Moi, Andy et Paris - lyrics and song discussions

On 11/23/2023 at 4:30 PM, holdingyourdrink said:

I would like to add that this way of conflict resolving may sound romantic (to run away to different countries, to then write a song about it), but is in my opinion not the healthiest way to do it :biggrin2:

I don't know but it is very helpful to have this song when my husband turns into a monster so I'm very grateful to Mika for doing things this way :thumb_yello: And it seems to be working for him since they are still together. It was so cute when he introduced the snipet and he was afraid fans would understand that they had broken up :wub2:

• Like 2

On 11/23/2023 at 7:01 PM, carafon said:

I think I'm the only one who understand

"dire qu'on s'était dit .......Moi , Andy et Paris " :donkey:

On 11/23/2023 at 7:09 PM, krysady said:

But it would make sense in this sentence?

Finaly !!!!

I'm earing "on s'est dit oui" too :naughty:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Quoting this here from the Belgian press thread - I started to reply there, but all my thoughts about the song are better placed in this thread, I think.

4 hours ago, NaoMika said:

I told him that if he agreed to this, there was a huge opportunity for it to help this couple. At the same time where he is right is that he is not jealous while I am. And so, he is saying that I am projecting, that I am speaking about my problems through him and that this appropriation is not fair. And there, he is completely right. When I tell him: yes, but I'm an artist, he replies: yes, but #### you. But strangely, I really like the fact that we're having this conversation.

I love this, because that's exactly it. The last sentence is the result of the first that I quoted here, and it is damn important to have such conversations in a relationship! And to stay in the conversation. When Mika says he can only talk about such difficult topics in his music, and that he didn't talk with Andy for 2 months after this incident, that doesn't sound like a healthy way to deal with issues. Andy shouts at him, it seems like they just both need to hear from each other that they're important to each other, that they support each other despite their differences - but instead, they fight, and Mika tells Andy to leave. That is really such a heartbreaking situation. I don't know why just writing a song privately for Andy wasn't enough, even if music is Mika's way to express himself, but putting it on his album and talking about it in interviews, I get why Andy isn't happy about that. Personally, I don't mind, I love both Mika and Andy, and while Mika might try to put the blame on Andy in this song, if you read the lyrics carefully it becomes very clear that it tells more about Mika than about Andy. I'm glad that Mika sees this now, that he was able to accept this truth from Andy. His way of dealing with difficult issues has always been to disappear, to become mute. It saved him as a child, from the abusive teacher, but as an adult, in an adult relationship, it's not useful. Maybe also Andy has a way of addressing difficult topics that triggers this reaction in Mika, I don't know about that. If you usually don't talk about things, then it can easily explode at some point - so if Mika tends to avoid difficult conversations, it's probably hard for Andy to metabolize all the unsaid things. Or even for both of them. And now Mika says "but I'm an artist" - I think the truth would be more like "I have no idea why I am like that, and I'm shit scared that you might leave me if I show my inner self too much", because he grew up with the feeling that he's not ok and has no value, except if he makes music, and that feeling is damn hard to get rid of. But I think he's on a good way. :wub2:

• Like 3

I totally see this going like this: 

A: You’re going to Paris, again?

M: Work is calling! You know this!

A: Well I am off to Greece anyway, so have fun.

M: Why are you going to Greece?

A: Work is calling! Are you jealous?

M: I am not jealous, you are! 
A: Who me? No YOU are! 
M: Go away! I don’t want to talk to you!

A: What!? That doesn’t make sense.

M: But I’m an artist!

A: #### you!

M: *writes a song*

• Haha 7

And another thought, maybe that's the truth behind "I'm an artist" - putting it out there in public forces him to face it, to explore his emotions and desires. Once it's out there, it becomes more difficult to duck away and hide from the discussion. Although it still allows him to hide behind the concept of artistic freedom, or tell different versions of the truth in interviews. Like, in one he said that Andy liked the song and wanted Mika to put it on the album. Maybe he felt that he couldn't trust this particular interviewer with the truth. But in the other interviews he's pretty consistent and open about it, and I think that's part of the metabolization for him, it's not just the writing process, but also the consequences of putting it out in public.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mellody said:

if you read the lyrics carefully it becomes very clear that it tells more about Mika than about Andy

That's exactly it!!

I think it's even kinda funny in a way because you start listening to the song and there's this dramatic tension in the first verse and you wonder what terrible thing the other person could have done and then the chorus is basically "I'm scared he's cheating on me" and you're like "Where did that come from?!". Definitely more telling of his own insecurities.

1 hour ago, mellody said:

When I tell him: yes, but I'm an artist, he replies: yes, but #### you.

And I really like that Andy seems to keep him grounded because to me the answer "I do this because I'm an artist" would sound so pretentious in that situation that I would also feel the need to say "Well that doesn't make any sense so here's something just as pointless: F*** you!".

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CharlotteL said:

there's this dramatic tension in the first verse and you wonder what terrible thing the other person could have done

It becomes clear even earlier - at least when you look at the lyrics as a whole. When Mika sings that you have to cover your ears because the monster wakes up, just because Andy shouts at him during an argument, I'm like, wait, that's actually a pretty hurtful way of blaming the other person for not having their emotions under control while completely ignoring the actual reason why they might be shouting at you?! And then, "he talks about Athens and everything he loves, but let's be realistic, I'm not on that list anymore" - Mika feels rejected. In my opinion, if Mika wasn't on Andy's list of what he loves, he wouldn't bother talking and arguing about it. Mika feels rejected by what Andy says, or maybe by the way he says it, and I could imagine that Andy feels rejected by the things Mika doesn't say, by his silence.

It makes me really happy for both of them to see the development in Mika's interviews about this, from blaming Andy for being jealous to saying "yes, it might be better to listen to what the other one has to say" and admitting that he is projecting his own issues onto Andy. Andy might not like the way Mika solves problems (and it's understandable), but well, it seems to work. :teehee:

Edited by mellody
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...