2019 - Sept.13 @ Brooklyn Steel NYC : PICS / VIDS / REPORTS

Kumazzz

1 hour ago, giraffeandy said:

There is also Sinfonia Pop (both live CD and DVD) but I guess it's something different for him because he sings with the symphony orchestra... And he probably already forgot about Live at Sadler's Wells (live CD)? Actually I collect CDs and the only live albums I have (and also the only I care about) ae from Mika so it's quite strange that according to him he didn't release any. :naughty:

I wonder but as long as we get the live CD and DVD I am happy :woot_jump:

• Like 3

11 hours ago, cat_loves_mika said:

My first gig! I guess I picked a killer one too. All the lovely people I met said Mika just had so much extra energy tonight and it was definitely for the live DVD. I was in the front row so I was definitely filmed for that, look out guys... :aah:

I have never been to such an incredible show. Like it not just because I love Mika so much, he just put on such a great performance and the crowd echoed the energy right back. It was ecstatic. It was more than I was hoping for. 

I was a complete mixture of emotions all day, and it all came to a boiling point when Mika came to the stage door greet some of us. There were probably 100 people outside and I knew I probably wouldn't get to see him because I was nowhere near the front. I eventually manuvered myself to the second row of an area where it wasn't as congested, but it didn't seem hopeful and I understood that. I started crying because he was just like... There and a moment I couldn't even dream of happening when I was so much younger was literally like unfolding before my eyes. I also think I am a little emotionally unstable right now because I'm just struggling with mental health issues too. But that's another reason why Mika and his music mean so much to me, its helped me pull through the absolute hell I've had to go through through the years to even get to where I am today and be the person I am today. It's just something you cannot thank someone enough for. 

The fact that I was crying caught some people around me's attention (I think they were Italian, if you see this thank you! I was too much of a mess to remember that) and they successful grabbed Mika's attention and pointed at me. Mika walks up to me and asks "now, why are you crying?" And I start rambling like the crazy lady I am, I think he was a little taken aback by it but whatever, and tell him pretty much I've been a fan for a long time and I want to thank him for his music because it got me through so much and I'm sorry because you probably hear this a lot. At this point I'm sobbing, he's looking at me like he doesn't know what to say or do and thinking wow I really need new antidepressants because these don't stabilize mood at all anymore. He says something along the lines of that's very sweet and I go in for a hug and then I hear an audible "awww" from the immediate crowd around us. It was so incredible. I'm just to blessed to have had that opportunity to speak with him and tell him that because... How many people get to thank their favorite musician or someone inspiring for them? Thank you, Mika. I'm sorry if I scared you. 

Here is my Google album from the gig, please enjoy. I filmed quite a few songs that are in here too. 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/kBjF2G64cpo4UrNx6

I'm so happy you got to meet him, Cat! :hug:

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, sara09 said:

I'm so happy you got to meet him, Cat! :hug:

Thank you! I think all the warm wishes from MFC members over the years about how they hope I can go to a gig/meet Mika just built up so I could have a truly magical night. But I also think Mika is quite magical too. He just makes good things happen. Definitely all my good luck for the rest of my life was used up at once for this gig, considering how easily I could get things to work out for traveling there too when it could of been very complicated. 

Thank you, everyone. :hug: I feel so thankful and my heart is full. 

• Like 8

18 hours ago, superstar said:

Electric energy in Brooklyn tonight! Mika is so comfortable in his skin and in his songs, and he shared that with us tonight. Some thoughts in no particular order:

• In the intro, there is a recording of Mika talking all about love: how love created the universe, and lit up the sun, and how the sun created all of us with its yellow light. During this recording the band is all on stage waiting, and you don't see Mika at all, and then he just runs on all at once!
  • Red! Suit! Frilly! Shirt! CURLS!!! And Velcro Shoes????
  • Dear Jealousy was the second song he played (I think) -- beforehand, he talked for a bit about he hasn't been on tour in four years, and he is starting something new. To start something new, you have to start with new music, and this song was acknowledging something new...basically, how he is a "jealous bastard." 😂 Crowd reaction was great, it felt like everyone around me was either familiar with the song or caught on really quickly.
  • The venue itself had great sound, high ceilings, and a very wide stage that meant a lot of people could get close. Mika did a good job of walking back and forth and giving energy to every corner of the room.
  • Mika was really hamming it up, saying "this song is for my aunties..." he named all of the aunties, some of whom were here tonight, and his mother. Then he said "you'll see why I'll be getting 56 slaps in the face when you find out what song this is" -- then launched into Big Girl.
  • The gig was also RECORDED, which was at first apparent because of the team with the huge camera who walked around filming for most of the concert. Mika also mentioned the name of an accomplished sound engineer who reached out to him about turning a show on this tour into a live album. Mika was saying he's never dropped a live album before! So this was the show that's going to be mixed into an album. When we  were leaving the venue, they opened up the side door and you could see into what looked like all the sound engineers mixing right there. 
  • Setlist was almost the same as last night, with the omission of Sanremo 
  • Lots of LICM songs tonight, followed by TOOL. Plus all the new stuff! Funny, because I think those were the two albums he toured most on in the U.S. so it makes sense to stick within those tracklists. 
  • Sofia (not sure of MFC handle) gave Mika a cool jacket (I have photos below) with embroidery and patches that were relevant to the tour. He put it on and it fit perfectly! 
  • The renditions of the older songs are some of the best I've seen. Lollipop and Love Today really stand out. Lollipop, they start with a bit of a dueling pianos soundfest that resolves into what the crowd eventually recognizes as Lollipop. He had a spiel beforehand about how his mom told him to avoid the girl next door, but she didn't need to worry about the girl next door...it was the boy next door! Love Today he had the balcony and the floor wave at each other, then told us all to close our eyes and dance our hearts out because no one cares how you look. 
  • Encore was GK and a Tiny Love reprise that ended with Mika riffing off the theme of getting and staying high on a tiny love. He said "stay high!" as the last message before he went off stage. 
  • The new tracks were great, though the sound made Blue a little difficult to understand. Technically it is a very challenging song, and Mika sings most of it solo with very basic accompaniment. Very cool to see it live, and I'm looking foward to hearing it a couple more times.
  • TOMORROW is a CLASSIC already, the chorus is so catchy and cleverly timed -- it's just doing what Mika does best: clever lyrics, interesting melody, timing that's a little different. He gave us the intro, that this song is about being "15 cm" away from someone in the back of an old Mercedes Benz and making a mistake that you may or may not regret.
  • Pink is the color of sin. Especially when you grow up as a Catholic boy -- because pink is also the color of passion. He used this intro to talk about Origin of Love. This kind of comment is touching to see as a fan who has followed him for so long. He's so much more comfortable in his own skin and sexuality, and open in expressing that. One of the great joys of following Mika over the years is seeing him grow and process this part of his identity through music, and being able to process alongside him. He's come a long way.
  • Show ended around 10:30pm, Mika came out around 11:30pm to sign. There was a big crowd and he must have spent about 20 minutes talking, taking photos, and autographing with everyone. He really made his way around the crowd and took time to talk to those who were at the front. Several times during the concert, he had mentioned how he hasn't been here in four years. So it seems he's making the time to get to know his fans over here. We are lucky!

Some photos:

IMG_20190913_232546.jpg

MVIMG_20190913_222147.jpg

MVIMG_20190913_220428.jpg

IMG_20190913_215430.jpg

IMG_20190913_210402.jpg

IMG_20190913_210235.jpg

thank you so much for your detailed review, I can imagine a bit of being there!! 

As everyone has already said, I do agree that Mika was on fire last night. He always is so animated and charismatic when performing live, but he brought it up a level, as I read in an earlier post, "electric" I do agree. That is the perfect word. I hope this energized level will have him expand his Tiny Love tour into a BIG TINY tour. He can see that the North American audiences need to see more of him live (and more often than every FOUR years). Nice seeing you again Deb. Happy travels to Montreal and fingers crossed that someone posts my favourite song (or a snippet of it) Elle Me Dit which you lucky Canadians will get to hear at the next two shows. Here a few very short snippets of songs that I tried to film  

Underwater  

Grace Kelly  

Edited by Mocha
wrong links to youTube
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Corriere della Sera

15 Sept. 2019

https://www.corriere.it/spettacoli/19_settembre_14/mia-identita-mondo-c1952108-d71c-11e9-ab72-4c8b2c66efe5.shtml

L’anteprima

Mika alla conquista degli Usa : la mia identità è il mondo

A New York la presentazione del nuovo album «My Name is Michael Holbrook». Pop travolgente e storie dure tra riscoperta delle origini, libertà sessuale e addio alla tv

NEW YORK Mika brucia la sua immagine televisiva, fugge per reinventarsi e, completato il nuovo album che uscirà ai primi di ottobre, torna dopo quattro anni sul palcoscenico dei concerti partendo da New York. Dando alla sua personalissima conquista dell’America il sapore di un ritorno a casa e presentando in anteprima mondiale i brani di «My Name is Michael Holbrook».

Per l’esordio di questo minitour americano — New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Montreal e Città del Messico — Mika non ha scelto un teatro di Manhattan ma Brooklyn Steel a Williamsburg, il borgo che da anni attrae come un magnete giovani e artisti della Mela. E sono soprattutto ragazzi — americani, tanti europei, moltissimi asiatici — quelli che si entusiasmano e ballano in questo capannone industriale trasformato in arena davanti a un cantante scatenato che fa esplodere sul palco energia, irriverenza e sensualità alternando a celebri successi come «Grace Kelly», «Origin of Love» e «Happy Ending,» i brani trascinanti del nuovo disco: «Tiny Love», «Tomorrow» o l’ammiccante «Ice Cream».

Un mix di musiche gioiose e testi spesso duri: ritmi travolgenti per raccontare storie amare, memorie d’infanzia, lotte interiori per cercare e affermare la propria identità. Quella sessuale, a lungo repressa in gioventù e che ora vuole declinare nel modo più libero e trasparente possibile. Divertendosi a provocare e, addirittura, a cercare di scandalizzare il suo pubblico, ora che non si sente più frenato da vincoli, compresi quelli televisivi. Convinto che negli ultimi quindici anni la musica pop sia stata castrata, privata della sua ispirazione più sensuale, dell’energia del sesso, Mika, che si sente artista di nicchia anche se è seguito da fan adoranti in tutti i continenti, prova a scuotere questo establishment. Puntando sulla sessualità che, dice, è «sparita come provocazione sofisticata o elemento di dialogo per restare solo come fattore di sfruttamento commerciale».

Lo stile di Mika lo trovi in questa narrativa sofferta, in una voce unica nei suoi repentini cambi di tonalità e in una creatività che spazia ben oltre la musica: il design (anche di orologi, occhiali, abiti) con la sorella Jasmine, le scenografie, i video musicali. Nel backstage dello Steel, Mika si prepara aiutato da Jasmine in un andirivieni di tecnici americani, hair stylist parigini, musicisti inglesi, olandesi e neozelandesi, cameramen che girano il film del concerto live, mentre il suo compagno, Andreas Dermanis, regista greco-inglese di documentari, controlla l’editing del video di «Sanremo»: per accompagnare, nel nuovo disco, questo brano fatto di memorie di gite d’infanzia (nulla a che vedere col festival), immagini in bianco e nero girate a Fiume, in Croazia. Ricostruiscono l’immaginario di un’Italia difficile, ormai sbiadita nella memoria: quella dei «ragazzi di vita» di Pasolini.

Dopo «CasaMika», «X Factor» e sei edizioni di «The Voice» in Francia, l’artista si aggrappa a Mr Holbrook per bruciare — parole sue — l’identità televisiva degli ultimi anni: «Non la rinnego, mi ha arricchito, ma devo andare oltre, rinnovarmi. È la sfida che affronto di continuo nella mia vita, duro ed esigente con me stesso» perché obbligato a cercare sempre la perfezione.

Nell’ultimo anno e mezzo tra le case di Miami, Londra, Parigi e il suo ritiro (con sala di registrazione) in Toscana, Mika ha ritrovato creatività e libertà. Ha composto brani nei quali — affermata la sua personalità con la voce e i testi — scandaglia la sua vasta cultura musicale e sfrutta la duttilità di artista eclettico: dopo contaminazioni come quelle operistiche del passato, stavolta salta da ritmi scatenati alle sonorità rilassanti di «Sanremo» ripercorrendo gli stili di 35 anni di musica pop, da Prince a George Michael, passando per David Bowie e Freddie Mercury. «Sono andato», dice, «alla ricerca di chi avrei potuto essere. Beyoncé, Bowie e altri si sono dati un alter ego artistico. Io faccio il contrario: cerco di scoprire l’uomo dietro l’artista».

Un Michael Holbrook (vero cognome, quello del padre) che aggiunge flavour americano a un artista nato in Libano, con una madre di origine siriana, cresciuto tra Francia, Gran Bretagna e Italia. Il prototipo di un cittadino del mondo che, in tempi di risorgenti paure identitarie, rifiuta ogni ancoraggio rigido: «La mia identità è la mia creatività senza confini». Che, dopo i concerti americani e il lancio dell’album, lo porterà, da novembre, col suo «Revelation Tour», ovunque nel mondo: partenza da Londra per arrivare fino alla Corea, al Giappone e alla Cina (e di nuovo in America) passando anche per 12 concerti italiani: Milano, Torino, Roma ma anche piazze del Sud di rado battute dagli artisti come Bari e Reggio Calabria.

14 settembre 2019 (modifica il 14 settembre 2019 | 21:05)

:uk: Google translator
Spoiler

preview

Mika to conquer the US: my identity is the world
In New York the presentation of the new album "My Name is Michael Holbrook". Pop overwhelming and hard stories between rediscovery of the origins, sexual freedom and goodbye to TV

NEW YORK Mika burns his TV image, runs away to reinvent himself and, having completed the new album due out in early October, returns after four years to the stage of the concerts starting from New York. Giving his very personal conquest of America the taste of a homecoming and presenting the world premiere of the songs of «My Name is Michael Holbrook».

For the debut of this American mini-tour - New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Montreal and Mexico City - Mika did not choose a Manhattan theater but Brooklyn Steel in Williamsburg, the village that for years has attracted young people and artists like a magnet. of the Apple. And it is mainly kids - Americans, many Europeans, very many Asians - who get excited and dance in this industrial shed turned into an arena in front of a wild singer who makes energy, irreverence and sensuality explode on stage alternating with famous hits like «Grace Kelly» , "Origin of Love" and "Happy Ending," the compelling passages of the new album: "Tiny Love", "Tomorrow" or the winking "Ice Cream".

A mix of joyous music and often harsh texts: overwhelming rhythms to tell bitter stories, childhood memories, inner struggles to try and affirm one's identity. That sexual, long suppressed in youth and which now wants to decline in the most free and transparent way possible. Having fun provoking and even trying to scandalize his audience, now that he no longer feels constrained by constraints, including television ones. Convinced that in the last fifteen years pop music has been castrated, deprived of its most sensual inspiration, of the energy of sex, Mika, who feels like a niche artist even if he is followed by adoring fans on all continents, try to shake this establishment. Focusing on sexuality which, he says, has "disappeared as a sophisticated provocation or element of dialogue to remain only as a factor of commercial exploitation".

You can find Mika's style in this suffered narrative, in a unique voice in his sudden changes of tone and in a creativity that goes far beyond music: the design (also of watches, glasses, clothes) with his sister Jasmine, the scenographies , music videos. In Steel's backstage, Mika prepares himself helped by Jasmine in a comeback of American technicians, Parisian hair stylists, English, Dutch and New Zealand musicians, cameramen who shoot the live concert film, while her partner, Andreas Dermanis, Greek-English director of documentaries, check the editing of the video of «Sanremo»: to accompany, in the new album, this song made of memories of childhood outings (nothing to do with the festival), black and white images shot in Fiume, in Croatia. They reconstruct the imaginary of a difficult Italy, by now faded in memory: that of Pasolini's "boys of life".

After "CasaMika", "X Factor" and six editions of "The Voice" in France, the artist clings to Mr. Holbrook to burn - in his own words - the television identity of the last few years: "I do not deny it, it has enriched me , but I have to go further, renew myself. It is the challenge that I face continuously in my life, hard and demanding with myself "because it is obliged to always seek perfection.

In the last year and a half between the houses of Miami, London, Paris and his retreat (with recording studio) in Tuscany, Mika has rediscovered creativity and freedom. He composed pieces in which - having affirmed his personality with vocals and lyrics - he scours his vast musical culture and exploits the ductility of an eclectic artist: after contaminations like the operatic ones of the past, this time he jumps from wild rhythms to the soothing sounds of «Sanremo» retracing the styles of 35 years of pop music, from Prince to George Michael, via David Bowie and Freddie Mercury. "I went," he says, "in search of who I could have been. Beyoncé, Bowie and others have given themselves an artistic alter ego. I do the opposite: I try to discover the man behind the artist ».

A Michael Holbrook (real surname, that of his father) which adds American flavor to an artist born in Lebanon, with a mother of Syrian origin, raised between France, Great Britain and Italy. The prototype of a citizen of the world who, in times of resurgent identity fears, refuses any rigid anchorage: "My identity is my creativity without borders". That, after the American concerts and the launch of the album, will take him, from November, with his «Revelation Tour», everywhere in the world: departure from London to reach Korea, Japan and China (and again in America ) also passing through 12 Italian concerts: Milan, Turin, Rome but also squares of the South rarely beaten by artists such as Bari and Reggio Calabria.

img.thumb.png.dd303a29f116208f639d75674e326409.png

Brooklyn_Steel_2.jpg.0b644355eb84d367eb083d9865fb294a.jpg

Brooklyn_Steel_1.thumb.jpg.a1a17162cfefcb008ccb793e8abf8ed9.jpg

MP4

Edited by Kumazzz
  • Thanks 2

Friday was round 2! Compared to Thursday, the queue grew much earlier, since this was the first date announced and also Friday. Again, it was fun to chat with everyone in line and meet people who were at their first concert and those who had seen Mika many times!

Since the spotlights were so severe behind centerstage last night we chose a spot on the left side, near the piano. It was easier to see him from this angle although the lights were still very strong.

To me, Friday night was even better than Thursday (although I know some disagree). Mika always brings so much energy when he performs, but tonight was another level. I think it was because of the recordings and I am so glad everyone will get to experience the magic of this show through that!! The crowd was also bigger because it was sold out, and the energy was incredible. 

Having heard the new songs once already last night, I was dancing and singing along tonight and I think I liked them even more!

The crowd waiting outside after the show was much bigger tonight. Kira and I were about to go home because I had an early flight, but before we could leave, Mika came out around 11:25. Even after the incident last night, he was still so kind and patient, signing autographs and taking pictures with so many people. What a lovely soul. 

I'm getting a few days off now, can't wait to hear about Montreal from those who are going! And I will hopefully see some of you in San Francisco and LA :). 

IMG_20190913_212427.jpg

IMG_20190913_212806.jpg

IMG_20190913_213745.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Pictures from the se one day we’re more difficult to be taken because of the lights for the filming 

but really curious about this project! 

The audience was louder than the first day, Mika seemed to enjoy it a lot 😃 

Another thing that I love about traveling for Mika gigs is talking to other fans from different countries, it was lovely to meet you ❤️

C57DCFF3-0942-47E3-AEFD-18011C83E670.jpeg

5ACCA449-C5D7-43B9-9ED5-B19EAF9EA0F6.jpeg

B116054F-D66C-4060-9487-36135A4DAE62.jpeg

4F2A9954-9D29-4576-8F7D-B6294DE420F7.jpeg

8D421E7F-E795-4C9A-9038-6873A3B392E6.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I'm so happy Andy will check the editing of Sanremo video :wub2:

Staring at the sun is my fav video for two reasons: because I love the seaside and it was a dream of mine to see him and the sea in that video and also because I feel it was shot with love. So Sanremo video will be a very special too for many reasons :wub2: Also because it will open minds to the fact that all loves are beautiful. For that same reason I was really happy about Make you happy video. I'm very much looking forward to it...it might be sad though...same sex love can still be complicated nowadays (depending on where you live impossible unless if you hide) but in the 60's in Italy it was certainly not easy either....

• Like 3

I sure would love a full video from Underwater from this night!

It seems I've only filmed the songs that I either don't know or don't like as well -- hence, I have no Underwater. Help!

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...