Christmas 2021

Prisca

13 hours ago, Hero said:

Words fail me. Chocolate orange mayonnaise. :puking:

heinz-terrys-chocolate-orange-mayo-jar-1638288077.thumb.jpg.fff0cd75168299cbda0d1179a6e5390b.jpg

MAYONNAISE!!

13 hours ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

That sounds disgusting! Yuck.

I like chocolate orange and I like mayo but together?! NO!!! That's just wrong. 

I did actually see this on tv this morning and there is a competition to win a jar of it! 

NGPMXM7R65D5VDSETLS4FK4PFE.jpg

• Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...

This is Mika's crazy camel world and we're just living in it! :lmfao:

Seeing as camels are seen as Christmassy animals I thought I'd share this story! 😁

Runaway Camel in Kansas

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10291697/Runaway-camel-causes-chaos-breaking-free-live-drive-nativity-scene.html

Video:

It didn't want to be in a nativity, the camel wanted to take part in a Mika concert instead! 🤣

🐫 🐪 🐫 

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

This is Mika's crazy camel world and we're just living in it! :lmfao:

Seeing as camels are seen as Christmassy animals I thought I'd share this story! 😁

Runaway Camel in Kansas

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10291697/Runaway-camel-causes-chaos-breaking-free-live-drive-nativity-scene.html

Video:

It didn't want to be in a nativity, the camel wanted to take part in a Mika concert instead! 🤣

🐫 🐪 🐫 

:floor: 

• Like 2

On 11/28/2021 at 3:33 PM, Prisca said:

I always had Advent calendars like that as a child. I liked the Advent calendars, but not really the chocolate inside. :teehee:

Yes, even good Swiss chocolate couldn't convince me as a child. :lol3:

Muy daughter has an Advent calendar with beauty products and make up inside  :yes:

• Like 2

In our village they have decorated the traffic bollards with various pantomime characters, including Aladdin, Captain Hook, the Fairy Godmother from Cinderella (with pumpkin and mice)

1009989975_DSC03948(3).thumb.JPG.3b9d52e8ddcdab8a1db32e436b75bc90.JPG

a witch, Jack and the Beanstalk, a good fairy, Red Riding Hood, and Puss in Boots

500839260_DSC03945(2).thumb.JPG.7e334d60bfcd3824d819a2581dc0256a.JPG

• Like 5

I've always loved the Advent tradition (it comes from attending Waldorf/Steiner schools as a child). I haven't done the calendar or the chocolate in a while though. Pretty much my only nod to Advent these days is making my own wreath, with candles, miniature animals, crystals, flowers, rainbows, whatever I feel like putting into it. I also love celebrating all 12 days of Christmas, which takes the pressure off just having the one day.

On a related but slightly different note, I just posted a Christmas/Mika mashup poem under General Chin-Wagging. If it makes more sense to add it to this thread, by all means do so. I'm brand-new to this site and still getting used to general posting etiquette. So far I'm loving all the comments I've been reading - what a great community Mika seems to have built up over the years. :)

Edited by Aki Celeste
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, giraffeandy said:

Christmas aloe vera :newyear:

20211219_165204.thumb.jpg.4a26102d9d44e6dc3e77a0259b95c972.jpg

I love this! Succulents are my favourite plants, I've been trying to convince my mum to get a 4ft cactus to decorate for Christmas instead of a tree but she's having none of it! 😅

Also your Pusheen dinocat is doing an excellent job at protecting your CD collection! (I spot Mika at the top!)

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

I love this! Succulents are my favourite plants, I've been trying to convince my mum to get a 4ft cactus to decorate for Christmas instead of a tree but she's having none of it! 😅

Also your Pusheen dinocat is doing an excellent job at protecting your CD collection! (I spot Mika at the top!)

Cool, I'd love to decorate a huge palm tree. :biggrin2: 

I forgot that all MFCers are detectives (and sometimes even stalkers :teehee:). Unfortunately, I don't use this CD shelf a lot (only for "handmade" CDs for digital releases like Live at Brooklyn Steel or Versailles) because it's near the window and the sun used to make the covers lighter so I have my CD collection on a shelf that is better protected from the sun. Fun fact - I have there a Pusheen too. :lmfao: (But Mika has his own special shelf...).

• Like 3

Finally put our tree up - I decided on a red/gold/green colour scheme this year, only to discover I had no red or gold or green tinsel :doh:

Hope I can track some down before Christmas (local shops seem to be out of tinsel :sad: )

• Like 2

Tuesday 21 December - the winter solstice in the northern hemisphere, marking the start of the winter season and also the day with the least daylight hours. So good news, after today it starts getting lighter again in the evenings! 

OK it's only a few minutes difference, but it builds up and signals the approach of spring! Yay!! :cheer:

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Hero said:

Tuesday 21 December - the winter solstice in the northern hemisphere, marking the start of the winter season and also the day with the least daylight hours. So good news, after today it starts getting lighter again in the evenings! 

OK it's only a few minutes difference, but it builds up and signals the approach of spring! Yay!! :cheer:

Today is actually one of my favourite days of the year, as someone who suffers from SAD (and not just in winter!), I always look forward to seeing the changes in the sunset times on the weather reports. It's only a little thing but it makes me so happy!! 🌞 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

Today is actually one of my favourite days of the year, as someone who suffers from SAD (and not just in winter!), I always look forward to seeing the changes in the sunset times on the weather reports. It's only a little thing but it makes me so happy!! 🌞 

SAD-ists unite! Oh wait, that came out wrong... :D What I mean to say is, I never thought about it that way before, but I think this is part of the reason why I look forward to the solstice so much myself. It brings some sense of structure and the possibility of change to the dark days of winter, rather than feeling completely bogged down by it. I actually tend to feel more joy during the winter than in the summer sometimes - maybe because it's the opposite, where the days are growing shorter? :confused:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Aki Celeste said:

It brings some sense of structure and the possibility of change to the dark days of winter, rather than feeling completely bogged down by it. I actually tend to feel more joy during the winter than in the summer sometimes - maybe because it's the opposite, where the days are growing shorter? :confused:

I know what you mean, I can now look forward to Spring, my favourite season!

I do like Summer but SAD can affect me then too, I can't stand heatwaves (which are rare in the UK but do happen!), and towards the end of Summer my stupid brain is already thinking about the dark days to come. Then my mood can change so much! 

I just want constant daylight, is that too much to ask? 😅

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

I know what you mean, I can now look forward to Spring, my favourite season!

I do like Summer but SAD can affect me then too, I can't stand heatwaves (which are rare in the UK but do happen!), and towards the end of Summer my stupid brain is already thinking about the dark days to come. Then my mood can change so much! 

I just want constant daylight, is that too much to ask? 😅

Heat waves are the worst. I'm sensitive enough to warm temperatures that even when there isn't a heat wave going on (they are relatively rare where I live too, in New England), it throws off my sleep cycle and turns me into a zombie pretty much all summer long. Take that part of it out and keep the sunshine, and I'd have a much better time. Maybe I should've stayed in California when I had the chance... but then I'd miss out on the changing leaves and the snow! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Prisca said:

I wish everyone a Merry Christmas. :group_hug:

:newyear:

camel GIF

If you hear a heavier hoof sound on your roof tonight it might just be Santa Mika with his Christmas camel! 🐫 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

If my local supermarket has lemons in next week I'm making a New Year lucky piglet! 🍋 🐖 

This is what they look like:

DSaQnAdW0AAchrh.thumb.jpeg.6f1f81b18256405bc61865d6237e472a.jpeg

20211224_224402.jpg.b2e62127aa2e42336a2666367651fef6.jpg

I think the idea is to leave it out somewhere on New Year's eve and if it's still holding the penny in the morning then it will bring you good luck! (at least that's what my friend said 😅)

If I do make one I'll be sure to take a picture!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

I think the idea is to leave it out somewhere on New Year's eve and if it's still holding the penny in the morning then it will bring you good luck! (at least that's what my friend said 😅)

I was wondering what the point of making a lemon piglet might be, let alone who thought up the idea. :D Super cute tradition, and one I'd never heard of until now!

• Like 2