From Big Girl to Lollipop Girl, Mika's Fat Club

jemmalee

I like your idea about becoming an exerciser instead of eater in times of stress. We just have to figure out how to do it.

The veg and fruit thing, this is where I really annoy myself, because I really, really love fruit and veg and if I don't eat them for a couple of days I get real cravings. But I also like rubbish food too. If I could only stick to fruit and veg......

I think the only way to do that is to some how stop eating the junk food little by little. Not sure how though. I've found that when I have a craving for something, like chocolate, if I eat something else thinking that maybe it'll go away I'm just not satisfied with it until I get that piece of chocolate so in turn I should have just had that piece of chocolate instead of having something else. : P

Bold 1:

Same here, i do however know people who exercise with it - they are all skinny, i both hate them and am consider by them.

Bold 2:

So has my family - satsumas (sp?)

However, i am sat eating clementines as we speak, but only because my local shop had them all reduced - 10p for 1kg :D

But now i am getting my 5 a day, were as before it was maybe 2 a week.

I haven't tried clementines yet. I should.

I remember when I found out oranges weren't that bad. My friend normally would get fruit to eat after lunch/dinner and she was peeling an orange and awkward me said "can I try a piece?" :roftl: I'd just rather steal a piece of hers than waste a whole orange.

I also remember learning that your weight can depend some on the type of friends that you hang out with. If you hang out with friends that don't care about their weight and eat a lot you're more likely to eat a lot too with them. If you hang out with friends that exercise a lot then you'll be more motivated to exercise more with them. I don't really know how to word it better sorry. : P It is true though because my friends would get fruit to eat after meals so I started to, normally it was only an apple here or there but it turned into an orange or apple after quite a few meals.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to Hatfield gym but it's probably too far for you?

As for the maternal instinct, I think that as a fat person/outsider/freak (to quote Meeks) you develop an empathy for others, just like he has said in many interviews.

I only ever go to the Galleria and the university in hatfield lol Those are the places i know.

Ergh! Dont!

Last night...i was bad last night. Babs could probably vouch for my being in an 'interesting' mood, i ended up going off and distracting myself by sittting and watching tv and movies (history boys and stepmom) till 5am, eating:

6 satsumas

1/2 chocolate orange

4 packets of crisps

2x 3rds of a bottle of baileys (well, the cheap version)

1 lindt chocolate santa

1 tube of milky way buttons

2 slices of toast

1ltr of diet coke

2 lollipops

How bad is that!

We've all done it. I ate a whole packet of jaffa cakes once in one sitting:naughty:

I think the only way to do that is to some how stop eating the junk food little by little. Not sure how though. I've found that when I have a craving for something, like chocolate, if I eat something else thinking that maybe it'll go away I'm just not satisfied with it until I get that piece of chocolate so in turn I should have just had that piece of chocolate instead of having something else. : P

I haven't tried clementines yet. I should.

I remember when I found out oranges weren't that bad. My friend normally would get fruit to eat after lunch/dinner and she was peeling an orange and awkward me said "can I try a piece?" :roftl: I'd just rather steal a piece of hers than waste a whole orange.

I also remember learning that your weight can depend some on the type of friends that you hang out with. If you hang out with friends that don't care about their weight and eat a lot you're more likely to eat a lot too with them. If you hang out with friends that exercise a lot then you'll be more motivated to exercise more with them. I don't really know how to word it better sorry. : P It is true though because my friends would get fruit to eat after meals so I started to, normally it was only an apple here or there but it turned into an orange or apple after quite a few meals.

Not at all, my friend are all skinny.

E.g. I went shopping with them the other day but had to just hang around the changing rooms since shops only go up to a 14 these days.

And one of them said 'Oh this will never do! *sigh* looks like i will have to get a 6'

They all count calories and write even a sip of water down in a book.

As for me - see my last post in here,

Count me in!

I'm getting married in August, and I'm really hoping to wear a dress that doesn't resemble a tent. :bleh:

A trick I've been using is to buy fruits and veggies I like, particularly ones that can be cut up and stored in advance (carrots, celery, melons, etc). Then, it's easier to get the fruit and eat it because it's right there. :thumb_yello:

Count me in!

I'm getting married in August, and I'm really hoping to wear a dress that doesn't resemble a tent. :bleh:

A trick I've been using is to buy fruits and veggies I like, particularly ones that can be cut up and stored in advance (carrots, celery, melons, etc). Then, it's easier to get the fruit and eat it because it's right there. :thumb_yello:

Im a huge melon fan.

Me and Ioana cut them in halves and just have them with a spoon like an edible bowl lol

i am fat. i get picked on terribly for many reasons. im fat, my name(kitty) my acsent, my choice of clothing. my hate for dark cloths and more. but since i heard mika im cool with being big.:):wub2: i owe him

Alot of people say this.

okay, something to get of of my chest RE music.

I hate hate hate hate 'Baby got back' and 'Dont cha'

As much as i am for big girl appreciation, these songs always result in drunk, sluttily dressed girls to gyrate and dance completely inappropriately and end up repulsing everyone! argh!'Dont you with your girlfriend was HOT like me' <-- No! i bloody dont!

E.g. I went shopping with them the other day but had to just hang around the changing rooms since shops only go up to a 14 these days.

And one of them said 'Oh this will never do! *sigh* looks like i will have to get a 6'

Ooh... that's one that thing hurts me the most is stores that only carry to a certain size. A LOT of popular ones are like that. I hated being stuck in a group once shopping because they wanted to hit ALL of those stores and I just walked around the store aimlessly looking for something like jewelry. I also have a thing against one of my favorite clothing stores. They divide the store with juniors, misses and petites on one side and plus on the other.

One other thing that really gets under my skin is when I have a friend that's clearly a lot thinner than I am say that they're fat, hate it, and need to lose weight. I just stand there and say, "uh... hello? Look at me!" Makes me feel horrible about myself. I had one friend for the past three years that has done a number on me self-conscious/self-esteem wise. Couldn't fit into his clothes because he was clearly thinner than me he thought he was fat and would starve himself for days on end... seriously until you're on all fours almost in tears begging for him to eat something because his body is shutting down. Also he picked on other people for their weight and appearance which in turn made me more self-conscious. Some people are just very rude.

Anyway, that's my rant.

I think I'm going to the gym soon. I found out that I still have a membership there and I'm feeling really restless. I need to get out of this house I'm going nuts just sitting here.

I'm not big (a little chubby perhaps) but I used to be a lot bigger..

Diets are crap, you'll only gain more weight.

The key is changing your lifestyle and moderation. I don't deprive myself of anything, just now I ate a large portion of fries and some other junkfood.. Knowing I ate that today, tomorrow I will eat healthier.

It's all about the balance.

*quietly leaves thread*

Alot of people say this.

okay, something to get of of my chest RE music.

I hate hate hate hate 'Baby got back' and 'Dont cha'

As much as i am for big girl appreciation, these songs always result in drunk, sluttily dressed girls to gyrate and dance completely inappropriately and end up repulsing everyone! argh!'Dont you with your girlfriend was HOT like me' <-- No! i bloody dont!

Hm, I must admit I do like to dance to 'Baby got back' with my friend but I hate it when he goes on to singing "...when a girl walks in with an itty bitty waist and a round thang in your face..." For me it defeats the purpose of the song. : P

Hey Jemma,

I think that this is a great thread, that can be an inspiration to many.

I agree with everything that you and Babs said about the "reality" of being big and all that. I put on tons of weight a couple of years ago and still haven't lost it, and I don't feel like myself.

I know that I'm not talking about "massive" amounts by some standards, but when you're used to being Mika style skinniness all your life, gaining 2.5 stone all of a sudden is a BIG increase.

Anyway I think it's great that you're doing this, and I will join you guys. I need to lose at least 2 stone for the summer so I'm all for it!!

I don't want to preach or anything, just to offer some help, so from a dietetic perspective the best thing to do to keep a healthy weight (and lose) is to eat enough but not too much of what we need.

Basically that is achieved eating a few small meals a day, rather than 2 or 3 large ones.

Small and frequent is best, and with a lot of protein in each as this makes you stay full for longer.

Good protein sources are any kind of lean meat or fish, or vegetarian options like tofu or meat replacement thingies.

Also "slow release" carbs are very important and make you feel satisfied.

This would be things like wholegrain rice, or wholewheat/wholegrain pasta or bread, pulses like chickpeas, lentils and that sort of thing.

Vegetables are also very important in each meal, and to make them more interesting I'd suggest putting a little salt and olive oil on top of them (it's amazing how much of a difference this makes)

Of course fruit is very healthy and essential, but it's also very high in sugar so I'd recomment not going overboard with it.

Eating pieces of fruit is always much better than juice, which has many more calories per serving due to how much one tends to have.

Foods to avoid would be the obvious culprits: junk, fried things, sugary things, and also "white" things: white bread, white rice, etc....

And the crux of it is to create an energy deficit by exercising. Mixing cardio with strenght training is best, and for results you'd be needing at the very least 4 sessions a week of around at least 30 mins each.

High intensity cardio works best, and if you exercise in the morning first thing before having any food, you burn much more fat.

Hope that helped!!!

Sorry for going on a bit but I have a big personal interest in the subject as you may have noticed :naughty: .

Quite frankly, I don't find that very normal or adviseable.:roftl:

can I sign up???

I need to loose about 1 1/2 stone, but would be happy with one over this next 12 months.

I went to the Mika gig in Newcastle in Feb and before I left took a picture!!!!!!

It was the best thing I have ever done....over the last 10 months I have lost nearly 2 stone!! I am proud of myself, and can't believe the difference it has made to me. but I'm going to need help to shift the rest.... and I would love to do it with you guys!!

by the way.. I still have the pic on the hubbys phone... :blink: the best motivation ever!!

Hm, I must admit I do like to dance to 'Baby got back' with my friend but I hate it when he goes on to singing "...when a girl walks in with an itty bitty waist and a round thang in your face..." For me it defeats the purpose of the song. : P

See i dont mine people dancing to it for fun, its just well wobbily bits get shoved in your face in a 'look at me' way when i get a little put off lol

Im all for wobbles, just not in that way,

I'm not saying I consider myself a big girl but I wanna change my diet etc. and get healthier in the same kinda ways I guess just without losing much (if any) weight.

I'm weird. I don't like chocolate or crisps or sweets or anything.

But I also don't like vegetables and since I'm a poor student I can't afford fruit or anything healthy like that. I live on pasta or beans on toast.

I'm a smoothie addict though which makes up for that I think. I get through a bottle per day which is apparently worth 7 of the 5-a-day things.

I LOVE chocolate cake though. When you work where I do and are allowed free food on your breaks and don't like any of the sandwiches it's either eat the cake or starve so it's hard not to....

I always walk up the escalators and take the stairs etc. and I walk really fast but I'm gonna try and walk more (i.e get off the tube a stop early or late and walk....which I already do on my way to and from work already....) and generally be less lazy!

So for me:

Resist the chocolate cake!!!

Stop with the laziness

Buy better food even if it means less new pairs of shoes that month.

:)