Sweetie Banana - Song and Lyrics Discussion

4 hours ago, Hero said:

Oh, I can't wait to see Mika's sweet banana on stage. :pinkbow:

He can't play all the songs from the new album (I think) and this is one I don't necessarily need to hear live, tbh. But... well, I wanted to write something about dancing and post the dancing banana emoji that I think we once had here (didn't we? :blink:), but with the direction this thread is taking right now, I'm not sure that's a good idea. :facepalm:

On 12/1/2023 at 12:18 PM, carafon said:

No "fesses" but "ivresse" so I feel like one of the double meanings is about coconut cocktails:naughty:

And what about " Bonbons dans mon bain" ......:teehee::lmao:

Did he change that since the summer festivals, or did we understand it wrong? I mean... he does sing about fesses in AC, so we didn't really get it wrong, it was just the wrong song. :teehee: And, um, no comment about the bonbons. It's actually hard to stay away from the NC while talking about these lyrics. :lmfao:

On 12/4/2023 at 10:14 PM, crazyaboutmika said:

SWEETIE BANANA

Coco on my lips
A caramel/toffee heart
Into broken arms
Sweet and tender intoxication
I liked you a lot but I've got to go

Bye bye sweety banana 
It's so good, how
 How we let go here/how we let go of each other
Bye bye sweety banana
 I know your address 
Bye bye sweety banana 
It's so good, how
 How we let go here/how do we let go of each other  
Bye bye sweety banana 
I know your address 

Sweets in my bath  
Melting in my hands
 To escape from me better
Undercover pleasures
All these love words
Still left to be peeled off

It's so good, how
 Why do we leave each other
It's so good why do we leave each other

I'm wondering about some things... like "sweet and tender intoxication", it says "ton", that's "your", no? So it would be "sweet is your intoxication"? - I'm just not sure whether it's active or passive, like does the other one intoxicate him, or does he find it sweet that the other one is intoxicated? Does that become clear from the French words?

And the "love words still left to be peeled off" - is there a double meaning intended? Because in my online dictionary it says that éplucher can also mean taking a closer look at something - so the "peeling" would be the reference to the banana, but what he really means is that the love words have to be looked at closely to see if they're really true. Does that make sense?

It's a shame that so many details get lost in translation, that's also the reason why I haven't added the translations to the comprehensive lyrics yet, I feel that only by the mix of the automated translations, the human translations, my own research, and the discussions about it, I can really grasp the meaning of all those French lyrics - and then my English often isn't good enough to put all those details into the translation, without long explanations. I did it when I translated Bougez into German the other day, with a (*) saying "it can also mean...", but that's not really ideal either. Anyway, I love how we're all working together here, to try and make those details understandable for the non-French speakers. :wub2:

• Like 5

On 12/6/2023 at 9:23 AM, CharlotteL said:

Whenever someone tells me Sweetie Banana isn't really for them I'm like "but what about the little bye byes" 🥹

:dunno_grin: dunno why I'm not so thrilled by that, maybe just because I prefer to hear Hello from Mika instead of Bye Bye? :lol3:

1 minute ago, holdingyourdrink said:

:pbjt:

Ah, there it is! I was looking for that but couldn't find it! :doh: 

9 minutes ago, holdingyourdrink said:

:pbjt:

9 minutes ago, holdingyourdrink said:

I CAN’T BELIEVE I JUST DID THAT :lol3:

I can. :naughty:

All this time, I didn't realize that was his banana! :blink:

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, mellody said:

:dunno_grin: dunno why I'm not so thrilled by that, maybe just because I prefer to hear Hello from Mika instead of Bye Bye? :lol3:

Whaat but he even said it to you personally, that would be my favourite phrase ever if I were you :D

14 hours ago, mellody said:

I'm wondering about some things... like "sweet and tender intoxication", it says "ton", that's "your", no? So it would be "sweet is your intoxication"? - I'm just not sure whether it's active or passive, like does the other one intoxicate him, or does he find it sweet that the other one is intoxicated? Does that become clear from the French words?

And the "love words still left to be peeled off" - is there a double meaning intended? Because in my online dictionary it says that éplucher can also mean taking a closer look at something - so the "peeling" would be the reference to the banana, but what he really means is that the love words have to be looked at closely to see if they're really true. Does that make sense?

Great questions, you made me think about the song in great detail again!!

Interestingly, when I translate it to German it sounds like the other person is intoxicated and he finds that sweet (Süß ist dein Rausch) but in English it sounds like the other person intoxicates him (Sweet is your intoxication). Even though it's pretty much the same three words, it evokes a completely different image in me, languages are wild!

My guess is that both is possible though and it's open for interpretation.

I love the lyric "Tous ces mots d’amour restent à éplucher" for its double meaning, obviously a fitting metaphor and you're right about the other meaning. A similar word in English would be "dismantle" I think, analyzing the words deeply and taking them apart to get to the core of the issue.

To me it sounds like the song is about a brief romance, like a summer fling, that is fun and thrilling but on closer inspection, something is not quite right, so they have to leave each other.

I feel like there's a lot of ambivalence in it as well and even the idea that maybe he'll take his decision back and go see the other person again ("I know your address").

Could there also be a double meaning in "on se laisse"? Could it mean leave each other but also "let go" as in "When we're together, we just let ourselves go and that's so nice" and only later it changes into "If it's good, why do we leave each other"?

• Like 3

19 hours ago, mellody said:

Did he change that since the summer festivals, or did we understand it wrong? I mean... he does sing about fesses in AC, so we didn't really get it wrong, it was just the wrong song. 

I've listened to the videos taken in Talance again , and I realy don't believe that he changed the lyrics ...... 

The sound was just not good , and our minds directed in the wrong direction .......could it be  because of the banana ?????? :wink2:

About the double meaning of "éplucher" : for exemple we can say "éplucher le journal "  that means reading very carefully every single part . 

About the intoxication , if we imagine that coco+banana could (also)  be a cocktail with alcohol , " douce est ton ivresse" may describe his situation after drinking it 

5 hours ago, CharlotteL said:

Could there also be a double meaning in "on se laisse"? Could it mean leave each other but also "let go" as in "When we're together, we just let ourselves go and that's so nice" and only later it changes into "If it's good, why do we leave each other"?

The fact that he says " on se laisse là" instead of "on se laisse " makes me feel that you're right 

Edited by carafon
  • Thanks 1

On 1/4/2024 at 7:53 PM, Hero said:

Oh, I can't wait to see Mika's sweet banana on stage. :pinkbow:

Here am I to save your soul  ......:devil:

In French "avoir la banane" means having a huge smile . :naughty:

Edited by carafon
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, carafon said:

Here am I to save your soul  ......:devil:

In French "avoir la banane" means having a huge smile . :naughty:

:whew: This is also very appropriate for him.  :angelnot:  :naughty: