English as a Second Language

Dutch isn't exactly an international language, so learning other languages is quite important here. Nowadays kids start learning English in primary school because of that.

I started learning English in secondary school at age 12, and had lessons for 6 years. Haven't had any lessons in 23 years, but back in the middle ages :mf_rosetinted: I was pretty good at it. Forgot a lot of words, and grammar though.

My knowledge is mostly passive: I read novels, see (mostly American) films, and on television they show a lot of American and English films/shows. I never have to speak it, so sometimes it's hard to think of a proper sentence. And because I lack the words I'm not always able to phrase things the way I'd want to. Or at least not as subtle as I'd want to.

And I realise I mix up UK-English and American English a lot. But a good online dictionary is a lot of help.

The most important thing however is that I'm managing to write down stuff you all seem to understand. :wink2:

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And you meet lovely people from the four corners of the world, you broaden your mind and get wiser and more understanding. That's one of the things I love of the MFC: we come from all the five contients and share our points of view and traditions and everything. I'm learning a lot in here, and not only about the English language!

I agree, i met some awesome people on MFC and became good friends with them, it's really is funny how places like forums can get you in contact with people from all walks of life and make friendship that lasts for a long long time.

And you meet lovely people from the four corners of the world, you broaden your mind and get wiser and more understanding. That's one of the things I love of the MFC: we come from all the five contients and share our points of view and traditions and everything. I'm learning a lot in here, and not only about the English language!

Hi Asun! yes, the MFC has been really important to us about learning english and how to handle with it. I still have some mistakes when writing and they make me blush a lot!! :blush-anim-cl: But MFCers have been nice correcting me, and the main thing is trying to make your thoughts understandable.

And I've improven my listening thanks to the videos. Actually, Mika's pronnunciation isn't so difficult for us! In general, American english is sometimes a challenge, but not british when it's spoken in a normal speed.

I've also read that some people in english countries have spanish as foreign language. That makes me smile. It's indeed a nice language to learn, but it's not easy! hehe. I see the trouble Mika has to speak considering he studied a couple of years...

I agree with Theblack queen...you learn a lot here when you met people from all the world:thumb_yello:

Nice thread miss!

My mother tongue is Dutch (obviously) but I started learning English (and French) in primary school when I was erm around 9.

You just get the basics in school though, the way I learned is by watching tv.

Seriously, we have loads of American shows and series here, all with Dutch subtitles.

That's how I picked most of it up. The internet helped too with the slang and stuff.

Dear lollipop_monkey,

because you started a interesting thread i wanna talk to you...

i'm italian, i don't speak english because in my life i studied a lot of others things but not languages very well...

but now i'm trying to use it for speaking with my friends MFCers and i try to understand wath is written here everywhere...

so i would like to start a unofficial petition...

could you (english speaker as first language) sometimes to correct us who dont speak very well...?

not in all post... but sometimes i will be happy if you correct me when, for example, i write a verb wrong or i made a grammar mistake.

thank you very much

So tell me - if English is not your first language, how did you learn it? How old were you when you began learning English? Are you still taking classes to improve your English? What's your native language? And, do your parents/brothers/sisters speak English?

Thanks Mana:thumb_yello:

1) I learnt it at school, but just the basics. Then I took two years of classes with a teacher. Now I have almost an upper intermediate course level, even though I haven't done the international exams (I'd have two levels left to the FCE)

2) I was thirteen, I wish I could learn it when I was little. I'm not taking classes now, MFC's my only school

3)my native language is spanish, but it's really different from the spanish Mika speaks (the one from spain)

4) No, none of my family speaks it. My sister is taking classes now, but she cannot speak well, though she's good with the writing. She has almost the same level than me :)

could you (english speaker as first language) sometimes to correct us who dont speak very well...?

not in all post... but sometimes i will be happy if you correct me when, for example, i write a verb wrong or i made a grammar mistake.

thank you very much

I agree with what my dear Master (outside the UK, Spain and Lebanon:naughty:) says: it's really useful to get the mistakes corrected by English speaking peeps:thumb_yello:

Nice thread miss!

My mother tongue is Dutch (obviously) but I started learning English (and French) in primary school when I was erm around 9.

You just get the basics in school though, the way I learned is by watching tv.

Seriously, we have loads of American shows and series here, all with Dutch subtitles.

That's how I picked most of it up. The internet helped too with the slang and stuff.

yes. that's exactly what i'm talking about:thumb_yello:

school is just a step to start learning.then you have to improve it by yourself

we have almost all the american series-shows here too.

and some UK series.(like hollyoaks:bleh:)

they really help:naughty:

Dear lollipop_monkey,

because you started a interesting thread i wanna talk to you...

i'm italian, i don't speak english because in my life i studied a lot of others things but not languages very well...

but now i'm trying to use it for speaking with my friends MFCers and i try to understand wath is written here everywhere...

thank you very much

i agree:thumb_yello:

as i said in my first post feel free to correct any mistake i made.

via PM maybe?:wink2:

Hey! Really interesting thread, thanks for opening it:thumb_yello: It's true in most non-English speaking countries learning languages is a priority, especially English. I think it's necessary because like it or not, English is the international language, just as Latin was in the Middle Ages, so if you want to have connections of any kind outside your country, you must learn it.

This is so true!

I agree, i met some awesome people on MFC and became good friends with them, it's really is funny how places like forums can get you in contact with people from all walks of life and make friendship that lasts for a long long time.

It never stops to fascinate me!

I could qoute you all and say agree!:thumb_yello:

Nice thread, since I just had another one of my outburst of disappointment in the T-shirt thread last night!:blush-anim-cl:

We learn English in school, but only the basics.

Almost all Swedish people speak English, more or less.

I soon realized I had to take my education in my own hands so I took a dive in to the English language by reading comic books, magazines and books, translation lyrics and when the DVD player came, by turning off the subtitles.

And then came the internet!

I have learned so much by the net, especially on the MFC.

English the way people actually talk and communicate. But even if it's fun and healthy, it is hard when it comes to those little subtle nuances, the emotional language.:boxed:

And I must say I'm very grateful that people always answer my questions and makes big efforts to explain when the conversation goes on over my head!:wub2:

I started to learn english at school whe I was 7 years old! Right now, my lessons are here!! My 2 sisters can speak it too, one of them not as fluent as I do!

OMG!!! I forgot to say that Im from Spain so I speak spanish!!!!

Hey! I like this thread!!

I'm from Argentina, so I speak Spanish, but I learn speak English.... how? I have no idea, I learn by my sefl, so that's why I'm not so good speaking spelling and writing haha.

I guess that's I learn from songs, and movies, with the subtitles was difficult pay attention to the movies if I must pass all the movie reading, and with the song, i needed know what say in the lyrics, I went learning with the time, and know I can understand almost everything, and maybe talk too haha.

now finally after 19 years I'm taking classes of English, but already know, the things that the profesor teach! haha

I started to learn english when I was 7.

So, it was in 1 class [when I started to go to school... ;D].

Now I'm almost 13, so I'm learning english for about 6 years...

[wOw :shocked: ]

Of course, I'm learning english not just in school.

Films, forums [like MFC ;) ] music [especially Mika's songs... :punk: ] and etc.

I know, that my english isn't very good, but hey! - I'm learning!

My father can speak english very well... His work includes that ;)

Hey! I like this thread!!

I'm from Argentina, so I speak Spanish, but I learn speak English.... how? I have no idea, I learn by my sefl, so that's why I'm not so good speaking spelling and writing haha.

I guess that's I learn from songs, and movies, with the subtitles was difficult pay attention to the movies if I must pass all the movie reading, and with the song, i needed know what say in the lyrics, I went learning with the time, and know I can understand almost everything, and maybe talk too haha.

now finally after 19 years I'm taking classes of English, but already know, the things that the profesor teach! haha

That's funny!:naughty:

You should be proud!:thumb_yello:

That's funny!:naughty:

You should be proud!:thumb_yello:

I am, the people said that I'm very good, cause I never take any class till now, I speak about 8 or more years ago, I can't remember since when, is like I wake up one day and I know speak in English! hahaha.

i also speak italian! haha

That is really awesome how everyone here knows English through other ways. I'm American, so I grew up only speaking English. But I've had tons of friends who knew other languages. Like right now I have a guy friend from Columbia, and he's learning English. We talk through e-mails, and I forgot that he might have trouble understanding me. He apologizes all the time for his grammar, but I could care less. I'm just happy we can talk. lol!

Most students in English have trouble with grammar, so it's nothing to be worried about. My last English teacher had a fit over the state of our grammar.

I've just always felt like I shouldn't correct mistakes because I thought it would make me look mean. And I don't want others to think I'm doing it to sound mean. But if anyone wants help, I'm totally willing to help out in anyway I can.

French education is not really great at teaching languages (as many know :naughty:). But more and more French people travel / have to learn English for work' date=' so little by little it's getting better. Now you can find people in Paris who will help you ::![/quote']

I couldn't agree more :naughty:

As for me, I've been studying english for more than half of my life now (it sounds so "show-off"-y :naughty:) but I've watched english films before although I didn't understand much of it (not to say nothing :naughty:) but it helped be get used to that language.

So, I have started learning english in a centre called the British Council so when I began it at school, I already knew a few basics.

But what really helped me improved was watching English movies, especially my favourite series ever, Friends in english. I would watch it over and over again and it enabled me to widen my vocabulary and phrase structures, things like that. I also like reading books in english, like Sophie Kinsella's and Stephen Clarke's

Now, I even think in english without meaning it or start talking english out of the blue !!! Concerning vocabulary, I always think of the english word first, and I can't never remeber the french one... :doh: Even with all of that, my english is still not fluent :naughty:

As a result, I have more trouble with the other languages I'm studying_ italian and german_ as my mind is working in english :naughty:

My native language is Dutch, but I've learned English when I was about 6 years old. My grandparents used to ask me words when they came on a tvprogramma for example and I used to watch BBC back then as well:naughty:

Now I'm still learning English at school, I write in English all the time and sometimes even think in English, especially when I have to talk a lot of English.:naughty:

My native language is Dutch, but I've learned English when I was about 6 years old. My grandparents used to ask me words when they came on a tvprogramma for example and I used to watch BBC back then as well:naughty:

Now I'm still learning English at school, I write in English all the time and sometimes even think in English, especially when I have to talk a lot of English.:naughty:

Me too :lmfao: I was just talking to one of my friends (who is Dutch) on msn, and I spoke in English by accident!:naughty:

hello!

i am french canadian, born to parents who do not speak english at all. the year i was born, they moved to a small town that is in quebec, but 1 mile from vermont. i would say 50% of the town is english & 50% french. as i was growing up, i made english friends. although i understood everything, i did not speak english until i was about 12. i refused to... i was afraid people would laugh at me :blush-anim-cl:

puppy love made me speak english. and i haven't stopped since. i actually work more in english then french now. 4 out of 6 of my siblings can speak english well enough to get by. my brother and i are bilingual.

my parents are so happy and proud that my children were raised to speak french and english from the day they were born. i spoke french to them & hubby spoke english. we are a very confusing family to listen to :naughty:

Great thread, I think a lot of MFCers have english as their second language... :)

As was already said, it's just necessary to know english nowadays....

I started learning english when I was 7 years old (which means I've been studying it for almost 10 years :boxed: ) , but for the first few years, I really knew only the simple basics.... I guess my english got much better in the last few years...Guess it's because of the internet :naughty:

I like english, don't know for what reason, i like learning languages in general, but english is somehow my favourite... :punk:

I've been only learning at school (well.... but I'm always bored, I usually know everything that is said in the lessons. Gosh, that just sounded so egoistic o_O ) It's just that I learn english myself at home, mostly reading something, watching some series or movies... chatting ;-D

Next year, I wanna do an exam at the british council..... see, if I'm good enough.... but i'm afraid I'm not :naughty: Let's see (-: . Now, I am just satisfied with the fact, that other people understand what I'm trying to say :)

Oh, and my native language it's czech, altogether with slovak. (sounds like i'm bilingual, but in fact, the languages are very, very similar to each other. ) I can speak quite good german (Hope noone from the german threads sees this... they might laugh XD ) and I'm studying spanish. Hopefully, I will be able to speak it properly one day as well :-)

MFC helped so much with my english !!

I learnt english by myself, since I was like 8 years old. I looove video games and all the video games my brother used to play were in english. So I used to play with a diccionary by my side.

I really love languages. Last year I read the last Harry Potter book in english. It was awesome !! It's not the same that in spanish.

I still have some little problems with my english, but that's because I learnt it by myself. I'm working on that.:bleh:

All my family can speak english. But my father and I can speak better than my mother and my brothers.:bleh:

So if there's one thing that MFC really opened my eyes to, it's the fact that so many people all over the world who speak another language natively, but have made the effort to learn English - and have learned it well enough to be able to communicate with native English speakers very, very well.

I find it particularly impressive because where I am in Western Canada, learning additional languages is not given much priority. So I'm fascinated by people who make it a priority.

So tell me - if English is not your first language, how did you learn it? How old were you when you began learning English? Are you still taking classes to improve your English? What's your native language? And, do your parents/brothers/sisters speak English?

Well,what about me..I'm italian,but my parents alway wanted me to learn english and maybe a second language in the next future (maybe french..)

So at 9 years old I started taking some private lessons (but i also studied english before with a teacher,but i learned few things (expecially names..)

last year i did the pet exam,and the next one i'm going to try the FCE..during this summer,i'm going to study in ireland for 2 weeks for improve my english:roftl:

my mother and my father speak english quite good (my father also works with a usa company,so he often travels abroad and he talks at the phone in english with a lot of persons during conferences..

my brother is studying english like me,and the next year is going to take the pet exam :P