Fan Action Plans for the Adelphi Theatre - 18.10.

Jonc

Thinking about the lighting situation - and Mika being able to see all the different things dotted around the auditorium - I wonder if it would be possible to ask the theatre to put up the house lights for TAY?

Thinking about the lighting situation - and Mika being able to see all the different things dotted around the auditorium - I wonder if it would be possible to ask the theatre to put up the house lights for TAY?

i wouldn't do that. it impacts mika's performance, and the house lights have an atmosphere of "the gig is over". don't you think the stage lights will be enough to see it all? usually the venue isn't completely dark, but if we use bright colours it should be possible to see. :dunno:

I think Mika may struggle to see it all without the house lights on. I've been to a lot of concerts & frequently the artists say they can't really see the audience or can only see the front few rows. But I agree that having the house lights on would spoilt the atmosphere. I wonder if anyone at the theatre would be able to advise us further on what they'd expect Mika to be able to see from the stage. Perhaps there'd be a level of lighting between the standard concert lighting & having the house lights on that would work better for TAY but that might take some organising. If anything like this has been done in the past what happened with the lighting then?

Edited by mysti1990

I think Mika may struggle to see it all without the house lights on. I've been to a lot of concerts & frequently the artists say they can't really see the audience or can only see the front few rows. But I agree that having the house lights on would spoilt the atmosphere. I wonder if anyone at the theatre would be able to advise us further on what they'd expect Mika to be able to see from the stage. Perhaps there'd be a level of lighting between the standard concert lighting & having the house lights on that would work better for TAY but that might take some organising. If anything like this has been done in the past what happened with the lighting then?

in the cases where things like this have been done, i think it always was visible without special light. but i don't remember if anything had been done with different "layers", like the stars on the balcony. i just remember there was balloons, tinsel, fabric, fish, toilet paper, paper planes - at different gigs in different sized venues around the world, and i think it all worked without special lighting. IF needed, i think there are bright stage lights that can put light on the audience - that would be something where only mika's light engineer could help us. but i don't think he'll do it without consent from mika, which would spoil the surprise. usually when mika can't see well but wants to see more, he tells them to turn up those stage lights. i remember there were similar concerns about the surprises in avenches (which didn't work in the end, for other reasons than the lighting), which was open air, so no house lights... and we didn't really find a solution for it.

in the cases where things like this have been done, i think it always was visible without special light. but i don't remember if anything had been done with different "layers", like the stars on the balcony. i just remember there was balloons, tinsel, fabric, fish, toilet paper, paper planes - at different gigs in different sized venues around the world, and i think it all worked without special lighting. IF needed, i think there are bright stage lights that can put light on the audience - that would be something where only mika's light engineer could help us. but i don't think he'll do it without consent from mika, which would spoil the surprise. usually when mika can't see well but wants to see more, he tells them to turn up those stage lights. i remember there were similar concerns about the surprises in avenches (which didn't work in the end, for other reasons than the lighting), which was open air, so no house lights... and we didn't really find a solution for it.

I agree with you, Karin.  Usually Mika wants to know everything happening during the show in advance and they would never do changes in lights without asking him first. I don't think the venue should do anything either... if he wants to see better he will ask for lights. He has done that several times. 

The simpler things are kept the better is so true :thumb_yello: This is an important night for him so everything needs to go well (lol, just my opinion but I don't want to be nervous for him!). The original idea with houses and stars etc is lovely and with so many fans (sitting everywhere in the audience in every floor) and clear instructions for everyone it should be easy to make happen with very little risk. 

This will be a massive event. Can't believe almost 100 fans will be there!  So nice to have something like this to look forward to  :wub:

• Like 2

I just thought I'd mention, there is a thread about a TAY fan video for Mika's birthday. I thought I'd mention it, because it's on the same lines as this, so there may be opportunities for collaboration, with the ideas for the buildings etc.

• Like 1

Luminous paint would be amazing, but we were thinking about printing 300 pieces at least, and I am afraid that we'll never be able to make as much with our own hands :C I am not sure if they print with luminous paints or anything similiar but that'll probably cost zillions of pounds. :C 

What if we print the whole thing and then paint the windows of the buildings, the stars and the other things which are good to see aglow, with luminous paint? It'll make it less expensive and easier....

Yes, I think that we will be more or less visible from the stage and I can't imagine Mika not asking people to put a light on us to see the action better - he would definitely want to see that! :) 

What if we print the whole thing and then paint the windows of the buildings, the stars and the other things which are good to see aglow, with luminous paint? It'll make it less expensive and easier....

That is a good idea. Get a bucket and paint the significant parts. :D I'll check on that too! 

Yes, I think that we will be more or less visible from the stage and I can't imagine Mika not asking people to put a light on us to see the action better - he would definitely want to see that! :) 

That is a good idea. Get a bucket and paint the significant parts. :D I'll check on that too! 

it could work, but we'd have to be smart about what to paint- printing 300-500 buildings and filling in each window could take a long time, but it's not impossible :) I guess we should encourage anyone who is making their own to make it as sparkly+luminous as possible. Anyway, I think the lighting issue is gonna end up fine- as people have mentioned, he often asks the house lights to be turned up :D so the only problem would be to get the full scale of the cityscape noticed, which hopefully ith numbers shouldn't be difficult.

i wouldn't do that. it impacts mika's performance, and the house lights have an atmosphere of "the gig is over". don't you think the stage lights will be enough to see it all? usually the venue isn't completely dark, but if we use bright colours it should be possible to see. :dunno:

This is why I suggested luminous paint/ink. Normal paint/ink may not show up so well in the dark.

Just wondering, before you print a huge number of houses, which then will all look pretty similar, maybe we should check whether we find some mfcers who'd be able and willing to prepare a bunch of houses etc? Like, if we find 15 mfcers who'd each prepare 20 houses until october, we'd also have 300. :dunno: and it'd be more individual, handmade. I could certainly do 20, plus some cactuses or stars or sth like that.

• Like 1

Just wondering, before you print a huge number of houses, which then will all look pretty similar, maybe we should check whether we find some mfcers who'd be able and willing to prepare a bunch of houses etc? Like, if we find 15 mfcers who'd each prepare 20 houses until october, we'd also have 300. :dunno: and it'd be more individual, handmade. I could certainly do 20, plus some cactuses or stars or sth like that.

I'll be willing to join the drawing!

I've made a start on the badges. They're not quite as big as I originally planed, because they looked too clumsy like that, but the name shows up on each one really well and they are all individual designs.

I will just need to know how many you want me to make. They are not luminous though, but they are fun, and glittery. I hope that's okay.

• Like 1

I've made a start on the badges. They're not quite as big as I originally planed, because they looked too clumsy like that, but the name shows up on each one really well and they are all individual designs.

I will just need to know how many you want me to make. They are not luminous though, but they are fun, and glittery. I hope that's okay.

don't worry about them being non-luminous-glitter ill catch the light and look awesome anyway :) I've been putting off telling you how many because I'm not too sure myself (also, of course, I realise that this will be a very time and energy consuming project for you, and I don't want to give you some ridiculously big number or a wild guess) :3 so what does everyone think? Should they just be for rsvpers, or should we give some out?

• Like 1

don't worry about them being non-luminous-glitter ill catch the light and look awesome anyway :) I've been putting off telling you how many because I'm not too sure myself (also, of course, I realise that this will be a very time and energy consuming project for you, and I don't want to give you some ridiculously big number or a wild guess) :3 so what does everyone think? Should they just be for rsvpers, or should we give some out?

I could do about 50 badges. You can use them as you wish. It will take a while as I have my other work to do as well, but still, there is plenty of time and I'll have them all ready, long before October.

• Like 2

Yes, this would be amazing - 'cause I've started checking the printing services. I just had the first response.

And with the issue of buildings/stars/props looking similiar, I wanted to print different designes in bunches, sooo they wouldn't look the same. I definitely want this to look as creative as possible, I want everybody to participate and have fun - that is my main dream about this action. 

print.png

So this is actually quite expensive, but this is only service that replied to me so far. My fellow illustration students sent me couple of services to check as well - they might be discount-for-a-poor-student friendly. 

So, actually, what we could do is either collect a team in which everybody would be obliged to make 20+ copies of their own beautiful buildings/stars/props or if someone want to volunteer as well but feel not very confident as an artist, then go way much cheaper and print 10/20 copies of A3 buildings/stars/props and help a lot anyway. 

For I second I thought that the more quantity you wanna print the cheaper it is and I kind of wanted to fund the action myself, but I won't be able to afford it (sorry! :C) 'cause I'm a foreign student without parents' support so, you know. BUT! Still not losing hope, 'cause I have loads of printing services to chceck. Gonna keep you updated. 

i know from previous projects that some mfcers are very generous when it comes to funding fan actions like this. so we could make two lists, one of mfcers who would draw, one with mfcers who'd each chip in 5 pounds or more for the printing costs. so we could do both. ;)

• Like 2

I am so so so sorry for late reply and lack of commitment, they increased my hours for a week at work and it was hard to find some free time!

Okay, guys - should we do the lists then? 
I think we might need three:
1. People who want to design the pieces (for printing or copying by hand)
2. People who want to make the spare pieces.
3. People who want to print some spare pieces or chip in.

I think, if you want, you can be on all of the lists, because this is what I want to do - I want to design, to make some spare pieces and print some as well, to make the biggest amount as I can. 

You can message me or sign here, all take care of managing the lists. ;)

we mean "buidings" or such that we can print off in fairly large numbeers and distribute on the day to non-mfcers at the gig :)

Ahhhh, I understand  :thumb_yello:

i'd create some unique buildings/items, so they don't all look the same. count me in for 20, maybe more if necessary.

as for printing, i could print a4 sheets if that helps, maybe that'd be ok for the stars? we have a laser printer, so printing about 100 or so isn't a problem - just the colours aren't really bright and beautiful, as they are on an inkjet printer. dunno what your plans are and if a4 printing makes sense at all, but let me know if you need it.

• Like 2