summertime | http://popcrush.com/6-things-we-learned-british-summer-time-2015/?trackback=tsmclip

[media]

[/media]

Awesome!!!

As regards to reviews of any album, film or whatever, I don't listen to the critics/reviewers, because as far as I can see, they are commenting on a subject they would love to be able to do, but don't have the bottle or talent to achieve. The only person who has ever proved me wrong of that, is Chrissie Hynde of the Pretenders, as she actually did get out of the office and do it.

You have to take the rough with the smooth, and for some reason UK reviewers don't have a high opinion of MIka, I guess because he likes to creatively go his own way, and not follow the Indy Chic way of doing things that some of these people think is so cool. He clearly likes his fashion etc, but it's not the same people as the critics/journos here follow, so they take delight in tearing into him.

I guess that is why he feels at home going on Jo Whileys show, even though Jo does follow some of these people I spoke of, she is a lot more flexible and eclectic in her tastes. 

As long as people just watch and listen to the interviews on tv and radio, buy the album and make up their own mind, instead of looking at a biased rating system in a magazine or paper (and yes that goes for any that are giving good marks too), then things will even out, and hopefully he will have a great chunk of new fans.

• Like 6

Is Popcrush UK/Eire though? It reads as if it's American

I must admit that while I agree that he needs to be played more on radio and show off his witty charm in interviews (which I've certainly seen him do in the past), THE #1 thing he should go all out for, IMO, is to get captive audiences to hear him live - like at festivals.

Because he is matchless live.

Although, unfortunately, he's no more able to force his way onto the stage than he is to make DJs play him or interviewers interview him.

Edited by Soaring Simpson
  • Like 2

I must admit that while I agree that he needs to be played more on radio and show off his witty charm in interviews (which I've certainly seen him do in the past), THE #1 thing he should go all out for, IMO, is to get captive audiences to hear him live - like at festivals.

Although, unfortunately, he's no more able to force his way onto the stage than he is to make DJs play him or interviewers interview him.

But at least he's had some good UK publicity.

I agree - anything that would give MIKA the attention as the ultimate live artist, that's what he needs :thumb_yello:  :wub:   But as you so wisely say: he can't force anything, and that's the essense of the problem, imo as well :(   He has to be wanted, invited and "used" - like he's in Italy and France! These countries understand what a diamond MIKA really is! :thumb_yello:  :wub:  Anyway, I'm very happy to hear about new and positive attention in the UK lately - let's hope it continues,  throughout the summer - and the rest of the year... :) 

Love,love

me   

The scotsman review : http://www.scotsman.com/what-s-on/music/film-review-mika-no-place-in-heaven-1-3807967

Although the ebullient Mika has never subsequently burned so brightly nor trilled so mock operatically as he did on his 2007 debut album, Life in Cartoon Motion, he has continued to live the life of a platinum-selling global pop star, with fingers in many pies, including collaborations in the fashion and design worlds and a couple of reality TV shows, judging on Italian X Factor and the French edition of The Voice.

Mika: No Place in Heaven

(Virgin EMI)

But somewhere in all the extra-curricular whirl, he has found time to write a new album. Mika has always given off the impression that songs just flow from his fingertips – if only he would dig a little deeper rather than simply cream the froth off the top and allow it to evaporate to nothing around our ears.

Over the years, he has toned down the bubblegum and flamboyance but failed to fill the void with anything substantial, making No Place in Heaven another frustratingly underwhelming offering from a musician who always hints at the talent beneath.

The big, catchy pop chorus and mildly celebratory spirit of opening track Talk About You is the upbeat exception on a pretty insipid collection, as Mika revisits past themes of urban romance and being crazy and consumed in love.

All She Wants is breezy doo-wop pop juxtaposed with darkly humorous lyrics about a mother’s expectations (“all she wants is the sun and the moon, a son with a wife and a living room”) which sound like they belong in the country canon.

Family relationships also inform Good Wife as the narrator looks on longingly at a fracturing marriage and sighs, “I would be a good 
wife”.

On his debut hit Grace Kelly, Mika resolved to “try a little Freddie”. Now that Queen proxy vocalist Adam Lambert has that role sewn up, Mika offers up Last Party, a limp nostalgic salute to wilder times which would shut down any party. The flowing piano flourish of the title track is a marginally more effective Mercury tribute, while Good Guys’ lament for a lost age of gay male icons is more explicit in its subject matter, if couched in blank backing vocals and sentimental strings.

Oh Girl You’re the Devil picks up the pace a little but, far from jousting with the demon of the title, sounds like a bland boy band offering while Rio is a thoroughly non-escapist ditty about escapism, with a wafer-thin layer of restlessness and malcontent running through
its harmless shuffle.

The yearning laidback summer pop of Staring at the Sun stands out in such vanilla company, while the beautifully sung Ordinary Man draws on classic confessional piano ballad territory and shows that Mika can strike a resonant emotional chord when he has a mind to.

I have been googling, Photoshopping, basically driving myself mad trying to figure out what this magazine is with no success. I don't know why but figuring this out has become like a personal vendetta  ;)

My question is, did you take this picture or did you find it somewhere? If so, where'd you find it?

I have been googling, Photoshopping, basically driving myself mad trying to figure out what this magazine is with no success. I don't know why but figuring this out has become like a personal vendetta  ;)

My question is, did you take this picture or did you find it somewhere? If so, where'd you find it?

I tried to take a look and see if I could find something. The only thing I found is this girl's twitter. You could ask her maybe?

https://mobile.twitter.com/lemauvaistemps/status/614567468934254593