The Piano Renewed for Second Series

Kumazzz

3 hours ago, Kumazzz said:

A Bitter REVIEW

I haven't watched yesterday's episode yet, but it sounds like the writer of this review would prefer something like X Factor. :facepalm: But well, some of the other reviews aren't as enthusiastic either as they were for the first series. So, those of you who watched it, what would you say, is it still as great as the first series? I assume the filming experience was, as Mika said... but they can do so much with the cut, make it amazing or ruin it - and I remember I wasn't too thrilled about the way they cut it the first time round, so I wonder how it is this time?

• Like 1

Channel 4

The new search to unearth more of the UK's most exciting amateur pianists begins with a classically trained boxer, a dance DJ with the voice of an angel, and an 80-year-old romantic

• Like 4
  • Thanks 6

Mhm I really don't understand where these negative reviews are suddenly coming from.

I mean I don't even disagree with all the points they are making, but all of these are things that could have been criticized about the first series as well. It even took me some getting used to it in the first series, I was also surprised that there was more emphasis on the background stories than the actual playing and that sometimes it was cut so that you could barely see and hear their performance at all.

But again, all of that isn't new, I don't think the second series is much different. I enjoy it more now that I know what I'm in for. They're very open and honest about it and have explicitly said it's a show about the stories of people who play the piano, not a piano competition. Now that I know that, I can embrace it.

So maybe the reason that negative reviews are coming out now is that it's already such a hit, so that's the controversial thing to write now. Last year "this niche little show is surprisingly good" was a great headline, this year it's "this well beloved show is surprisingly bad".

And any reviewer who thinks that Mika and Lang Lang have bad chemistry is clearly not to be taken seriously ;)

• Like 11

31 minutes ago, CharlotteL said:

Mhm I really don't understand where these negative reviews are suddenly coming from.

I mean I don't even disagree with all the points they are making, but all of these are things that could have been criticized about the first series as well. It even took me some getting used to it in the first series, I was also surprised that there was more emphasis on the background stories than the actual playing and that sometimes it was cut so that you could barely see and hear their performance at all.

But again, all of that isn't new, I don't think the second series is much different. I enjoy it more now that I know what I'm in for. They're very open and honest about it and have explicitly said it's a show about the stories of people who play the piano, not a piano competition. Now that I know that, I can embrace it.

So maybe the reason that negative reviews are coming out now is that it's already such a hit, so that's the controversial thing to write now. Last year "this niche little show is surprisingly good" was a great headline, this year it's "this well beloved show is surprisingly bad".

And any reviewer who thinks that Mika and Lang Lang have bad chemistry is clearly not to be taken seriously ;)

How The Piano is portrayed now as opposed to last year: It’s a clear example of how a perspective change is so random, to be honest. And for the media to treat it like that, they should be ashamed of themselves. Then again: at least they are talking about it, it could also happen that people will then be curious and may be watching it just to see if the media is right. Of course they are not, but hey, bad press is still press, no? :doh:

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Kumazzz said:

While someone else wrote: 'First episode of The Piano was simply wonderful! Duncan stole my heart as he did at the final concert too. The camaraderie between Claudia, Mika and Lang Lang is always lovely to see as well.' ( @TinyLove_CJ )

First time having a tweet used for an online newspaper, that was a surprise to me! :lol:

• Like 5

Duncan and his wife will be guests on tomorrow's This Morning show! I'll be keeping an eye out for it 😊

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Hmm.  I think I would have liked to have heard more of the piano playing.  Duncan's story was heartwarming, but I wasn't that impressed by his playing.  I thought Fred or Ellis or Salome should have gone through.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, silver said:

Hmm.  I think I would have liked to have heard more of the piano playing.  Duncan's story was heartwarming, but I wasn't that impressed by his playing.  I thought Fred or Ellis or Salome should have gone through.

I agree. I really liked Salome's performance in particular.

Thank you so much!! 

8 hours ago, Kumazzz said:

Channel 4

The new search to unearth more of the UK's most exciting amateur pianists begins with a classically trained boxer, a dance DJ with the voice of an angel, and an 80-year-old romantic

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SusanT said:

It didn't work for me either

Nope, not for me either. And I tried to record while I was watching it, but the recording came out with only audio no video. So I'm grateful to @Kumazzz for downloading it!

12 hours ago, mellody said:

I haven't watched yesterday's episode yet, but it sounds like the writer of this review would prefer something like X Factor. :facepalm: But well, some of the other reviews aren't as enthusiastic either as they were for the first series. So, those of you who watched it, what would you say, is it still as great as the first series? I assume the filming experience was, as Mika said... but they can do so much with the cut, make it amazing or ruin it - and I remember I wasn't too thrilled about the way they cut it the first time round, so I wonder how it is this time?

Obviously, I feel like the more Mika the better, but I did wish for a bit more piano playing as I was watching last night.

But overall I thought the show had the same vibe as the first series, the same sensibilities. I still enjoyed it very much.

11 hours ago, Kumazzz said:

Channel 4

:flowers2:

3 hours ago, silver said:

I don't know how I would have chosen, TBH. I really thought they WERE going to choose Fred, and was surprised they didn't. I almost thought they were going to throw a twist in and say they were choosing multiple pianists for this episode.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, dcdeb said:

But overall I thought the show had the same vibe as the first series, the same sensibilities. I still enjoyed it very much.

Just watched it, I completely agree! Those reviewers just don’t have taste, obviously

• Like 2

Here's the article I mentioned in an earlier post.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/life_style/arts_ents/24284144.piano-claudia-winkleman-back-second-series/

The Piano with Claudia Winkleman back for second series

28th April

ethan.jpg.article-962.thumb.jpg.1b2322f7b78f81b7c8bbba7acf5c2b9b.jpg

By Alison Rowat

Senior politics and features writer

The Piano

Channel 4

There is a point in the new series of The Piano when the popstar Mika looks at the large crowd gathered on the concourse at Manchester Piccadilly and exclaims to his fellow judge, “Lang Lang, things have changed!”

It’s a nice, “top of the world ma” moment in tune with a show that came out of nowhere to be a ratings smash for Channel 4, bringing in 3 million viewers every episode.

At first only a few travellers would turn away from staring at the departures board long enough to check out who was playing the station’s public piano. Now, as Mika says, they are watching in their droves.

The big difference between then and now is that the judges are no longer secret. You might think that would put a crimp in a second series but Mika disagreed, saying the best bits were not the “big reveals” about the judges but the musicians’ individual stories.

Is he right? One episode in and I’m worried. Could it be that you can have too much of a good thing?

The first to compete for a place in the final concert was a youngster whose mum bought him a keyboard from Argos when he was four. “I come from a single parent family in a lovely council estate full of needles and students,” he said.

He played Ballade No.4 by Chopin, “a very difficult piece” said Lang Lang.

I’d have liked to know more about how the contestant got to that level without private lessons, but there was no time to waste as the next person was waiting. And yes, they had a story to tell too. One woman had been through a bad divorce. She played The Winner Takes it All so sadly, Mika ran after her and asked her to choose something else.

After one particularly poignant performance, presenter Claudia Winkleman went up to the judges’ room and declared that this contestant was going through to the final. “It’s not a debate,” she said. Eh? When did Claude become a judge?

There is still much to like about The Piano, not least Winkleman herself. She is a natural with the contestants and her off-beat humour makes a pleasant change from the wilful blandness of most presenters. At one point she introduced us to a dachshund named Henry, who could not be looked at lest he fly into a rage. “I had a boyfriend like Henry,” said Winkleman, with a grin that suggested it was she who had the last laugh in the end.

Mika’s attempt to introduce his fellow judge Lang Lang to the 21st century continues entertainingly. “There’s a pasty shop,” he says to Lang Lang. “Have you ever had a pasty?” Unsurprisingly the answer was no.

Back to the amateur pianists. It is good to know how each musician got there, and about any barriers they have faced. Last year’s winner was Lucy Illingworth, a blind 13-year-old. But she was first and foremost a brilliant musician with an exceptional way of communicating with an audience.

At times there seemed to be two competitions here - one to discover new talent, and one to find the most affecting back story. Keep going on this road and you come to the X Factor.

The show was so successful last time precisely because it let the music do the talking. The result was genuinely moving, inspirational TV. The final will be ticketed this time, with proceeds going to buy more street pianos. It’s another nice touch by Channel 4 in a show that is packed with lovely moments. Here’s hoping it finds its balance again, and soon.

Edited by SusanT
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, SusanT said:

Could it be that you can have too much of a good thing?

I actually think you can turn the question around and ask yourself “is there really so much going on in the world that you can fill an episode with all those stories?” And I am afraid to say that the answer to that is “yes”. 

20 hours ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

Duncan and his wife will be guests on tomorrow's This Morning show! I'll be keeping an eye out for it 😊

This Morning 

on Tuesday 30 April

Duncan and his wife will be guests at 10:45 am on ITV "This Morning"

• Like 1

French site's REVIEW

Radio Classique

https://www.radioclassique.fr/classique/recompenses/lang-lang-et-mika-a-nouveau-reunis-pour-la-2e-saison-de-the-piano/?xtor=CS1-3050

30/04/2024 à 09:00

Lang Lang et Mika à nouveau réunis pour la 2e saison de The Piano

Jurés surprise l’an dernier de l’émission de télécrochet The Piano qui désigne les meilleurs pianistes amateurs à partir de performances réalisées sur des pianos publics dans les plus grandes gares britanniques, Lang Lang et Mika remettent ça cette saison. Elle vient de démarrer sur Channel 4.

La première saison de l’émission hebdomadaire The Piano, diffusée en février/mars 2023 sur Channel 4 a connu un tel succès (2,7 millions de téléspectateurs en moyenne par épisode) que la chaîne anglaise a décidé de diffuser, depuis le 28 avril, une deuxième saison, avec le même prestigieux jury, composé du grand pianiste chinois Lang Lang et du chanteur pop Mika, juré de l’émission The Voice en France.

Pour cette saison, la production a sélectionné de nouvelles gares mais surtout, désormais, les candidats savent qu’ils sont jugés par Lang Lang et Mika. L’an dernier ils pensaient être filmés pour un documentaire.
« C’est comme s’ils donnaient une performance aux Oscars »

Le concert final qui désignera le lauréat de cette saison a déjà été enregistré (en toute confidentialité) dans les studios Aviva de Manchester. Tout ce qu’on sait c’est qu’y a été sélectionné un candidat de 80 ans, Duncan, atteint de démence sénile, qui a fortement impressionné le public, le jury et l’animatrice Claudia Winkleman.

Interrogé par la presse britannique, Lang Lang révèle avoir « beaucoup appris  » en participant à cette émission. Le pianiste chinois, qui avait été particulièrement ému par la prestation de Lucy, la jeune fille aveugle et autiste qui s’était imposée l’an dernier, révèle avoir reçu de nombreux messages de téléspectateurs lui indiquant qu’ils voulaient commencer à prendre des cours de piano et aller à davantage de concerts classiques.

« Ce qui est génial c’est qu’on ne sait jamais quel type de musique les candidats vont jouer. Très souvent, cela ne correspond pas à leur style. Et cette année ils montrent bien plus d’émotion. Ils savent que nous observons leurs performances et que nous choisirons ensuite l’un d’entre eux », précise-t-il, et d’ajouter « C’est comme s’ils donnaient une performance aux Oscars. C’est juste incroyable ! ».

Google translator

Lang Lang and Mika reunited for the 2nd season of The Piano

Surprise jurors last year of the telecrochet show The Piano which nominates the best amateur pianists based on performances carried out on public pianos in the largest British stations, Lang Lang and Mika are doing it again this season. It has just started on Channel 4.

The first season of the weekly show The Piano, broadcast in February/March 2023 on Channel 4, was such a success (2.7 million viewers on average per episode) that the English channel decided to broadcast it on April 28 , a second season, with the same prestigious jury, composed of the great Chinese pianist Lang Lang and the pop singer Mika, juror of the show The Voice in France.

For this season, the production has selected new stations but above all, from now on, the candidates know that they are judged by Lang Lang and Mika. Last year they thought they were being filmed for a documentary.
“It’s like they’re giving a performance at the Oscars”

The final concert which will determine this season's winner has already been recorded (in complete confidentiality) at Aviva Studios in Manchester. All we know is that an 80-year-old candidate was selected, Duncan, suffering from senile dementia, who greatly impressed the public, the jury and the host Claudia Winkleman.

Questioned by the British press, Lang Lang revealed that he “learned a lot” by participating in this show. The Chinese pianist, who was particularly moved by the performance of Lucy, the young blind and autistic girl who won last year, reveals that he received numerous messages from viewers telling him that they wanted to start taking lessons piano and go to more classical concerts.

“What’s great is that you never know what type of music the candidates are going to play. Very often it doesn't fit their style. And this year they show a lot more emotion. They know that we are watching their performances and that we will then choose one of them,” he explains, adding, “It’s like they are giving a performance at the Oscars. It's just incredible! ".

the-piano-lang-lang-mika-1.thumb.jpg.4977c3fa5d539a39a321478d711f5a8d.jpg

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Kumazzz said:

This Morning 

on Tuesday 30 April

Duncan and his wife will be guests at 10:45 am on ITV "This Morning"

Duncan playing The Piano on ITV "This Morning"

I don't know why the media person ( magazine, papers and TV ) confused that the finale concert was held at Royal Festival Hall..., Channel 4 says clearly "Aviva hall". :dunno:

Edited by Kumazzz
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, SusanT said:

Here's the article I mentioned in an earlier post.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/life_style/arts_ents/24284144.piano-claudia-winkleman-back-second-series/

The Piano with Claudia Winkleman back for second series

28th April

ethan.jpg.article-962.thumb.jpg.1b2322f7b78f81b7c8bbba7acf5c2b9b.jpg

By Alison Rowat

Senior politics and features writer

The Piano

Channel 4

There is a point in the new series of The Piano when the popstar Mika looks at the large crowd gathered on the concourse at Manchester Piccadilly and exclaims to his fellow judge, “Lang Lang, things have changed!”

It’s a nice, “top of the world ma” moment in tune with a show that came out of nowhere to be a ratings smash for Channel 4, bringing in 3 million viewers every episode.

At first only a few travellers would turn away from staring at the departures board long enough to check out who was playing the station’s public piano. Now, as Mika says, they are watching in their droves.

The big difference between then and now is that the judges are no longer secret. You might think that would put a crimp in a second series but Mika disagreed, saying the best bits were not the “big reveals” about the judges but the musicians’ individual stories.

Is he right? One episode in and I’m worried. Could it be that you can have too much of a good thing?

The first to compete for a place in the final concert was a youngster whose mum bought him a keyboard from Argos when he was four. “I come from a single parent family in a lovely council estate full of needles and students,” he said.

He played Ballade No.4 by Chopin, “a very difficult piece” said Lang Lang.

I’d have liked to know more about how the contestant got to that level without private lessons, but there was no time to waste as the next person was waiting. And yes, they had a story to tell too. One woman had been through a bad divorce. She played The Winner Takes it All so sadly, Mika ran after her and asked her to choose something else.

After one particularly poignant performance, presenter Claudia Winkleman went up to the judges’ room and declared that this contestant was going through to the final. “It’s not a debate,” she said. Eh? When did Claude become a judge?

There is still much to like about The Piano, not least Winkleman herself. She is a natural with the contestants and her off-beat humour makes a pleasant change from the wilful blandness of most presenters. At one point she introduced us to a dachshund named Henry, who could not be looked at lest he fly into a rage. “I had a boyfriend like Henry,” said Winkleman, with a grin that suggested it was she who had the last laugh in the end.

Mika’s attempt to introduce his fellow judge Lang Lang to the 21st century continues entertainingly. “There’s a pasty shop,” he says to Lang Lang. “Have you ever had a pasty?” Unsurprisingly the answer was no.

Back to the amateur pianists. It is good to know how each musician got there, and about any barriers they have faced. Last year’s winner was Lucy Illingworth, a blind 13-year-old. But she was first and foremost a brilliant musician with an exceptional way of communicating with an audience.

At times there seemed to be two competitions here - one to discover new talent, and one to find the most affecting back story. Keep going on this road and you come to the X Factor.

The show was so successful last time precisely because it let the music do the talking. The result was genuinely moving, inspirational TV. The final will be ticketed this time, with proceeds going to buy more street pianos. It’s another nice touch by Channel 4 in a show that is packed with lovely moments. Here’s hoping it finds its balance again, and soon.

That's probably the most balanced review I've read so far. I agree they need to focus more on the music. The stories are important to show why people have turned to music, but not the primary focus. It's their ability to use the piano to express themselves that is the key. Much as I love The Piano - and I do, both as a concept and the actual series, the trio of presenters and the glimpse into other people's lives and passion for the instrument - somehow the new episode felt a little off to me, almost as if they were trying too hard to recapture the magic. It was simpler when people didn't know the judges were there. I got the impression a couple of performers were there for the 'pick me!' rather than the enjoyment of playing. While Duncan's story was sweet, I wasn't amazed by his performance and didn't get the feeling that playing the piano was his way to battle dementia, it's just what he's always done and btw he wrote a song for his wife. The cynical part of me wondered if the production team were trying to create another Harry moment. If so, it didn't work. 

But, having been to the final and knowing how it ends, with the talents to come, I have high hopes that they can refind their feet quickly.  It's certainly still a highlight of the week. And I can't wait to see Mika and LL on the bike next week. :lmfao::lustslow::lmao:

• Like 5

TV Times -

4/10 May 2024

TVTimes4_05.2024_.jpg.ebd811d0e145d7fe357b48e6c947bc74.jpg

Page 44

SUNDAY Highlights

The Incredibly Talented Lucy

DOCUMENTARY 10.05PM, C4

It’s often said that music can express a feeling where words have failed. So it was no surprise when the first series of The Piano was a huge hit with viewers last year, and that the winner, 13-year-old blind and neurodivergent Lucy, touched so many people’s hearts. What was particularly moving was Lucy’s friendship with her piano teacher Daniel, and this documentary looks at how they worked together to prepare for a performance at the King’s Coronation Concert.

Earlier, the second episode of the new series of The Piano (9pm) looks for talented players at Cardiff Central Station. ★★★★

TVTimes4_05.2024_p.44-lucy.thumb.jpg.dae0e87e49ac4f043ae90115b5d4bdd9.jpg

TVTimes4_05.2024_p.44_.thumb.jpg.67d0ec4a0e31d5134244eeff1b582fd0.jpg

Page 47

5 MAY SUNDAY

Channel4

9.00 The Piano 2 of 7.

Musical competition. Claudia Winkleman, Mika and Lang Lang continue their search for amateur pianists at Cardiff Central Station, where they encounter triplets, a man on a piano bike and an angelic Welsh performance.

See Highlights. (S)(AD)

● Repeated on Wednesday at 11.05pm.

10.05 The Incredibly Talented Lucy

One-off documentary catching up with the youngster who rose to fame during the first series of The Piano.

Lucy, who is blind and neurodivergent, stole the nation’s hearts after being discovered performing on a keyboard at Leeds Train Station.

See Highlights. (S)(AD)

TVTimes4_05.2024_p.47_C4-1.thumb.jpg.0413949c9ee5f3d2734dd2161f8c1389.jpg

TVTimes4_05.2024_p.47_.thumb.jpg.1e48ce9f62b3e9aea0d497e4079e8ad0.jpg

• Like 2

On 4/30/2024 at 7:23 AM, SusanT said:

:teehee:

The Pasty Shop

Manchester Piccadilly Station, Manchester England

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g187069-d10756009-Reviews-The_Pasty_Shop-Manchester_Greater_Manchester_England.html

bella-30_04_2024-1.thumb.jpg.2c9f3b6beaa7bc0ba431258652f7d664.jpg

A screenshot fro the episode - 1

bella-30_04_2024.thumb.jpg.3c1f9cdf157baa9ddb8e6905f564bb93.jpg

• Haha 2

Finally got to watch all of the first episode. And I can definitely see now why the reviews are saying that they put too much emphasis on the back stories. If I'm honest, without that back story, Duncan's playing would just have been "nice". I liked the song and it's sweet that he wrote it for his wife, but they gave this story so much more time than the other ones? And I'm not sure if you could call the piano a "medicine" against dementia - I suppose he can be lucky that he's still able to play and it's a very sad thought that this illness will probably take this away from him sooner or later. :tears: Anyway, what really bothered me was Claudia's intervention of saying he'll go to the final concert and it's not a debate. I don't know how you experienced it when watching live without knowing for sure he'd be the "winner", but to me it kind of made the rest of Mika's and Lang Lang's discussions obsolete, like "why do you even bother when Claudia has already decided?!" :dunno: Maybe they could have resolved this by cutting Duncan's performance as the last one of this episode, or just removing that bit where Claudia intervened ... But maybe it was even on purpose, to press through their idea of who should win to most serve the format? I don't know, but I didn't like it. :no:

Anyway, the pianists who really moved me were Ellis and Fred, but also the blind guy with the guide dog. With the autistic kid it felt a bit too much as if they were trying to get a 2nd Lucy. Personally I didn't feel his performance, although ofc it was very good. Unlike Mika, I also enjoyed the cat song. :teehee: I think I'd have picked Ellis, for the combination of his playing and his back story. I hope that being on the show gets him some chances.

And can I just say, Mika lying Lang Lang straight to his face without blinking (about ABBA), wtf?! :blink: I'll never believe him a word anymore. :facepalm: Besides, he's being a bit too snobbish for my liking about these cultural differences between them. I'm sure he didn't mean it in a mean way, and maybe it just comes across wrong with the way they cut it - but if some reviewer bases the chemistry between them on this particular scene, I get why they come to the conclusion that it doesn't feel right. :rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Sad 1