The Piano Renewed for Second Series

Kumazzz

10 hours ago, mellody said:

And I can definitely see now why the reviews are saying that they put too much emphasis on the back stories.

Yeah that's definitely a fair point. I already wished for them to put more emphasis on the playing last year but since I was prepared for it this year it didn't bother me as much even though you might be right that there's even more emphasis on the backstories this year.

Anyway, the pianists who really moved me were Ellis and Fred, but also the blind guy with the guide dog. With the autistic kid it felt a bit too much as if they were trying to get a 2nd Lucy. Personally I didn't feel his performance, although ofc it was very good. Unlike Mika, I also enjoyed the cat song. :teehee: I think I'd have picked Ellis, for the combination of his playing and his back story. I hope that being on the show gets him some chances.

I find it really cool and interesting how different everyone's opinions are on their favourites (please keep them coming). I mean it makes total sense, it's such a subjective thing and of course you just intuitively connect more with some than others.
And especially if you chose based on a combination of playing and backstory, that's gonna be messy.

I personally really liked the little boy (Ethan?!), I felt his piano playing was just qualitatively the best especially for his age and I loved the ease with which he played.

And can I just say, Mika lying Lang Lang straight to his face without blinking (about ABBA), wtf?! :blink: I'll never believe him a word anymore. :facepalm: Besides, he's being a bit too snobbish for my liking about these cultural differences between them.

Now this I don't feel at all!!

I thought he looked quite mischievous when he said Nirvana and I think Lang Lang knows just enough about pop music to know that Mika was joking as soon as she started playing :D

And I don't think he comes across as snobbish. I mean we know winding people up is kind of his love language and the fact that he keeps teasing Lang Lang shows me that he's comfortable around him. And I feel like it's clearly fake outrage coming from Mika when he acts shocked that Lang Lang doesn't know what Marmite is or has never tasted a pasty. He's clearly aware that it's absolutely fine and normal for a Chinese person to not be familiar with these British things.

But that's just how I perceive it of course.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, CharlotteL said:

And I feel like it's clearly fake outrage coming from Mika when he acts shocked that Lang Lang doesn't know what Marmite is or has never tasted a pasty. He's clearly aware that it's absolutely fine and normal for a Chinese person to not be familiar with these British things.

But that's just how I perceive it of course.

I've been to Britain quite a few times and have been teaching English with British coursebooks for years but I I didn't know what Marmite and pasties were until a few days ago. 😄  From the name I would have associated pasties with something sweet

(thinking of pastries).

2 hours ago, CharlotteL said:

I find it really cool and interesting how different everyone's opinions are on their favourites (please keep them coming).

I agree, it is interesting to understand the views of other on this. Personally, I agree with Duncan going through. I feel that he did play well and his illness and his age as well as the self-composition did ‘tick all the boxes’ for what the show is about. However, I feel there were others that deserved to go through too. My personal preference, in terms of those that evoked emotion in me, were Salome and Fred.

With the programme more generally, I loved the first series and wondered what Mika and Lang Lang knew of the contestants before they played. From series two it seems that they certainly know a bit about their background. I was fortunate to see some of the recording in Edinburgh and, even though I was close to the piano, I couldn’t hear the interview with Claudia so I was just hearing the piano being played. Personally, I think it’s nice not to know beforehand, then you are just hearing the piano and everyone is equal. However, this approach benefits those that are technically more proficient or who have had more training/practice.  

On balance, the programme probably have it right, but I worry that there may have been good pianists excluded from the show because they didn’t have a back story.

It is quite nice that Mika and Lang Lang come out of hiding during the filming – you can see how much it means to the contestants. (It was thrilling being in the audience too seeing them so close!)

12 hours ago, mellody said:

And can I just say, Mika lying Lang Lang straight to his face without blinking (about ABBA), wtf?! :blink: 

So this made me laugh during the programme. Mika and Lang Lang are in that room together for hours so I’m sure the cutting room floor is filled with funny moments that didn’t make the final version of the episode. There is no malice there, they clearly get on well and I’m sure Lang Lang gives as good as he gets!

I love this show and can’t wait for the next episode!

• Like 5

Although I don’t agree with the bad reviews, I do see what they’re talking about. Like Karin said, as if they are trying to recreate a Harry moment or a Lucy moment from the first series.

However, I think there are many like Harry and Duncan (either living with a spouse with dementia or suffering from it yourself), I think there are also many like Lucy and Ethan who are on the autism spectrum. I believe the whole series puts the emphasis on how there are so many people from EVERY walk of life (coming from a bad neighbourhood, single parent household and no money…. to a law student… to a man who has lost his sight… to someone who was self taught in lockdown) can play the same instrument. How it connects, how it allows us to communicate without words and how much it provokes in us, even as bystanders in a train station. (Did I get a full card in the Mika-bingo-words? :biggrin2:

Also, I agree with CharlotteL and ACG, there is clearly no malice between Mika and Lang Lang. I also believe it was completely cut out of context to make it fit into the time restriction of 40 mins of show, I would’ve actually loved to see like a blooper reel of worst and funniest moments between those two per station. There is so much banter between Claudia, Mika and Lang Lang that I could watch that for an entire episode’s worth alone! 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, CharlotteL said:

Now this I don't feel at all!!

I thought he looked quite mischievous when he said Nirvana and I think Lang Lang knows just enough about pop music to know that Mika was joking as soon as she started playing :D

1 hour ago, ACG said:

this made me laugh during the programme. Mika and Lang Lang are in that room together for hours so I’m sure the cutting room floor is filled with funny moments that didn’t make the final version of the episode. There is no malice there, they clearly get on well and I’m sure Lang Lang gives as good as he gets!

1 hour ago, holdingyourdrink said:

I agree with CharlotteL and ACG, there is clearly no malice between Mika and Lang Lang. I also believe it was completely cut out of context to make it fit into the time restriction of 40 mins of show, I would’ve actually loved to see like a blooper reel of worst and funniest moments between those two per station. There is so much banter between Claudia, Mika and Lang Lang that I could watch that for an entire episode’s worth alone! 

Exactly. It was a funny moment showing Mika's naughty side and the closeness of their relationship. They're happy to tease each other. And as soon as they started to discuss it seriously after the performance, he clarified that it was an Abba song. The thought of Nirvana writing a song like that.. :lmfao: And we've seen in previous episodes that LL enjoys a joke. Look at the snow globe with his face on. :lol3:

I never even thought about a blooper reel. OMG that would be hilarious. Fingers crossed they're saving those bits for an end of series special! :crossed: :lmao:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I know there's no malice between them, I just meant from a reviewer's point of view who maybe just skims through and only judges by this scene. Which ofc they shouldn't. And yes, Mika and Lang Lang surely do have the same sense of humour, I have no doubt they get along with each other very well. It's just not MY sense of humour to lie to someone's face if they don't know something. :dunno_grin: (and my "wtf" refers to Mika being able to lie with a completely straight face - he's obviously a better actor than we thought :naughty:)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Hero said:

Ohh, I recognize a couple of those contestants, this is going to be a good episode! :glasses::thumb_yello:

Not to be a buzzkill but would you mind putting these kinds of posts in a spoiler warning thingy?

I like reading this thread for the discussions on previous episodes but would like to be surprised as much as possible in future episodes :)

Not to be a buzzkill but would you mind putting these kinds of posts in a spoiler warning thingy?

I like reading this thread for the discussions on previous episodes but would like to be surprised as much as possible in future episodes :)

Done! Sorry, didn't realize it was a spoiler. 

• Like 1

https://www.channel4.com/press/news/incredibly-talented-lucy-series-1-winner-piano-words-her-mother-and-teacher

Interesting interviews with Lucy Illingworth's mother and Daniel Bath, her music teacher. You'll find out why Daniel didn't appear with Lucy in the Coronation Concert.  Also, this is what Daniel said about the production team:

The people who worked with us bent over backwards to listen and to understand Lucy’s needs, which is vitally important. They were good at that. A lot of people don’t understand how much you have to adapt to her complex needs. And they looked after her family, and me, really well. 

And I really liked this:

One of the great things about the TV programme is it’s an opportunity for Lucy to serve people. If you have such complex needs, you spend all your time being looked after and having people running around after you. It’s really important, and really nice, to be able to do something where you can just give something to people, and that’s what she did. It was all her, no-one else, doing that. It was a really special thing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Last year concert pianist and author of 6 books  Susan Tomes  posted a very positive review of The Pianohttps://www.susantomes.com/blog/channel-4-the-piano-lang-lang-mika/ ).  

This year she seems less enthusiastic because of the emphasis on backstories:

https://www.susantomes.com/blog/the-piano-tv-show-back-stories/

This reviewer instead doesn't mind that the pianists'  personal lives feature so heavily in the series:

https://www.irishnews.com/entertainment/tv-review-the-piano-shows-how-music-can-bring-happiness-despite-difficulties-a-person-faces-in-life-CLM5476L5RFGNKO2Y6LEE5MV5A/

I'd give more space to the piano playing too but I get why Mika and Lang Lang decided to select Duncan for the finale. 

This afternoon I checked out Ted Talks and found two presentations on how music can help you cope when you have dementia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6s-7j_LDecY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9V1HJpn-r5Y

The two speakers have worked together.

• Like 2

Thing is, it's all subjective. Some will prefer more music, some want to see more of the back stories, some want the judges to stay hidden, some like that they can be more involved now... There's no single answer that will please everybody. Even series 1, which to me was pretty much perfect, had complainers and naysayers. 

Hopefully most people will watch and appreciate it for what it is - a warm hearted show about people from various circumstances who are united in their love of  playing the piano. And to see the naughty boys and their auntie. :teehee:

• Like 4

I liked the 2nd episode more than the first, it felt more natural somehow. And I was very curious who they would choose, all their favourites really would have deserved to be in the final concert. I think I'd have chosen Teddy or Anton or Bill (was that his name? The guy with the piano bike). And the men's choir, wow. I was totally with Mika in my emotions, goosebumps the moment they started singing and tears in my eyes when it continued. Such a powerful and magical moment. :tears: :wub2:

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, mellody said:

Bill (was that his name? The guy with the piano bike).

That was Phil, I'm gonna have the conker song stuck in my head now! :lol:

(Along with the line "I love your chihuahua" 🙈).

17 minutes ago, mellody said:

I liked the 2nd episode more than the first, it felt more natural somehow.

I feel the opposite, episode 2 was funnier and still had a lot of emotion behind it but I feel like there wasn't enough focus on the piano playing this time.

Obviously I already knew who was going to be chosen but I'm still surprised Mika and Lang Lang didn't put through any other performer. Katie and Anton were amongst my favourites too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I loved this second episode so much!! I mean in the beginning I was more skeptical than ever to be honest because there seemed to be even more focus on backstories instead of playing. But I felt like that changed about 1/3 through the episode like it suddenly took a complete turn and suddenly we just heard the talents play and that's what provoked all these emotions and I was crying the whole way through the second half basically. So many magical moments to use Mika bingo terms :D

I also need to apologize to @crazyaboutmika (I think it was) whom I accused of posting spoilers cause I thought her comment implied that several talents were going to get picked in Cardiff. I now realize you might have just meant you saw some of talents in the audience.

I also watched some of the documentary that was on right afterwards about Lucy and it's fascinating. It shows more of her daily life and her personality really comes through and about her teacher Daniel and the other kids he teaches as well.

• Like 2

That was a brilliant episode, more piano playing, more emotion, they're back baby, yeah! :cheer:

Kudos to Phil for single handedly breaking the format and probably giving the producers an aneurysm. "Has the piano ever helped you through a difficult time?" "Ahh... no." :blink::lmao::clap:

Mika getting teary-eyed at the choir. 🥹 Such a lovely moment. 

That was amazing. Too much for me to process right now, I need to watch it again. 

41 minutes ago, CharlotteL said:

I also need to apologize to @crazyaboutmika (I think it was) whom I accused of posting spoilers cause I thought her comment implied that several talents were going to get picked in Cardiff. I now realize you might have just meant you saw some of talents in the audience.

That was me. :bye: No worries!

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Kumazzz said:

Thank you!  I  don't know how to use a vpn so I I haven't watched episode 2 yet. I'm trying to avoid reading comments or reviews to avoid spoilers

• Like 2

Nerys got a mention on the Lorraine show this morning!

And then Teddy was a guest on This Morning too, he talked about his experience and played a piece on the piano as well 😊

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1