• 2 months later...

:mad3:I really don't understand how you could POSSIBILY against gay marriage... I live in Amsterdam and here its like the normalest thing ever:furious: anyone???

Well, I know his is kind of far into the thread, but I'd like to become part of this.

I prefer to be generally unlabelled.

I'm 17 and single.

I have been forever.

I don't know if I really believe in relationships of that extent.

I pretty much consider myself straight, but i'm a major gay rights actovist.

i get along better with gay people, especially gay men.

I consider myself a "gay man trapped in a woman's body."

I'd definitely swing if there were someone to catch my attention.

I'm surely not afraid to mess around with either sex.

I don't really care either way.

When I'm accused of being gay I just answer with "What if?"

I don't believe in gay or straight really.

Sex is sex and love is love if you ask me.

I guess I'm just a "whatever":thumb_yello:

That's simply awful. How must their child feel witnessing that. :boxed:

That seems more like a postmodern-ish view than "queer" (which is non-heterosexuality with an inherent "otherness" and political flavour). I think there's even a term for the "whatever" stance, "pomosexual" or something ("pomo" being short for "postmodern"). Oh how identity politics hurt my head... well that was just an attempt at labeling the 'label-less'. *shrugs*

Can you be a little more pedantic? :naughty:

Edited by Suzy

Nepal OKs same-sex union

19 Nov 2008, 0041 hrs IST, TNN

KATHMANDU: Close on the heels of an international furore over California's decision to ban same-sex marriages, the apex court of Nepal has given its nod to such unions.

The supreme court delivered full judgment regarding a ground-breaking verdict it had announced last year, recognising sexual minorities as being born such and entitled to all the rights and remedies all the other Nepali citizens enjoyed.

Source: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/World/Nepal_OKs_same-sex_union/articleshow/3729788.cms

Wow. And to think this country was an absolute monarchy, giving a king all executive control just a few decades ago. What a big step.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
To bump, here's a repost of racinghorse83's current signature.

30wmqtw.jpg

Billy Brown is a victim of 'The Times'. :naughty:

Hahaha I can't see what the thing is about but I did notice her siggy while she was bashing me over the head with her wooden shot gun. (don't worry, I got 'er back :naughty:)

BRING BACK THE GAY THREAD PEOPLES!

Hey, I haven't seen Matt, Aurelien or Scutty here for a while either BTW... The only other regular I remember without going through our old posts is Elanorelle who's been here a bit lately...

Where'd everyone go?

ST, you told us to slap you if we found you on here, and look at that interesting ESSAY you have posted above.:naughty:

*insert msn slap here*

Guess the books aren't holding your attention very well huh?? Oh yes, I am sure that post only took you the same amount of time as a tea-break:mf_rosetinted::naughty:

ST, you told us to slap you if we found you on here, and look at that interesting ESSAY you have posted above.:naughty:

*insert msn slap here*

Guess the books aren't holding your attention very well huh?? Oh yes, I am sure that post only took you the same amount of time as a tea-break:mf_rosetinted::naughty:

:lmfao:SPRUUUUNNNGGG !!! :naughty:

It didn't take that long actually since it was mostly quoting other sources, the part that took the longest was editing it to fit in the post length limit. :naughty:

But yeah, I've kind of given up on my self-imposed MFC ban. It seems that as soon as I forbade myself I developed the urge to visit. :rolls_eyes:

:naughty: Does that mean we can stop saving up slaps then Twatty ?? :naughty:

It does ??

Oh good ... phew ... :wink2:

What an awesome post Twatty!:thumb_yello:

I can't slap you for making such a fab contribution to this thread.

Now if only you had the same passion and energy for Pharmacy...

:naughty:

Edited by Suzy

• 2 weeks later...

World gets its first gay leader

Former air hostess to be sworn in as Icelandic premier after economic collapse

By Peter Popham

Thursday, 29 January 2009

pg-2-iceland_121476t.jpg

The first government collapse of the global economic crisis is about to yield the world's first openly-gay leader. Johanna Sigurdardottir, a former air hostess, is expected to be sworn in as Iceland's Prime Minister by the end of the week.

Her moment in the international spotlight comes at the most horrendous moment in her nation's recent history. As the global meltdown began, the collapse of Iceland's grossly over-leveraged economy was followed smartly by the implosion of its banks and currency. Now its government has gone the same way, the first to succumb to the backwash from the crisis.

Ms Sigurdardottir's party, the Social Democrat Alliance, was asked to form a new government but its leader is taking a leave of absence to recover from treatment for a benign tumour. And so, "Saint Johanna", as she has come to be known, has been propelled from the social affairs ministry – which she has presided over for a decade – to take centre stage in a choice hailed as "unexpected but brilliant".

The 66-year-old politician lives with her partner, Jonina Leosdottir, a journalist and playwright. The couple were joined in a civil ceremony in 2002. Don't expect them to show up togetherfor photocalls, however – that's not the Icelandic way. Though she is famous across the island, having been a top politician for years, her lesbian union was no big deal in this calmly progressive nation of only 300,000 people.

"Johanna is a very private person," said an Icelandic government source. "A lot of people didn't even know she was gay. When they learn about it people tend to shrug and say, 'Oh'. That's not to say they are not interested; they are interested in who she's living with – but no more so than if she was a man living with a woman."

Ms Sigurdardottir has two grown-up sons. She entered politics via the labour movement, was first elected to parliament in 1978 and was given her first ministerial office in 1987. She will be Prime Minister of a minority caretaker government composed of her Social Democratic Alliance and the Left-Greens, with outside support. It is only expected to hold office for two or three months, until fresh elections are called.

"In opinion polls Johanna has repeatedly been chosen as the most popular politician in Iceland," said the government source. "She is a good choice, because one of the problems the government is facing is lack of trust. Getting Johanna to become Prime Minister was a way of saying trust is an issue. Politicians want a fresh mandate from the electorate and, before they get it, they need to rebuild trust. Choosing Johanna is a way of saying, 'Let's bridge this gap, let's have peace to be able to implement the emergency measures'."

Geir Haarde, the former prime minister, endured months of angry protests over his poor handling of the economy; demonstrators pelted his car with eggs and police were forced to use tear gas on the streets for the first time in 50 years. Compare that to a poll in November that gave Ms Sigurdardottir a 73 per cent approval rating, she was the only minister to improve on the previous year's score.

"She is often described as the only politician who really cares about the little guy," wrote Icelandic journalist Iris Erlingsdottir in a blog this week.

She did stand for the leadership of her party back in 1994 and lost badly, but in her concession speech she predicted "my time will come". And some 15 years later, it truly has.

Source: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/world-gets-its-first-gay-leader-1519068.html

Edited by S&M

My bisexuality group is going to start very soon once I start doing some planning. Its frustrating because I am doing it all myself....but I will need to ask more people on facebook etc...to see if anyone can help me!

exciting times!

xxoo

My bisexuality group is going to start very soon once I start doing some planning. Its frustrating because I am doing it all myself....but I will need to ask more people on facebook etc...to see if anyone can help me!

exciting times!

xxoo

Awesome!

How's the cat hearding treating you Suzanne? :das: Have you managed to get a hold of them all?

I'll join your FB page, you know I'm there in spirit :wink2

The Poet and the Painter

Author David Francis finds surprising familiarity in the relationship between painter Salvador Dalí and poet Federico García Lorca, brought to life in the new film Little Ashes.

By David Francis

From The Advocate March 2009

ashesx390%281%29.jpg

Javier Beltrán and Robert Pattinson in Little Ashes (left); Federico García Lorca and Salvador Dalí on the beach in Spain in the 1920s. (From left: Regent Releasing; EFF/Corbis)

A couple of years ago I was in Paris on a writing fellowship. I was searching for inspiration when I discovered a poem by the celebrated and gay Spanish poet Federico García Lorca.

It was his “Ode to Salvador Dalí”:  Art is not the light that blinds our eyes -- it’s love…painted like a game of snakes and ladders.

After reading the piece, I stared out from my studio window to the Centre de Danse across the street, where a young dancer suspended French ballerinas -- one and then another. He stared back.

When we met in the street later that afternoon, he told me his name was Olivier, that he’d been a young music star in Cameroon, and that he’d been forced to flee the country (or face five years in prison) after he came out of the closet to his audience one night.

In 1920s Spain, when Lorca was a student in Madrid, the penalty for sodomy was 15 years in custody, and still he published his erotic love poems to the eccentric young painter and fellow student Salvador Dalí. Their affair became legendary, inspiring the new film Little Ashes, flush with dreamy scenes of Lorca (portrayed by the Spanish actor Javier Beltrán) and Dali (played by Robert Pattinson of Twilight fame).

In one scene their young bodies swirl together under moonlit water as they share their angelic first kiss. In another, in the midst of an attempt at lovemaking, Dali, on the verge of being penetrated, panics.

He abruptly departs for Paris, leaving the devastated Lorca behind: And yet I suffered for you. I gashed -- my veins -- white lilies dueling jaws about your waist.

In Paris, after reading Lorca and hearing the rest of Olivier’s experiences, I began writing my own story -- about a young Australian painter who travels to Soviet Moscow, where he falls deeply in love with a dancer.

This story, which was also inspired by the time I spent in Moscow in 1984 (when being gay could mean five years in the gulag), grew into a novel, Stray Dog Winter. Dalí writes in his early autobiography The Secret Life of Salvador Dalí that in Lorca, “the poetic phenomenon in its entirety and ‘in the raw’ presented itself before me suddenly in flesh and bone, confused, blood-red, viscous and sublime, quivering with a thousand fires of darkness.” Yet Ian Gibson, Dalí’s biographer, dismissed the affair on the grounds that “Dalí was terrified of being touched by anyone,” and Dalí insisted that “Lorca never succeeded in persuading me to put my arse at his disposal,” as if penetration were all that love entailed.

Still, in the 1927 photos of Dalí and Lorca on the beach in Cadaqués, they look unmistakably coupled.

Lorca joined the Popular Front and in 1936 was arrested by Franco’s army and executed in a field. Near his unmarked presumed grave outside Alfacar in southern Spain, an olive tree now flowers with quotes from his poems pinned there by visitors.

I promised myself a trip to Alfacar to leave a verse on Lorca’s tree. Instead, I wandered Paris with Olivier and wrote my novel.

Last year, when I returned to Paris, I was told that Olivier had disappeared.

Immigration officers had arrived at the Centre de Danse, and he was never seen again.

As Lorca wrote: From behind the gray walls -- Nothing is heard but the weeping.

I’m back in Los Angeles now, with the lush visuals of Little Ashes still fresh in my mind, trying to write something new. The film’s potent images of the 38-year-old Lorca, blindfolded and buckling in front of a firing squad, are emblazoned in me, exaggerating my fears of what might have awaited Olivier. My dream of traveling south through sunflower fields and orange groves to Alfacar, to Lorca’s poems nesting in the olive branches, has been hijacked. And as for Olivier, am I brave or foolhardy enough to follow my heart or even a story to a place like Cameroon?

Lorca, the poet revolutionary, would have gone.

Lorca, who lay dead in his prime, his soul intact, while Dalí got old and sold his soul to commerce.

The film of their desire for each other has me filled with yearning, unsure if I can weather another lost love by turning it into fiction, while haunted by images of Olivier trapped against gray African walls for being who he is, who I am -- art and politics, and life, feel too inextricably mixed.

Edited by greta