82, rue des Martyrs (Karen) - Discussion

@crazyaboutmika Thank you for the lyrics. It is not helping me much though:dunno:

Perhaps those non-native French speakers who said they love the lyrics and can speak English will help us translate what he means as google translator is no real help.:cool:

That's only a first draft but I will translate it in English and post it asap :wink2:

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I don't know about many of you guys who think the new songs are pretty plain or overrated with nothing too catchy, but for me they work perfectly. And I really like this thing about Meeks - Even though he has that certain style of his, he manages to come up with different sounds so every single fan of his gets what he/she wants to hear. There're a couple songs of his that I don't like either, but these new ones simply DO IT for me. "Karen" is absolutely beautiful, if you ask me; that variety of beats sounds pretty amazing.

@crazyaboutmika Thank you for the lyrics. It is not helping me much though:dunno:

Perhaps those non-native French speakers who said they love the lyrics and can speak English will help us translate what he means as google translator is no real help.:cool:

There you go :remember this is only a draft I don't get all the words

She has in her hands a slum or not, in the martyr street , number 82, Karen

keep your feelings

She would like a better life for her brothers and her sisters who returned to the ranks (meaning behaved; dunno if "return to the ranks" is accurate )

Cause he says that Paris is big, another life is waiting for her, she says she is not for sale

She is always hanging around with her old red (wine, clothe ?), that this is life and life moves around, nobody undertands why, Karen doesn't care (give a f*)

She is free, she is free

Karen sleeps with (jailed men , dumb man , not quite sure which) she says that will make the others envious

She sings other people's songs, sings our dreams and hers

She is fifty and she smokes on a small white bed

She says she will visit her mother at number 82

One day love, it knocked at her door, she screamed to it to go out, I don't open to strangers

Cause he says that Paris is big, another life is waiting for her, she says she is not for sale

She says she's worth more than that because she is free, she is free

She sings other people's songs, sings our dreams and hers

On her old rotten matress this awful spring enters into her flanks

She say she won't get caught , try to understand why , she is free

Edited by crazyaboutmika

I agree with you and Mr Violet. :thumb_yello::teehee:

The Viva la Vida bit comes from a particular remix of Rain - maybe he forgot that sample was not his own in the first place :doh::roftl:

Actually, isn't this the bit Coldplay was sued for copyright infridgement? He'd better be careful.

I am pleased his best songs are still in English. Blame it on the Weather is a masterpiece - I hope he won't spoil it with the production.

Viva La Vida - that's it, I couldn't think what it reminded me of. And the Rain remix, of course. What do you mean about Coldplay sueing....did they? Must have missed that :blink:.

well, i try, but it's quite hard from this recording :naughty:

here are random sentences i picked up & translated :aah:

she always says she will be a star, she sleeps with a jerk (i'm using the milder of all translation for this word :teehee:) & sings other's songs

she lives with her mom 2 streets down from 82 des martyrs

he came by her house & knocked at the door

she told him she doesn't answer to strangers

she sings at the 82 des martyrs

at 50, she still doesn't have money

she sleeps on a rotted mattress & the springs dig into her side

but she is freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

:lmfao:

does that help? :naughty:

I've read the fuller, later translations too and am very impatient to get to hear it sung clearly enough so I can understand it in French. It could be very poingnat. Or it could be Copacabana withough the joie de vivre, sex, and violence

Not feeling this at all. Sounds boring and dated to me, but I am going to chalk that up to the video. I think it may be one of the ones I would much prefer live (like Any Other World). Going to have to reserve any real judgement until I hear it for myself.

Same. I didn't have much of a reaction to it.

Viva La Vida - that's it, I couldn't think what it reminded me of. And the Rain remix, of course. What do you mean about Coldplay sueing....did they? Must have missed that :blink:.

Here it is:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/12/05/coldplay-sued-for-plagiar_n_148676.html

Not sure if there is already an outcome of it and if so, what it is.

I think I listened to the bit that time from this guitarist and there seemed to be a base for the accusations.

There you go :remember this is only a draft I don't get all the words

Thank you! :flowers2:

What I meant is, though, how the lyrics can be described as beautiful with even a native speakers struggling to understand them properly.

Basically, think it is the story that is 'beautiful' / touching..etc. for most people who do not speak French at a good level. And that is also the reason why I don't feel connected to this song at all.

Edited by suzie

I like this song very much. I think it's very good! more complicated than EMD (melodically). personally I don't like reminiscences from other songs in Mika's songs, yes , I heard viva la vida for a few seconds...like in rain...but I forgot about it in rain case so maybe I will forget now too

ok, what i hear in french, to be able to translate then:teehee: (dear mika, thanks for your american-french accent:roftl:)(thanks Anne for the earlier scraps, helped me fill a few gaps LOL)

Déjà entre ses doigts, un taudis ou pas, Rue des Martyrs, au 82, Karen est son prénom.

Elle voudrait une vie meilleure, que ses frères et ses soeurs,

Qui sont rentrés dans les rangs

(Chorus)

Karen dit que Paris c'est grand, qu'une autre vie l'attend, et qu'on ne l'achètera pas.

Karen porte toujours le rouge de ses lèvres(not sure here) et elle bouge sans comprendre pourquoi.

Karen s'en fou elle est libre, libre.

Karen dit qu'elle sera une star, couche avec des connards, et elle fera des envieux.

Karen trinque toujours à la votre, chante les chansons des autres.

Chante ses rêves et les notres.

Chante au Bistro 82.

Karen (??), mais elle n'a rien d'autre à faire, même pas des enfants, même pas la poussière.

Elle vit chez sa mère, juste à deux rues du 82, un jour l'amour est venu.

Il a frappé à sa porte, elle a crié qu'il sorte, je n'ouvre pas aux inconnus.

(Chorus)

Karen dit que Paris c'est grand, qu'une autre vie l'attend, et qu'on ne l'achètera pas.

Karen porte toujours le rouge de ses lèvres(not sure here) et elle bouge sans comprendre pourquoi.

Karen dit qu'elle sera une star, couche avec des connards, et elle fera des envieux.

Chante au Bistro 82.

Chante au Bistro 82.

Chante au Bistro 82.

Karen a 50 ans, pas d'ami pas d'argent, (??) sur un petit lit blanc.

Elle se dit qu'elle pense avoir un rêve(not sure), au 82, mais on mourra tous avant(wow, thats not clear:roftl:)

Sur son vieux matelas pourris, pleins de ressorts, qui lui rentrent dans les jambes.

Karen dit (???), elle dit qu'on ne l'arrêtera pas.

Karen(??) elle se bat, sans comprendre pourquoi, Karen s'en va,

Elle est libre, libre.

Elle est libre, elle est libre.

Chante au Bistro 82.

Chante au Bistro 82.

Chante au Bistro 82.

Edited by LilStar

i actually quite love this song:teehee:

The lyrics in french sound a bit odd for mika... he write really better in english, but the essential of the song REALLY sounds like him:wub2:

im in love:fangurl:

The lyrics in french sound a bit odd for mika... he write really better in english, but the essential of the song REALLY sounds like him:wub2:

You're good, I would not be able to write the lyrics down:roftl:

Realy like it too:wub2:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand translating:teehee:

i know its not the same for you guys, but its still my effort to help you!:naughty:

(we missed the beggining here)

Already inbetween her fingers, slums or not, Martyrs street, at the 82, Karen is her name.

She'd like a better life, than her brothers and sisters, that got into ranks (here it would mean to be passive, to forget their dreams and do what they had to do)

(Chorus)

Karen says that Paris is big, that another life is waiting for her, and that no one will buy her.

Karen always wear red on her lips, she moves and she doesnt know why.

She is free, free.

Karen says she will be a star, sleeps with bastards, that people will be envious.

Karen always drinks to you, sings other peoples songs, sings her dreams and ours.

Sings at the Bistro 82.

Karen (something), but shes got nothing else to do, not even kids, not even dust.

She lives with her mother, 2 streets away from the 82, one day love came.

It knocked on her door, she screamed for it to get out, "i dont open to strangers".

(Chorus)

Karen says that Paris is big, that another life is waiting for her, and that no one will buy her.

She is free, free.

Karen says she will be a star, sleeps with bastards, that people will be envious.

Karen always drinks to you, sings other peoples songs, sings her dreams and ours.

Sings at the Bistro 82.

Sings at the Bistro 82.

Sings at the Bistro 82.

Karen is 50 years old, no friends no money, (??) sleeps on a little white bed.

She says she thinks she had a dream, at the 82, but that we'll all die before.

On her old rotten mattress, full of springs that get into her legs.

Karen says (??), that nothing will stop her.

Karen (??), she fights, she doesnt know why, Karen leaves.

She is free, free.

She is free, she is free

Sings at the Bistro 82.

Sings at the Bistro 82.

Sings at the Bistro 82.

:biggrin2:

i know its not the same for you guys, but its still my effort to help you!:naughty:

Already inbetween her fingers, slums or not, Martyrs street, at the 82, Karen is her name.

She'd like a better life, than her brothers and sisters, that got into ranks (here it would mean to be passive, to forget their dreams and do what they had to do)

(Chorus)

She is free, free.

Sings at the Bistro 82.

Karen (something), but shes got nothing else to do, not even kids, not even dust.

It knocked on her door, she screamed for it to get out, "i dont open to strangers".

(Chorus)

She is free, free.

Sings at the Bistro 82.

Sings at the Bistro 82.

Sings at the Bistro 82.

She is free, free.

She is free, she is free

Sings at the Bistro 82.

Sings at the Bistro 82.

Sings at the Bistro 82.

YAY! The good of having a French speaker friend. :mf_rosetinted: Thank you, sweetie! :wub2:

He simply loves these laydees. :naughty:

Here's another one.. I think the sound is a bit clearer :biggrin2:

[YOUTUBE]jOIe7Ue4r5s[/YOUTUBE]

HD! :biggrin2: Thank you!

Thanks for the lyrics! :huglove: I love it.:wub2:

The spirit and the theme of this song is quite Mikaish and very melanholic at the same time and I think the english version (not the translation) would be also good in a bit different way of course :wink2:

ok, what i hear in french, to be able to translate then:teehee: (dear mika, thanks for your american-french accent:roftl:)(thanks Anne for the earlier scraps, helped me fill a few gaps LOL)

Déjà entre ses doigts, un taudis ou pas, Rue des Martyrs, au 82, Karen est son prénom.

(Chorus)

Chante au Bistro 82.

Karen (??), mais elle n'a rien d'autre à faire, même pas des enfants, même pas la poussière.

(Chorus)

Chante au Bistro 82.

Chante au Bistro 82.

Chante au Bistro 82.

Elle se dit qu'elle pense avoir un rêve(not sure), au 82, mais on mourra tous avant(wow, thats not clear:roftl:)

Sur son vieux matelas pourris, pleins de ressorts, qui lui rentrent dans les jambes.

Karen dit (???), elle dit qu'on ne l'arrêtera pas.

Karen(??) elle se bat, sans comprendre pourquoi, Karen s'en va,

Elle est libre, libre.

Chante au Bistro 82.

Chante au Bistro 82.

Chante au Bistro 82.

hi!

i hear some parts a little different^^ that's not so easy to get it^^

Karen a 20 ans

Karen a rien d'autre

Et le temps file Déjà entre ses doigts, accoudée au bar, Rue des Martyrs, au 82, Karen fait son bilan.

(Chorus)

Karen dit que Paris c'est grand, qu'une autre vie l'attend, elle dit qu'on ne l'achètera pas.

Karen s'en fou elle est libre,elle est libre.

Karen dit qu'elle sera une star, couche avec des connards, elle dit qu'elle fera des envieux.

Chante au Bistro 82.

Karen à 30 ans, mais elle n'a rien d'autre à faire, même pas des enfants, même pas la poussière.

(Chorus)

Karen mise alors sur le rouge de ses lèvres(not sure here) et elle bouge elle dit qu'elle vaut mieux qu'ca.

Chante au Bistro 82.

Chante au Bistro 82.

Chante au Bistro 82.

Elle se dit qu'elle passera boire un verre, au 82, mais elle mourra ?? juste avant

Sur son vieux matelas pourris, ce chien de ressort, qui lui rentre dans les flancs.

Karen dit que le vie c'est dur, va tout droit dans le mur, elle dit qu'on ne l'arrêtera pas.

Karen mise alors sur le noir, ferme les yeux et se barre, sans comprendre pourquoi, Karen s'en va,

Elle est libre, libre.

Chante au Bistro 82.

Chante au Bistro 82.

Chante au Bistro 82.

but i'm not that sure^^

anyway, i like that new song!

Edited by w-lil

hi!

Karen a 20 ans

Karen a rien d'autre

Et le temps file Déjà entre ses doigts, accoudée au bar, Rue des Martyrs, au 82, Karen fait son bilan.

(Chorus)

Karen dit que Paris c'est grand, qu'une autre vie l'attend, elle dit qu'on ne l'achètera pas.

Karen dit qu'elle sera une star, couche avec des connards, elle dit qu'elle fera des envieux.

Chante au Bistro 82.

Karen à 30 ans, mais elle n'a rien d'autre à faire, même pas des enfants, même pas la poussière.

(Chorus)

Karen mise alors sur le rouge de ses lèvres(not sure here) et elle bouge elle dit qu'elle vaut mieux qu'ca.

Chante au Bistro 82.

Chante au Bistro 82.

Chante au Bistro 82.

Elle se dit qu'elle passera boire un verre, au 82, mais elle mourra juste avant

Sur son vieux matelas pourris, ce chien de ressorts, qui lui rentrent dans les flancs.

Karen dit que le vie c'est dur, va tout droit dans le mur, elle dit qu'on ne l'arrêtera pas.

Karen mise alors sur le noir, ferme les yeux et se barre, sans comprendre pourquoi, Karen s'en va,

Elle est libre, libre.

Chante au Bistro 82.

Chante au Bistro 82.

Chante au Bistro 82.

but i'm not that sure^^

Thanks for the lyrics! Really useful!

For me 86,RdM>elle me dit. Am I the only one?

(Chorus)

She is free, free.

Sings at the Bistro 82.

(Chorus)

She is free, free.

Sings at the Bistro 82.

Sings at the Bistro 82.

Sings at the Bistro 82.

She is free, free.

She is free, she is free

Sings at the Bistro 82.

Sings at the Bistro 82.

Sings at the Bistro 82.

hi!

Karen a 20 ans

Karen a rien d'autre

(Chorus)

Chante au Bistro 82.

(Chorus)

Chante au Bistro 82.

Chante au Bistro 82.

Chante au Bistro 82.

Elle se dit qu'elle passera boire un verre, au 82, mais elle mourra juste avant

Sur son vieux matelas pourris, ce chien de ressorts, qui lui rentrent dans les flancs.

Elle est libre, libre.

Chante au Bistro 82.

Chante au Bistro 82.

Chante au Bistro 82.

but i'm not that sure^^

:thumb_yello: Thank you both :pinkbow: