MFC MOTHERS' CLUB: Mothers who love MIKA

Blue Sky

"Back To School" is one of the biggest shopping events of the retail year in North America.

I wondering if any of the mom's out there are experiencing stress this year.

And I'm sure not all the countries start a new school year in September either.

School starts again in almost 1 week. I'm reducing my stress this year by:

- having the kids fill garbage bags of clothes from their closets and drawers that no longer fit them or they no longer want to wear. This makes space for new clothes that I make sure they pick out. I cannot stand hearing the words " ... but I have nothing to wear..."

- We gather all the stationary and school supplies they used last year and take inventory of what they really need to buy again.

- we write a shopping list with a budget, so that we remain focused on what we're at the mall to look for.

- Most importantly, I don't buy too many things before school starts. I've noticed, that they figure out what they really want or need a few weeks after the school year has started.

• Replies 790
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Back to school shopping was one of the things I looked forward to most when I was a kid.:) I loved new stationery and there was always the fun of trying to get Mum to buy "branded" stuff rather than plain stuff, which was much cheaper.

Here in Aus, we're halfway through the school year, so I'm not at the same point you are at, but it would be different for me anyway...

1. Most of the primary schools (grade school) here in Canberra as far as I know, have a uniform. I know that the high school my son is going to next year has a colour code (I think it's a new thing they're in the process of introducing). That seriously decreases the amount of "nothing to wear" moments you have.

2. With regards stationery needs, my son's school contract with a particular company to supply all of the book and stationery items that your child will need across the year. You get sent home the "Book Pack" list and go through it and determine what you need and what you don't. The school gets some money (like a commission I guess) for every book pack ordered. You don't have to participate in it, you can go and buy your own, and it's possible you save a bit of money, but you have the stress of going and buying everything then. With the book pack, you just send the list back to school with payment and just prior to school restarting, the company will bring all the Book Packs to the school and you just go down and collect yours. One of the drawbacks of this is that the list gets sent out toward the end of the school year but has to go back before school finishes, so you don't always know exactly what your kids have used and what they've run out of, or what's still in good enough condition to see you through another year. You kind of have to guess, or quiz your child and trust that you're getting accurate answers or go in after school sometime and go through their desk!

Wow chickadee - that's soooo stress free! But kinda boring too...

Although sometimes I see little kids in uniforms and they are sooo adorable - until of course, they get to highschool and all the girls roll up their kilts like cheerleading skirts.

As a kid, I loved being able to pick out my smelly erasers and fancy pencils.

But at this moment, though, there's only 2 themes of school supplies out there - Hannah Montana or Highschool Musical. *makes gagging gesture with finger down her throat* :thumbdown:

Wow chickadee - that's soooo stress free! But kinda boring too...

Although sometimes I see little kids in uniforms and they are sooo adorable - until of course, they get to highschool and all the girls roll up their kilts like cheerleading skirts.

As a kid, I loved being able to pick out my smelly erasers and fancy pencils.

But at this moment, though, there's only 2 themes of school supplies out there - Hannah Montana or Highschool Musical. *makes gagging gesture with finger down her throat* :thumbdown:

*makes gagging gesture with you*

I suppose it is kind of boring but my 11 yr old son really doesn't care. I've got a feeling that when Miss 3 makes it to school, it will all become so very important!

here in holand we don't have school uniforms but i wish we had. it would be so much easier in the morning. my youngest son always wants to wear the craziest clothes to school , he's crazy about his army suit (wich we bought to play in) .now he knows i won't let him wear that to school but this morning he wanted to wear his football (soccer) shoes to school. i asked him why do you think they are called football shoes?

i hope this will be over soon

here in holand we don't have school uniforms but i wish we had. it would be so much easier in the morning. my youngest son always wants to wear the craziest clothes to school , he's crazy about his army suit (wich we bought to play in) .now he knows i won't let him wear that to school but this morning he wanted to wear his football (soccer) shoes to school. i asked him why do you think they are called football shoes?

Aww...let him wear it. It's not hurting anyone. Mika wore a red bow-tie to school. :naughty:

This is my kids second week back at school.....

and even though ALL of mine wear uniforms -- it is still a very stressful time!

Well, where I live it is a very small town, and everyone needs the same things so the *few stores that we do have* seem to run out of items rather quickly -- which is a total nusense :mf_rosetinted: I mean it is NOT like they don't know this happens every single year! You would *think* that management would be smart enough to order plenty of the necessities -- but, year after year .... they show their intellect. But, when it is all said and done -- and all the madness has died down, back to school is a great time! I am VERY lucky that all of my kids LOVE going to school and do not give me ANY problems about having to get up at 5 AM! :naughty: Still freaks me out about having to catch the bus at 6:00 AM in the pitch dark..... but dosen't bother them.... so *they are braver then I would have been* :roftl:

Is it JUST me - or did this Summer break seem to just fly by? I mean feels more like it was only 2 weeks or so. Luckily this time didn't seem too hard to 'get back to the grind' {I think it is Mika that gives me that extra boost of energy} :naughty:

Hahaha, like Mika: going to school in a clown's outfit!:biggrin2:

My kids go back for second term on September 1st. We are embroiled in the annual summer homework debacle. Why do they have to do summer homework??? They hate it, I hate it, it seems to serve very little purpose except to keep them able to read and write.:mf_rosetinted:

We have no uniforms, but they have all grown in the summer, so they all need new shoes. 2nd term spans from the hot humid days of late summer, with swimming and sports days, right through to the cold and potential snow of Christmas. It is almost half the year by the feel of it....it's a very long haul till the next holidays.

Tomorrow my youngest turns 9. Seems like yesterday he was just a wee thing, and now he is getting a "proper" bicycle for his birthday. (He always gets the hand-me-downs, but this one is new!) So I need to get to bed, he will be up before dawn!!:naughty:

Why do they have to do summer homework??? They hate it, I hate it, it seems to serve very little purpose except to keep them able to read and write.:mf_rosetinted:

Yes, why do our kids' homework stress us out?

Tomorrow my youngest turns 9. Seems like yesterday he was just a wee thing, and now he is getting a "proper" bicycle for his birthday. (He always gets the hand-me-downs, but this one is new!) So I need to get to bed, he will be up before dawn!!:naughty:

Happy Birthday to Blue Sky's youngest! Hope he enjoys his new bike!

I am VERY lucky that all of my kids LOVE going to school and do not give me ANY problems about having to get up at 5 AM!

You are lucky. My thirteen year old needs to be awoken 5 times. We're getting them used to going to bed earlier these next few days. It's a challenge.

Hi! I wanna belong to MFC mother's club!

I Live in Portugal, in Pinhal Novo, near Lisbon!

I've two daugthers, 11 and 9 years.

I Confessed, i have an obsession with Mika, but... all my family have, so it's easy to be at the computer lots of hours, looking for all Mika's things.

Well, i prefer to be alone when I look for it, and I Hate when I have to interrupted to do dinner!!!

Sorry about my english but is the best I can do?

Love the idea of MFC Mika kids club!!!

Waiting for the add!

Sandra

So, some of us on this forum have seen a few more moons than the rest, and in fact have to squeeeeze in our computer time around KIDS' DINNERS, or KIDS' PICKUPS & DROP OFFS, and KIDS' PERFORMANCES and SPORTS MATCHES etc, or worse still, around our KIDS' COMPUTER TIME.

Some of us have been known to stay up WAY AFTER our KIDS have gone to bed just to get our daily fix of MIKA & MFC. Sometimes we pretend we are doing serious computer work when secretly we have the MFC page open underneath...:fisch:

Some of us have been asked by friends, families, neighbours and people at work "Aren't you too old for this???" Perhaps we've been told to "act your age " or told to be a responsible parent.:bleh: We get comments on our sanity, our supposed "midlife crises", and maybe even looks of shock and horror when we mention WE LOVE MIKA and WE LOVE MFC. "But you're old enough to be HIS MOTHER!!!" they say.:shocked:

If you are a mother (any age), and the above sounds like you, come and let your hair down on MFC MOTHERS' CLUB. And I will give us all a number...of course it would be good to have Mika's mum, Mrs. Penniman as No. 1:flowers2: but because she doesn't appear to be joining the forums anytime soon, I guess I will have to start!

Post below and tell us

a) where you are in the world and

b) how many kids you have (ages optional)

c) (optional) any hints you have for successfully combining motherhood and MFC!!!

Then I will add you to our list. And let's have some fun being

:partytime2: MFC MOTHERS' CLUB: MOTHERS WHO LOVE MIKA!!:woot_jump:

MEMBERS:

Blue Sky MFC MOTHERS' CLUB #1

jengafer MFC MOTHERS' CLUB #2

Tia MFC MOTHERS' CLUB #3

carrienevie MFC MOTHERS' CLUB #4

happikali MFC MOTHERS' CLUB #5

hoochatootch MFC MOTHERS' CLUB #6

girlintheblue MFC MOTHERS' CLUB #7

mebigsomeisbeautiful MFC MOTHERS' CLUB #8

vuyk @telkomsa.net MFC MOTHERS' CLUB #9

sasje MFC MOTHERS' CLUB #10

Avoca MFC MOTHERS' CLUB #11

Mouselle MFC MOTHERS' CLUB #12

Wendi MFC MOTHERS' CLUB #13

Big Girl MFC MOTHERS' CLUB #14

looby1173 MFC MOTHERS' CLUB #15

Gatagordinha MFC MOTHERS' CLUB #16

mgpm MFC MOTHERS' CLUB #17

natie MFC MOTHERS' CLUB #18

mikamaniac MFC MOTHERS' CLUB #19

cherie MFC MOTHERS' CLUB #20

crina MFC MOTHERS' CLUB #21

cathij0269 MFC MOTHERS' CLUB #22

mika mad MFC MOTHERS' CLUB #23

carlasue MFC MOTHERS' CLUB #24

sparkly1 MFC MOTHERS' CLUB #25

cloud MFC MOTHERS' CLUB #26

A Gagged Jade Goody MFC MOTHERS' CLUB #27

Titty MFC MOTHERS' CLUB #28

akim MFC MOTHERS' CLUB #29

Stormy Weather MFC MOTHERS' CLUB #30

canuckchick MFC MOTHERS' CLUB #31

sara MFC MOTHERS' CLUB #32

robertina MFC MOTHERS' CLUB #33

Betty Boo MFC MOTHERS' CLUB #34

Jolene MFC MOTHERS' CLUB #35

lilmot MFC MOTHERS' CLUB #36

Ela MFC MOTHERS' CLUB #37

Nejma MFC MOTHERS' CLUB #38

Suzy MFC MOTHERS' CLUB #39

waltzing matilda MFC MOTHERS' CLUB #40

mom4unicrn MFC MOTHERS' CLUB #41

seren MFC MOTHERS' CLUB #42

pam MFC MOTHERS' CLUB #43

NYMommyof3 MFC MOTHERS' CLUB #44

HollyD MFC MOTHERS' CLUB #45

AnnaMariaPetra MFC MOTHERS' CLUB #46

Ricki MFC MOTHERS' CLUB #47

Sweet knees MFC MOTHERS' CLUB #48

mommylovesmika MFC MOTHERS' CLUB #49

candboys MFC MOTHERS' CLUB #50

chickadee MFC MOTHERS' CLUB #51

seren MFC MOTHERS' CLUB #52

FRENCHCATHY25 MFC MOTHERS' CLUB #53

vickylovesmika MFC MOTHERS' CLUB #54

mamsie MFC MOTHERS' CLUB #55

clelia MFC MOTHERS' CLUB #56

dragana MFC MOTHERS' CLUB #57

kruemelfan MFC MOTHERS' CLUB #58

Mom4Mika MFC MOTHERS' CLUB #59

miek MFC MOTHERS' CLUB #60

nadou MFC MOTHERS' CLUB #61

danni/jules MFC MOTHERS' CLUB #62

shoni MFC MOTHERS' CLUB #63

acyaws MFC MOTHERS' CLUB #64

patricia4u MFC MOTHERS' CLUB #65

kim MFC MOTHERS' CLUB #66

stefanie MFC MOTHERS' CLUB #67

coolrose MFC MOTHERS' CLUB #68

Janena MFC MOTHERS' CLUB #69

Helli MFC MOTHERS' CLUB #70

Hi! I wanna belong to MFC mother's club!

I Live in Portugal, in Pinhal Novo, near Lisbon!

I've two daugthers, 11 and 9 years.

I Confessed, i have an obsession with Mika, but... all my family have, so it's easy to be at the computer lots of hours, looking for all Mika's things.

Well, i prefer to be alone when I look for it, and I Hate when I have to interrupted to do dinner!!!

Sorry about my english but is the best I can do?

Love the idea of MFC Mika kids club!!!

Waiting for the add!

Sandra

Hi Sandrine!

Welcome to the Mother's thread and welcome to the MFC. :thumb_yello:

You can PM (private message) Blue Sky if you'd like, but once she sees your post, I'm sure she'll gladly add you to the list.

Well, where I live it is a very small town, and everyone needs the same things so the *few stores that we do have* seem to run out of items rather quickly -- which is a total nusense :mf_rosetinted: I mean it is NOT like they don't know this happens every single year! You would *think* that management would be smart enough to order plenty of the necessities -- but, year after year .... they show their intellect. But, when it is all said and done -- and all the madness has died down, back to school is a great time! I am VERY lucky that all of my kids LOVE going to school and do not give me ANY problems about having to get up at 5 AM! :naughty: Still freaks me out about having to catch the bus at 6:00 AM in the pitch dark..... but dosen't bother them.... so *they are braver then I would have been* :roftl:

Is it JUST me - or did this Summer break seem to just fly by? I mean feels more like it was only 2 weeks or so. Luckily this time didn't seem too hard to 'get back to the grind' {I think it is Mika that gives me that extra boost of energy} :naughty:

Why on earth do they have to get up at 5:00am? I presume they have a long bus ride to a larger town? Gosh, my son's been getting up at 7:00am lately and it's been blissful (rather than 7:45am like he had been). Less fights and arguments and plenty of time for him to amble around and get ready at HIS pace (which is very slow).

My kids go back for second term on September 1st. We are embroiled in the annual summer homework debacle. Why do they have to do summer homework??? They hate it, I hate it, it seems to serve very little purpose except to keep them able to read and write.:mf_rosetinted:

We have no uniforms, but they have all grown in the summer, so they all need new shoes. 2nd term spans from the hot humid days of late summer, with swimming and sports days, right through to the cold and potential snow of Christmas. It is almost half the year by the feel of it....it's a very long haul till the next holidays.

Summer homework??! Horrors! It's bad enough fighting about homework in term time! What is the real rationale? It's not like they forget how to read and write between school years.

Happy birthday to your son!

I'd refuse to do it and unless my kids wanted to do it I'd gladly write that we as a family will not be participating, but than again I am a rebel.

Another reason to home school. Alas, my girls may have to go back to school in 2009 as my job will most likely be going full time. They'd be going into 7th and 8th grade, which ironically, are the school years I always felt should be banned.

yes i had the same feeling , i remember last year lasted soo long that i was happy my kids went back to school . but this year was definetly different :naughty:

Hahaha, like Mika: going to school in a clown's outfit!:biggrin2:
hahhahahhahahhha he had that period too . i made him a black and white clownsuit once and he was realy cute in it. but then he wanted to wear that all the time:naughty: i was so happy he didn't fit it anymore.

i'm so afraid to make new carnival clothes for him :naughty:

hahhahahhahahhha he had that period too . i made him a black and white clownsuit once and he was realy cute in it. but then he wanted to wear that all the time:naughty: i was so happy he didn't fit it anymore.

i'm so afraid to make new carnival clothes for him :naughty:

Make him a sailor-suit, with a white and blue striped marine shirt.......

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! The first school day in Portugal is on 15th september!

Today my young daughter buy a fit skin jeans and an shinning pink ...."cinto"(I don´t know how it spells in english), for the first school day.

She has got to be beautifull in that day, its very important to her. She's nine years old.

My oldest daughter will wear skin jeans to, but she doesn't like shinning things anymore, but if I let her, she make up her self to go to school. She's 11years old.

I really love to see how they grow and the diferent things they like.

Bye

SB