82, rue des Martyrs (Karen) - Discussion

You can't sing along to this song instantly. But to my mind the melody is fascinating nevertheless - really fascinating. At the beginning "82, rue de martyrs" is a little bit like a chanson. But then the songs turns and gets "wide" and positive - and you can feel the freedom.

This is what I've been wanting to say, but was unable to find the words. :wub2: I think this song is so beautiful and touching, and it's been in my head all day.

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it's quite catchy, and I love his voice where he sings with a passion. No doubt he is trying it out to see what sort of reception it gets, and he will tweak it further.

Some of it does seem quite familiar though...can't place it....

hi!

i hear some parts a little different^^ that's not so easy to get it^^

Karen a 20 ans

Karen a rien d'autre

Et le temps file Déjà entre ses doigts, accoudée au bar, Rue des Martyrs, au 82, Karen fait son bilan.

Elle voudrait une vie meilleure, que ses frères et ses soeurs,

Qui sont rentrés dans les rangs

(Chorus)

Karen dit que Paris c'est grand, qu'une autre vie l'attend, elle dit qu'on ne l'achètera pas.

Karen porte toujours le rouge de ses lèvres(not sure here) et elle bouge sans comprendre pourquoi.

Karen s'en fou elle est libre,elle est libre.

Karen dit qu'elle sera une star, couche avec des connards, elle dit qu'elle fera des envieux.

Karen trinque toujours à la votre, chante les chansons des autres.

Chante ses rêves et les notres.

Chante au Bistro 82.

Karen à 30 ans, mais elle n'a rien d'autre à faire, même pas des enfants, même pas la poussière.

Elle vit chez sa mère, juste à deux rues du 82, un jour l'amour est venu.

Il a frappé à sa porte, elle a crié qu'il sorte, je n'ouvre pas aux inconnus.

(Chorus)

Karen dit que Paris c'est grand, qu'une autre vie l'attend, et qu'on ne l'achètera pas.

Karen mise alors sur le rouge de ses lèvres(not sure here) et elle bouge elle dit qu'elle vaut mieux qu'ca.

Karen s'en fou elle est libre, libre.

Karen dit qu'elle sera une star, couche avec des connards, et elle fera des envieux.

Chante au Bistro 82.

Chante au Bistro 82.

Chante au Bistro 82.

Karen a 50 ans, pas d'ami pas d'argent, (??) sur un petit lit blanc.

Elle se dit qu'elle passera boire un verre, au 82, mais elle mourra ?? juste avant

Sur son vieux matelas pourris, ce chien de ressort, qui lui rentre dans les flancs.

Karen dit que le vie c'est dur, va tout droit dans le mur, elle dit qu'on ne l'arrêtera pas.

Karen mise alors sur le noir, ferme les yeux et se barre, sans comprendre pourquoi, Karen s'en va,

Elle est libre, libre.

Elle est libre, elle est libre.

Karen dit qu'elle sera une star, couche avec des connards, et elle fera des envieux.

Chante au Bistro 82.

Chante au Bistro 82.

Chante au Bistro 82.

but i'm not that sure^^

anyway, i like that new song!

your corrections are very right:biggrin2:

the more i listen to it, the more i get it:roftl:

I am totally in love with this song!!! I love all the new songs, but this is my favorite. Elle Me Dit is second. I find it funny that I don't know any French but the two songs in French are the ones I like the most and the one in English is my least favorite :teehee:

Thank you Crazyaboutmika and Roxy for the translations!

..and an unstructured song like Karen is not going to take him anywhere.

I think if half of his long term fans don't like these, it is a sign for him and not for us :dunno:

Anyway, people are posting their opinions because they care and I am sure they will be here to listen to the third album, too, and decide if they want to take part in the game for the coming years or not.

Good description :aah:

I am totally in love with this song!!! I love all the new songs, but this is my favorite. Elle Me Dit is second. I find it funny that I don't know any French but the two songs in French are the ones I like the most and the one in English is my least favorite :teehee:

I feel the exact same way. Elle Me Dit is okay as a dance track, and I haven't paid much attention to the new English song, really. But this one I've watched probably 10 times. There's *something* to it - it builds up in the verses and then the "elle est libre" bit soars. :wub2:

We need the correct lyrics, dammit, if any of us non-French speakers are ever going to have a hope of learning it. Cough 'em up, Mika! :insane:

I feel the exact same way. Elle Me Dit is okay as a dance track, and I haven't paid much attention to the new English song, really. But this one I've watched probably 10 times. There's *something* to it - it builds up in the verses and then the "elle est libre" bit soars. :wub2:

We need the correct lyrics, dammit, if any of us non-French speakers are ever going to have a hope of learning it. Cough 'em up, Mika! :insane:

Couldn't be more agree! :blush-anim-cl:

Yes, please do!:biggrin2:

I like the non-standard structure and the changing of melody & of slow/fast. And although I didn't know what the song was about until now I "understood" it emotionally because of the way Mika sings it.

I actually do understand what you mean. However, since it does not have the traditional song structure and a strong tune I cannot relate to it emotionally at all because it is in French. :dunno:

Never mind. These songs are clearly just in the 'also ran' category for the album, which I expect to be much more exciting.

I actually do understand what you mean. However, since it does not have the traditional song structure and a strong tune I cannot relate to it emotionally at all because it is in French. :dunno:

Never mind. These songs are clearly just in the 'also ran' category for the album, which I expect to be much more exciting.

I think it does have a strong tune, it's just not an immediately obvious one, as there is no standard chorus to hook the listener. It seems to be a song that takes a few listens to get into your brain.

We tend to know Mika as the writer of very instantly catchy songs and hooks but maybe he is learning to write songs that are growers. Often such songs are more rewarding in the long term. This is just one song out of many new ones we'll hear by next year though, and I'm sure there'll be plenty of instantly hooky songs in the new repertoire too, it's his trademark after all along with his Freddy Mercury Bee Gees Leo Sayer vocals and curly mop (oh wait...) :mf_rosetinted::naughty:

I think it does have a strong tune, it's just not an immediately obvious one, as there is no standard chorus to hook the listener. It seems to be a song that takes a few listens to get into your brain.

Yes, I can sense the 'strong tune' but it is not the type of hook that one can 'whistle along' even if they don't understand the lyrics. If it was in English, it would work for me on an 'OK level' and mainly because of the way he sings it and also probably the story if I understood the words he uses.

I want 'excellent' songs though. I know he can write those, too.

Yes, I think the same too. If it was in English I could understand most of the song, but the lyrics that you put helped me a lot! I don't know French, only a bit like English...although i know more english than french...but well, I read the lyrics in french and I'm happy to say that this song is so beautiful! I love it!

I cannot hear any melody in this song, and it's not a dance song...so, what's this? :shocked:

it's slow...and then some 'boom boom' but it never flies!

I don't like it at all, it's the worst of the new 3 songs for me.

I repeat myself, but i feel Mika's genius collapsing fast.

Sadly, I agree with you. :sad: I tried to listen to it several times but the only tune I can recall it is the Viva la Vida bit, which he MUST get rid of when he records this even if it is just a bonus track on the French edition.

Summed up my own feelings quite well :boxed: I didn't want to start it myself cause I am told that I am not a good fan :roftl: but yes, basically that is what I thought.

I found the song boring, and just meh.

oh whoa!! :aah: I´m happy now that I never heard about "Viva la Vida" (I still don´t know if it´s a song or a band :aah:) so the song doesn´t remind me of anything... It´s good that we all have our different opinions, and I really expect that the album will be great, but this song is.... amazing.... I mean (talking about Karen) it´s not EMD (thankfully) and it´s not just a catchy song... about being sung in french... well, I was one of the first one complaining about EMD being the first single, and in french. But I´ve been thinking today and... well... when I was 12-14 years old, I could sing most of Queen and Michael Jackson songs, and I had no idea what they were talking about... I won´t say what I understood at the chorus of Smooth Criminal when Michael says "Annie are you ok?" cause I would die of shame :aah: but it never bothered me before!! I sang "Yellow submarine" zillions times before studying english... the same with "Show Must Go On"... That is the most amazing thing about music... I fell in love with Freddie, Paul Mc Cartney,Michael Jackson and Janis Joplin long time before internet arrived in my house, which means, before I could search for the lyrics. I listened to Freddie because of the pleasure of listening to his voice, and cried thousands of times with "Show Must Go on" even before knowing what the lyrics said...

Returning about the song, well, I love it, in fact, for me, along Grace Kelly,SITM and 3 or 4 songs more, it´s one of the best he ever wrote (if he did it :aah:). But music is like everything else in this world, some people love songs that others just hate, it´s all the same in every aspect of our lifes, but it´s great. I just hope that you all will like the album, cause I don´t want Mika to lose great people because of a change or "evolution"....

Yes, that "something" is what attracts me too... I can´t explain it either, it´s just... :swoon: , and no, I don´t understand a word, but I don´t mind. My english sucks, and for example, I love Beck and never ever searched for his lyrics, but still, I like to listen to his music every now and then... As long as the mellody or the "feeling" that the songs give me is "satisfactory" is ok for me. I loved Mika´s songs before knowing what he was saying, so I think I´ll keep up with the same! :aah:

oh whoa!! :aah: I´m happy now that I never heard about "Viva la Vida" (I still don´t know if it´s a song or a band :aah:) so the song doesn´t remind me of anything... It´s good that we all have our different opinions, and I really expect that the album will be great, but this song is.... amazing.... I mean (talking about Karen) it´s not EMD (thankfully) and it´s not just a catchy song... about being sung in french... well, I was one of the first one complaining about EMD being the first single, and in french. But I´ve been thinking today and... well... when I was 12-14 years old, I could sing most of Queen and Michael Jackson songs, and I had no idea what they were talking about... I won´t say what I understood at the chorus of Smooth Criminal when Michael says "Annie are you ok?" cause I would die of shame :aah: but it never bothered me before!! I sang "Yellow submarine" zillions times before studying english... the same with "Show Must Go On"... That is the most amazing thing about music... I fell in love with Freddie, Paul Mc Cartney,Michael Jackson and Janis Joplin long time before internet arrived in my house, which means, before I could search for the lyrics. I listened to Freddie because of the pleasure of listening to his voice, and cried thousands of times with "Show Must Go on" even before knowing what the lyrics said...

Returning about the song, well, I love it, in fact, for me, along Grace Kelly,SITM and 3 or 4 songs more, it´s one of the best he ever wrote (if he did it :aah:). But music is like everything else in this world, some people love songs that others just hate, it´s all the same in every aspect of our lifes, but it´s great. I just hope that you all will like the album, cause I don´t want Mika to lose great people because of a change or "evolution"....

Yes, that "something" is what attracts me too... I can´t explain it either, it´s just... :swoon: , and no, I don´t understand a word, but I don´t mind. My english sucks, and for example, I love Beck and never ever searched for his lyrics, but still, I like to listen to his music every now and then... As long as the mellody or the "feeling" that the songs give me is "satisfactory" is ok for me. I loved Mika´s songs before knowing what he was saying, so I think I´ll keep up with the same! :aah:

Rosa, thank you for putting in words what I've been struggling to say in the past few days.:thumb_yello:

As a non-english born person, I also grew up listening to song I barely understood but it didn't prevent me from loving them. Still, one of my favorite singer from Quebec has been singing in italian and even though I don,t understand the words, I can sense the general feeling of the song.

We tend to know Mika as the writer of very instantly catchy songs and hooks but maybe he is learning to write songs that are growers. Often such songs are more rewarding in the long term. This is just one song out of many new ones we'll hear by next year though, and I'm sure there'll be plenty of instantly hooky songs in the new repertoire too, it's his trademark after all along with his Freddy Mercury Bee Gees Leo Sayer vocals and curly mop (oh wait...) :mf_rosetinted::naughty:

Yes, well let's hope these new songs and the new album will get Mika well away from those tired old comparisons that people have insisted on making for years!

I long for the day when Mika is compared to no one else but MIKA.

Rosa, thank you for putting in words what I've been struggling to say in the past few days.:thumb_yello:

As a non-english born person, I also grew up listening to song I barely understood but it didn't prevent me from loving them. Still, one of my favorite singer from Quebec has been singing in italian and even though I don,t understand the words, I can sense the general feeling of the song.

It's definitely possible to enjoy a song without understanding the language. A good singer can transmit meaning (if only a general emotion and feel) which transcends the language barrier. One of my favourite bands sing mostly in Latvian, their native tongue, and I only know a very very small amount of that language yet I much prefer to hear their songs in Latvian than the English versions they do.

Yes, well let's hope these new songs and the new album will get Mika well away from those tired old comparisons that people have insisted on making for years!

I long for the day when Mika is compared to no one else but MIKA.

We live in hope :naughty:.

I really love the way he's performing this song.. so into it :wub2: .. And it really shows how beautiful his voice is.

Edited by Miro

Totaly second that :thumb_yello: My parents got tired of hearing me sing in japanese when I was teen :roftl: and sometimes german :naughty: couldn't catch a word of it

oh whoa!! :aah: I´m happy now that I never heard about "Viva la Vida" (I still don´t know if it´s a song or a band :aah:) so the song doesn´t remind me of anything...

But it is the Coldplay song Mika had taken a sample of in one of the Rain remixes. He used it on his last tour so I would have thought everyone recognised that - at least from the live version of Rain :dunno:

I mean (talking about Karen) it´s not EMD (thankfully) and it´s not just a catchy song... about being sung in french... well, I was one of the first one complaining about EMD being the first single, and in french. But I´ve been thinking today and... well... when I was 12-14 years old, I could sing most of Queen and Michael Jackson songs, and I had no idea what they were talking about...

yes, that is my point, too. In my opinion, EMD is catchy enough to become a hit whether you understand it or not. Some people might find it annoying but it is still a song one will remember the melody of. Karen, however, probably works more through the lyrics. At least for some people who expressed so. I can feel he is putting emotions into it but I am not impressed by the music on its own :dunno: It is not a bad song but it does not work for me, sadly. Maybe the recorded version will but that would be because of any additional instruments added...etc.

But it is the Coldplay song Mika had taken a sample of in one of the Rain remixes. He used it on his last tour so I would have thought everyone recognised that - at least from the live version of Rain :dunno:

yes, that is my point, too. In my opinion, EMD is catchy enough to become a hit whether you understand it or not. Some people might find it annoying but it is still a song one will remember the melody of. Karen, however, probably works more through the lyrics. At least for some people who expressed so. I can feel he is putting emotions into it but I am not impressed by the music on its own :dunno: It is not a bad song but it does not work for me, sadly. Maybe the recorded version will but that would be because of any additional instruments added...etc.

oh, thank you, no, never heard about Coldplay :aah:

About Karen, well, I think I fell in love the first time I listened to it... On the other hand I hated (with lots of passion) Over My Shoulder, and when I listened to it live at my first gig, I almost cried, and I learnt to listen to it in other mood... I fell in love with GK the same way it´s happening now with Karen, so I think, it has to do with lots of things, like the mood you are in at the moment you listen to the song the first time and stuff. Seriously, it´s one of the best for me. Maybe it´s just now, it´s new and I´m going to two gigs in less than 6 days, so, after this "boom" maybe I´ll calm down and change my opinion, but now... wow, I love it...

About Karen, well, I think I fell in love the first time I listened to it... On the other hand I hated (with lots of passion) Over My Shoulder, and when I listened to it live at my first gig, I almost cried, and I learnt to listen to it in other mood... I fell in love with GK the same way it´s happening now with Karen, so I think, it has to do with lots of things, like the mood you are in at the moment you listen to the song the first time and stuff. Seriously, it´s one of the best for me. Maybe it´s just now, it´s new and I´m going to two gigs in less than 6 days, so, after this "boom" maybe I´ll calm down and change my opinion, but now... wow, I love it...

I believe you! I am glad it works for several people. I am just trying to analyse why it doesn't for me... :dunno:

To me, Over My Shoulder is one of his most beautiful songs ever, both on record and when performed live. Luckily, people love different things and understand works of art in different way.

I am not even that much bothered that I am not impressed by these new songs at the moment, though acknowledging their strong traits. I merely consider these as side-tracks like Lonely Alcoholic was in 2009 (:bored:) but I believe the main track (i.e Mika's third album) will be different.

I believe you! I am glad it works for several people. I am just trying to analyse why it doesn't for me... :dunno:

To me, Over My Shoulder is one of his most beautiful songs ever, both on record and when performed live. Luckily, people love different things and understand works of art in different way.

I am not even that much bothered that I am not impressed by these new songs at the moment, though acknowledging their strong traits. I merely consider these as side-tracks like Lonely Alcoholic was in 2009 (:bored:) but I believe the main track (i.e Mika's third album) will be different.

yes, in fact these songs are not even being released in the main album (or at least it´s what I understand from his interviews) but still, I love this song. There are a few songs I can´t stand, like for example, all of the Songs for Sorrow. (well, if OMS is there, then it´s not true, cause now I love it), and By The Time... and maybe one or two more. It´s just that many songs make you feel better, innit?? this song, even I can´t understand a word, has strong feelings for me... maybe it´s just cause it was the first vid I watched from Compiegne, and with all those pictures on stage, and Mika with leggings (:aah:)... who knows? I just got stuck with it...

I have no idea how the album is going to be, but I do believe it´s gonna be awesome. And I don´t mean that I´m loving all the songs, if I check my MP3,I don´t have all his songs from his two first albums, so, I can deal with 2 or 3 awful songs in this one :aah: I just want to have a nice feeling after listening to all the songs, and not only a single, which I could love or hate... (I didn´t like WAG the first time I listened to it)...

This Karen makes me think that if he´s doing the same he did while writting this one, I´m gonna love the album...