Too-Rye-Ay - The '80s

Suzy

Born in the late 60s or early 70s? Then the '80s is surely a decade that influenced you. You may even remember a little bit if you were born in the early 80s...

- Come On Eileen (Dexy Midnight Runners)

- Tide is High (Blondie)

- Red, Red Wine (UB40)

...these were only some of my favourit songs from the 80s.

There was Live Aid, Band Aid, and USA for Africa. Other artists who made their mark in this decade were Michael Jackson, Prince, Madonna, Whitney Houston, Cyndi Lauper, Bowie, Wham, Rick Springfield, and the Eurythmics just to name a few.

My favourite show was FAME, but other popular shows were the Cosby Show, Different Strokes, Fantasy Island and the Love Boat.

I enjoyed the movies Flashdance and E.T. the Extra Terrestrial, Sixteen Candles and the Breakfast Club. Breakdancing was popular too!

Tell me what you remember?

How did the 80s impact you (besides MIKA being born...)? :wink2:

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm an 80s girl! My formative years.

Isn't it scary though how it only feels like yesterday...

For me the 80s is:

Hair gel/hairspray, the smell of it.

Shoulder pads in T-shirts - horrible.

Flat shoes OR stilettoes and nothing in between

Perms - not that I had or needed one!

Gender-benders (Boy George, Marilyn, David Sylvian, etc)

Stock, Aitken and Waterman

Piano house and acid

The Sony Walkman!

Dallas/Dynasty

I'll think of more when I've slept on it, it's late here!:biggrin2:

On the day Mika was born I was 14 years and 161 days old; I was on holiday in Corfu! Little did I know then..:roftl:

I was born in '87, but the 80's were still rockin' the airwaves in the early 90's, when I was ickle! :biggrin2: Because of this, I love loooooaaaaaads of 80's music!

Some of my fave 80's stuff~

UB40 (one of my first ever favourite bands!)

Michael Jackson

Klaus Nomi

Madness

Wham!

Depeche Mode

Madonna

Joy Division

And a TON of random cheesy synthpop hits, WOOOO XD

I also watched a bunch of 80's kids shows when I was little, like Button Moon, Postman Pat, Heathcliff, Thomas the Tank Engine, Trap Door...

Ah, the good old days... :wub2:

Shoulder pads in T-shirts - horrible.

Yes! And jelly shoes, leg warmers, and stirrup pants!

I also remember not being allowed to watch MTV...lol..

I think I remember reading MTV's first video was "Video Killed the Radio Star"!

Depeche Mode

Yes! I loved "Just Can't Get Enough"

I just remembered one of my favorite things from the 80s: The original Mario Brothers! Did that game rock your socks or what! My parents have old videos of me and my siblings when we were little and you can see us playing it...lol!

Actually, for me, PAC MAN was my first obsession before MIKA :roftl:

I was born in '89, but I remember all of that stuff as I grew up with siblings who were born in the 70s and seemed to be stuck on the 80s throughout most of the 90s. I look at photos of my sister and laugh, because she looks like the typical 80s girl, with the gigantic, poofy hair that she would put purple streaks in, heavy eye makeup and dangly earrings. She had this outfit that is in my closet still and it is a black dress with a fluorescent orange skirt and pink and green braces attached. I remember she used to wear it and would make me dance with her to Michael Jackson and would video tape us on one of those ginormous video cameras. I learned the Thriller dance at a very young age, and played all of the Super Mario games on my brother's Super Nintendo.

I was born in '89, but I remember all of that stuff as I grew up with siblings who were born in the 70s and seemed to be stuck on the 80s throughout most of the 90s. I look at photos of my sister and laugh, because she looks like the typical 80s girl, with the gigantic, poofy hair that she would put purple streaks in, heavy eye makeup and dangly earrings. She had this outfit that is in my closet still and it is a black dress with a fluorescent orange skirt and pink and green braces attached. I remember she used to wear it and would make me dance with her to Michael Jackson and would video tape us on one of those ginormous video cameras. I learned the Thriller dance at a very young age, and played all of the Super Mario games on my brother's Super Nintendo.

Fluorescent clothing! Forgot about that...

I'm now remembering being very scared of Michael Jackson's Thriller video everytime it came on! :shocked: Even scarier, were those tacky, fake leather Michael Jackson jackets people would wear!

I was born in 1985, but I actually remember a lot of it. I remember hearing songs by Prince, Wham, and Madonna on the radio. I also remember not being allowed to watch MTV...lol..

The 80s rocked. Still love to listen to the music...

same here! love the whole 80s music!!

Tell me what you remember?

How did the 80s impact you (besides MIKA being born...)? [/font]:wink2:

What I remember is:

Duran Duran vs Depeche Mode

Modern Talking, Sandra, Opus, Falco, Alphaville

Kim Wilde

Stock/Aitken/Waterman:thumbdown:

neon colours:mf_rosetinted:

hairbands

George Michael and GM lookalikes (with stubbles) :naughty:

Jacko :shocked:

Pet Shop Boys

Bros

A-ha

tape recorders

...all acceptable in the 80s... (by the way, that Calvin Harris song is brilliant)

and the impact? I like pastel colours now...:cool:

Ohh nice thread :thumb_yello:

Adam ant and that makeup , can anyone do the dance moves to prince charming :thumb_yello:

Duran Duran and the Rio video

The dark one from bananarma , mmmmmm me fancied :mf_lustslow:

Queen at wembley , too young to go :thumbdown:

Bross! and those bottle tops on training shoes

Human league man soo many!!!!

I loveee 80 music

When it comes to music I am a child of the 80s... :blush-anim-cl:

I was born in 1974 and I started listening to pop music (I mean - proper listening) at the age of 10/11. Eurythmics, Nena, Falco, Alphaville, Bruce Springsteen, the Cure, U2... In 1985 I developed a crush on a popstar for the very first time: the victim was Morten Harket from A-ha (I still have a thing for his beautiful eyes). :biggrin2:

In 1989 I found out about Marillion - I mean, I found out that there was more excellent material than just Kayleigh - but I also found out that they had just split up. Bugger. :sneaky2:

OK, what else... Tape recorders, leg warmers, rollerskates (the blue-and-yellow ones - I owned 2 pairs!), me going to secondary school in 1986...

Eighties rock! :punk:

ahhh the 80s ! my best years , there was knotts landing & dynasty on the telly , all the disco`s were opened until 5 in the morning ! i wore dimonte earrings & brotches , my poser suits with "yes" shoulder pads . i even had my hair dyed blue at one point with my spikey hair . if i could only turn back time to the 80s everyone was so friendly there was no knife weilding neds all over the place !

AAAHHHH! The 80's.

Adam and the Ants (yes I could do t he Prince Charming dance, and my nephew was terrified by the video, where he broke the mirror at the end). Loved Adam like I love Mika now. Reading his autobiography at the moment absolutely fascinating.

The Thompson Twins. The first concert I ever went to, was a HUGE fan of theirs, member of the fan club and everything.

Dexys Midnight Runners. again big fan dressed in the dungerees at the concerts.

Frankie Goes To Hollywood, Relax, had the T shirt.

George Michael post Wham, although I did go to The Final concert with my sister, which was fantastic (to quote their first album).

Queen. Another One Bites The Dust still has the best bassline on a song EVER.

Prince, love everything he has ever done, but Diamonds and Pearls is my alltime favourite.

I remember having the worst perm ever in the 80s, although then I thought I looked good (what was I thinking!)

It was when I got my first job after college, and my best friend left to live in Cornwall. Got great holidays from that.

I remember Miami Vice, The A Team, Moonlighting, Peter Gabriels So album, Duran Durans The Reflex, the Brat Pack films (The Breakfast Club, Pretty in Pink, St Elmos Fire etc), The Goonies, ET.

Can't think of anymore right now.

I remember having the worst perm ever in the 80s, although then I thought I looked good (what was I thinking!)

Everyone thought perms were good... I remember most of the 80's (I was born in 1983)... Leg warmers and rollerskates I definitely remember... as well as fluoro coloured clothing and shoulder pads... and mullets (I had the makings of one when I was about 5)...

Music was def good!!! :thumb_yello:

Well, considering I was born in 1987, I really don't remember any of the 80's at all. But I love watching I LOVE THE 80'S on VH1 and learning about the amazingness of the decade, so I am definitely an 80's fan! I just wish I was a little older so I could have experienced the magic myself!

Speaking of Dexy's Midnight Runners, they used to live on the same road as my mom :) They all went to the local pub together to celebrate getting into the charts.

I was only there for about 8 months of the 80's but I loooove 80's music. I think I was definately born about 15 yearss too late :thumbdown: