2008 - Reports/photos/videos/afterparty For Brixton 28-02-2008

carrinevie

I met Yasmine, wasn't sure at first whether to approach her as I'm never sure if it's a good idea to speak to the family and she was with her dad.

But I decided to be dbrave and formal, so I went up said hello and offered my hand for her to shake it, which she did smiling at me being so formal. Then I said the show was good and that her brother was mad having me followed with a camera, which she thought was funny, strange how I seem to make this family laugh! But she was lovely and Jennie is right you come away feeling nice and calm after speaking to her.

I met Yasmine, wasn't sure at first whether to approach her as I'm never sure if it's a good idea to speak to the family and she was with her dad.

But I decided to be dbrave and formal, so I went up said hello and offered my hand for her to shake it, which she did smiling at me being so formal. Then I said the show was good and that her brother was mad having me followed with a camera, which she thought was funny, strange how I seem to make this family laugh! But she was lovely and Jennie is right you come away feeling nice and calm after speaking to her.

sounds like she's got a really nice kindred spirit. Like some sort of therapeutic woman, even though she does some pretty wacky cartoons xDDD

I know that I wouldn't talk to her, because I would feel like interrupting mika's private life or sth. that's why I wouldn't feel comfortable talking to his mom either. and yasmine never wants her pictures to be published online, so I feel like she wants the privacy so badly, but can't always get it.

yes, I think you're right, that's probably what's stopping me from approaching her....About the mum, when I saw her before in Glasgow and in Toronto (that I can clearly remember seeing her), I didn't say anything to her as I felt that it was a bit "much" to speak to his family.

In Brixton on the 28th though, I specifically went to speak to her cause Mika told me to :roftl:.When he said he wore the Tshirt that I made him all the time, he said "go ask my mum!! she puts me in it!"

So I took it as permission to approach the Penni Mama:wub2: And she was sooo nice, I'm really glad I got to speak to her. I mean, they're all just normal people like every one of us.

Just really nice and normal. Ah and super talented.:naughty:

Yes, she's made that request repeatedly when she agrees to pose for photos with fans.

exactly. that's what tells me she doesn't want to be a "public figure"

and the first time I saw her, she looked like she felt uncomfortable, she had to come out through the backdoor at olympia and there were tons of fans waiting, so she had to walk through them. she looked like she didn't like that and I kinda kept that picture of her in my mind

In Brixton on the 28th though, I specifically went to speak to her cause Mika told me to :roftl:.When he said he wore the Tshirt that I made him all the time, he said "go ask my mum!! she puts me in it!"

So I took it as permission to approach the Penni Mama:wub2: And she was sooo nice, I'm really glad I got to speak to her. I mean, they're all just normal people like every one of us.

Just really nice and normal. Ah and super talented.:naughty:

I think that's a god excuse to go talk to her :naughty:

in brussels I remember the whole french group crowding around his mom, talking to her for ages, asking questions about fortuné :thumbdown: it was awful I felt so sorry for her.

in brussels I remember the whole french group crowding around his mom, talking to her for ages, asking questions about fortuné :thumbdown: it was awful I felt so sorry for her.

That happened after Hammersmith too although she spent a lot of time just hanging around chatting with a lot of people. The whole family had driven away already and she was still there. Someone said they saw her walk down the street afterwards alone...:blink:

That happened after Hammersmith too although she spent a lot of time just hanging around chatting with a lot of people. The whole family had driven away already and she was still there. Someone said they saw her walk down the street afterwards alone...:blink:

that's what she did in paris too! after we met them in the bar everyone had left, but she was somehow still there all alone, calling a taxi for us :roftl:

That's very bad, and is exactly why I got so upset when they asked her for passes after Hammersmith. I find it awful.

And I know that I'm being criticised (by name!!) for saying it in the french forum, but hey, what can you do? Noone can have strong convictions, defend them, and then be popular with all, that's just not how it goes...:thumbdown:

Yes, that was strange!

oh gosh, that's awful. I mean, if I saw Mama Penniman I'd like to ask questions or talk to her about the clothes she does. Not out of rudeness, just out of general interest, because I think she's fantastic at what she does. I really admire her, but would she see it the same way?

really? I never saw her *damn security, never listen to them!*

but walking home alone? In London? I mean, I know she lives there and everything but that's mighty dangerous. Hahaha, my dad has no idea who she is, so if he saww her he'd probably think she was another fan and would probably offer her a lift home hahahahaha! :roftl: :roftl:

That's very bad, and is exactly why I got so upset when they asked her for passes after Hammersmith. I find it awful.

And I know that I'm being criticised (by name!!) for saying it in the french forum, but hey, what can you do? Noone can have strong convictions, defend them, and then be popular with all, that's just not how it goes...:thumbdown:

as for the french fans, what's fact is fact. My dad got pushed and shoved by some frenchies at Hammersmith when watching Mika. But we are, after all, just generalising - not all french fans are like that (surely?)

I just don't think I could have the gall to ask Mika's mother for backstage passes. She's just his mother, not part of his management. I mean, I know she makes the clothes and shizz, but she doesn't deal with that sort of thing, and that probably pressured her and ... that makes me quite sad.

very true!

as for the french fans, what's fact is fact. My dad got pushed and shoved by some frenchies at Hammersmith when watching Mika. But we are, after all, just generalising - not all french fans are like that (surely?)

let's hope :naughty: because there are MANY :boxed:

oh gosh, that's awful. I mean, if I saw Mama Penniman I'd like to ask questions or talk to her about the clothes she does. Not out of rudeness, just out of general interest, because I think she's fantastic at what she does. I really admire her, but would she see it the same way?

but walking home alone? In London? I mean, I know she lives there and everything but that's mighty dangerous. Hahaha, my dad has no idea who she is, so if he saww her he'd probably think she was another fan and would probably offer her a lift home hahahahaha! :roftl: :roftl:

I'm sure that if you did that, she'd love it. She's a lovely person and very easy to speak to, so if you were respectuous and nice with her, she'd have no issues with it.

Hell, I get the feeling that she has no issues (well,quite obviously) with the ones who don't quite act in the same way:naughty:

i quote you (and i could have quoted sara before too, just saw it too late) but LET'S JUST NOT GO THAT WAY and say "SOME" french fans :thumb_yello: it will be better for all of us :wink2:

I'm sure that if you did that, she'd love it. She's a lovely person and very easy to speak to, so if you were respectuous and nice with her, she'd have no issues with it.

Hell, I get the feeling that she has no issues (well,quite obviously) with the ones who don't quite act in the same way:naughty:

well that's alright then :biggrin2: (the respectuous bit, not the "the ones who don't quite act in the same way" bit :naughty:)

i quote you (and i could have quoted sara before too, just saw it too late) but LET'S JUST NOT GO THAT WAY and say "SOME" french fans :thumb_yello: it will be better for all of us :wink2:

Yop, at the end of the senetence, I DID say "but we are just generalising - not all french fans are like that (surely?) :wink2:

and to add my 2 p. to the P. family discussion (ha ha) they were nice each time i've talked to them (Mrs P. and Yasmine, that's all) but they just looked like they didn't give a toss about what i was saying (not mean said, just that they weren't interested, but they were hiding it very well) which is normal, after all... and god knows i've never tried to have a real conversation with them...

that's why i don't see why people feel such an urge to go and have a discussion with them, just because they're more accessible than mika... for me, i know they're around so they're not pushing people away doing that, but it shouldn't be considered as an invitation either... they're not the public part of the thing, and Yasmine asking openly that pics with her should not be posted or looking not at her ease walking through the crowd should be explicit behaviour enough... As for Mrs P., i know she has a permanent smile on her face, but that doesn't mean she thinks you're funny, it's just a polite smile, and i kinda run away from polite smile, as for me...

i felt uncomfortable "everytime" i got to talk to her (and the only time i got to talk to Yasmine) because i was feeling not where i should be... to be honest, i was feeling uncomfortable at the whole after so-called party, not because of the mobbing, which i didn't give a f*ck about, but just because i wasn't feeling where i should be...

just a personal opinion ! :thumb_yello:

Ok: some french fans, who happenned to be the majority of the ones in London at the time, were involved.

And I now feel qualified to speak, seeing as my name has been tarnished by them already,so I may as well speak my mind:roftl: .

All I did was post my opinions on the matter, and the next thing I know, my name is being thrown around there as an evil one who makes stories up about them- which ended up being bollox anyway, as what I had said was exactly what they admitted to doing:asking for the passes.

Anyway, you're right in the sense that it's best to let it go, and I think that this will be my last post on this.

I'm kinda done with the topic now I think:naughty:

and to add my 2 p. to the P. family discussion (ha ha) they were nice each time i've talked to them (Mrs P. and Yasmine, that's all) but they just looked like they didn't give a toss about what i was saying (not mean said, just that they weren't interested, but they were hiding it very well) which is normal, after all... and god knows i've never tried to have a real conversation with them...

that's why i don't see why people feel such an urge to go and have a discussion with them, just because they're more accessible than mika... for me, i know they're around so they're not pushing people away doing that, but it shouldn't be considered as an invitation either... they're not the public part of the thing, and Yasmine asking openly that pics with her should not be posted or looking not at her ease walking through the crowd should be explicit behaviour enough... As for Mrs P., i know she has a permanent smile on her face, but that doesn't mean she thinks you're funny, it's just a polite smile, and i kinda run away from polite smile, as for me...

i felt uncomfortable "everytime" i got to talk to her (and the only time i got to talk to Yasmine) because i was feeling not where i should be... to be honest, i was feeling uncomfortable at the whole after so-called party, not because of the mobbing, which i didn't give a f*ck about, but just because i was feeling where i should be...

I see what you're saying, it does seem like a very personal ground and possibly even intrusive, and I know sure as hell I wouldn't want to "intrude" on them or anything...I always ask before going to do something and I am constantly asking "are you sure?" "is that okay" when they agree because I don't want them to feel pressurised in anything (like when I asked to have a picture with Cherisse and Luke, and just people in general...)

I mean sure, I'd love nothing more to have my picture taken with Mika (I wouldn't dare ask with his family) but if he said no, he says no, and that's how it should be. It's HIS career and he should be the one batting the ball.

i did see that, it was just to delete for real your "?" after surely :wink2:

ah, gotcha :thumb_yello:

You should have stuck around after Mika left. We were just standing around gabbing as we always do trying to round everyone up after the gigs and the car pulled up to pick up the family. Yasmine asked if any of us had made the book for her and wanted to pass on the message that she loved it, etc. (can't remember her exact words because she wasn't speaking directly to me.)

She and Fortune (and maybe Paloma?) left and then Mrs. P just hung around forever afterwards. I think we may have left before she did.

as for the french fans, what's fact is fact. My dad got pushed and shoved by some frenchies at Hammersmith when watching Mika.

Wasn't he having troubles with an American girl?

i felt uncomfortable "everytime" i got to talk to her (and the only time i got to talk to Yasmine) because i was feeling not where i should be... to be honest, i was feeling uncomfortable at the whole after so-called party, not because of the mobbing, which i didn't give a f*ck about, but just because i was feeling where i should be...

I have to say that I had a very different experience to what you are describing...

I think that I can usually be paranoid enough to know if someone is just faking interest, or giving me the good old "polite smile" that you mention, and on this occasion, Mrs P didn't do that.

She was very nice, genuinely into the conversation, asked me questions about myself and if I did other things (apart from the Tshirt, which was the starting point), and said that it "meant a lot" that I had made that for Mika and he was wearing it cause he loved it,etc...

So it was actually an exchange, a normal chat, and in the middle of it she asked if she could film me speaking about whatever I was going on about, and started her camera.

What I'm trying to say is that she was not just "being polite" and politely giving me the cold shoulder or trying to end things asap, but she actually encouraged the conversation a lot, and I was in fact very aware of the fact that I didn't want to "impose" myself, so I kept things quite short from my side and it was her who kept the chat going.

Maybe it's cause I'm Mika's clothes designer now:roftl: :roftl: JUST KIDDING before I get linched!! It's a joke people!!:naughty:

Just going back to Mama Penniman, at Newcastle last year I got the impression she was a bit wary of me, maybe she thought I was nuts or something as I was in the penguin suit.

But at Hammersmith a couple of weeks back, I was curious to find out if Mika and Andy got the penguins I left for them before Christmas, and she was going back in the front entrance. Normally I wouldn't have approached her, but I had taken off the penguin cossie and went up to her and politely said hello and asked about the presents, she smiled a really big smile and said yes they had got them, so I said thank you and left.

So I think she knows I'm not so scarey now. LOL!