Emerald

C'était très bon pour moi aussi, ce texte, pour apprendre!

Le temps ici fait mal et je suis mal aussi. J'ai mal aux oreilles, (well, just one), je dois aller a l'hopital cette après-midi :thumbdown:. J'èspère le médicin peut m'aider.

The antibiotics are not working, hopefully things will be better soon. I have a great doctor so it probably will.

Edited by Monie

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

C'était très bon pour moi aussi, ce texte, pour apprendre!

Le temps ici fait mal et je suis mal aussi. J'ai mal aux oreilles, (well, just one), je dois aller a l'hopital cette après-midi :thumbdown:. J'èspère le médicin peut m'aider.

The antibiotics are not working, hopefully things will be better soon. I have a great doctor so it probably will.

Le temps est mauvais.

You'd say "je VAIS mal" rather.

J'espère QUE le médecin peut m'aider

:thumb_yello:

Tu as sûrement une otite (dunno how to say that in Englihs lol :naughty:)

Oh, I hope you'll fell better soon!! :huglove:

• 4 weeks later...
coucou!

any Frenchies about?

I have a little question that I was having a bit of a debate about with my friends today... can you use accents over capital letters??

I don't think you have to, but you can....*shrug*

I don't think you have to, but you can....*shrug*

You see I thought you weren't supposed to use them with capital letters.. I'm nearly sure my old teacher said that! But two of my friends disagreed :boxed: soooo I thought I'll have to take this question elsewhere.. not looking good for my side so far though :naughty:

You see I thought you weren't supposed to use them with capital letters.. I'm nearly sure my old teacher said that! But two of my friends disagreed :boxed: soooo I thought I'll have to take this question elsewhere.. not looking good for my side so far though :naughty:

I don't think you're supposed to either, but I don't think it's necessarily wrong if you put them. It's just...unfrench :naughty:

Hi!!

Well, if I'm writing with Word or OpenOffice, it puts the word in red if I don't put the accent. But honestly, it's not necessary. If, for example, you write the word "éléphant", it's not wrong to write "Eléphant". But I guess you should put the accent to the capital "à".

My name is "émilie", but I write it Emilie. I somehow prefer it without the accent, but well ^^.

Le temps est mauvais.

:thumb_yello:

Thanks Emilie, je suis mieux, ma otite est finie :original:.

Why do you say le temps est mauvais? I thought with the wether one always says il fait? Things keep on getting more complicated :bleh:!

Thanks Emilie, je suis mieux, ma otite est finie :original:.

Why do you say le temps est mauvais? I thought with the wether one always says il fait? Things keep on getting more complicated :bleh:!

Je VAIS mieux / Mon otite ^^

Oh cool, je suis contente!! :D

Why do we say "le temps EST mauvais"? Well er.... I don't know:bleh: You say "il FAIT mauvais" and "le temps EST mauvais", really, I don't know why... I guess it's just the way it is:naughty:

Any other teacher has an idea?

Why do we say "le temps EST mauvais"? Well er.... I don't know:bleh: You say "il FAIT mauvais" and "le temps EST mauvais", really, I don't know why... I guess it's just the way it is:naughty:

well i don't know neither.... never thought about it :bleh:

maybe when someone ask you "quel temps fait il aujourd'hui?" you won't answer "le temps est beau" but rather "il fait beau" and then you don't have to repeat the word "weather"....you know what I mean? :blush-anim-cl:

But currently, when you want to talk about the weather, you can use both.... but in the ordinary language, we rather use "il fait...":thumb_yello: there's no explanation I think.... for example, we'll say "il y a du vent" plutôt que "le temps est venteux", you see? the two ways are right but the first one is more practised and more often used :wink2:

you know, there's not always an explanation for everything :naughty:

although miss_lollipop54's theory might be right, but I'm afraid it will get you more confused. not that I think her explaining skills suck lol but because the theory is complicated in itself :wink2:

Voilà! J'ai ajouté tout le monde! Bienvenue aux nouveaux membres!! :D

Ouais, et en français, il y a tellement d'exceptions et de trucs bizarres que ça vaut des fois plus la peine d'essayer de trouver un explication :naughty: (in French, there are so many exceptions and weird things that it's not worth trying to find an explanation)

Voilà! J'ai ajouté tout le monde! Bienvenue aux nouveaux membres!! :D

Ouais, et en français, il y a tellement d'exceptions et de trucs bizarres que ça vaut des fois plus la peine d'essayer de trouver un explication :naughty: (in French, there are so many exceptions and weird things that it's not worth trying to find an explanation)

Génial Emilie, merci beaucoup :wink2:

(Great, thanks a lot )

Je vais faire ce que je peux hein, mais je suis motivée c'est déjà ça :bleh:

(I am going to make what I can , but I am motivated it is already that ) et puis ça va me faire réviser l'anglais :wink2: D'ailleurs n'hésitez pas à me reprendre si j'ai tout faux :naughty:

Le temps est mauvais.

Une/Mon? Shouldn't it be une/ma or un/mon? Or am I making no sense again :bleh:.

I think I understand now, after the explanation about the weather :naughty:. Il fait, mais le temps est. Thank you all.

Et bienvenue Biche, we can always use another professeur!

Une/Mon? Shouldn't it be une/ma or un/mon? Or am I making no sense again :bleh:.

Et bienvenue Biche, we can always use another professeur!

Merci Monie :blush-anim-cl:

Tu as raison, ce n'est pas logique une/mon MAIS comme le mot "ottite" commence par une voyelle "a" "e" "i" "o" "u" "y" on utilise "mon" . Même si c'est un mot féminin :wink2:

You are right, it is not logical une/mon BUT as the word " ottite " begins with a vowel "a" "e" "i" "o" "u" "y" we use "mon" instead "ma" Even if it is a feminine word :wink2:

Exemple :

une imagination > Mon imagination

Une opération > Mon opération

J'espère que ça t'aide un peu :wink2:

Merci Monie :blush-anim-cl:

Tu as raison, ce n'est pas logique une/mon MAIS comme le mot "ottite" commence par une voyelle "a" "e" "i" "o" "u" "y" on utilise "mon" . Même si c'est un mot féminin :wink2:

You are right, it is not logical une/mon BUT as the word " ottite " begins with a vowel "a" "e" "i" "o" "u" "y" we use "mon" instead "ma" Even if it is a feminine word :wink2:

Exemple :

une imagination > Mon imagination

Une opération > Mon opération

J'espère que ça t'aide un peu :wink2:

exactly. just try to say "ma imagination" and you'll know why we use mon :bleh: "mon imagination" is a lot easier to pronounce as you make the "liaison" between the 2 words and you actually pronounce the final N of mon, because the next word starts with a vowel :wink2:

Salut,

Je suis noha

Je desere parler francais aussi.... (I want to learn french too) :wink2:

le langue de Franscais est tres magnifiqu, mais a moin complique

Et Plus, que est ce que le mot "ottite" ??

(what does "ottite" means?)

et il fait beau :thumb_yello:

Hello !

I like reading this thread. You learn many things about your own language when you try to explain it to someone else, so it is very interesting for everybody. Although I am not a "recognized teacher" on this thread, may I add something to what has already been very well explained earlier?

J'aime lire ce fil de discussion. On apprend beaucoup de choses sur sa propre langue quand on essaye de l'expliquer à quelqu'un d'autre, donc c'est très intéressant pour tout le monde. Bien que je ne sois pas un "professeur reconnu" sur cette file, puis-je ajouter quelque chose à ce qui a déjà très bien été expliqué plus tôt ?

Just as the possessive pronoun "ma" becomes "mon" before the noun "otite", adjectives such as "nouveau" or "beau" ending with a vowel are replaced by "nouvel" or "bel" when the following word begins with a vowel or an unaspirated "h".

Tout comme le pronom possessif "ma" devient "mon" devant le nom "otite", les adjectifs tels que "nouveau" ou "beau" finissant par une voyelle sont remplacés par "nouvel" ou "bel" quand le mot suivant commence par une voyelle ou un "h" non aspiré.

So, it is :

my earache = mon otite (not "ma otite"), which is an inflammation of the ear (une inflammation de l'oreille) Noha :wink2:

your earache = ton otite (not "ta otite")

his/her earache = son otite (not "sa otite")

my friend = mon ami (masculine) or mon amie (feminine)

Mika's new album = le nouvel album de Mika (not "le nouveau album de Mika")

I have a new friend = J'ai un nouvel ami (not "J'ai un nouveau ami") if it is a man, or "J'ai une nouvelle amie" if it is a woman

Mika is a handsome man = Mika est un bel homme (not "Mika est un beau homme").

I hope it helped a little :blush-anim-cl:.

Have a nice day :) !!!

l557ijg7.gif

Edited by Fricadelle

Biche,Cath et Fricadelle. merci beaucoup pour m'expliquer!

Et c'est vrai, Mika est un bel homme :naughty:.

I already was thinking: should I write m'otite instead of ma otite?

I hope I will remember this part of the French grammaire :wink2:.