Last Party - Song and Lyrics Discussion

Log lady

7 hours ago, holdingyourdrink said:

This is very true. For me personally, listening to his music and further exploring his work made me rediscover the artistic side of me, one that I had laid to rest for many years. Creativity begets creativity. His creativity is like a catalyst. Not just to me, to many! 

You know—well, most of you probably don’t—-in the last century there was an amazing tv phenomenon, the show that I cite in my sig line, Buffy the Vampy Slayer. It spawned the earliest of the chat forums about the entertainment industry. Endless analyses. And also many many many research projects, some by scholars and social scientists. I would just love it if the Mika phenomenon would lead to the same thing.

Oh! Wait! I have an idea for a forum or thread or whatever that could also serve as a field study if anyone gets inspired.

I will start a conversation “how has Mika impacted your life” or “what effect has Mika had on you”. I need help with the title and write-up because I would not want it to be a place to merely talk about fan type feelings….not merely how kewl he is or how much pple love his music or his chest or his hair or his smile or his eyes……. (sorry, I got lost for a minute) but really the stuff we opened up here. Perhaps the mods could split off some of this conversation for the thread? Like starting at July 16 or somewhere after? Ideas please!

to me this is more for focusing on the impact or changes due to Mika rather than the creations themselves, but ymmv.

Edited by QueenBigFat
  • Like 4

On 9/26/2023 at 12:31 AM, QueenBigFat said:

You know—well, most of you probably don’t—-in the last century there was an amazing tv phenomenon, the show that I cite in my sig line, Buffy the Vampy Slayer. It spawned the earliest of the chat forums about the entertainment industry. Endless analyses. And also many many many research projects, some by scholars and social scientists. I would just love it if the Mika phenomenon would lead to the same thing.

Buffy! Of course I know Buffy! I’m team Angel :biggrin2: I wasn’t aware of what impact it had, but I think I can safely say we have a very similar phenomenon going on here :wink2: 

On 9/26/2023 at 12:31 AM, QueenBigFat said:

to me this is more for focusing on the impact or changes due to Mika rather than the creations themselves, but ymmv.

Do you have Instagram? The artists that are active and inspired by Mika (talking about musicians, crafty people, painters etc) mostly post their work there and not so much on the forum. Just FYI :thumb_yello:

• Like 2

9 hours ago, holdingyourdrink said:

about musicians, crafty people, painters etc) mostly post their work there and not so much on the forum.

Is there a central thread where everyone who has work on Insta can link to it? Do you think that might be a good thing to suggest on the thread I am proposing here?

And now to the important point….

9 hours ago, holdingyourdrink said:

Buffy! Of course I know Buffy! I’m team Angel :biggrin2: I wasn’t aware of what impact it had, but I think I can safely say we have a very similar phenomenon going on here 

Uh oh! Uh oh! Extreme OT alert! We may have to DM this conversations over drinks (you can hold mine). Because Buffy conversations can go on for a loooooooooong distance!

I must admit I am neither team Angel nor Team Spike, but….both in their own time. I mean, Buffy had not even had a chance to be Buffy. Leaving the graphic novels aside, who knows what she would have become, or who she would have chosen, once she became a cookie?

I am a sucker for vulnerable men (I dunno, does anyone come to mind when I say that?) so after Spike got his soul (following the indescribably hideous event that shall remain nameless), I kinda loved him. And that finale’??! Tore me into little pieces.

But more than that, Becoming, pt 2, was the most amazingly heartbreaking moment I have ever seen on tv. So unexpected. Like nothing ever done. Ya know?

• Like 1

On 9/25/2023 at 6:31 PM, QueenBigFat said:

I will start a conversation “how has Mika impacted your life” or “what effect has Mika had on you”. I need help with the title and write-up because I would not want it to be a place to merely talk about fan type feelings….not merely how kewl he is or how much pple love his music or his chest or his hair or his smile or his eyes……. (sorry, I got lost for a minute) but really the stuff we opened up here. Perhaps the mods could split off some of this conversation for the thread? Like starting at July 16 or somewhere after? Ideas please!

So I have come up with a description of the thread I am suggesting. (It is a thread, right?) i could use feedback…still working on the title….so far it is “Thank God That You Found Me (us)….and if anyone agrees with maybe pulling the last few posts that relate to the topic from here? 

Anyhoo, here it is: (no idea how the highlighting got there)

Millions are hugely entertained by his music and performances, but for many, the Mika experience is also profoundly life changing. Have you been impacted emotionally or creatively by the phenomenon that is Mika? Are you motivated, inspired, your musical or artistic side kindled, or rekindled? Are you kinder towards yourself or others? Has Mika inspired you to be brave? Allowed you heal from trauma? Helped you break free of oppression? You are invited to share your experience. It doesn’t have to be a big dramatic story: after all, tiny steps are as valuable as tiny love.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, QueenBigFat said:

“Thank God That You Found Me (us)

I love this idea too and the title! I don't think there's a thread already about how Mika has changed lives, so go for it!

1 hour ago, QueenBigFat said:

It's up! 
where best to let people know? Chat? 
What does anyone think about asking the mods to maybe move some of the last few posts over from here?

thanx for the help. :thumb_yello:

The problem with moving the posts over to your new thread is that their dates will put them at the top of the thread, before your introductory post. (I can't change the dates without getting into a whole coding situation that is more complicated than I want to tackle.) I guess I can copy your introduction into one of your posts, though... I'll try it and see what happens.

EDIT: Actually, in looking at it, I think it might be good to just start fresh with your new thread as it is, and not move any of the old posts. If anyone wants to copy anything they've written here and paste it over there, feel free.

Also, given the subject matter, I think I'm going to move your new thread over to the "Chat About Mika" section, as this section is more for talking more specifically about his art and music.

The new thread QBF has started is here:

And if you feel it gets too personal and you would prefer that it's not open to the general public, I can move it to a "members only" section to make it a little more private. Just let me know.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, dcdeb said:

The problem with moving the posts over to your new thread is that their dates will put them at the top of the thread, before your introductory post. (I can't change the dates without getting into a whole coding situation that is more complicated than I want to tackle.) I guess I can copy your introduction into one of your posts, though... I'll try it and see what happens.

Thanks for replying, Deb.

would another idea be for those of us who have been posting about this topic in the past few days to simply re-post those posts, or a version of same, in the other thread? (Though as I think about it that would be messy because of posts citing other posts…)….OR— We could simply add a note in the beginning of the thread referring people here to see early posts on the topic? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, QueenBigFat said:

Thanks for replying, Deb.

would another idea be for those of us who have been posting about this topic in the past few days to simply re-post those posts, or a version of same, in the other thread? (Though as I think about it that would be messy because of posts citing other posts…)….OR— We could simply add a note in the beginning of the thread referring people here to see early posts on the topic? 

If you'd like to repost things you've already written, that's fine. You'll probably want to tweak them a bit and maybe add some context. And the whole "out of context" issue is why I decided it's better if I don't move the posts you've already made.

• Like 1

On 9/29/2023 at 3:15 PM, dcdeb said:

And if you feel it gets too personal and you would prefer that it's not open to the general public, I can move it to a "members only" section to make it a little more private. Just let me know.

Deb, I can’t believe that I only recently figured out that when I address “the mods”—-you are the Mods.:blink: Thanks for assisting me with all my junk!

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, QueenBigFat said:

I only recently figured out that when I address “the mods”—-you are the Mods

Hahah that's so funny. There are several mods but Deb is THE mod. The Big Boss. The Mama Mod. The administrator of administrators...

On 9/29/2023 at 9:41 PM, dcdeb said:

You'll probably want to tweak them a bit and maybe add some context.

I just went through the posts starting from 25th September and copied the main points from this topic to the new thread.

So if you just want to delete them here to keep things on topic, I'd be fine with that. Otherwise I suggest we just leave it at that and continue the conversation in the Thank God That You Found Me Thread.

Edited by CharlotteL

On 9/30/2023 at 7:25 PM, QueenBigFat said:

Deb, I can’t believe that I only recently figured out that when I address “the mods”—-you are the Mods.:blink: Thanks for assisting me with all my junk!

:lol3:  As Charlotte notes below, no, I'm not the only mod -- we also have @mellody and @silver making up the Mod Team, along with @Kumazzz who helps out with a lot of stuff as well as a few others who help unofficially. :)  It just so happens that I've been the first one to respond to you recently. Lucky you! ;)

On 10/1/2023 at 4:36 AM, CharlotteL said:

Hahah that's so funny. There are several mods but Deb is THE mod. The Big Boss. The Mama Mod. The administrator of administrators...

Yes, I'm technically the admin, although Karin / mellody has some admin authority, too. It's just that I have been working directly with Mika's team the longest. Persistence. :)

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, dcdeb said:

Charlotte notes below, no, I'm not the only mod -- we also have @mellody and @silver making up the Mod Team, along with @Kumazzz who helps out with a lot of stuff as well as a few others who help unofficially. :)  It just so happens that I've been the first one to respond to you recently. Lucky you! ;)

Bureaucracy is so confusing. :giveup:

24 minutes ago, dcdeb said:

It's just that I have been working directly with Mika's team the longest. Persistence. :)

you ARE the only one working with them... My strength is more in the content, design and technical side, than staying in touch with people. 😅

16 minutes ago, QueenBigFat said:

Bureaucracy is so confusing. :giveup:

We actually have it on our list to make it a bit clearer for everyone who of us does what, here on the forum and on social media, because it IS confusing. It's not really bureaucracy, it's a structure that has grown over years and that also stays flexible in a certain way because we're all volunteers.

Anyway, going a bit OT here, lol! Um... enjoy the party, tho it's NOT our last, haha! :lol3: (feeble try to find some link back to the topic of this thread 🙈)

• Like 4

That all was actually very helpful. I recall a section about Modzzzzzzz but since deb seemed to be the one stuck with me I got confused. And it always helps to get the Big Picture. Another example of MFC being consumer friendly. Thx, all!

• Like 2

On 9/24/2023 at 9:45 AM, sarinaa said:

The one for Last Party, however, I also wholeheartedly adore. It really couldn't be more simple, yet genius. Not only does he look staggeringly gorgeous in it, the emotions really convey and reach me 100%. And I do think it was the best choice for this song - artistically, I mean.

Hey, sarinaa,

back on topic after a long time…I just stumbled on the discussion about the video of Last Party, and what I never knew (never in the four months I have been learning about Mika) was that the video was the first time Mika put himself out there as just…Mika. No goofiness or silliness or craziness or hypnotic manic colors or other distractions to hide behind (and keep him protected but separate). Wow.  It was so informative to read about that. To see that maybe he never felt safe enough to be vulnerable for his audience before that point. He always seemed so real and relaxed in interviews and even in his interactions with his audiences but looking back I have no idea what the dates of it all were. I wonder if he changed after that. Maybe some of you who have seen concerts over the years might have thoughts.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, QueenBigFat said:

I just stumbled on the discussion about the video of Last Party, and what I never knew (never in the four months I have been learning about Mika) was that the video was the first time Mika put himself out there as just…Mika. No goofiness or silliness or craziness or hypnotic manic colors or other distractions to hide behind (and keep him protected but separate). Wow.  It was so informative to read about that. To see that maybe he never felt safe enough to be vulnerable for his audience before that point.

If you have the time, you really should watch “Le Divan” (it’s an hour long in depth interview, he became good friends with the interviewer after that). He speaks shortly about making the Last Party video with Peter Lindbergh and how Peter had the talent to allow him (and anyone else in front of his lens) to feel safe and allow themselves to show their vulnerability:

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, holdingyourdrink said:

If you have the time, you really should watch “Le Divan” (it’s an hour long in depth interview, he became good friends with the interviewer after that). He speaks shortly about making the Last Party video with Peter Lindbergh and how Peter had the talent to allow him (and anyone else in front of his lens) to feel safe and allow themselves to show their vulnerability:

Thanks! I read an abbreviated transcript, I think, in the thread, if we are talking about the same thing. He says Lindbergh was kind, and thus safe. Funny, because that’s the impact Mika has had on me, remotely. I’ll go check it out.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, QueenBigFat said:

Thanks! I read an abbreviated transcript, I think, in the thread, if we are talking about the same thing. He says Lindbergh was kind, and thus safe. Funny, because that’s the impact Mika has had on me, remotely. I’ll go check it out.

Lindbergh is just a tiny tiny part of it, but the whole interview is interesting and gives you a different energy from his “normal”interviews.

• Like 1

OK, I’m back.

wow. That was intense.

I have watched a lot of interviews with Mika where he talks about a lot of this stuff but it is different here. Maybe the structure had something to do with it, like the psychoanalytic structure with the interviewer sitting out of his sight. Later interview s felt more disconnected from the feelings, but this one—-! His sad eyes, god. And that little boy face when he went right back there….and how he got this look on his face that seemed to say please don’t hurt me. I felt so protective, watching that. 

So now it’s 2:30 in the morning and  I have a serious insomnia issue, so like if I am activated emotionally or whatever close to when I go sleep, I ….don’t. Well, it was worth it. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, QueenBigFat said:

I have watched a lot of interviews with Mika where he talks about a lot of this stuff but it is different here.

It is a very honest interview where he was left very vulnerable. I have to admit I usually don’t take the time to look at all his interviews (both filmed or written) he has done. I only skim through to get an impression. But from all the impressions of interviews I have gotten, I haven’t seen interviews like this again (like you said, in other interviews he is more emotionally detached compared to this one). He felt safe enough to open up like that, just like in the shooting with Peter Lindbergh - not just the photoshoot, but especially the music video for Last Party.

And good night! Dear me, that’s late!! 

• Like 3

Thanks @holdingyourdrink for the link to that interview, and thanks for @QueenBigFat for opening the discussion again – otherwise I probably would've never found this one! What an intensive interview indeed :tears: Definitely creates the feeling and notion of a classic Freudian psychoanalysis session, but I also think that's why it works. I watched the whole thing and omg the way he can't even look at the screen when Yasmine's video message is shown, I feel like he was actually fighting the tears :') 

• Like 1