Mika in Asian Press 2019 - 2020

Kumazzz

On 14 October in Rome, Mika says

Yesterday I did all the promotion of Japan. And he says for Japan,  the questions are more intellectual with a translator and four people on the phone. (And Mika says he was speaking in English)

:japan:

11 hours ago, Kumazzz said:

42 minutes ago, crazyaboutmika said:

Mika says:  Yesterday I did all the promotion of Japan. And he says for Japan,  the questions are more intellectual with a translator and four people on the phone. (And Mika says he was speaking in English) @Kumazzz

• Like 2

ALBUM REVIEW

Billboard Japan

http://www.billboard-japan.com/d_news/detail/80855/2

『マイ・ネーム・イズ・マイケル・ホルブルック』MIKA(Album Review)

本家 一成

グラフィック・デザイナーやモデル業もこなす、UKならではのスタイリッシュさを地でいくイケメン・シンガーソングライター、MIKA(ミーカ)。2007年発表の処女作『ライフ・イン・カートゥーン・モーション』は、イギリスで1位を記録した他ヨーロッパ各国でTOP10入りしたのも頷ける、文句のつけどころがない完璧なポップ・アルバムだった。

1stの商業的な成功を超えることはできなかったが、その後リリースした3枚のアルバムもクオリティは高い。3作目の『ジ・オリジン・オブ・ラヴ』(2012年)は、フロア向けのダンス・トラックが主だったせいか賛否が分かれたが(個人的には良かった)、原点のサウンドに回帰した『ノー・プレイス・イン・ヘヴン』(2015年)では“らしさ”も取り戻し、セールス的にも回復の兆しをみせた。

本作『マイ・ネーム・イズ・マイケル・ホルブルック』 は、その前作から4年ぶり、通算5枚目のスタジオ・アルバム。様々な感情を表現したというコンセプトを基に制作したそうで、カバー・アートもモノクロの顔を中心に、虎や虹、日本画風のアートなど、様々な感情が溢れ出した仕上がりになっている。さすが英ロンドン在住のアーティスト……と、言わざるを得ない凄み。

5月にリリースした1stシングル「アイスクリーム」は、ビートの刻み方やコーラスワークがプリンスまんまの、ミネアポリス風ファンク・ポップ。ファルセットと地声を巧みに使い分けた官能的なボーカルは、自身が敬愛している故ジョージ・マイケルの「アイ・ウォント・ユア・セックス」(1987年)あたりを彷彿させる。時代をタイムスリップした夏らしいミュージック・ビデオも、レトロ感満載でよかった。赤のサテンシャツでクネクネ踊る仕草なんて、もう……。

その流れを引き継いだ4thシングル「ディア・ジェラシー」も、彼等が絶頂期に生み出したサウンド・プロダクションを下敷きにしている。もっとも、ジョージを参考にしていると本人が公言しているワケだから、どの曲においてもそう感じるのは必然といえるんだけど。この曲には、エド・シーラン等を手掛けるUKの女性シンガーソングライター、エイミー・ワッジも制作に参加している。

マリンバとシンセを響かせるディスコ・ステップの「サンレモ」も、80年代的アプローチを感じさせる。タイトな音を綿密に組み立てていくライティング・センスには、ただ脱帽。古い映画のような造りのモノクロ・ビデオでは、自身のセクシャルを表現した一面も垣間見えた。同調の曲では、レイニーあたりの音に近いスペイシーなエレクトロ・ポップ「クライ」も良かった。「クライ」は、英ロンドンを拠点とするソングライター=マーク・クルー(バスティル、カルヴィン・ハリス等)との共作。

8月発表の2ndシングル「タイニー・ラヴ」は、ピアノの伴奏で静かに幕を開け、リズミカルなバロック・ポップ風のヴァースから再び弾き語りの静かなアウトロで幕を閉じる、アーティスティックな一曲。サウンドのみならず、ミュージック・ビデオもより芸術的な内容を追求すべく、ショート・フィルムのような仕上がりとなった。同ビデオを手掛けたのは、エリー・ゴールディングやディスクロージャーを手掛けたW.I.Zというアーティスト。この曲を全編オーケストラ風に仕上げた、ラストの「タイニー・ラヴ・リプリーズ」では、子供たちのコーラス効果も相まって感涙にむせぶ。

アルバムのリリース直前に発表した「トゥモロウ」は、タイトルや歌詞の世界観をそのまま音にしたようなブリティッシュ・ポップ。突き抜けるようなファルセットが何とも心地よく、本作中最もミーカの歌唱力が活かされた曲といえる。これだけ繊細に歌う曲もあれば、ファンキー且つエキサイティングな「ステイ・ハイ」や、時にラップのようなフレーズも登場するハジけるロック・ポップ「プラットフォーム・バレリーナス」もあるから面白い(終盤のゴージャスなコーラスも最高!)。

「レディ・トゥ・コール・ディス・ラヴ」は、英ロンドン出身のフォーク・シンガー=ジャック・セイボレッティとのデュエット曲。ミーカのフェミニンなボーカルと、ジャックの男気溢れるテノールが高低差を生み出し、曲の持ち味を引き立たせる。メロウ・チューンでは、ピアノの弾き語りをする様子が目に浮かぶ「パロマ」や、感情的にシャウトする60年代風ロック・バラード「アイ・ウェント・トゥ・ヘル・ラスト・ナイト」~ファルセットが曲の大半を占める「ブルー」も傑作。

本名=マイケル・ホルブルックを冠した本作は、音楽性やボーカル、歌詞の世界観含め、前4作以上に自分らしい音楽を追求し、解き放たれたアルバム。かといって、これまでのアルバムを愛聴していたリスナーにも違和感をもたせず、マンネリ化も与えない。プリンスの過去作同様に、数十年経っても蠱惑的であり続けるのでは?

:uk: Google translator

Spoiler

MIKA is a handsome singer / songwriter who works as a graphic designers and model, and is stylish in the UK. The first album “Life in Cartoon Motion” released in 2007 was a perfect pop album that was indispensable, making it the top 10 in the UK and other top 10 European countries.

The first commercial success could not be exceeded, but the three albums released since then have high quality. The third work, The Origin of Love (2012), was divided into pros and cons because it was mainly a dance track for the floor (individually good), but returned to the original sound. The “No Place in Heaven” (2015) regained its “likeness” and showed signs of recovery in terms of sales.

This album “ My Name is Michael Holbrook ” is the fifth studio album for the first time in four years. It seems that it was created based on the concept of expressing various emotions, and the cover art is a work that overflows with various emotions such as tigers, rainbows, and Japanese-style art, with a monochrome face at the center. As expected, an artist living in London, England ...

The 1st single “Ice Cream” released in May is a Minneapolis-style funk-pop that features Prince as a way to cut beats and chorus work. The sensual vocal skillfully used between the falsetto and the real voice is reminiscent of the late George Michael's “I Want Your Sex” (1987) that he loves. The summer-like music video that slipped back in time was full of retro feeling. The gesture of dancing with a red satin shirt is already ...

The 4th single “Deer Jealousy” that took over the trend is also based on the sound production that they created at the peak. However, it is inevitable that I feel it in any song because the person himself professed to be referring to George. Amy Wadge, a UK female singer-songwriter who works with Ed Sheeran and others, also participates in the production.

“Sanremo,” a disco step that resonates marimba and synths, feels like an 80s approach. For a lighting sense that assembles tight sounds closely, just take off your hat. In the black-and-white video, which looks like an old movie, I could get a glimpse of one side that expressed my sexuality. In the tune of the tune, the spacey electro pop "cry" close to the sound per laney was also good. “Cry” is a collaboration with London-based songwriter Mark Crew (Bastille, Calvin Harris, etc.).

”The 2nd single“ Tiny Love ”released in August is an artistic song that quietly opens with a piano accompaniment and closes again with a quiet outro from a rhythmic baroque pop-like verse. Not only the sound but also the music video was finished like a short film in order to pursue more artistic content. The video was produced by an artist named W.I.Z who worked on Ellie Golding and disclosure. The final “Tiny Love Reprise”, which finished this song in an orchestral style, is filled with tears, combined with the chorus effect of the children.

“Tomorrow” announced just before the release of the album is a British pop that sounds just like the world of the title and lyrics. The piercing falsetto is very comfortable, and it can be said that Mika's singing ability is utilized most in this work. There are songs that sing as delicately as this, and there are also funky and exciting “Stay High” and a rock pop “Platform Ballerinas” that sometimes includes rap-like phrases (the gorgeous chorus at the end) Is also great!).

"Lady to call this love" is a duet song with folk singer-Jack Savoretti from London. Mika's feminine vocals and Jack's masculine tenor create a difference in height, making the song stand out. At Mellow Tune, “Paloma”, where you can see the piano playing, and the emotional shout 60s-style rock ballad “I Went to Hell Last Night” – falsetto "Blue" that occupies is a masterpiece.

This title, with Michael Holbrook as his real name, is an album released in pursuit of personal music over the previous four works, including musicality, vocals, and the world view of lyrics. However, listeners who have been fond of the album so far will not feel uncomfortable, and will not be reckless. Like Prince's past work, will it continue to be fascinating after decades?

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

An interview from Japan

U Discover Music.jp

MIKAインタビュー:最新アルバムとそこにつけられた本名の意味や家族、そして椎名林檎とJ-POPまで
  • Published on Feb.16, 2020

2019年10月に発売されたMIKAの4年ぶり5枚目となるスタジオ・アルバム『My Name Is Michael Holbrook』。自身の本名である「マイケル・ホルブルック・ペンニマン・ジュニア」からつけたこのアルバムの制作について、そして彼の家族との関係性から、2018年に参加した椎名林檎のトリビュート・アルバムについてを語ったインタビューを掲載します。

―新作『My Name Is Michael Holbrook』は4年ぶりのアルバムですね。少し時間が空きましたが、どんな事情があったんですか? 完成までに苦労があったんでしょうか?

MIKA:いや、苦労があったというわけじゃないんです。実情はその全く逆で、ただ単に、スタートして軌道に乗るまで、少々時間を要したというだけで。というのも当初の僕は、次のアルバムで自分がどんな曲を書くべきなのか見極められずにいました。実際、1年くらい全く曲作りをしていなくて、自分から書こうという努力もしなかった。フェイクなものを書きたくなかったし、この期に及んでロサンゼルスに行って、20人くらいのソングライターたちと組んで、無理やり曲を絞り出したいとも思わなかった。僕はただ、書くべきことが自然に見つかるまで、自分の人生に何かが起きるのを待とうと決めたんです。

実際に題材になる体験を色々して、一旦アルバム制作に着手すると、状況は一変しました。だから曲作りのプロセスは全く苦労を伴わないませんでした。苦労を伴ったのは人生のほうで、それはごくパーソナルな理由からなんですが。むしろ曲作りは簡単でした。それどころか、僕の人生において曲作りは従来以上に重要なものになって、僕を癒してくれたんです。だから困難なプロセスではなくて、非常に濃密なプロセスだったと言うべきですね。

それと同時に、アーティストとしての自分自身に大いに責任を感じてもいました。何しろデビューしてから10年以上を経ているわけで、何としても、ものすごく僕らしいアルバムを作らなければと強く意識していたんです。商業的なプレッシャーがあったという意味ではなくて、アーティスティックな意味で、可能な限り誠実なアルバムを作る必要性をヒシヒシと感じていました。それを成し遂げない限り、自分はクリエイティヴな壁に直面するだろうという予感がしていて、このアルバムが自分にとっていかに大切な作品か、いやというほど分かっていたんです。

―興味深いことに、今回は先にタイトルがあったそうですね

MIKA:はい、僕は結局、インスピレーションを求めて旅に出たんです。僕は幼い頃から母の勧めで専門的な教育を受けてきて、僕みたいな仕事をしている多くの人、同じような世界に身を置いている多くの人が、きっと似た環境で育ったんだと思いますが、僕の場合はそれはクラシック音楽で、7歳の時に勉強し始めて、母は1日3時間にわたってレッスンをしてくれました。だから彼女の存在は僕の人生においてものすごく重要な位置を占めているんです。その一方で父は言わば、非常に控えめな人でした。今も相変わらず控えめなんだけど。だから僕はマイケル・ホルブルック・ペンニマン・ジュニアという父と同じ名前を与えられているのに、父自身についてあまり詳しく知らなかった。彼の生い立ちや、家族関係について無知だったんです。そこで、父について知識を深めようと、ひとつの決断を下したんです。

ある日、車に乗り込んで、フロリダにある僕のホーム・スタジオから、ジョージア州の町サバンナを目指し、北に車を走らせた。父の家族はサバンナの出身なんです。そして、サバンナに辿り着いた僕は父方の家族が埋葬されている墓地を見つけたんですが、その一区域はペンニマン家の人々のお墓に占められていて、墓碑をひとつひとつ見ていたら、自分と同じ名前に行き当たりました。“マイケル・ホルブルック”って。父の家族には昔から代々マイケル・ホルブルックと名乗る人がいたんです。とにかくその墓碑を見て僕は衝撃を受けました。「なんてことだ、僕と全く同じ名前の人がここに眠っているってことじゃないか!」って。

僕は自分が何者なのか、すっかり知り尽くしている気分でいたけど、実は全く知らないんじゃないかって気付いたんです、まだ知らないことがたくさんあるじゃないかって。それで俄然好奇心をかき立てられて、今こそ自分の出自について知識を深めて、自分が何者なのか改めてより深く知るために、これまでになく親密な自分自身に迫るアルバムを作らなければと思ったんです。創作活動を続行し、これからも変化し続けて、人間としての成長の旅を続けるために。

―実際、あなたは我々にとってこの10年間、ポップスターのMIKAであり続けてきたので、本名を耳にすると、別人のように感じてしまいます。

MIKA:まさにそこが気に入っているんです。僕自身、マイケル・ホルブルック・ペンニマン・ジュニアという名前に違和感を抱くし、自分の本名が嫌いなんです。だからこそタイトルとして敢えてこの名前を提示することは、ひとつの挑発になる。何しろ、僕はこの世に誕生して1時間後には、“MIKA”って呼ばれていたんです。母がそう決めたんです。だから僕は間違いなくMIKAなんだけど、マイケル・ホルブルックも僕の一部分であり、ふたつが醸すテンションというか、そのせめぎ合いや自分の中に引き起こす葛藤が、僕にとってすごく重要なんです。そこに目を向けることで、自分自身が何者なのか再検証できる。それと同時に、自分の名前を取り戻すこともできるというか。僕は、小さなアパートの部屋で曲を書いていた18歳のMIKAを取り戻したかったんだと思うんです。あの時の自分となんとかして交信して、当時の気持ちに立ち返ってこのアルバムを作りたかったんです。

―では、このアルバムを作る前と作ったあとのあなたは、どういう点で異なるのでしょう?

MIKA:見失っていた本来の自分を取り戻せたんだと思います。しかも最強の状態で。僕は本来の自分を取り戻し、エモーショナルであると共に喜びに満ちたアルバムを作り上げた。そこには深く沈思する瞬間もあれば、躍動感溢れる瞬間もあります。そして僕は、これまで正面から向き合うのを恐れていた自分の家族のひとつの側面を、受け入れることができました。それまで心の中でずっと避けていたけど、アルバムを通じて曲に綴ることで、敢えて公の形で向き合うことにしたんです。プライベートな部分に秘めていたことを人目にさらすなんて、クレイジーに聴こえるかもしれないけど、それを実践するのは僕にとって本当に重要なことでした。独りで向き合うより、曲に書いて白日の下にさらけ出すほうが、実はよっぽど簡単なんです。

―でもあなたは本作を、父親ではなく母親に捧げていますよね。それはなぜですか?

MIKA:自分が父と共有する名前を使ってアルバムを作るというアイデアを思い付いて、最初の1曲を書き終えた日に、本当に偶然なんですが、母が病気になってしまったんです、深刻な病気でした。その後どんどん病状は悪化していって、今現在もものすごく苦しんでいます。だからこそ、僕はその苦しみや悲しみを、何かしら美しいもの、何かしら詩的な表現に転化したいと考えるようになったんです、苦しみの向こうに光や美が生まれるようにと願って。それはもちろん僕自身のこだわりであって、僕の家族と母以外の人たちには関係のないことですが、僕にとって、母にとって、これ以上に大切なことはなかったから構わなかった。母は僕にとって錨のような存在なんです。1年前まで僕の活動に深く関わって、そばで支えてくれていました。そういう風にずっと陰に隠れていたひとりの女性に、僕の人生と僕の仕事の陰に隠れていた彼女に、ここで光を当ててあげたかったんです。そうするだけの価値があるから。

―ほかにもお姉さんに捧げた曲「Paloma」がありますし、「Tiny Love Reprise」にはそのお姉さんのパロマとお母さんがゲスト・ヴォーカルで参加していますし、あなたの全家族に関するアルバムなんですね。

MIKA:というよりも、あくまで僕に関するアルバム、僕が愛する人たちと僕自身に関するアルバムですね。ひとりの人物を真の意味で理解するには、その人物が愛する人たちをも理解する必要がある。だからこそ、僕が愛する人たちのことを、彼らのストーリーを伝えることが、ものすごく重要だと思うんです。究極的には、僕にとってほかのことなんかどうでもいい、全てをはぎ取ったあとに残るのは、自分が愛する人たちだけだから。でも僕はそれを、哀しみをもって表現してはいません。メランコリックな表現もしていない。危険なほどにパーソナルで危険なほどにオープンなストーリーテリングと、この上なく不遜なアティチュードと、溢れんばかりの喜びをもって表現しています。これらのエモーションが変容していくプロセスに、このアルバムの力強さがあるんだと思います。これらのエモーションは、センチメンタルにはなりませんでした。逆に、パワフルに転化されているんです。そして燃え盛っていて、聴く人は涙することもあるだろうし、踊らせることだってできるんです。

―だからこのアルバムを満たすサウンドにはぬくもりがあって、カラフルで、生き生きしているんですね。

MIKA:その通り! 重要なのはコントラストでした。そういう矛盾が備わっているんです。なぜって、人生はコントラストの連続ですから。人生は激しいアップダウンを繰り返すわけで、いかにしてそれを乗り越えて生き延びるかということが問われます。間違いなくそういうサバイバルにまつわるアルバムなんです。

―ヴィンテージ・シンセの音色も相俟って、ある種の甘い、地中海的なフィーリングがあるように感じました。曲作りはマイアミとトスカーナで行なったとのことですが、そういう温暖な環境の影響なんでしょうか?

MIKA:それもやっぱり苦しみに起因してます。苦しみと悲しみから生まれたものであり、ソングライティングとアルバム制作が、一種の薬になるようにとの願いを込めたんです。

―傷口に塗る膏薬みたいなものですね。

MIKA:まさにそうですね(笑)。

―ところで、昨年あなたは椎名林檎のトリビュート・アルバム『アダムとイヴの林檎』に参加しましたよね。日本人アーティストの作品をカヴァーするというのはどんな体験でしたか?

MIKA:オー・マイ・ゴッド、僕は彼女が大好きなんです! 素晴らしいと思います。一筋縄ではいかないアーティストですよね。彼女が作る曲は複雑だし、歌手としてハードルが高い。だからこそ僕は単純にカヴァーするのではなく、別の言語に完全に置き換えることにしました。そうすることで、さらに面白くなると思ったんです。しかも、英語よりフランス語のほうが適していると感じてて、そして「シドと白昼夢」という曲が含む遊び心には、1960年代の実験的な音楽を想起させる部分があって、そういうスタイルで再解釈することにしました。彼女のトリビュート・アルバムに参加できるなんて名誉なことだし、うれしかった。

そもそも僕がどれだけJ-POPを愛しているかってことは、秘密でもなんでもないですよね(笑)。その昔、『カウボーイビーバップ』のサントラなんかを手掛けた菅野よう子に夢中になって、それ以来J-POPの複雑で飽和したサウンドに惚れ込んでしまいました。でも、そんな洗練された音楽であるJ-POPのどこが特に好きかって言うと、その折衷性なんです。J-POPの核の部分には一種の好奇心と折衷性があって、だからこそ僕は惹かれるんだと思います。

―最後に日本のファンへメッセージをお願いします。

MIKA:まずは、忍耐強く待ってくれたことにお礼を言っておかないと(笑)。今更ながら気付いたんですが、ポップ・ミュージックの世界においてアルバムとアルバムの間に4年半も空けるなんて、とんでもなく長い時間ですからね。でもそれだけの空白が生まれてしまったのは、僕という人間をよりたっぷりと見せるアルバムを携えてカムバックするため、みんなにかつてないほど、自分の多くを差し出すためでした。音楽はもちろん、ミュージック・ビデオやライヴ・パフォーマンスからも、それが伝わると思っています。だから次に日本に行く時には、来年(2020年)になると思いますが、みんなに新しいタイプのこれまで以上に親しみやすくて力強い、僕のパーソナルなエネルギーを感じてもらえるんじゃないかなと思います。そのエネルギーを使って、みんなといっそう緊密な関係を築き上げることになるはずです。そんなわけで、今回で僕が自分がやりたいことを成し遂げるためには、これだけの時間が必要だったと分かって欲しいです。お互いにとって最高の結果に辿り着くと思ったからこそ、時間をかけたんです。

Spoiler

MIKA interview: The latest album, the meaning and family of the real name attached to it, and even Seena Ringo and J-POP

MIKA's fifth studio album “My Name Is Michael Holbrook”, released in October 2019, is the fifth album in four years. An interview about the production of this album from his real name, `` Michael Holbrook Penniman Jr., '' and his relationship with his family, about the tribute album of Ringo Shiina who participated in 2018. Will be posted.

-

Your new album "My Name Is Michael Holbrook" is your first album in four years. I had a little time, but what happened? Did you have any difficulties before completing?

MIKA: No, I didn't have any difficulties. The situation is exactly the opposite, just because it took a little time to get started and get going. At first, I couldn't figure out what song to write for the next album. In fact, I haven't been writing songs for about a year, and I haven't made any effort to write my own. I didn't want to write fake stuff, and I didn't want to go to Los Angeles during this period and work with about 20 songwriters to force out songs. I just decided to wait for something to happen in my life until I could find something to write naturally.

Once we started working on the album with a variety of experiences that actually became the subject, the situation changed completely. So the song-writing process didn't have any difficulties. The hard part came in my life, for very personal reasons. Rather, writing songs was easy. On the contrary, songwriting became more important in my life and healed me. So it should be said that it was not a difficult process but a very dense one.

At the same time, I felt very responsible for myself as an artist. It's been more than 10 years since my debut, and I was keenly aware that I had to make a very personal album. I felt the need to make the album as honest as possible, not in the sense of commercial pressure, but in an artistic sense. I knew I would face creative walls unless I did that, and I knew how important this album would be to me.

-Interestingly, it seems that there was a title earlier this time

MIKA: Yes, I ended up traveling for inspiration. I have been receiving specialized education at my mother's recommendation since I was a child, and many people who work like me, and who are in the same world, are sure to be in similar environments I think I grew up, but in my case it was classical music and I started studying at the age of seven and my mother gave me lessons for three hours a day. That's why her presence is so important in my life. On the other hand, my father was a very modest person. I'm still modest as ever. So although I was given the same name as Michael Holbrook Penniman Jr., I didn't know much about myself. I was ignorant of his background and family relationships. So I made a decision to learn more about my father.

One day, I got into a car and drove north from my home studio in Florida to Savannah, a Georgia town. My father's family is from Savannah. When I arrived at Savannah, I found a cemetery where my father's family was buried, and an area was occupied by the tombs of the Pennimans. I came across the same name. "Michael Holbrook". My father's family has always been called Michael Holbrook for generations. Anyway, I was shocked to see the tombstone. "That's what a person with exactly the same name as me is sleeping here!"

I felt like I knew exactly who I was, but I realized I didn't know it at all, there were a lot of things I didn't know. I was so intrigued by my curiosity that I wanted to create an album that approached myself more than ever before, so that I could learn more about my origins and get a deeper understanding of who I am. is. To continue our creative activities and to continue to change and continue our journey of human growth.

-In fact, you have been a pop star MIKA for us for the past 10 years, so when you hear your real name, you feel like a different person.

MIKA: I really like that. I myself feel uncomfortable with the name Michael Holbrook Penniman Jr. and hate my real name. Therefore, dare to present this name as a title is a provocation. After all, one hour after I was born in this world, I was called “MIKA”. My mother decided so. That's why I'm definitely MIKA, but Michael Holbrook is also a part of me, and the tension between them, the conflict between them and the conflicts that arise in myself, is very important to me. By looking at it, you can re-examine who you are. At the same time, can you regain your name? I think I wanted to regain the 18-year-old MIKA who was writing songs in a small apartment room. I wanted to communicate with myself at that time and get back to the feelings of that time and make this album.

-So how do you differ before and after making this album?

MIKA: I think I was able to regain my original self that I had lost. And in the strongest condition. I regained myself and created an album that was both emotional and joyful. There are moments of deep depression and moments of dynamism. And I was able to embrace one aspect of my family, which I was afraid of facing from the front. Until then I had avoided it in my mind, but I decided to face it in a public form by spelling it through the album. It might sound crazy to expose what you had in the private area, but it was really important to me. It's actually easier to write songs and expose them under the sun than to face alone.

-But you dedicate this work to your mother, not your father?  Why?

MIKA: On the day I finished writing the first song, I came up with the idea of making an album using the name I shared with my father, and it was really accidental that my mother got sick, serious I was sick. Since then, his condition has been getting worse and he is still suffering. That's why I came to want to turn that suffering or sadness into something beautiful, something poetic, wishing for light and beauty to be born beyond suffering. It's of course my own commitment and it has nothing to do with my family and people other than my mother, but I didn't care because there was nothing more important to my mother. My mother is like an anchor for me. Until a year ago I was deeply involved in my activities and supported me by my side. I wanted to shine a light here on a woman who was hiding behind my life and my work, and behind her. It's worth it.

―There is another song dedicated to your sister, “Paloma”, and “Tiny Love Reprise” has your sister's Paloma and mother on guest vocals, and it's an album about your whole family. .

MIKA: Rather, it's an album about me, an album about my loved ones and myself. To truly understand a person, you also need to understand the people they love. That's why it's so important to tell their stories about the people I love. Ultimately, I don't care about anything else, because after stripping everything, only my loved ones remain. But I don't express it with sorrow. There is no melancholic expression. It expresses with dangerously personal and dangerously open storytelling, unparalleled attitude and overflowing joy. I think the process of transforming these emotions is the strength of this album. These emotions did not become sentimental. On the contrary, it is powerfully converted. And it's burning, the listeners may cry, and they can even dance.

-So the sounds that fill this album are warm, colorful and lively.

MIKA: That's right! The important thing was the contrast. There is such a contradiction. Because life is a series of contrasts. Life repeats intense ups and downs, and the question is how to survive and survive. It's definitely an album about survival.

-I felt there was some sweet, Mediterranean feel, combined with the sound of vintage synths. You wrote the songs in Miami and Tuscany. Is that because of the warm environment?

MIKA: That's because of suffering. It was born from suffering and sorrow, with the hope that songwriting and album production would be a kind of medicine.

―It's like a plaster applied to a wound.

MIKA: That's right (laughs).

-By the way, last year, you participated in Sheena Ringo's tribute album, "Adam and Eve's Apple". What was the experience of covering the work of a Japanese artist?

MIKA: Oh my God, I love her! I think it's wonderful. You're an artist who can't just do it. The songs she creates are complex and hurdles high as a singer. That's why I decided not to simply cover, but to completely replace it with another language. I thought it would be even more interesting. What's more, I feel French is more suitable than English, and the song "Sid and Daydream" has a playfulness that reminds me of the experimental music of the 1960s, and reinterprets in that style I decided to. It was an honor and a pleasure to be on her tribute album.

In the first place, how much I love J-POP is nothing secret or anything (laughs). A long time ago, I was hooked on Yoko Kanno, who wrote the soundtrack for Cowboy Bebop, and since then I've fallen in love with the complex and saturated sound of J-POP. But what I particularly like about such sophisticated music, J-POP, is its eclecticity. At the core of J-POP is a kind of curiosity and eclecticness, which is why I am attracted.

-Finally, please give a message to Japanese fans.

MIKA: First of all, I need to thank the patient for waiting patiently (laughs). I just noticed that now,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

:south-korea:

Zenith News.com

[Z인터뷰]
4년 만에 돌아온 미카 "잘 노는 한국 팬들, 다시 만날 수 있어 감사하다"

[제니스뉴스=오지은 기자]

“지금까지 한국에서 경험한 6번의 공연은 정말 특별했다. 관중이 갖고 있는 따뜻함과 떼창하는 그 열정, 공연 때마다 준비한 서프라이즈 이벤트까지, 공연하기에 매우 특별한 나라다. 한국 팬분들과 함께할 수 있다는 게 정말 감사하다”

팬들 사이에서 일명 ‘김믹하’로 불리는 퍼포먼스의 천재, 가수 미카(Mika)가 4년 만에 다시 한국을 찾는다. 탁월한 음악성과 카리스마 넘치는 무대 매너는 물론, 유쾌하고 따뜻한 소통으로 완성도 높은 무대를 선사해온 미카의 이번 공연은 월드 투어 ‘레벨레이션(Rebelation)’의 일환으로, 오랜만에 한국 팬들과 만나는 자리여서 더욱 큰 기대를 모으고 있다.

오는 3월 4일과 5일 양일간 서울 잠실 실내체육관에서 4년 만의 내한 공연을 펼칠 미카는 ‘그레이스 켈리(Grace Kelly)’, ‘해피 엔딩(Happy Ending)’, ‘빅 걸(Big Girl)’, ‘위 아 골든(We Are Golden)’ 등 귀에 익숙한 히트곡과 최근 앨범 수록곡이 포함된 역대급 공연으로 기다린 팬들에게 보답할 예정이다.

무대 위에서 더욱 빛을 발하는 미카는 그동안 ‘제2의 프레디 머큐리’라는 찬사를 들으며 전 세계 팬들의 사랑을 받았다. 미카의 내한 공연에 많은 팬들의 관심이 모이는 가운데, 미카와 제니스뉴스가 서면 인터뷰를 진행했다. 한국에 대한 여전히 뜨거운 애정을 보여준 미카의 이야기를 이 자리에 전한다.

Q. 4년 만의 내한이다. 오랜만에 한국을 찾은 소감이 궁금하다.
한국 팬들이 갖고 있는 후하고 베푸는 마음이 저에게는 정말 특별하다. 감정선이 롤러코스터 타는 것처럼 왔다 갔다 하는 게 공연의 매력이라는 것을 한국 팬들은 아는 것 같다. 공연하는 두 시간만큼은 현실에서 벗어난다. 공연을 대하는 자세와 이해가 저와 관객분들이 갖고 있는 벽들을 허무는 듯하다. 공연 이후 저희는 더욱 섬세해지고 성장한다. 그건 정말 최고의 기분이다. 이런 감정을 다시 느낄 수 있다는 게 정말 감사하다.

Q. 7번째 내한이다. 그동안 한국에 대한 남다른 애정을 보여줬는데, 미카에게 한국은 어떤 의미인가?
설레는 곳이다. 제가 한국에서 경험한 6번의 공연은 정말 특출났다. 저뿐만 아니라 제 밴드에게도 마찬가지다. 관중이 갖고 있는 따뜻함과 떼창하는 그 열정, 공연 때마다 준비한 서프라이즈 이벤트까지, 공연하기에 매우 특별한 곳이라고 생각한다. 특히 이번에는 원 쇼도 아니고 투 쇼로 이렇게 팬분들과 함께 할 수 있다는 게 감사하다.

Q. 최근 퀸, 칼리드 등 여러 해외 아티스트들이 한국을 찾고 있는데, 그 이유가 뭐라고 생각하는지?
한국 팬들은 믿음이 있고 따스함이 많다. 작은 디테일도 알아보고 호응해 준다. 또 공연에서는 미친 듯이 잘 논다. 손에 꼽히는 놀라운 관객이라고 생각한다.

Q. 이번 내한 공연은 폭발적인 관심을 얻었다. 티켓은 오픈 직후 매진을 기록했고, 추가 공연까지 확정 지었다. 
먼저 감사하다는 말씀을 드리고 싶다. 한국 팬분들이 갖고 있는 헌신은 제 마음을 정말 따뜻하게 만든다. 첫째 날과 둘째 날 에너지를 다루는 방식을 다르게 쓸 거다. 격렬하고도 재미있는 쇼가 될 거라 장담한다. 이런 순간들이 제 커리어를 더욱 특별하게 만든다. 얼마 안 남았는데 빨리 만나고 싶다.

Q. 내한 기간 동안 꼭 해보고 싶은 게 있다면?
많은 것들을 해보고 싶은데, 제가 있는 동안 몇 번의 모험을 영상으로 촬영하고 싶다. 새로운 여행이나 음악에 관한 미니시리즈에 일부가 될 거다. 물론 만족감은 덤이다. 지난 방문 때 푸짐하고 따뜻한 인사까지 경험했다. 제게 한국이 왜 다른 나라들보다 더 특별하다고 생각되는지 알 수 있었다. 이번에는 이런 문화들을 더 즐기다 갈 거다.

Q. 매번 유니크한 무대를 보여주고 있는데, 이번에는 어떤 퍼포먼스를 보여줄지 궁금하다. 
이번 공연은 색깔에 대해 말한다. 몇 가지 챕터로 이뤄져 있고, 각 색깔과 감정은 의미가 있다. 또 이번 공연에는 제 가족에 대한 이야기가 있는데, 부모님이 어떻게 만났는지부터 시작한다. 특히 저희 부모님의 큰 사진이 무대에 설치될 예정이다. 이런 디테일을 통해 팝과 개인적인 느낌을 동시에 담으려고 했다. 사실 팝 가수들의 공연에서 이런 조화는 흔하지 않다. 제 누나와 저는 세트와 일러스트를 진행했고, 제 여동생 팔로마는 코스튬 디자인을 진행했다. 저희는 가족이자 팀이다. 이를 통해 개인적인 이야기를 담았고, 가족사도 담겨 있다. 또 이번 공연 때 ‘타이니 러브(Tiny Love)’를 부를 예정인데, 한국 팬분들과 부를 생각에 벌써 들뜬다. ‘타이니 러브’를 수천 명의 관객과 같이 동시에 부르면 정말 시적일 거다. 새 앨범에 수록된 ‘투모로우(Tomorrow)’ 무대도 보여드릴 예정이다.

Q. 항상 밝지만 묵직한 메시지를 전하는 곡들을 선보였는데, 곡과 퍼포먼스에 대한 영감은 어디서 받나?
저는 곡 작업을 하려면 무조건 혼자 있어야 한다. 하지만 제 아이디어는 사람들이나 카오스에 둘러싸여 있을 때에서 나온다. 전 제 삶을 두 개로 나누는데, 바쁜 삶과 완벽한 외로움으로 나눈다. 이렇게 하면 제가 더 창의적일 수 있고, 미치지 않을 수도 있다. 또 최대한 많이 걸으려고 하고, 혼자만의 시간을 보내려고 노력한다. 지난 서울 방문 때도 이틀간 도시를 혼자 돌아다녔다. 혼자 다니다 보면 더 자세한 디테일을 잡을 수 있다. 저는 스스로를 스토리텔러, 이야기꾼이라고 생각한다. 감성에서 나오는 제 이야기는 다른 것들 이전에 항상 먼저 떠오른다. 아마 제가 클래식을 공부했던 배경에서 나온 것 같다.

Q. 이번 한국 공연을 통해 기대하는 점이 있다면?
그동안 한국 팬들은 공연에서 다양한 서프라이즈 이벤트를 해줬다. 종이비행기 이벤트도 기억에 많이 남는다. 정말 대단하고 놀라웠고, 또 다른 나라의 팬 문화에 큰 영감을 줬다고 생각한다. 한국 분들은 정도 많고, 항상 저에게 착하게 대해줬다. 또 후하고 배려심도 많다. 한국의 따뜻함과 배려는 매번 저를 놀랍게 한다. 이런 점이 제가 뛰어난 퍼포먼스를 할 수 있는 원동력일 것 같다. 팬분들도 똑같은 감정을 느끼셨으면 좋겠다.

Q. 끝으로 공연 외에 계획 중인 한국 활동이 있는지 궁금하다. 
이번 한국 일정에서는 조그맣게 여행 겸 문화 다큐멘터리를 촬영할 예정이다. 투어를 다니면서 들리거나 탐험하는 부분들을 담을 거다. 서울에서 촬영할 예정인데, 갑자기 제가 튀어 나올 수도 있으니 많은 기대해주셨으면 좋겠다.

Spoiler

[Z Interview]
 Mika returns after 4 years "Good Korean fans, thank you for meeting again"

[Zenith News]
 “The six performances I've experienced in Korea so far have been so special. It's a very special country to perform, with the warmth of the crowd, the enthusiasm of the crowd, and the surprise event every time. I am very thankful that I can be with Korean fans. ”

Among the fans, singer Mika, a performance genius known as “Kim Mik-ha,” visits Korea again in four years. Mika's performance, which has not only provided outstanding musicality and charismatic stage manners but also pleasant and warm communication, is a part of the world tour 'Rebelation'. Are gathering.

On March 4th and 5th, Mika will be performing in Seoul for four years at Jamsil Indoor Gymnasium, where 'Grace Kelly', 'Happy Ending', 'Big Girl' and ' We will reward fans who have been waiting for them with all-time performances, including hit songs such as We Are Golden 'and recent albums.

Mika, who shines even more on the stage, has been loved by fans all over the world with the acclaimed “second Freddie Mercury”. Mika and Zenith News conducted a written interview with Mica fans. This is where Mika's story of his passion for Korea still appears.

Q. It is the Korean Live in four years. I'm curious about your visit to Korea after a long time.
The generous heart of Korean fans is very special to me. Korean fans seem to know that the appeal of the performance is that the emotion line moves back and forth like a roller coaster ride. Two hours of performance is out of reality. The attitude and understanding of the performance seems to destroy the walls of me and the audience. After the show, we grow more sophisticated. That's really the best mood. I am so thankful that I can feel these feelings again.

Q. It is the seventh Korean Live. I have shown a special affection for Korea. What does Korea mean to Mika?
It is a place to flutter. The six performances I experienced in Korea were exceptional. The same is true for my band as well as me. The warmth of the crowd, the enthusiasm of the crowd, and the surprise event every time, I think it's a very special place to perform. In particular, I am grateful that I can be with the fans as a two show, not a one show this time.

Q. Recently, many foreign artists such as Queen and Khalid are looking for Korea. Why do you think that is?
Korean fans have a lot of faith and warmth. Recognize and respond to small details. In the performance, he plays like crazy. I think it's an amazing audience.

Q. This concert in Korea has received explosive attention. Tickets sold out shortly after opening, and additional performances were finalized.
I want to say thank you first. The devotion of Korean fans really warms my heart. We'll use different ways of dealing with energy on day one and day two. I bet it will be a wild and fun show. These moments make my career more special. There is not much left, but I want to see you soon.

Q. What do you want to do during your visit?
I want to do a lot of things, but I want to film a few adventures while I'm there. It will be part of a new series on travel and music. Of course, satisfaction is a bonus. I had a big and warm greeting from my last visit. I could see why I think Korea is more special than other countries. This time, I will go enjoy these cultures more.

Q. I'm showing a unique stage every time, but I'm curious what kind of performance it will show this time.
This performance talks about color. It consists of several chapters, and each color and emotion is meaningful. There's also a story about my family, starting with how my parents met. In particular, a large picture of my parents will be installed on the stage. Through these details, I tried to capture both pop and personal feelings at the same time. In fact, this harmony is rare in pop singers. My sister and I worked on sets and illustrations, and my sister Paloma worked on costume design. We are a family and a team. Through this, it contains personal stories and family history. Also, I will sing 'Tiny Love' at this performance, and I'm already excited to sing with Korean fans. If you sing “Tiny Love” with thousands of audiences at the same time, it will be poetic. It will also show the stage of Tomorrow on the new album.

Q. There are songs that always deliver a bright but heavy message. Where do you find inspiration for your songs and performances?
I must be alone to work on a song. But my idea comes from being surrounded by people or chaos. I divide my life into two, divided into busy life and perfect loneliness. This way I can be more creative and less crazy. They try to walk as much as possible and spend their time alone. During my last visit to Seoul, I wandered the city alone for two days. If you go alone, you can get more detail. I consider myself a storyteller, a storyteller. My story from emotion always comes first before anything else. Perhaps it's from the background where I studied classical.

Q. What do you expect from this Korean performance?
Korean fans have been doing various surprise events at the show. Paper plane events are also memorable. It was amazing and amazing, and I think it was a great inspiration for fan culture in another country. There are so many Koreans, and they always treat me nicely. He is also generous and considerate. The warmth and care of Korea surprise me every time. This seems to be the driving force behind my excellent performance. I hope the fans feel the same feelings.

Q. Finally, I wonder if there are any Korean activities planned besides the performance.
This time, I will shoot a small travel and cultural documentary. I'll cover the parts of the tour that you can hear or explore. I'm going to shoot in Seoul, but suddenly I can pop out, so I hope you'll expect a lot.

138798_157539_4742.jpg.81d9e753a013a04fe2fa677359ea6d08.jpg

Mika returns after 4 years "Good Korean fans, thank you for seeing again" (Photo: Mika National Tour 2016-Seoul)

Source: Zenith Global News (http://www.zenithnews.com)

138798_157548_5011.jpg.7630e223b88dfbabfdd4ecee1473cb75.jpg

Mika (Photo: Mika National Tour 2016-Seoul)

138798_157547_4857.thumb.jpg.6a85f8519798bbc2c03c3c68f5cb443b.jpg

• Thanks 1

This is pretty interesting interview about future plan..:cloud:
-  a series of different EPs which have different styles, both musically and visually
-  filming mini travel and culture documentaries

Mika welcomes his local fans’ enthusiasm: British singer-songwriter is excited to perform in Seoul for the 7th time since 2009
Korea JoongAng Daily
1362 words
21 February 2020

Are you ready to rock with Mika? He certainly is.

The British singer-songwriter will be performing at the Jamsil Arena in southern Seoul on March 4 and 5 as part of his “Revelation Tour” that kicked off last year. It’s his first time in Seoul since 2016, and concert organizers had to add a date to his original schedule after tickets for the first show sold out in just three minutes. This will be the seventh time he has visited Korea since 2009.

Mika released his fifth full-length album “My Name Is Michael Holbrook” last October, and it is a bold and powerful compilation of songs filled with wit and ingenuity. The singer received positive reviews, especially for the tracks “Ice Cream” and “Tiny Love,” and kicked off his tour in London in November, followed by stops in Australia and Asia.

“I am very excited to be coming back,” Mika wrote in a recent email interview. “Every single one of the six shows we have done in Korea have been exceptional experiences for me and my band. The warmth of the audience, the volume of their singing, the surprises they plan collectively during the concerts. It’s a very special place to play and I always say that in interviews, no matter where I am in the world!”

Mika answered questions from the Korea JoongAng Daily via email prior to the upcoming concert. The following are edited excerpts from his responses.

Q. It’s been four years since you last visited Korea. How have you been?

A. I have been good these past few years. Working hard, and I made a very conscious decision to focus on music and creativity, stepping away from the TV shows I was doing. This has made me happy and helped me understand life and what is important. It also comes at the same time as some very big personal challenges, deaths, illnesses […] However, the writing and the creativity have helped me be strong and stay happy. So it was good timing. As a result also, these shows have a very, very special, urgent quality.

The upcoming will be the seventh time you have come to Korea. What makes you enjoy your shows in Korea and come back again?

It’s the generosity of spirit of the Korean fans, which is so special. They understand that a show is meant to be a roller coaster of emotion. That real life stays outside for two hours. This understanding allows the audience and also me, to lower the defenses we all have in our everyday lives. We become more fragile and bigger at the same time. It’s really an amazing feeling.

A lot of your songs deliver mixed emotions, like the happiness along with sadness found in “Happy Ending” (2007) and “Lollipop” (2005). Why do you like to use two contrasting emotions in your songs?

The contrast is very useful. It creates tension. However it’s more than just a writing technique. It is also reflective of how I deal with life. I always mix the two emotions, it makes it easier to deal with things and see beyond just the sadness, or be blinded by joy.

How would you like the listeners to take those songs in?

As individual bubbles. Each one contains a little bit of air and time from the moment or the part of my life that I am writing about. That’s why my albums are so varied, even within themselves. There are all these different stories that happened during the writing period of the album. The only thing that binds them together is that it happened to the same person.

What is music to Mika? Would you say that it has changed since you first started music?

It’s storytelling. It’s also about collaboration. Music is not a solitary activity. Even a classical composer who writes music at a desk on their own can’t make the music come to life without the musicians or without the audience. It’s this communication that makes it music. I have realized the importance of that. When I was at college, it was about skill and being as good as you can be. I realized later that being good is not enough. Music only counts when it provokes emotion.

You once called yourself “a traveler who doesn’t belong” in a past interview. Do you still think the same about yourself? Is it the freedom that you have that makes your songs?

I belong to a lot of places. And I can adapt quite quickly to a new place. I have started to realize now, more and more, that I generally prefer the south of Europe to the north. People are softer. I just spent time in Germany and Holland [- and] I felt like I was being told off all the time! However it really comes down to curiosity. I am quite curious. This lack of a main “home” has helped me nurture and encourage that curiosity. One day it might change, or it might not. I really don’t know.

You also mentioned in your past interview that you are interested in the indie music scene of Korea. Do you think that Korean music has what it takes to appeal to the global market?

K-pop, Korean culture, film - it’s remarkable the reach it has had and how quickly it has grown over the past five years. The world is changing so fast. People are able to make their own decisions as to what they want to listen to or what shows to buy tickets to. If you live in Chicago, you are no longer going to decide what you will listen to based on what the local hit radio station is playing. This is amazing, because most of the time the commercial stations play the same 10 songs a month. K-pop has grown also thanks to this new way of music distribution. Also its production values are so high. It takes a lot of work and I think that audiences respond to that. What is also so amazing is how “Parasite” has been so internationally recognized. It’s a triumph and a well deserved one.

More and more people communicate online and listen to the same music. Have you ever felt that the language barriers between people affects them in the way they enjoy music?

Language has never been a barrier! This is why we can listen to Portuguese music, Arabic music, French music - even if we don’t understand the words, we can understand the music. The real issue is the media and distribution. They are much less likely to promote an artist from Cape Verde than they are from Los Angeles. The internet is changing that, thank goodness. One of the best ever concerts I’ve seen was Cesaria Evora from Cape Verde, just before she passed away. She sang barefoot and the audience in London lost their minds. Everyone was so happy, so warm. She was like a goddess or priestess and we didn’t understand a word!

What will you be up to this year?

This year I want to start making new music, NOT an album, a series of different EPs which have different styles, both musically and visually. This is something I’m very excited about. Also we are starting to film mini travel and culture documentaries during my travels. Where I go and explore whist on tour. I will also be filming in Seoul, so keep an eye out for me!

BY YOON SO-YEON [yoon.soyeon@joongang.co.kr]

20214409.jpg

Pop star Mika performs at his Seoul concert in 2016, his most recent performance in Korea. [PRIVATE CURVE]

20214430.jpg

Singer Mika will perform at Jamsil Arena in southern Seoul on March 4 and 5. The March 4 show was added to the singer’s tour schedule after the March 5 concert sold out in just three minutes. [PRIVATE CURVE]

Edited by NaoMika
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 7

6 hours ago, NaoMika said:

This year I want to start making new music, NOT an album, a series of different EPs which have different styles, both musically and visually.This is something I'm very excited about.Also we are starting to film mini travel and culture documentaries during my travels.Where I go and explore whist on tour.I will also be filming in Seoul, so keep an eye out for me!

This is really interesting, I hope Mika mentions more about this soon! 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, NaoMika said:
This is pretty interesting interview about future plan..:cloud:
-  a series of different EPs which have different styles, both musically and visually
-  filming mini travel and culture documentaries

Mika welcomes his local fans’ enthusiasm: British singer-songwriter is excited to perform in Seoul for the 7th time since 2009
Korea JoongAng Daily
1362 words
21 February 2020

Are you ready to rock with Mika? He certainly is.

The British singer-songwriter will be performing at the Jamsil Arena in southern Seoul on March 4 and 5 as part of his “Revelation Tour” that kicked off last year. It’s his first time in Seoul since 2016, and concert organizers had to add a date to his original schedule after tickets for the first show sold out in just three minutes. This will be the seventh time he has visited Korea since 2009.

Mika released his fifth full-length album “My Name Is Michael Holbrook” last October, and it is a bold and powerful compilation of songs filled with wit and ingenuity. The singer received positive reviews, especially for the tracks “Ice Cream” and “Tiny Love,” and kicked off his tour in London in November, followed by stops in Australia and Asia.

“I am very excited to be coming back,” Mika wrote in a recent email interview. “Every single one of the six shows we have done in Korea have been exceptional experiences for me and my band. The warmth of the audience, the volume of their singing, the surprises they plan collectively during the concerts. It’s a very special place to play and I always say that in interviews, no matter where I am in the world!”

Mika answered questions from the Korea JoongAng Daily via email prior to the upcoming concert. The following are edited excerpts from his responses.

Q. It’s been four years since you last visited Korea. How have you been?

A. I have been good these past few years. Working hard, and I made a very conscious decision to focus on music and creativity, stepping away from the TV shows I was doing. This has made me happy and helped me understand life and what is important. It also comes at the same time as some very big personal challenges, deaths, illnesses […] However, the writing and the creativity have helped me be strong and stay happy. So it was good timing. As a result also, these shows have a very, very special, urgent quality.

The upcoming will be the seventh time you have come to Korea. What makes you enjoy your shows in Korea and come back again?

It’s the generosity of spirit of the Korean fans, which is so special. They understand that a show is meant to be a roller coaster of emotion. That real life stays outside for two hours. This understanding allows the audience and also me, to lower the defenses we all have in our everyday lives. We become more fragile and bigger at the same time. It’s really an amazing feeling.

A lot of your songs deliver mixed emotions, like the happiness along with sadness found in “Happy Ending” (2007) and “Lollipop” (2005). Why do you like to use two contrasting emotions in your songs?

The contrast is very useful. It creates tension. However it’s more than just a writing technique. It is also reflective of how I deal with life. I always mix the two emotions, it makes it easier to deal with things and see beyond just the sadness, or be blinded by joy.

How would you like the listeners to take those songs in?

As individual bubbles. Each one contains a little bit of air and time from the moment or the part of my life that I am writing about. That’s why my albums are so varied, even within themselves. There are all these different stories that happened during the writing period of the album. The only thing that binds them together is that it happened to the same person.

What is music to Mika? Would you say that it has changed since you first started music?

It’s storytelling. It’s also about collaboration. Music is not a solitary activity. Even a classical composer who writes music at a desk on their own can’t make the music come to life without the musicians or without the audience. It’s this communication that makes it music. I have realized the importance of that. When I was at college, it was about skill and being as good as you can be. I realized later that being good is not enough. Music only counts when it provokes emotion.

You once called yourself “a traveler who doesn’t belong” in a past interview. Do you still think the same about yourself? Is it the freedom that you have that makes your songs?

I belong to a lot of places. And I can adapt quite quickly to a new place. I have started to realize now, more and more, that I generally prefer the south of Europe to the north. People are softer. I just spent time in Germany and Holland [- and] I felt like I was being told off all the time! However it really comes down to curiosity. I am quite curious. This lack of a main “home” has helped me nurture and encourage that curiosity. One day it might change, or it might not. I really don’t know.

You also mentioned in your past interview that you are interested in the indie music scene of Korea. Do you think that Korean music has what it takes to appeal to the global market?

K-pop, Korean culture, film - it’s remarkable the reach it has had and how quickly it has grown over the past five years. The world is changing so fast. People are able to make their own decisions as to what they want to listen to or what shows to buy tickets to. If you live in Chicago, you are no longer going to decide what you will listen to based on what the local hit radio station is playing. This is amazing, because most of the time the commercial stations play the same 10 songs a month. K-pop has grown also thanks to this new way of music distribution. Also its production values are so high. It takes a lot of work and I think that audiences respond to that. What is also so amazing is how “Parasite” has been so internationally recognized. It’s a triumph and a well deserved one.

More and more people communicate online and listen to the same music. Have you ever felt that the language barriers between people affects them in the way they enjoy music?

Language has never been a barrier! This is why we can listen to Portuguese music, Arabic music, French music - even if we don’t understand the words, we can understand the music. The real issue is the media and distribution. They are much less likely to promote an artist from Cape Verde than they are from Los Angeles. The internet is changing that, thank goodness. One of the best ever concerts I’ve seen was Cesaria Evora from Cape Verde, just before she passed away. She sang barefoot and the audience in London lost their minds. Everyone was so happy, so warm. She was like a goddess or priestess and we didn’t understand a word!

This year I want to start making new music, NOT an album, a series of different EPs which have different styles, both musically and visually. This is something I’m very excited about. Also we are starting to film mini travel and culture documentaries during my travels. Where I go and explore whist on tour. I will also be filming in Seoul, so keep an eye out for me!

BY YOON SO-YEON [yoon.soyeon@joongang.co.kr]

20214409.jpg

Pop star Mika performs at his Seoul concert in 2016, his most recent performance in Korea. [PRIVATE CURVE]

20214430.jpg

Singer Mika will perform at Jamsil Arena in southern Seoul on March 4 and 5. The March 4 show was added to the singer’s tour schedule after the March 5 concert sold out in just three minutes. [PRIVATE CURVE]

Thank you Naomi for sharing the interview. Interesting projects, indeed ! I am just a bit surprised to read that MIKA felt “told off” in Germany and Holland 🥺 What makes him feel that way ?

1 hour ago, koningin said:

Thank you Naomi for sharing the interview. Interesting projects, indeed ! I am just a bit surprised to read that MIKA felt “told off” in Germany and Holland 🥺 What makes him feel that way ?

I don't know about Germany, but on the third night in Utrecht he said that people on bikes were constantly yelling at him when he was distracted and wasn't paying attention to them. 🚲🚲🚲

• Like 3

11 hours ago, NaoMika said:

Wow, that sounds interesting!! :wub:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lunari said:

I don't know about Germany, but on the third night in Utrecht he said that people on bikes were constantly yelling at him when he was distracted and wasn't paying attention to them. 🚲🚲🚲

I know that feeling from Leipzig, I felt like a second-class person without a bike there... So maybe he made the same experience in Germany too? :naughty:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, koningin said:

Oh yes, thank you, I remember now. I wonder why he mentions Germany though.

Maybe for not putting all the blame on Holland. :naughty: I also wonder why (and when?!) he "spent time" in Germany - maybe his flight to New Caledonia went from Frankfurt, I think that's closer to Strasbourg than Paris. :dunno:

Anyway, he does have a point there. In Bavaria we have a saying which expresses that if you don't tell someone off for once, it's enough of a compliment. :naughty: ("Oimal net g'schimpft is gnua g'lobt!") It's meant in a funny way, but there really is some truth in it, as in 'don't show too much of your emotions', parents are worried they might spoil their children too much, stuff like that. I feel it has become a lot better over the years, but it's the way a lot of us got raised as children. Anyway I think it just means that we certainly need more Mika, more colours and emotions in our lives in Germany, he'd have a lot of work to do here! :teehee:

• Like 4

On 2/21/2020 at 6:16 PM, koningin said:

Oh yes, thank you, I remember now. I wonder why he mentions Germany though.

On 2/21/2020 at 5:55 PM, Lunari said:

18 hours ago, giraffeandy said:

I know that feeling from Leipzig, I felt like a second-class person without a bike there... So maybe he made the same experience in Germany too? :naughty:

as far as we know he wasn´t in Germany recently.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, mellody said:

Maybe for not putting all the blame on Holland. :naughty: I also wonder why (and when?!) he "spent time" in Germany - maybe his flight to New Caledonia went from Frankfurt, I think that's closer to Strasbourg than Paris. :dunno:

Anyway, he does have a point there. In Bavaria we have a saying which expresses that if you don't tell someone off for once, it's enough of a compliment. :naughty: ("Oimal net g'schimpft is gnua g'lobt!") It's meant in a funny way, but there really is some truth in it, as in 'don't show too much of your emotions', parents are worried they might spoil their children too much, stuff like that. I feel it has become a lot better over the years, but it's the way a lot of us got raised as children. Anyway I think it just means that we certainly need more Mika, more colours and emotions in our lives in Germany, he'd have a lot of work to do here! :teehee:

he went to Paris after Strassburg to see his mum and meet his family before going to New Caledonia, he said it in an interview

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Sabine64 said:

He might've gone on a day trip there while he was in Utrecht, who knows.

21 minutes ago, Sabine64 said:

he went to Paris after Strassburg to see his mum and meet his family before going to New Caledonia, he said it in an interview

I think he said it at the gig, before EMD, that the next day before he'd be heading to the airport, he'd meet with his family & they'd be dancing for his Mum. Who I suppose would be in Paris, I agree with you there. But it could also be that they drove her to Alsace - we don't really know for sure. But maybe you're right and him spending time in Germany just meant that he drove through Germany by car for a few km and stopped at a gas station (or not). :naughty:

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Sabine64 said:

I know but I didn't mean now, he has been there before and also we don't know about all his journeys, only about places where he has gigs or he shares them on IG. 

• Like 2

Anyway, Germany aside (tho I certainly do like that he mentioned it in 2 interviews within one week, even if we might not know the reasons :teehee:), I think this is my favourite quote from the interview:

On 2/21/2020 at 4:50 PM, koningin said:

I wonder at what point he realized that. While writing the current album, maybe? After the Canadian TV show in January, where music provoked a lot of emotions for him? Or much earlier already?

I also love what he says about becoming more fragile and bigger at the same time during his shows. For myself, at least for the last few gigs I attended, I wouldn't even say more fragile, just more emotional, but I guess it depends on the emotions you have. For him, who is obviously most involved in the stories of his songs, it surely is a rollercoaster of feelings for each song. For the fans I suppose it depends on what feelings a certain song provokes in them, or if they can relate to it at that point of their life. For example, if you've just gone through a breakup or remember that feeling very well, a song like Happy Ending is likely to make you feel fragile, maybe even make you cry. But if you're happy, you might just notice the beauty in it, without being affected too much by the sadness. (also an interesting quote btw, what he says about the beauty and the sadness of things, I think it's a good approach to deal with life that way).

• Like 3

:south-korea: KOREA

Korea Herald.com

• Published : Feb 23, 2020
[Herald Interview]
Mika returns as Michael Holbrook, name he once hated
British pop star says latest album is provocation of his honest, conflicting emotions

After a decade of life as a glam-pop star, Lebanese-born British singer Mika faced a point in his life where he had to hit the ground again to push himself in the right direction.

For 2 1/2 years, he stepped away from the spotlight and consciously focused on his music and creativity.

Mika’s fifth album, “My Name Is Michael Holbrook,” is the result of the singer’s contemplation.

“I used to hate my legal name! I was convinced that only through assuming and defending my artist name would I ever be happy,” the 36-year-old told The Korea Herald via email.

“I have realized with time that this is not true. All artists have two sides to them. If I am to continue to grow and evolve then I had to be really aware of my own identity.”

His debut album, “Life in Cartoon Motion,” had been about moving on from his childhood, but his latest album is about growing up, which the artist says is the biggest challenge we have to face.

“The title of the album is a provocation. I am provoking myself to be honest, intimate, un-ashamed, but also to be full of bright color and a full range of emotion,” the singer-songwriter said. “This is not naive, it’s essential. This is why the album talks about so many different emotions.”

The album starts off with Mika talking about the small things that he loves in life in the set’s first track, “Tiny Love.”

“My name is Michael Holbrook, I was born in 1983,” he says in the song, perhaps embracing a part of himself that he couldn’t love in the past.

In “Ice Cream,” the pop star brings back his buoyant and bouncy vibe. He faces envy in “Dear Jealousy.” In “Paloma,” he pays tribute to his sibling who miraculously recovered from an accident that almost killed her.

Mika’s music always has a mix of conflicting emotions -- the crossing of personal and yet social messages. The contrast, he says, not only creates tension in the music, but also reflects how he deals with his own life.

In the last album, “I tried to use some of those more dark or painful experiences for something good. We think we can throw away those emotions, just store them somewhere deep ... but that is not true,” he said.

According to Mika, he wrote the songs for “My Name Is Michael Holbrook” when he was going through major personal challenges, including deaths and illnesses.

His mother, a source of inspiration and support for his work, fell gravely ill during that time and was diagnosed with cancer. Although shocked and dismayed, he didn’t stop at that. Mika dedicated his last song of the album, “Tiny Love Reprise,” to his mother, giving her a chance to sing part of the song.

“It is my love letter to her and also a form of resistance on her part. Resistance to sadness, to cold emotion, to the illness itself.”

While he gets ideas surrounded by people and chaos, Mika says solitude helps him focus on writing. He enjoys wandering around by himself and even walked around alone for two days in Seoul when he last visited the city.

The Brit singer, who is returning to Korea after almost four years, says he is very excited to be coming back. He will visit Seoul as part of his worldwide “Revelation Tour” that started in November, following the release of his fifth studio album in October.

“Every single one of the six shows we have done in Korea have been exceptional experiences for me and my band. It’s a very special place to play,” the artist said, noting the “generosity in the spirit of the people” makes Korea special to him.

Mika also hinted he would do more than just perform in Seoul during his March trip. The artist is planning a mini documentary series on travel and music this year. He will be filming a few adventures here in Seoul as part of the project.

Despite concerns about the coronavirus outbreak, Mika is pushing ahead with his concerts scheduled for March 4 and 5 at the Jamsil Arena in eastern Seoul.

20200223000168_0.thumb.jpg.15c20a734a93be97576e52d82d2df8e4.jpg

Mika performs in Seoul in 2016. (Private Curve)

20200223000169_0.thumb.jpg.bfab73f8522b7b417809ca72d5d8504d.jpg

“Mika Revelation Tour” poster (Private Curve)

• Thanks 1

Korea Times.co.kr

page 17

2020_02.24_p-17_KoreanTimes.thumb.jpg.46b6ba9b2449b78fffa55b7882d859a7.jpg

British singer MIKA previews Seoul concerts

'Parasite' success wows British singer

By Park Ji-won

British singer-songwriter MIKA, one of the most popular overseas pop stars in Korea, has spent decades finding his personal as well as musical identity. Finally, after a four-year hiatus during which he matured his musical vision, he is coming back to perform in Seoul, March 4 and 5, to promote his new album "My Name Is Michael Holbrook" as part of his "Revelation Tour."

MIKA expressed his gratitude toward Korean fans and revealed that his shows will be performances inspired by George Michael, Jacque Brel and Prince.

"For many years the Korean fans have been planning surprises during shows. Such as thousands of paper aeroplanes... This is just amazing and they have inspired hundreds of other fans in countries all over the world to do the same. But the Korean fans were the first! For that I want to say thank you. Those moments are some of the most special of my career," MIKA said in an email interview with a Korean media outlet, Thursday.

The British singer mesmerized Korean fans in his first concert here four years ago.

In a sign of his popularity, tickets for the upcoming March 4 concert in Jamsil Stadium sold out in three minutes. He therefore added another concert there March 5 for fans who failed to secure tickets for the previous day.

Korean fans have been anxious for his comeback concert over the past four years.

In the shows, he will sing new songs, including "Tiny Love" and "Tomorrow," and tell more personal stories of his family members who play a significant role in his musical career and life.

"The show is about color. It's divided into different chapters, each dedicated to color and emotion. The show also tells my family story, starting with how my parents met. There are even giant cut out photos of my parents on stage! I wanted it to be super pop and super personal! This is a mixture that is very rare in pop shows. One of my sisters and I designed the set and the illustrations, my other sister, Paloma, has done all the costume design also! Some things never change, we are a family team!"

New album with his legal name

He said the reason it took four years to release his new album and hold concerts were because of personal challenges which gave him more understanding of life in general and more flavor in his music.

"I have been good these past few years. Working hard, I made a very conscious decision to focus on music and creativity, stepping away from the TV shows I was doing. This has made me happy and helped me understand life and what is important. It also comes at the same time as some very big personal challenges, deaths, and illnesses."

He publicly came out as gay in 2012 in an interview with the men's lifestyle magazine Instinct while enjoying one of the greatest successes in the music industry with megahit songs including "Grace Kelly." However, he struggled to balance his personal life and musical career. This is likely one of reasons he decided to return to using his given name, Michael, on his latest album in a determined step to be honest to himself in his personal journey.

"I used to hate my legal name! I was convinced that only through assuming and defending my artist name would I ever be happy. I have realized with time that this is not true. In fact, the opposite is true! All artists have two sides to them. I asked myself, which is the more real version of me, MIKA or Michael? If I am to continue to grow and evolve then I had to be really aware of my own identity.

"The title of the album is a provocation. I am provoking myself to be honest, intimate, un-ashamed, but also to be full of bright color and a full range of emotion. This is the biggest challenge we all have to face: how to grow up, without losing the brightness of your colors and the idea that anything is possible. This is not naive. It's essential. This is why the album talks about so many different emotions."

When asked about being a "grown-up," key words on his new album, he stressed the importance of constantly asking questions about oneself in order not to lose their identity.

"(Being an adult is) like being a teenager but less of an idiot; Like a child but seeing things with more perspective; Like an old man but laughing and crying like a child. The only way not to lose the brightness of your colors as you grow up, is to constantly ask yourself the question, who are you? Reevaluating your identity will help you assume it. As it's something that will always change, and you just have to be aware of it... keep up with it."

Meanwhile, he congratulated Korean film "Parasite" on winning at the Oscars, saying he was amazed by the cultural development of Korea in recent years.

"What is also so amazing is how Parasite has been so internationally recognized. It's a triumph and a well-deserved one… K-pop, Korean culture and film. It's remarkable the reach it has had and how quickly it has grown over the past 5 years. The world is changing so fast. People are able to make their own decisions as to what they want to listen to or what shows to buy tickets to. If you live in Chicago, you are no longer going to decide what you will listen to based on what the local hit radio station is playing. This is amazing, because most of the time the commercial stations play the same 10 songs a month. K-pop has grown also thanks to this new way of music distribution. Also its production values are so high. It takes a lot of work and I think that audiences respond to that."

He again pledged to give joyful experience through his concerts in Seoul for the fans who will come to see him.

"Thank you!
The commitment of Korean fans is heartwarming. It's always more fun to do more than one show.
That way you can change the energy from one show to the other. I promise a very intense and joyful show."

Edited by Kumazzz
adding an image file.

Diodeo.com
  • 2020/02/20
미카 "한국 돌아올 생각에 설레…K팝 빠른 성장 놀랍다"(인터뷰)

(서울=뉴스1) 고승아 기자 = 탁월한 음악성과 화려하고 독창적인 퍼포먼스로 특히 한국에서 큰 사랑을 받고 있는 레바논 태생의 영국 싱어송라이터 미카(MIKA)가 4년 만에 한국을 다시 찾는다. 월드투어 '레벨레이션(Revelation)'의 일환으로 열리는 이번 내한 공연은 오는 3월4일과 5일, 양일간 서울 잠실 실내체육관에서 진행된다.

2007년 데뷔한 미카는 데뷔 앨범 '라이프 인 카툰 모션(Life in Cartoon Motion)'의 수록곡 '그레이스 켈리(Grace Kelly)'를 통해 브릿 어워드 'Best British Breakthrough Act' 수상, 그래미 어워드 노미네이트, BBC '사운드 오브 2007(Sound of 2007)' 1위, 영국 외 11개국에서 차트 1위의 성적을 올리며 팝스타 반열에 올랐다. 3장의 플래티넘 앨범을 기록한 미카는 지난해 10월 발매된 정규 5집 '마이 네임 이즈 마이클 홀브룩(My Name Is Michael Holbrook)'에서는 자신의 정체성을 진심 어린 가사로 풀어내 공감을 끌어낸 바 있다.

특히 미카는 독보적인 음색과 창의적이고 파워풀한 무대 매너로 '제2의 프레디 머큐리'라는 찬사를 들으며 프레디 머큐리를 비롯해 프린스, 엘튼 존 등과 비교되며 평론가들로부터 호평을 받기도 했다.

미카는 오는 3월 열리는 내한 공연을 앞두고 공연 주최사 프라이빗커브를 통해 기자와 인터뷰를 진행했다. 데뷔 이후 지금까지 여섯 번이나 한국을 방문한 미카는 오랜만에 한국을 방문하는 것에 대한 반가움은 물론 한국에 대한 여전한 애정을 드러냈다.

다음은 미카와 일문일답.

-4년 만의 내한공연이다. 매번 한국에 발걸음하게 하는 요인이 무엇인가.

▶돌아올 생각에 너무 설렌다. 제가 한국에서 경험한 6번의 공연은 정말 특출났다. 저뿐만 아니라 제 밴드에게도. 관중이 가지고 있는 따뜻함과 떼창하는 그 열정, 공연때마다 준비한 서프라이즈 이벤트까지. 공연하기에 매우 특별한 곳이라고 생각한다. 제가 세상 어디에 있던지간에, 저는 항상 인터뷰때마다 한국을 향한 제 마음을 언급한다. 한국 팬들이 가지고 있는 후하고 베푸는 마음가짐이 제게는 너무 특별하다. 감정선이 롤러코스터 타는 것 마냥 왔다갔다 하는게 공연의 매력이라는 것을 그들은 아는 것 같다. 두시간 동안만큼은 현실에서 벗어난다. 공연을 대하는 이러한 자세와 이해가 저와 관객분들이 매일 갖고 있는 벽들을 허무는 듯 하다. 그 이후 저희는 더욱 섬세하고도 성장한다. 정말 최고의 기분이다.

-본인의 라이프스타일은 어떤가. 삶과 일상생활에 대해 알려달라.

▶저는 호기심이 많은 사람이다. 가끔은 너무하다 싶을정도로 그렇다. 음식, 사람, 와인, 동물을 너무나도 사랑란다. 말도 타고, 등산도 하고, 요리도 즐기고 미술도 즐긴다. 자야할 때 슬퍼지지만, 깨야할 때도 슬프다. 하하. 저는 그냥 같이 살면 피곤하다 싶은 사람이다. 하지만 저는 이렇게 인생에서 중요하다 느끼는 사소한 것들까지도 호기심으로 풀어내는 사람이다. 저는 힘든 순간에도 행복하게 해쳐나갈 수 있는 그러한 힘이 있는 것 같다.

-이번 투어 '레벨레이션 투어'는 어떻게 시작했고, 기대하고 있는 부분은 무엇인가.

▶이번 투어명에도 나와있듯, 개인적으로 이번에 저에 대해 많은 것들을 알려드리고 싶다. 엄청나게 화려한 원맨쇼가 되지 않을까 싶다. 한번도 보지 못했던 제 모습을 보고 들을 수 있도록 관객 여러분들께 꼭 보여드리겠다. 또 조지 마이클(George Michael), 자크 브렐(Jacques Brel), 그리고 프린스(Prince)로부터 많은 감명을 받았던 것 같다. 하나의 아이콘이었던 이 아티스트들은 제가 마치 방 안에 혼자 있는 듯한 느낌을 줬다. 제 기억과 감정적으로 하나의 '마크'를 남기는 듯 했다. 이 공연은 몇 가지의 막으로 이루어져 있고, 저는 스토리텔링을 하는 방식으로 공연을 펼칠 것이다. 각 막(챕터)은 색깔 혹은 제가 느끼고 있는 많은 감정들을 기반으로 한다. 제 개인적인 이야기를 담았고, 가족사 또한 담겨져 있다. 공연에 오시면 보시겠지만, 세트에 저희 부모님 사진 또한 걸려있을 것이다.

-'팝 지니어스' '프레디 머큐리'라는 별명이 있다. 이 별명에 대해 어떻게 생각하나.

▶칭찬인 별명이라 매우 감사하게 생각하고 있다. 하지만 어느 별명이 되었던 이는 아마 저를 제한적이고 국한적이게 만들수도 있다 생각한다. 제가 무엇을 하는지 정확하게 이해하려면, 제가 무대 위에서 어떤지 보는게 중요하다 생각한다. 음악적으로나 몸으로 풀어낼 수 있는 언어가 감정의 스펙트럼에 입혀졌을 때의 레파토리가 보이실 것이다. 하하. 약간 어려운 표현인가.

-그럼 당신은 무대 위에서 어느 매력을 가지고 있나.

▶2시간 내로 모순적임을 느끼면서, 갑자기 슬프다가도 미친듯이 행복하고, 수천번 뛰어다닐 수 있는 넓은 스펙트럼을 느끼실 수 있을 것이다. 제 공연과 앨범은 전부 이러한 매력을 갖고 있다. 제 자신을 최대한 투명하게 하려고 한다. 제 이야기나 감정을 표현하는 과정이나 결과에 있어서 연연해하지 않으려고 하기 때문이다.

-자신의 곡이 자주 광고에 나오는데, 당신의 곡을 찾는 매력이 무엇이라고 생각하나.

▶제가 제 자신에게 자주 하는 질문이다. 아마 다른 팝 아티스트들과 달라서가 아닐까. 제가 알터너티브 멜로디 팝 쪽으로 기울어져있는데 음, 이 말 자체가 모순적이다. 알터너티브 팝, 알트팝이라니!

-팝의 요소를 갖고 있지만 당신은 일렉트로닉한 사운드 또한 잘 조화롭게 사용하는 듯 하다. 작곡을 할떄 어느 종류의 악기를 사용하나.

▶지금 이 시기에 굉장히 적절한 질문이다. 요새는 모든 것들이 가능하다 생각한다. 사실은 컴퓨터의 프로그래밍 하는 듯한 소리를 내면서. 물론 좋을 수도 있다. 하지만 저는 가장 최근 앨범에 치유를 담으려고 노력했다. 컴퓨터에서 나는 소리는 없다. 단조로운 피아노 연주부터 악기까지 정말 존재하는 악기로부터 나왔다. 실제로 존재하는 신디사이저부터, 빈티지한 매력의 악기까지 전부 실존하는 악기의 소리였다. 샘플을 땄다면 그 곡을 위해서 만들었다. 소리를 고를 때 눈에 띄기 마련이다.

-한국 문화에 대해 어떻게 생각하나. 특히 K-팝이 갖고 있는 힘이 있다고 생각하나.

▶K팝, 한국 문화, 한국 영화… 얼마나 많은 사람들에게 전파됐는지, 최근 5년간 얼마나 빨리 성장했는지를 보면 매우 놀랍다. 세상은 너무 빨리 바뀌고 있다. 사람들은 자신들이 원하는 선택을 할 수 있어서, 무엇을 들을지, 어느 티켓을 살지도 정할 수 있다. 만약 시카고에 산다면 앞으로 무슨 음악을 감상할지 결정하지 않을 것이다. 라디오 채널에서 무슨 곡이 흘러나오던 크게 생각하지 않는다. 이건 참 대단한 것이다. 왜냐하면 상업적인 라디오 채널에서는 같은 10개의 곡을 꾸준히 내보낼 것이기 때문이다. 그런데 K-팝은 음악 유통에서도 새로운 방식을 도입시켰다. 프로덕션의 가치 또한 매우 높다. 작업하는데 시간이 걸리고 리스너들은 이를 안다. 최근 영화 '기생충'이 얼마나 광대하게 각광받는지, 대단하다 생각한다. 꼭 받아야 마땅한 영화였고, 승리였다고 생각한다.

-마지막으로 한국 팬분들에게 한마디 해달라.

▶많은 시간동안 한국 팬분들은 공연에 다양한 서프라이즈 이벤트를 해주셨다. 종이 비행기 이벤트 같은 것들 말이다. 진짜 너무 대단하고 놀랍다. 다른 나라의 팬 문화에 큰 영감을 줬다고 생각한다. 하지만 한국 팬들이 처음이었다! 정말 너무 감사하다 말씀드리고 싶다. 그런 순간들이 제 커리어를 더욱 특별하게 만든다. 감사하다. 곧 만나자.

Spoiler

Mika "I'm excited to be back in Korea… K pop growth is amazing" (interview)

(Seoul = News1) Reporter Ko Seung-a = Lebanese-born British singer-songwriter MIKA, who is very much loved in Korea for his outstanding musicality and colorful and original performance, will return to Korea in four years. As part of the world tour 'Revelation', the concert will be held at the Jamsil Indoor Gymnasium in Seoul on March 4 and 5.

Mika, who made his debut in 2007, won the Brit Awards' Best British Breakthrough Act 'through her debut album' Life in Cartoon Motion ',' Grace Kelly ', Grammy Awards nomination, and BBC' Sound of 2007 (Sound of 2007), ranked first on the charts in 11 countries outside the UK, popping into the pop star class. Mica, who recorded three platinum albums, drew his sympathy by expressing his identity with sincere lyrics in his 5th album, My Name Is Michael Holbrook, which was released in October last year.

In particular, Mika was praised by the acclaimed 'Second Freddie Mercury' for his unique tone and creative and powerful stage manners. He was compared with Freddie Mercury, Prince and Elton John, and was well received by critics.

Mika interviewed a reporter through the private organizer's private curve ahead of the concert in Korea in March. Mika, who has visited Korea six times since her debut, has shown her love for Korea as well as the joy of visiting Korea for the first time in a while.

Next is Mika speaking

-It is a performance in Korea after 4 years. What is the factor that keeps Korea going?

▶ I'm so excited to be back. The six performances I experienced in Korea were exceptional. Not only me but also my band. The warmth that the audience has, the passion for the crowds, and the surprise event that was prepared every time. I think it's a very special place to perform. Wherever I am in the world, I always mention my heart towards Korea in interviews. The generosity and generosity that Korean fans have is so special to me. They seem to know that it is the attraction of the performance that the sentiment lines travel back and forth like a roller coaster ride. Two hours out of reality. This attitude and understanding of the performance seems to destroy the walls that I and the audience have every day. Since then we have grown more delicate. I feel really best.

-How is your lifestyle? Tell me about your life and daily life.

▶ I am a curious person. Sometimes it's too much. I love food, people, wine and animals so much. Riding horses, hiking, cooking and art. Sad to sleep, but sad to wake up. haha. I just want to get tired of living together. However, I am a curiosity person who solves even the small things that are important in life. I seem to have the power to happily do it in difficult times.

-How did you start this level tour? What are your expectations?

▶ As mentioned in this tour name, I personally want to tell you a lot about me. I think it will be a very colorful one-man show. I will show it to the audience so that I can see and hear myself that I have never seen before. It also seems to have been impressed by George Michael, Jacques Brel, and Prince. As an icon, these artists gave me the feeling that I was alone in my room. It seemed to me to leave a 'mark' emotionally and emotionally. The show is made up of several acts, and I will perform in a storytelling fashion. Each act is based on color or a lot of emotions. It contains my personal story and family history. As you can see at the show, the set will also have a picture of my parents.

'Pop Genius' 'Freddie Mercury' nickname. What do you think about this nickname?

▶ It is a nickname that is a compliment, so I am very grateful. But I think that one nickname might make me limited and local. To understand exactly what I do, I think it's important to see how I'm on stage. You will see a repertoire when the language that can be solved musically or by body is put on the spectrum of emotions. haha. Is that a bit difficult?

-Which charm do you have on stage?

▶ You can feel the contradiction within two hours, suddenly sad and happy as crazy, and you can feel the broad spectrum that can run thousands of times. All my performances and albums have this charm. I try to make myself as transparent as possible. I don't want to dwell on the process or results of my story or feelings.

-Your own songs often appear in commercials, what do you think is the appeal of finding your songs?

▶ This is a question I frequently ask myself. Maybe it's different from other pop artists. I'm inclined towards alternative melody pops, but this is inconsistent. Alternative Pop, Alt Pop!

It has a pop element, but you seem to use the electronic sound as well. What kind of instrument do you use to compose?

▶ This is a very appropriate question at this time. Fortress thinks all things are possible. In fact, it sounds like you're programming a computer. Of course it might be good. But I tried to put healing on the most recent album. There is no sound from the computer. From monotonous piano performances to musical instruments. It was the sound of an existing instrument, from the actual synthesizer to the vintage charm. If you had a sample, I made it for that song. It's easy to stand out when choosing a sound.

-What do you think about Korean culture? In particular, do you think K-Pop has the power?

▶ K-pop, Korean culture, Korean movies. It is amazing to see how many people have spread to them and how quickly they have grown in the last five years. The world is changing so fast. People can make the choices they want so they can decide what to listen to and which tickets to buy. If you live in Chicago, you won't decide what music to listen to. I don't think much about what's on the radio channel. This is great. Because commercial radio channels will continue to release the same 10 songs. However, K-pop has introduced a new method in music distribution. The value of the production is also very high. It takes time to work and listeners know it. I think it's amazing how vastly the movie 'Parasite' has been in the spotlight. I think it was a movie that I deserve, and I think it was a victory.

-At ast, please say something to Korean fans.

▶ For many hours, Korean fans gave various surprise events to their performances. Something like a paper airplane event. Really so amazing and amazing I think it was a great inspiration for the fan culture of other countries. But Korean fans were the first time! I'm so thankful.

Those moments make my career more special.

Thank. See you soon.

The Preview.co.kr

[단독인터뷰] 미카 "음악은 나에게는 스토리텔링 과도 같다"

[더프리뷰=서울] 최유현 기자=매번 다채로운 음악과 화려한 퍼포먼스로 많은 사람들에게 즐거움과 행복한 경험을 선물하는 아티스트 '미카(MIKA)'가 월드투어 ‘레벨레이션(Revelation)’ 일환으로 오는 3월 4일과 3월 5일 잠실 실내체육관 에서 양일간 진행되는 내한공연을 확정했다.

미카는 2007년 데뷔 앨범 ‘라이프 인 카툰 모션(Life in Cartoon Motion)’의 수록곡 ‘그레이스 켈리(Grace Kelly)’를 통해 브릿 어워드 ‘Best British Breakthrough Act’ 수상, 그래미 어워드 노미네이트, BBC ‘사운드 오브 2007(Sound of 2007)’ 1위, 영국 외 11개국에서 차트 1위의 성적을 올리며 등장과 동시에 세계적인 입지를 곤고히 했다.  또한 지난해 10월 발매된 정규 5집 ‘마이 네임 이즈 마이클 홀브룩(My Name Is Michael Holbrook)’에서는 자신의 정체성을 진심 어린 가사로 풀어내며 많은 공감을 이끌어냈다. 

이처럼 계속해서 미카 다운 음악적 행보를 이어가고 있는 미카와 오는 3월 진행되는 내한공연으로 한국 팬들을 만나기 전에 이번 내한공연과 투어에 대한 설명 과 더불어 음악에 대한 본인의 생각을 엿볼 수 있는 서면 인터뷰가 진행 되었다.이번 서면 인터뷰를 통해서 미카의 한국에 대한 애정을 다시한번 느낄 수 있었다. 

Q. 이번 ‘레벨레이션(Revelation)’ 월드 투어에 대한 설명 부탁드립니다. 

이번 투어명에도 나와있듯이 개인적으로 이번에 저에 대해 많은 것들을 알려드리고 싶었어요. 엄청나게 화려한 원맨쇼가 되지 않을까 싶었던것이죠. 한번도 보지 못했던 제 모습을 보고 들을 수 있도록 관객 여러분들께 꼭 보여드릴거에요. 조지 마이클(George Michael), 자크 브렐(Jacques Brel), 그리고 프린스(Prince)로부터 많은 감명을 받았던 것 같아요. 하나의 아이콘이었던 이 아티스트들은 어느샌가 저에게는 큰 원동력이 되었거든요. 그들처럼 멋있지만 저만의 스토리로 멋있게 풀어낼 예정이에요. 진솔하고 솔직하고 따뜻함을 담아서요.

Q 이번 한국에서의 내한공연에서 중점적으로 전달하고 싶은 메시지가 따로 있는지 궁금합니다.

한국 팬들이 가지고 있는 후하고 베푸는 마음가짐이 너무 제게는 특별해요. 감정선이 롤러코스터 타는 것 마냥 왔다갔다 하는게 공연의 매력이라는 것을 그들은 아는 것 같아요. 두시간 동안만큼은 현실에서 벗어나요. 공연을 대하는 이러한 자세와 이해가 저와 관객분들이 매일 갖고 있는 벽들을 허무는 듯해요. 이러한 경험을 통해 더욱 섬세하고 성장할 수 있도록 바랍니다. 이 공연은 몇가지의 막으로 이루어져 있어요. 각 막은 색깔 혹은 제가 느끼고 있는 많은 감정들을 기반으로 하죠. 제 개인적인 이야기를 담았고, 가족사 또한 담겨져 있답니다. 공연에 오시면 보시겠지만, 세트에 저희 부모님 사진 또한 걸려있을 거에요!

Q. 항상 독창적인 퍼포먼스를 보여주는 MIKA 이기 떄문에 이번에 공연 또한 기대가 되는데, 이번 공연에서 준비중인 특별한 퍼포먼스가 따로 있는지? 있다면 약간의 스포일러 부탁 드립니다.  

이 공연은 색깔에 대해 말해요. 몇가지 장(챕터)으로 이루어져 있고 각 색깔과 감정은 의미가 있어요. 이번 공연은 제 가족에 대한 이야기를 말하고 있는데, 부모님이 어떻게 만나셨는지 부터 시작해요. 심지어 저희 부모님의 큰 사진이 무대에 설치될 예정이에요! 팝과 개인적인 느낌을 동시에 담으려고 했어요! 팝 가수들의 공연에서 이런 조화는 흔치 않아요. 제 누나와 저는 세트와 일러스트를 진행했고, 제 여동생 팔로마는 코스튬 디자인 또한 진행했어요. 어느 것들은 정말 참 바뀌지 않아요. 저희는 가족이자 팀이니까요!
‘Tiny Love’를 부를 예정인데 서울 팬분들과 부를 생각에 벌써 들떠요. ‘Tiny Love’를 수천명의 관객과 같이 동시에 부른다면.. 진짜 시적이에요! 새 앨범에 수록된 ‘Tomorrow’ 또한 부를 예정이에요. 물론 다른 앨범의 곡들을 섞어서 부르기도 하겠죠!

Q. 4년만의 내한공연 인데 한국에서 즐기고 싶은 것이나 기대하는 것이 따로 있는지? 있다면 무엇인지 궁금합니다. 

서울에서 음식을 먹으면 매우 큰 만족감을 줘요. 맛있기도 하지만 다른 아시아의 큰 도시들과는 다르게 양도 어마어마하게 푸짐하고 따뜻한 인사는 덤이랍니다. 이래서 한국이 다른 나라들보다 더 특별하다 생각되어져요, 배려심과 베푸는 사람들의 영혼 때문이죠. 많은 것들을 해보고 싶은데 아마 제가 있는 동안 몇번의 모험을 영상으로 촬영하지 않을까 싶어요. 새로운 여행이나 음악에 관한 미니시리즈에 일부가 될 거에요.

Q. MIKA의 지금까지 앨범에는 정말 다양한소재의 이야기들이 포함된 곡이 많은데 어디에서 음악적 영감을 얻는지?

전 곡 작업을 하려면 무조건 혼자 있어야해요. 하지만 제 아이디어는 제가 사람들이나 카오스에 둘러쌓여 있을 때 를 떠올리며 나오죠. 그래서 제 삶을 극단적으로 두 부분으로 나누는데, 바쁜 삶과 완벽한 외로움으로 나눠요. 이렇게 하면 제가 조금이나마 더 창의적일 수 있고, 미치지 않을 수도 있죠! 최대한 많이 걸으려고 해요, 혼자만의 시간을 보내려 하고요. 저번 서울 방문때도 이틀간 도시를 혼자 돌아다니곤 했어요. 혼자 다니다 보면 더 자세한 디테일을 잡을 수 있기 때문이죠.

Q MIKA의 음악을 들으면 대중적인 멜로디, 밝은 멜로디의 음악과는 대조적으로 심오하거나 깊은 가사를 가진 곡들을 많이 볼 수 있는 것 같다. 음악을 만들 때 어떤 식으로 가사를 쓰는지 궁금하고 대부분 본인의 이야기인지 궁금하다. 

이러한 대조는 매우 유용해요. 텐션을 더하는데 쓰이죠. 하지만 그냥 서술할 수 있거나 글을 쓰는 테크닉과는 다르다고 생각해요. 제가 하루를 어떻게 살아가는지를 비춰주거든요. 저는 항상 두가지 감정을 섞어요, 많은 것들을 다루기 쉬울 수 있게 말이에요. 예를 들면, 단순히 슬픔을 넘어 많은 것들을 바라보거나 혹은 행복함으로 앞이 보이지 않던가 말이죠.
음악은 제게 스토리텔링과 같아요. 콜라보레이션 느낌도 있죠. 음악은 그냥 혼자서 할 수 있는 활동이 아니에요. 클래식 작곡가들도 그저 본인 책상에서 곡을 쓰는 듯 하지만, 실제로 연주자들이나 관객 없이는 완벽하지 못하죠. 음악은 소통할 수 있는 하나의 통로에요. 그 중요성을 저는 깨달은 후 최대한 제 자신을 표현해내려고, 이야기를 풀어내려고 노력하는 듯 해요.

Q MIKA의 지금까지의 내한공연을 보면 한국 관객들의 떼창과 호응이 정말 어마어마 했는데 한국 팬들이 본인에겐 어떤 의미를 가지는지?  

제가 한국에서 경험한 6번의 공연은 정말 특출 났답니다, 저뿐만 아니라 제 밴드 에게도요. 관중이 가지고 있는 따뜻함과 떼창 하는 그 열정, 공연때마다 준비한 서프라이즈 이벤트까지. 공연하기에 매우 특별한 곳이라고 생각돼요. 저는 항상 인터뷰때마다 한국을 향한 제 마음을 언급한답니다, 제가 세상 어디에 있던지간에요!
저는 한국어로 ‘김믹하’가 적혀진 티셔츠와 모자가 있어요. 너무 좋아서 자주 쓰고 다닌답니다! 제 이름에 저는 자부심을 느껴요. 따스하고도 인정받는 느낌이 들고, 이는 이름에서 나온 듯 해요. 15년 전에는 느끼지 못할 감정이죠. 이제는 한국에도 몇번씩이나 방문했고, 얼마나 팬 분들과 사람들이 특별한지 깨달아요. 그들이 가지고 있는 따뜻함과 배려는 매번 저를 놀랍게 해요. 절 편안하게 하고, 그게 아마 제가 뛰어난 퍼포먼스를 할 수 있는 원동력이지 않을까 싶어요. 이러한 감정, 팬 분들도 느끼지 않을까요?

Q. 끝으로 공연을 기다리는 한국 팬들에게 한마디 해주신다면? 

많은 시간동안 한국 팬분들은 공연에 다양한 서프라이즈 이벤트를 해주셨어요. 종이 비행기 이벤트 같이 말이죠.. 진짜 너무 대단하고 놀랍다 생각하고, 다른 나라의 팬 문화에 큰 영감을 줬다고 생각해요. 하지만 한국 팬들이 처음이었어요! 정말 너무 감사하다 말씀드리고 싶어요. 그런 순간들이 제 커리어를 더욱 특별하게 만든답니다. 곧 만나요! 얼마 남지 않았네요!

Spoiler

[Exclusive Interview] Mika "Music Is Storytelling To Me"

[Duff Review = Seoul] Choi Yoo-hyun Reporter = MIKA, an artist who presents fun and happy experiences to many people with colorful music and colorful performances every March 4, as part of the world tour 'Revelation' On March 5, Jamsil Indoor Gymnasium confirmed the two-day performance in Korea.

Mika won the Brit Awards 'Best British Breakthrough Act' through her 2007 debut album 'Life in Cartoon Motion', 'Grace Kelly', Grammy Awards Nomination, BBC 'Sound of 2007' Sound of 2007) 'first place, ranking in the charts in 11 countries outside the UK, and at the same time, appeared globally. In addition, his 5th album, My Name Is Michael Holbrook, released in October last year, drew a lot of empathy by uncovering his identity with sincere lyrics.

Mika, who has continued Mika-down's musical stances, had a written interview to shed light on her thoughts on music as well as a description of the concert and tour of Korea before meeting Korean fans in March. Through this written interview, I felt Mika's affection for Korea once again.

Q. Please explain about this "Revelation" world tour.

As mentioned in this tour name, I personally wanted to tell you a lot about me. I wanted to be a super gorgeous one man show. I will show it to the audience so that I can see and hear myself that I have never seen before. I think I was impressed by George Michael, Jacques Brel, and Prince. These artists, once icons, became a big driver for me. They're as cool as they are, but I'm going to unravel them with my own story. Sincere, honest and warm.

Q I would like to know if there are any messages you would like to focus on in your performance in Korea.

The generosity and generosity that Korean fans have is so special to me. They seem to know that it's the charm of the performance that the emotion lines go back and forth like riding a roller coaster. For two hours you get out of reality. This attitude and understanding of the performance seems to destroy the walls that I and the audience have every day. We hope these experiences will allow you to grow more delicately. This performance is made up of several acts. Each act is based on color or a lot of emotions I feel. It contains my personal story and family history. When you come to the show, you'll see a picture of my parents on the set!

Q. Because I'm MIKA, who always shows original performances, I'm also looking forward to this performance. Is there any special performance you are preparing for this performance? If you have a little spoiler please.

This show speaks about color. It has several chapters, and each color and emotion has a meaning. This show tells a story about my family, starting with how my parents met. Even a big picture of my parents will be on stage! I tried to capture both pop and personal feelings at the same time! This harmony is rare in pop singers' performances. My sister and I worked on sets and illustrations, and my sister Paloma also worked on costume design. Some things don't really change. We are family and team!
I'm going to sing “Tiny Love,” but I'm already excited about singing with Seoul fans. If you sing “Tiny Love” with thousands of audiences at the same time… it's a real poetic! We will also sing ‘Tomorrow’ in the new album. Of course, I will mix songs from other albums!

Q. After 4 years of performance in Korea, do you want to enjoy or expect anything else in Korea? I wonder what it is.

Eating food in Seoul is very satisfying. It's delicious, but unlike other big cities in Asia, the amount is huge and warm. This is why Korea is considered more special than other countries because of caring and giving souls. I want to do a lot of things, but maybe I'll film a few adventures while I'm there. Will be part of a new series of travel and music.

Q. So far, MIKA's albums contain so many stories from various materials. Where do you find musical inspiration?

I have to be alone to work on songs. But my idea comes to mind when I'm surrounded by people or chaos. So it divides my life into two extremes: busy life and perfect loneliness. This way I can be a bit more creative and not be crazy! I try to walk as much as possible, to spend my time alone. On my last visit to Seoul, I used to walk around the city alone for two days. Because if you go alone you can get more detail.

Q MIKA, listening to your music seems to be a lot of songs with profound or deep lyrics in contrast to popular melodies and bright melodies. When making music, I wonder how the lyrics are written and most of them are my stories.

This contrast is very useful. Used to add tension. But I think it's different from just describing or writing techniques. It reflects how I live my day. I always mix two emotions, to make things easier to handle. For example, looking beyond sorrow and seeing a lot of things, or seeing with happiness.
Music is like storytelling to me. There's a sense of collaboration. Music is not just something you can do alone. Classic composers seem to just write at their desks, but they're not perfect without the performers or the audience. Music is a way to communicate. After realizing its importance, I seem to be trying to tell myself as much as possible.

Q MIKA's performances in Korea so far have been a huge success for Korean audiences. What do Korean fans mean to you?

The six performances I have experienced in Korea have been exceptional, not only for me but also for my band. The warmth that the audience has, the passion for the crowds, and the surprise event that we prepared for each performance. I think it's a very special place to perform. I always mention my heart towards Korea every time I interview, no matter where I am in the world!
I have a T-shirt and a hat with '김미 하' written in Korean. It's so good that I use it often! I am proud of my name. It feels warm and appreciated, which seems to come from its name. It's an emotion you wouldn't feel 15 years ago. Now I've visited Korea many times, and I realize how special fans and people are. The warmth and care they have surprises me every time. It makes me comfortable, and maybe that's what drives me to do great performance. Do you feel these feelings, even fans?

Q. What would you say to Korean fans waiting for the show?

For many hours Korean fans have given us a variety of surprise events. Like a paper airplane event ... I think it's really amazing and amazing, and I've inspired a lot of fan culture in other countries. But it was my first Korean fan! I want to say thank you so much. Those moments make my career more special. See you soon! There is not much left!

• Thanks 1

News.Chosun.com

• 2020.02.20 13:25

[인터뷰]"'김믹하' 적힌 모자 자주 써 따스하고 인정받는 느낌"

"한국어로 '김믹하'가 적혀진 티셔츠와 모자가 있어요. 너무 좋아서 자주 쓰고 다닌답니다! 제 이름에 저는 자부심을 느껴요. 따스하고도 인정받는 느낌이 들고, 이는 이름에서 나온 듯해요. 15년 전에는 느끼지 못할 감정이죠."

이름의 발음 덕에 한국식 애칭 '김믹하'로 불리는 영국 싱어송라이터 미카(Mika·37)의 한국에 대한 애정은 각별하다. 그는 공연기획사 프라이빗커브를 통한 e-메일 인터뷰에서 "이제는 한국에도 몇 번씩이나 방문했고, 얼마나 팬분들과 사람들이 특별한지 깨달아요"라고 말했다.

"한국 팬들이 가지고 있는 따뜻함과 배려는 매번 저를 놀랍게 해요. 절 편안하게 하고, 그게 아마 제가 뛰어난 퍼포먼스를 할 수 있는 원동력이지 않을까 싶어요. 이러한 감정, 팬 분들도 느끼지 않을까요?"

미카의 그 '뛰어난 퍼포먼스'를 약 4년 만에 볼 수 있다. 3월 4~5일 잠실 실내체육관에서 내한공연한다. 애초 3월5일 공연만 예정했는데 티켓이 단숨에 매진, 4일 공연을 추가했다. 지난 2016년 2월 같은 장소에서 열렸던 미카의 단독 내한공연 '2016 미카 라이브 인 코리아 ? 서울'은 '팝의 천국'이었다. 관객이 함께 어우러져 자유롭게 뛰어 노는 '놀이공원' 같았다.

"역시 한국 팬분들은, 감정선이 롤러코스터 타는 것 마냥 왔다갔다 하는 것이 '공연의 매력'이라는 것을 아는 것 같아요. 두시간 동안만큼은 현실에서 벗어나요. 공연을 대하는 이런 자세와 이해가 저와 관객분들이 갖고 있는 벽들을 허무는 듯 해요. 그 이후 저희는 더욱 섬세하게 성장하죠. 정말 최고의 기분이에요!"

지금까지 한국에서 6번가량 공연했다. 공연마다 관객의 합창 열정, 서프라이즈 이벤트 등으로 한국은 공연하기에 매우 특별한 곳이라 여겨진다고 했다.

"항상 인터뷰때마다 한국을 향한 제 마음을 언급한답니다. 제가 세상 어디에 있던지 말이에요!"

이번 투어의 타이틀로 '비밀을 누설하다'라는 뜻을 지닌 '레벌레이션(Revelation)'을 내세웠다.

"개인적으로 이번에 많은 것들을 알려드리고 싶었어요. 엄청나게 화려한 원맨쇼가 되지 않을까 싶었죠. 한번도 보지 못했던 제 모습을 보고 들을 수 있도록 관객 여러분들께 꼭 보여드릴 것"이라고 예고했다.

그러면서 조지 마이클(George Michael), 잭 브렐(Jacque Brel), 그리고 프린스(Prince) 등 자신이 감명을 받은 뮤지션들의 이름을 하나씩 거명했다.

"하나의 아이콘이었던 이 아티스트들은 제가 마치 방 안에 혼자 있는 듯한 느낌을 줬어요. 이 순간 저는 제 기억과 감정적으로 하나의 마크를 남기는 듯 했죠."

자신이 느끼고 있는 많은 감정들을 기반으로 한 이번 공연에는 사적 이야기 그리고 가족사가 담겼다. 무대 세트에 자신의 부모 사진이 걸려 있다. 그의 누나는 세트와 일러스트에 참여했고 여동생은 코스튬 디자인에 힘을 보탰다. "저희 가족이 전체적으로 기획에 참여하는 공연이라 한국 팬분들도 즐겨주시면 좋겠다"고 바랐다.

2007년 데뷔 직후부터 주목받은 미카는 2010년 프랑스 문화부의 예술 기사 작위를 받았다. '빅 걸' '해피 엔딩' '롤리 팝' 등 히트곡도 여럿이다. 3옥타브 반을 넘나드는 뛰어난 가창 실력과 화려한 무대 매너는 물론 팝과 록 음악을 넘나드는 감각적인 멜로디로 인해 천재적인 음악 감각을 인정 받고 있다. 스타일리시한 옷 취향으로 패션리더로도 통한다.

한 때 '팝 지니어스'로 통했는데 이런 신동 등의 이미지가 오히려 그를 갇히게 만들지는 않을까. "물론 칭찬이라 생각하는 별명이라 매우 감사하게 생각하고 있어요. 하지만 어느 별명이 됐던 저를 제한적이고 국한적이게 만들수도 있다 생각해요"라고 확인했다.

그래서 자신이 무엇을 하는지 정확하게 이해하려면, 무대 위에서 본인이 어떤지를 보는 것이 중요하다고 판단했다.

"뮤지컬이나 신체적으로 풀어낼 수 있는 언어에 감정의 스펙트럼이 입혀졌을 때, 레퍼토리가 보이실 거에요. 모순적일 수 있는데, 갑자기 슬프다가도 미친듯이 행복하고, 수천번 뛰어다닐 수 있는 넓은 스펙트럼을 느낄 것"이라고 예고했다.

지난해 발매한 정규 5집 '마이 네임 이즈 마이클 홀브룩(My Name Is Michael Holbrook)'도 미카의 본 모습을 좀 더 느낄 수 있는 앨범이다. '마이클 홀브룩 페니먼 주니어'가 미카의 본명이다. 미카는 자신의 법적 본명이 너무 싫었다고 털어놓았다.

"제 예명이자 활동명으로 사람들이 생각해줘야 행복할 수 있다고 여겼어요. 하지만, 이는 틀렸었어요. 사실 그 반대였죠! 아티스트는 항상 두가지의 면이 있어요. 제 자신에게 물었죠. 마이클? 미카? 어느 버전이 나를 만들까? 제가 계속 성장하거나 발전하려면, 정체성을 뚜렷하게 만들어야한다 느꼈죠."

이번 앨범은 도발을 담고 있다고 설명했다. 그것은 일종의 위로로 치환된다.

"열정적이면서 양심적이며 부끄럽지 않은, 그러면서 밝은 색깔과 다양한 감정의 폭을 담고 싶었어요. 이게 바로 제가 생각하는 가장 큰 도전이에요."

최근 몇 년간 정말 잘살았다며 긍정한 미카는 최근 음악적 창의성에 집중하기 위해 많은 결정을 내렸다. 진행하던 TV 쇼를 그만둔 것이 예다.

"사건사고, 죽음, 병 등은 힘든 여건들 속에서 동시에 일어났죠. 하지만 작업하는 과정이나 창의성을 더욱 꺼내면서 강해질 수 있었고 행복할 수 있었어요. 좋은 타이 밍이었다 생각해요. 그래서 이번 앨범에는 특별한 욕구가 담겼어요."

미카의 모험은 끝나지 않는다. 한번도 찾지 못한 중남부 아프리카를 방문하고 싶다고 했다.

"그 지역에서 나오는 음악을 너무 사랑해요. 음악적으로도 비주얼적으로도 큰 영감을 얻을 수 있을 것 같아요. 공연이 가능하다면 꼭 해보고 싶고, 그냥 여행으로도 가보고 싶은 곳이랍니다!"

Spoiler

[Interview] "His hat often written with 'Kim Mik-Ha' is recognized."

"I have a T-shirt and a cap with" Gimmickha "in Korean. I like it so often that I wear it often. I feel proud of my name. I can't. "

Thanks to the name's pronunciation, the British singer-songwriter Mika (37), known as the Korean nickname 'Gim-Mik-Ha', is very affectionate about Korea. "I've been to Korea many times now and I realize how special fans and people are," he said in an e-mail interview with the performance agency private curve.

"The warmth and care that Korean fans have has surprised me every time. It makes me feel comfortable, and that's probably the driving force for me to do great performance. I don't feel these feelings, fans?"

You can see Mika's 'excellent performance' in about four years. The concert will be performed at Jamsil Indoor Gymnasium on March 4-5. Originally scheduled to perform on March 5, the ticket sold out quickly, and added a performance on the 4th. 'Mika Live in Korea 2016' Mika's solo performance in Korea in February 2016. Seoul was a pop heaven. It was like an 'amusement park' where the audience played together freely.

"As a result, Korean fans know that it's the charm of a performance that goes back and forth like riding a roller coaster. It's out of reality for two hours. This attitude and understanding of the performance It seems to break down the walls that we have. After that, we grow more delicate.

He has performed about six times in Korea so far. The performances of the chorus and the surprise events of the audience make Korea a very special place to perform.

"I always mention my heart towards Korea in interviews, where I was in the world!"

The title of this tour is 'Revelation' which means 'to reveal the secret'.

"I personally wanted to let you know a lot of things this time. I thought it would be an incredibly gorgeous one-man show. I will show it to the audience so that I can see and hear myself."

He named the names of musicians he was impressed with, including George Michael, Jacque Brel, and Prince.

"The artists, who were once icons, made me feel like I was alone in the room. At this moment, I felt like I was leaving a mark in my memory and emotion."

Based on the many emotions he is feeling, this performance includes private stories and family history. A picture of her parents is hanging on the stage set. His sister participated in sets and illustrations, and her sister helped with costume design. "Our family is a participant in overall planning, so I hope Korean fans will also enjoy it."

Mika, who was noticed shortly after his debut in 2007, received the title of Art Article of the French Ministry of Culture in 2010. There are also several hits such as Big Girl, Happy Ending and Raleigh Pop. He is recognized for his genius of music because of his excellent singing ability over three and a half octaves, his gorgeous stage manners, and his sensuous melody across pop and rock. It is also a fashion leader because of its stylish clothing taste.

At one time, it was called 'Pop Genius'. Wouldn't this image of prodigy make him trapped? "Of course, I'm very grateful for the nickname I think is a compliment, but I think it can make me limited and localized," he said.

So, to understand exactly what you are doing, it was important to see how you were on stage.

"When a spectrum of emotions is put on a musical or physical language that can be solved, you'll see a repertoire. It can be contradictory; "He said.

Last year's 5th album 'My Name Is Michael Holbrook' is also an album that can feel more of Mika. Michael Holbrook Pennyman Jr. is Mica's real name. Mika confided that he didn't like his legal real name.

"I thought I could be happy if people thought about my name and activity. But it was wrong. In fact, the opposite was true! Artists always have two sides. I asked myself. Michael? Mika? Which version? Do you want me to make it? I felt that if I wanted to continue growing or developing, I had to make it clear. "

The album described provocations. It is replaced by a kind of comfort.

"I was passionate, conscientious and not ashamed, but I wanted to capture bright colors and a wide range of emotions. This is my biggest challenge."

Affirming that she has lived really well in recent years, Mika has made many decisions lately to focus on musical creativity. For example, I quit my current TV show.

"Incidents, death, illness, etc. happened at the same time in difficult conditions. But I was able to be stronger and happy as I worked out more and more creative. I think it was a good timing. I added it. "

Mika's adventure doesn't end. He said he wanted to visit Central and South Africa, which he had never found.

"I love music from the region so much. I think it's a great inspiration, both musically and visually. If it's possible, I want to try it, or just go on a trip!"

• Thanks 1

MK.co.kr

미카 "`김믹하` 애칭에 자부심…한국팬, 커리어 특별하게 해" - 매일경제

'My name is Michael Holbrook / I was born in 1983'(내 이름은 마이클 홀브룩 / 난 1983년에 태어났지)

지난해 10월 영국 출신 팝스타 미카(MIKA·37)가 발표한 5집 '마이 네임 이즈 마이클 홀브룩' 첫 번째 트랙 '타이니 러브'(Tiny Love) 가사 일부다.

자기 이름과 출생연도를 밝힌 평범하기 그지없는 이 가사가 팬들 가슴을 울렸다. 아티스트 미카가 비로소 온전한 자기 자신인 '마이클 홀브룩'과 마주했기 때문이다.

다음 달 4년 만에 투어 '레벌레이션(Revelation)' 일환으로 한국을 찾는 미카는 20일 가진 서면 인터뷰에서 해당 앨범을 두고 "일종의 위로를 담은 앨범"이라고 말했다.

"과거엔 사람들이 제 예명인 '미카'로 저를 봐야 제가 행복해질 수 있다고 생각했죠. 하지만 이건 틀렸고, 사실 그 반대인 걸 깨달았어요. 성장하고 발전하기 위해서는 저 자신이 누군지 정체성을 뚜렷이 해야 한다고 느꼈어요."

미카는 2012년 미국의 한 매체를 통해 커밍아웃했다. 당시 그는 "성적 지향을 받아들이고 공개할 수 있는 용기를 갖게 된 건 오로지 내 음악 때문이다. 이것이 진짜 나이고 내 인생"이라며 동성애자임을 고백했다.

이후 작업해 만든 앨범에서 점점 더 솔직하고 과감한 메타포를 담았고, 자신에 대한 사랑을 드러냈다.

"전 최근 몇 년간 정말 '잘' 살았어요. 열심히 노력했고, 음악과 창의성에 더 집중하려고 많은 생각을 한 후에 결정을 내렸죠. 그러면서 더 행복하게 됐고, 삶이 어떤지 이해하게 됐고, 무엇이 중요한지 깨달았어요."

그는 2007년 경쾌한 팝 사운드 '그레이스 켈리'(Grace Kelly)로 데뷔해 어느덧 자신의 내면을 들여다보는 아티스트로 성장했다.

'롤리팝'(Lollipop), '해피 엔딩'(Happy Ending), '포퓰러 송'(Popular Song) 등 히트곡을 여럿 냈고, 평론가들로부터 '팝 천재'라는 수식어까지 얻었다.

4옥타브를 넘나드는 가창력과 무대 위를 뛰어다니며 분출하는 넘치는 끼를 보며 그를 '제2의 프레디 머큐리'라 칭하는 사람도 있다.

그러나 이러한 비교에 미카는 손을 내저었다.

"저는 그 별명을 듣고 싶지 않아요. 사실이 아니기 때문이에요. 비교란 매우 위험하다고 생각해요. 저는 프레디 머큐리의 '빅 팬'이지만, 팬이기에 그와 비교하고 싶지 않아요."

미카는 2009년을 시작으로 지금까지 총 6번 한국 무대에 올랐다.

무대 위에나 혹은 SNS에서 한국어로 팬들과 소통하면서 국내 팬들로부터 '김믹하'라는 애칭까지 얻었다.

"'김믹하'라는 말이 쓰인 티셔츠와 모자가 있는데 너무 좋아서 자주 쓰고 다녀요. 이 이름에 자부심을 느끼죠. 따스하고 인정받는 듯한 기분이 들어요."

팬들도 미카의 한국 사랑에 화답했다. 당초 미카의 내한 공연은 다음 달 5일 하루만 예정됐지만 치열한 예매 경쟁으로 단숨에 매진됐다. 결국 4일 하루 더 무대에 서기로 결정했다.

"지금까지 한국에서의 공연은 정말 특별했어요. 따뜻함과 떼창을 하는 열정, 공연 때마다 선사한 서프라이즈 이벤트까지. 매우 감사하고 그런 순간들이 제 커리어를 더욱 특별하게 만들어요. 이번 공연에서도 함께 미친 듯이 놀고 즐겼으면 좋겠습니다."

Spoiler

Mika is proud of his nickname “Kim Mik-Ha”… Korean fans make their careers special

'My name is Michael Holbrook / I was born in 1983' (My name is Michael Holbrook / I was born in 1983)

This is part of the first track of 'My Name Is Michael Holbrook', the first track 'Tiny Love' released by British pop star MIKA (37) last October.

The lyrics uttered his name and year of birth rang the fans' hearts. This is because artist Mika finally encountered Michael Holbrook, himself.

Mika, who visits Korea as part of the tour 'Revelation' in four years next month, said in a written interview on the 20th that the album is "a kind of comforting album."

"In the past, I thought I could be happy when people watched me with my stage name," Mika. "But it was wrong and I realized the opposite was true. I felt that I had to be clear about who I was in order to grow and develop. . "

Mika came out in 2012 through a US media. At that time he confessed that he was gay because he was "courageous to accept and disclose sexual orientation. It was my music.

Since then, he has made more and more honest and daring metaphors in his albums, revealing his love for himself.

"I've been really" well "in recent years. I've worked hard, and after thinking a lot to focus on music and creativity, I made a decision.

He debuted in 2007 as a pop pop sound, Grace Kelly, who grew up to be an insider.

He wrote several hits such as Lollipop, Happy Ending, and Popular Song, and even earned modifiers from pop critics.

Some people call him 'the second Freddie Mercury' because of their vocal powers that cross over four octaves and the gushing splatters on the stage.

However, Mika shook hands in this comparison.

"I don't want to hear that nickname. Because it's not true. I think the comparison is very dangerous. I'm a big fan of Freddie Mercury, but I don't want to compare with him."

Mika has been on the Korean stage six times since 2009.

While on the stage or communicating with fans in Korean on SNS, I earned the nickname 'Gim-micha' from domestic fans.

"I have a T-shirt and a hat with the word 'Gimmickha' and I like it so much that I wear it often. I feel proud of this name. I feel warm and acclaimed."

Fans also responded to Mika's love for Korea. Originally, Mika's concert in Korea was scheduled for one day on the 5th of next month, but sold out quickly due to a fierce ticketing competition. Eventually, I decided to go on stage four more days.

"So far, the performances in Korea have been so special. The warmth, the enthusiasm for the roaring, the surprise events that come with each performance. I'm very grateful and those moments make my career even more special. I wish

On 2/22/2020 at 1:06 AM, mellody said:

Thank you @mellody and @Sabine64 for your replies. Anyway, I was wondering why there is no gig in Germany. Isn’t Mika famous there?