Books...

Freya

Well, I've skimmed all of the 76 pages in this "section", but haven't found a similar thread. If one already exists, I'm really sorry, just ignore this one... :blush-anim-cl:

So, which was the last book you read? Do you have a favourite author? Any novel/collection/short story you'd like to recommend??

The last novel I read was Arto Paasilinna's The Forest of Hung Foxes. A rather easy read, recommended for summer reading. :thumb_yello:

Now I'm deep into Stephen King's Bag of Bones. Well, there are better King novels I've read, but I guess I'm still not deep enough... :wink2:

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm ashmed to say this but I read the last book in february.

All the other books are school books.:sneaky2: Such a shame, 'cause I really love to read. But right now I'm reading Sophie Cooke's Glass House, but I'm not deep into it as well.

My favorite book ever is Twilight by Stephenie Meyer. My friend reccommended it to me and when I first thought of it I was like, "Er...vampires?" but it's SOOO GOOD!! :thumb_yello:

I also love 1984 by George Orwell, Catcher in the Rye by J.D Salinger and A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray. :)

Mikhail Bulgakov's The Master and Margarita and Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland are two of my most favourite books ... first that came to mind.... will have to think about the others....... there are lots..........

The last one was The Perfume by Patrick Süskind.:biggrin2:

It's great!:wub2:

Hey i read that about a month ago...it wasnt bad..but very-very strange...:D

I love

-Harry Potter

-The Count of Monte Cristo

-Lord of the rings

_Winnie The Pooh

-And Dan Brown books like:The Da-Vinci Code,etc.

And right now I am reading a hungarian writer's book: Müller Péter: SzeretetKönyv (SzeretetKönyv means Book Of Love)-this is a great book.Makes me think of love and the world.Teaches to love and teaches what love is.A great book.I hope its gonna be translated coz here its already a bestseller.:thumb_yello:

all conan's doyle's novels/short stories

same goes for oscar wilde (but not dorian gray :thumbdown: LOL)

patricia highsmith's saga over tom ripley: precious

o.c. the HP books

LOTR

patrick mccabe, the butcher boy and breakfast on pluto

all E.M. Forster's books

brett easton ellis, the rules of attraction

all roddy doyle's books

just some random books I'd recommend..

I loooove reading!

Though I haven't been in a reading-mood for a while. When summer comes I'll sit in the sun and read all day ^^

I like books with a fantasy or historical theme.

Some of my favourites are:

Harry Potter by JK Rowling(been a fan since I was 11, can't wait until book no 7!)

Tales of the Otori by Lian Hearn (really good books that takes place in a medieval Japan, a little bit of fantasy and a lovely adventure story with a touch of romantice ^^)

Forsyte Saga by John Galsworthy (only read a bit of the first book, but it's a quite funny book and a good story)

The Shamer's Daughter by Lene Kaaberbol(Exciting fantasy story that has it all ^^)

Woow! This is MY thread!

I love reading!!!

Well...since Zsina has tastes very similar to me I'll start from here:

I love

-Harry Potter

Yeah! I love it! :punk:

-The Count of Monte Cristo

-And Dan Brown books like:The Da-Vinci Code,etc.

Wonderful the first :wub2:

Cool the second (I miss only Crypto...my father hasn't bought it yet :sneaky2: )

Then I'll add my favourite above all: Se questo è un uomo (If this is a man), by Primo Levi, I don't know if it has been translated in a stranger language...but it's the most touching story about Holocaust I've ever read. Remarkable.

Aaand, the book that changed my life: The portrait of Dorian Gray...and Wilde in general (I've read almost everything he wrote!!!) :wub2::wub2::wub2:

wilde rocks my world. :mf_rosetinted: but sadly i cannot get myself to like dorian gray... :boxed:

Oh, you're absolutely right.....I'm sure he was one of the most intelligent, clever and ironic person ever lived on this Earth!

But Dorian Gray...it's like marmite...it's like Mika...you love or ou hate it! :naughty:

Well...it's strange... it changed my life because it made me reflect a lot about hypocrisy...about making good deeds just to silence our coscience...it was a hard period of my life ad it was important...even if the story is tragic and very dark...

I had big troubles with my schoolmates that were so hypocrite and mean...and I was in a Catholic school! ...that just helped me someway... :)

wilde rocks my world. :mf_rosetinted: but sadly i cannot get myself to like dorian gray... :boxed:

I've never read Wilde. But I've read some quotes of his, he seems to be a funny guy ^^

I love reading too, though it's getting hard to read a lot these days.

The last book I read was Perelandra by C.S. Lewis and now I'm reading "That hideous strength", also by Lewis. Both are books from his Space trilogy. =)

Interesting. I've only read Narnia by C.S Lewis. Never really thought he might have written more books ^^ I guess they're not translated to Swedish :/

Interesting. I've only read Narnia by C.S Lewis. Never really thought he might have written more books ^^ I guess they're not translated to Swedish :/

They are good... they may be translated, i read them from a library, and the funny thing is that they are old (the spanish edition was from 1949) and one of them hadn't been read for the last 10 years!!:shocked:

They are good... they may be translated, i read them from a library, and the funny thing is that they are old (the spanish edition was from 1949) and one of them hadn't been read for the last 10 years!!:shocked:

That's really funny!

I was looking for the first book in the Forsyte Saga, but couldn't find it at the library (only in Slovenian of some reason).

After I bought all of the books myself (an edition from the 30's I think) I searched for the book in the library's register. It has been stored in the cellar (where they keep all books which noone has borrowed for an amount of time) since the 70's.

Why aren't people reading those good books? ^^

My fall-time favorite book will always be To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. One of the reasons I love it so much is it reminds me of my mother. I also never knew my mother's father because he died when she was very young. But if I ever imagined him to be like anybody, it would definitely be Atticus.

Other favorite books/authors:

I have enjoyed most everything I've read by George Orwell. He was definitely ahead of his time and had really interesting theories/stories. I liked 1984 the best, but I found his other books equally enjoyable!

C.S. Lewis - looove his work. Especially his Narnia series.

Roald Dahl - he is certainly my favorite children's author. I love the Witches and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory best. :)

J.R.R. Tolkien - do I need to mention why I love these books?

Louisa May Alcott - my favorite of hers is a more obscure novel called "A Long Fatal Long Chase." It's fantastic.

Um, and let's see who else.... I like Helen Fielding (Bridget Jones books), D.H. Lawrence (in small portions....), Jane Austen, Nick Hornby....and many more. :)

My favorite book of all time is The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton. I've read the book eight times and seen the movie 26 times! It's just amazing.

me too!!!

i LOVE the outsiders. and SE Hintons other books too!

all of them!

did you know she was around 16 when she wrote the outsiders, and got a D on it in her creative writting class?

she's such an inspiration!

My last book was High Fidelity. I liked it very much though it has a slightly depressive note...

Now I can't decide what to read next - The Timetraveller's Wife and Middlesex are waiting...

Oh, I enjoyed Middlesex, though it can be really boring at times... :blush-anim-cl:

Otherwise I love Hemingway's short stories!!!! The tip of the iceberg theory and everything! I'm even considering it as my diploma theme... :biggrin2: Or Salinger's short stories... I still cannot decide... :blush-anim-cl:

• 1 month later...

I decided to give this one a bump, because I absolutely love reading. I pretty much always have a book in my hands.:biggrin2:

Here are some books I've read that are just fabulous, with some summaries from amazon.com

Life of Pi: The precocious son of a zookeeper, 16-year-old Pi Patel is raised in Pondicherry, India, where he tries on various faiths for size, attracting "religions the way a dog attracts fleas." Planning a move to Canada, his father packs up the family and their menagerie and they hitch a ride on an enormous freighter. After a harrowing shipwreck, Pi finds himself adrift in the Pacific Ocean, trapped on a 26-foot lifeboat with a wounded zebra, a spotted hyena, a seasick orangutan, and a 450-pound Bengal tiger named Richard Parker.

What Happened to Lani Garver: Lani Garver shows up at school, a tall, thin, strangely androgynous person. "No. Not a girl. Sorry," he says pleasantly when Macy questions him about his gender with vicious curiosity. But Claire, much to Macy's disgust, is drawn to Lani, and his wisdom and kindness begins to heal her. He takes her to Philadelphia to meet his artistic friends, talks sense to her about her eating disorder and her blind devotion to Macy, finds her a therapist. Who is this Lani Garver? He resists "boxes" like "gay." Even his age is a mystery to Claire. Strangest of all, could he be a "floating angel," as his friends at the hospital seem to believe? Meanwhile, the fish frat are closing in for the kill, and when their harassment turns lethal, Lani shows a terrible side of himself Claire has never seen.

Ragtime: (From the book cover) Ragtime is set in America at the beginning of the 20th century. Its characters: three remarkable families whose lives become entwined with people whose names are Henry Ford, Emma Goldman, Harry Houdini, J.P. Morgan, Theodore Dreiser, Sigmund Freud, Emiliano Zapata.

This summer I have a bunch of books lined up: In Cold Blood, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, and Les Miserables. All 1200 pages of it.:blink: