Fan Action Plans for the Adelphi Theatre - 18.10.

Jonc

Hello!
I know it's a bit early, but...
Me and NeverMakeNoSense went through a brainstorm today and we just realised, that we couldn't imagine the Adelphi Theatre gig without showing Mika a little bit of love from his UK fans and making a special fan action for the concert - as we know, some of the fans did that before and it's not only an amazing tribute to Mika but also fun and it binds the fandom together! 

We also came up with an idea - as it is a theatre, with sitting sections on different levels, the visual potential is incredible!

Therefore, we were thinking that we could create an amazing, inspired by the cover of No Place in Heaven and Talk About You set cityscape created by the fans! For example, if each Stalls fan would hold the building, the beautiful, colorful building from the cover, then the Dress Circle and the Upper Circle could hold the parts of the sky and stars, with an inspiration taken from the part of Talk About You. 
So, what Mika sees from the stage is the city in front of him, and the sky and the stars above it. 

And this is the part when amazing creativity of the fans chimes in! The buildings don't have to be the only part of the cityscape. Chimneys with a smoke, clocktowers, aerials, planes, even people (or the London must see attractions like London Eye) - all of those elements could combine the beautiful view of a city. Stars could have their tails, there could be clouds, birds, spaceships - the sky can accomodate them all! 

However, the whole idea still needs a lot of planning and your help! Also, we don't want to be bossy or anything, so any changes, any other ideas would be appreciated greatly - we are just sharing our vision, but we cannot say that we are not excited already with a dream of the cityscape in our heads! 

Let us know what you think! 

Love from Jonc and NeverMakeNoSense. 

UPDATE:

So, as the show is coming up in big steps, this is what we have sorted out so far: 

To contribute to the action, we need your help! 

As you know, we'll try to make the cityscape out of an audience, so depending where your seat is, you can become a part of it, by creating an A4 piece of the cityscape or print and cut out one of the designs provided (links to follow).

We decided that: 
- fans with stalls tickets will be holding: buildings and other parts of architecture

- fans with dress circle tickets will be holding: stars

- fans with upper circle tickets will be holding: clouds and victory/peace signs from Mika's twitter

So! You can help this action to happen either by making your own, unique part of the cityscape or just printing off some of the images below:

(NOTE: we need definitely less stars than other pieces, as dcdeb has 100 of those for us already <<yay!>>, so please, consider printing other stuff before that. Unless you really want to have a star beforehand. I love stars, so I understand :)

">6408e8.jpg

http://www.speedyshare.com/v2cmQ/mika

">imkrcj.jpg

http://speedy.sh/MntR9/mika7.jpg

">2nuj7v8.jpg

http://speedy.sh/8Mgzs/mika2.jpg

">984zno.jpg

http://speedy.sh/ne87y/mika3.jpg

">vik4r9.jpg

http://speedy.sh/WzyEP/mika5.jpg

It would be most appreciated if you could create/print some extra pieces of cityscape so we could share them with the fans, who didn't manage to bring their own! 

Let's make a great surprise for Mika. 

Edited by Jonc
  • Like 10

I have no artistic ability at all but I love the idea & think if done well (which I'm sure it will be) it could look fantastic :)

I believe that everybody has artistic ability, but I can help with anything, if you want! :)) Thank you for your support!

I also believe that all of the fans can do something beautiful and it's not about this being the masterpieces, which in my opinion they will be anyway, 'cause made with a heart and just for fun! 

Edited by Jonc

I have to be honest that I am probably too lazy to participate in this but I think it's a very nice idea. Especially having the circle sections appear like the sky. 

Maybe if some of these props can be easily and cheaply mass produced you can get more people involved and hand out to random people at the gig and not just MFCers. I think in a venue this size you'd want to get at least 300-400 people involved to really make an impact.

• Like 4

I have to be honest that I am probably too lazy to participate in this but I think it's a very nice idea. Especially having the circle sections appear like the sky. 

Maybe if some of these props can be easily and cheaply mass produced you can get more people involved and hand out to random people at the gig and not just MFCers. I think in a venue this size you'd want to get at least 300-400 people involved to really make an impact.

The mass production is a great idea. We were thinking of maybe issuing templates for people to print off, but, as you said, not everyone will be an MFCer, so it would be a good idea to prepare many in advance and distribute them there. The scale of this will probably have to depend on the interest we see here.

• Like 2

I so much love this idea! The venue in the perfect location for such an amazing idea. The problem I see here is: will you hand out pieces of landscape once everyone has got their own seats? Because I think very few people will read this thread and join us and in order to have a fantastic outcome we need as many people as possible contributing at the fan action that night. Anyway. I'm in!

• Like 1

I so much love this idea! The venue in the perfect location for such an amazing idea. The problem I see here is: will you hand out pieces of landscape once everyone has got their own seats? Because I think very few people will read this thread and join us and in order to have a fantastic outcome we need as many people as possible contributing at the fan action that night. Anyway. I'm in!

I would suggest bringing extras and handing them out to people sitting in the seats and include instructions ("hold this paper up during Talk About You" or whatever). Also print out the MFC logo and web address onto the instruction pages. We handed out something like this at a Quebec festival and people thought it was coming directly from Mika so they were very enthusiastic about participating. At least 1000 people followed the instructions and it worked really well.

• Like 4

I love this idea! Well done! As I ( and my daughter) will be flying with hand baggage only we will be very limited as to what we can bring but I am very happy to get involved.

• Like 1

I would suggest bringing extras and handing them out to people sitting in the seats and include instructions ("hold this paper up during Talk About You" or whatever). Also print out the MFC logo and web address onto the instruction pages. We handed out something like this at a Quebec festival and people thought it was coming directly from Mika so they were very enthusiastic about participating. At least 1000 people followed the instructions and it worked really well.

This is brilliant. 

• Like 1

Way to go fans!!!!!

I've been thinking myself. How can we show Mika that the UK still loves him. This is a wonderful idea and even though I won't be there myself, I'd love to share my ideas!!

Here's some suggestions for the city-scape.

Yes, by all means, bring extras, for random fans to hold, with info about MFC printed on them.

As for iconic sights of London. I would definitely include, The London Eye, and what about The Shard? That is big and bold, or would that be too ambitious, as it is so big?

Don't forget the river. Maybe one row in the stalls, could hold a long blue piece of material along the row (sort of of like the fake sea in the Underwater video)

What I think you need to do, and since there is time, it's doable, is for someone really artistic to draw a plan of the theatre, as it would look from Mika's perspective, with the circles and stalls, how he would see them, and then everyone could see where they, themselves, would fit in to the land-and-sky scape. Then (although I don't know about technology so I don't know if it could be done) But if it was possible to add your own self and your building, river or sky, and anything extra. Because you really need to see how it's all going to look, when Mika claps his eyes on it.

But yes, this is a brilliant way to show random fans how much we all love Mika, and how we're willing to show him, with this wonderful gesture.

Another thought. Since you are all going to be walking about in London. Why not wear something with Mika's name on it. A T-shirt if you have one, or get one printed, or something which says his name, like a big name-badge. Just to let people in the street see that you are here for Mika.

Maybe, if this is not too ambitious. What about trying to organise a flash mob before the concert. It could also be advertised on Twitter and fb, as it would need more fans than we have here, but it's another way to Mika-blitz the city.

That's all for now. I'd love to join the discussions on this thread, even though I won't be there. Maybe my input will be of help.

Edited by Marilyn Mastin
  • Like 1

Coming back to some previous topics:
Well, we definitely have to go out of this topic and MFC to spread the word - we'll need to ask some fanpages, maybe the main site of MFC could help us to spread the word as well? If we could reach the mother fanpage on facebook, that would probably help very much but I am afraid it would spoil the surprise for Mika as well.
And making extra props is... Well, probably essential. The thing is, the easiest way would be to print like 500 copies or something, but there's a cost. I study at UAL, I think they do that, massive printing, but I have to check the prices! :)

What do you guys think? Should we collect the money or just rather make extra ourselves?

That is a very good idea! Thank you for the advice! 

Way to go fans!!!!!

I've been thinking myself. How can we show Mika that the UK still loves him. This is a wonderful idea and even though I won't be there myself, I'd love to share my ideas!!

Here's some suggestions for the city-scape.

Yes, by all means, bring extras, for random fans to hold, with info about MFC printed on them.

As for iconic sights of London. I would definitely include, The London Eye, and what about The Shard? That is big and bold, or would that be too ambitious, as it is so big?

Don't forget the river. Maybe one row in the stalls, could hold a long blue piece of material along the row (sort of of like the fake sea in the Underwater video)

What I think you need to do, and since there is time, it's doable, is for someone really artistic to draw a plan of the theatre, as it would look from Mika's perspective, with the circles and stalls, how he would see them, and then everyone could see where they, themselves, would fit in to the land-and-sky scape. Then (although I don't know about technology so I don't know if it could be done) But if it was possible to add your own self and your building, river or sky, and anything extra. Because you really need to see how it's all going to look, when Mika claps his eyes on it.

But yes, this is a brilliant way to show random fans how much we all love Mika, and how we're willing to show him, with this wonderful gesture.

Another thought. Since you are all going to be walking about in London. Why not wear something with Mika's name on it. A T-shirt if you have one, or get one printed, or something which says his name, like a big name-badge. Just to let people in the street see that you are here for Mika.

Maybe, if this is not too ambitious. What about trying to organise a flash mob before the concert. It could also be advertised on Twitter and fb, as it would need more fans than we have here, but it's another way to Mika-blitz the city.

That's all for now. I'd love to join the discussions on this thread, even though I won't be there. Maybe my input will be of help.

This sounds beautiful as well! I wouldn't mind doing the plan, to be honest, I was thinking about going to Adelphi and begging them just to show me how the venue looks like, but I don't think they'll let me c: So, yeah - I can draw the plan more or less, however, I think it'll all happen randomly - I mean, I don't know how many fans we can drag into the action so it could be as organised to follow the plan - and the river, I love it so much, this idea, but I don't know how to make a whole row into this, it would need to find all of the fans from one row and make someone to bring the blue fabric (costs ;c). I am also afraid, that there might people who want to quietly enjoy Mika's music and maybe they'll feel insecure or annoyed with the fabric? I am always being paranoid about making someone feel offended. 

About walking around the city and the flashmobs - why not! What do you guys think? 

Edited by Jonc

I thought I was so over doing this kind of thing at Mika gigs, but when I read this... what a great idea.   :thumb_yello:

Love the idea of those who are artistic making a few each so they can hand them out to those who are not so artistic (like me) or those travelling from abroad

with hand luggage (like me  :naughty: although it depends how big the piece will be).  Or having them mass produced.  And maybe with the instructions and MFC logo etc on the back of the piece instead of having to hand out separate sheets of instruction.

Actually I might be able to persuade No1 to make some for me. :teehee:

• Like 2

I totally understand people travelling from abroad or people who don't feel confident with making their piece themselves (however I do believe everybody can make a beautiful one!) so yeah - mass production will have to happen! 
When I'll be off from work, I'll research the printing services and look for the prices. 

Also - are we all alright with the buildings looking similiarly to the ones from the cover and the stars or any other parts from Talk About You video? They're amazing, I suppose, but I wouldn't mind taking them as inspiration, not only copying them exactly :) 

I would love to design some - I am an illustrator-to-be, so it's just so much my field and probably good thing for my portfolio! But I would love other people to patricipate if they want, I am sure NeverMakeNoSense will want to design some as well, and if anyone wants to help, pleaaaase, just do it! I mean, I just want people to do whatever they want, making this fun for everyone, I am honoured to be part of this.
Good we still have like 4 months to go, lots of things to handle! :D 

About the size - something fitting the A3 size or A2 should be fine - no bigger than that, I don't want to block people view too much or not at all, 'cause i am sure everone's want to see Mika's reaction and they have to be easy to hide, putting them on your knees or leaning on the seat in front of you. They can't be too heavy too - anyway, the thinner paper will be cheaper to print on. But not too thin. 

What is also good - we don't have to queue in case to get good seats - therefore we can be early and just stand next to the entrance and hand them in. Or walk around the people sitting, once we're gonna get in. We'll need some help with this too, I suppose! 

Congratz Jonc - with a great idea for the Adelphi Theatre 18th Oct.   :thumb_yello:  I think MIKA will love it :wub: He recently said, in an interview, that the creativety of his fans is what he likes the most! :teehee:  Just make sure that the security don't destroy your plans, and all your efforts to make this happen!  I don't know how strict they are in the UK,  about what you bring with you/use  in such an intime arena, but you surely do  :wink2: Good luck with everything!!  :) 

Btw, you have a really sweet drawing of MIKA & Mel - suppose you made it yourself?  :)

Love,love

me    

I think I can help! I love this artistic stuff! If we decide early I'll have the whole summer to draw things as I'm about to have my last exam and then be free (hoping to pass it). The only problem I've got is that I'll have to catch a plane so either I send it to you via mail or they must be not too big, and easy to stock in a trolley. Speaking about a river and London's famous attractions, why not drawing the Tower bridge? 

Well, we definitely have to go out of this topic and MFC to spread the word - we'll need to ask some fanpages, maybe the main site of MFC could help us to spread the word as well? If we could reach the mother fanpage on facebook, that would probably help very much but I am afraid it would spoil the surprise for Mika as well.

And making extra props is... Well, probably essential. The thing is, the easiest way would be to print like 500 copies or something, but there's a cost. I study at UAL, I think they do that, massive printing, but I have to check the prices! :)

What do you guys think? Should we collect the money or just rather make extra ourselves?

This sounds beautiful as well! I wouldn't mind doing the plan, to be honest, I was thinking about going to Adelphi and begging them just to show me how the venue looks like, but I don't think they'll let me c: So, yeah - I can draw the plan more or less, however, I think it'll all happen randomly - I mean, I don't know how many fans we can drag into the action so it could be as organised to follow the plan - and the river, I love it so much, this idea, but I don't know how to make a whole row into this, it would need to find all of the fans from one row and make someone to bring the blue fabric (costs ;c). I am also afraid, that there might people who want to quietly enjoy Mika's music and maybe they'll feel insecure or annoyed with the fabric? I am always being paranoid about making someone feel offended. 

About walking around the city and the flashmobs - why not! What do you guys think? 

Well I thought about the T-shirts and/or badges with Mika's name, because they are great advertising for him, in London, without being too expensive. I thought of a flashmob, because with everyone in London anyway, I thought it is a good opportunity for something like that, and if you are all wearing something with Mika's name anyway., that would look awesome.

But for anything like that, yes you'd need to advertise it to get more people involved. Maybe, you could advertise a flash mob on fb and twitter, or anywhere else you want, and ask fans on other sites to wear something with his name on, and join the flashmob, but keep the thing in the theatre, with the buildings, etc, as a surprise for Mika. Just hand the stuff out at the time.

The city-scape would only be for the one song, so I don't think it would spoil peoples' enjoyment of Mika.

If you do make the river, it could be made of crepe paper, something not too expensive. It would just need to be cut, and stuck together to make a long piece, it should still look good from the stage.

Edited by Marilyn Mastin
  • Like 1

All these ideas are amazing. The flash mob would probably be most effective near to the venue, with the highest concentration of Mika fans. Also it would be a great idea to meet up and try and squeeze a bit of organisation into how it's going to look from the stage or distribute spare copies. we could also sneakily invite facebook users etc to the flashmob and promote it publically, but not mention that it is also part of the cityscape organisation to not reveal the surprise.

Most probably the spectacke will look pretty chaotic anyway, and even if we try our best it would be almost impossible to get 100% of people involved and choreographed. This might mean that a river would have to be handed out directly to the row just before the show. Anyway, as long as we get a good variety of buildings etc it will look amazing- what city is neat anyway?? :)

I totally understand people travelling from abroad or people who don't feel confident with making their piece themselves (however I do believe everybody can make a beautiful one!) so yeah - mass production will have to happen!

When I'll be off from work, I'll research the printing services and look for the prices.

Also - are we all alright with the buildings looking similiarly to the ones from the cover and the stars or any other parts from Talk About You video? They're amazing, I suppose, but I wouldn't mind taking them as inspiration, not only copying them exactly :)

I would love to design some - I am an illustrator-to-be, so it's just so much my field and probably good thing for my portfolio! But I would love other people to patricipate if they want, I am sure NeverMakeNoSense will want to design some as well, and if anyone wants to help, pleaaaase, just do it! I mean, I just want people to do whatever they want, making this fun for everyone, I am honoured to be part of this.

Good we still have like 4 months to go, lots of things to handle! :D

About the size - something fitting the A3 size or A2 should be fine - no bigger than that, I don't want to block people view too much or not at all, 'cause i am sure everone's want to see Mika's reaction and they have to be easy to hide, putting them on your knees or leaning on the seat in front of you. They can't be too heavy too - anyway, the thinner paper will be cheaper to print on. But not too thin.

What is also good - we don't have to queue in case to get good seats - therefore we can be early and just stand next to the entrance and hand them in. Or walk around the people sitting, once we're gonna get in. We'll need some help with this too, I suppose!

Just confirming that I would love to help with the designing :) also, if we make a few line art templates for people to print off, those who consider thenselves less artistically eloquent can colour it in by themselves, and then tey would all end up looking different with little effort (and little money). A couple of different designs from different designers to hand out on the day would also give the landscape a nice variety :)

Will the cityscape be during Talk About You? That seems the obvious song but I know it's not a fan favourite.

That is true. I was actually wondering whether we should attempt any type of choreography or timed reveal with this- for example, writing on the back of the spare buildings something like "WAVE ME WHEN HE SAYS TOWN", and holding different sections up at different times. Is that ridiculously ambitious? Then I guess people would keep waving them during other songs as well, but talk about you just seems like a logical song to do this during...