Suzy

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Cabbage Patch Kid dolls were a hit:

cabbagepatch-0520030.jpg

I actually STILL HAVE my cabbage patch kid. I'm moving soon and need to get rid of everything, but I still don't think I can throw it out. Man, did I love that thing. :blush-anim-cl:

Let's see... I would have been 9, and had a poster of Michael Jackson on the wall. I was going to marry him, btw. I said goodnight to him and kissed the poster every single night.

Funny how I don't think some people around here imagine that kind of behaviour being odd. With our Michael.

I'm confident though, that the similarities between the music prodigies are limited to just the talent and circus/theme park fantasy worlds.:mf_rosetinted:

I was 11 that year as well.

Ummm, we moved that year from a city to a small country town about 5 hours away, because of my Dad's work.

I remember not really being into pop music yet, I was playing the piano and started to learn to play the tenor horn.

Never had a cabbage patch doll. Didn't have a rubiks cube, but my sister did. I do remember leg warmers and boom boxes and scratch'n'sniff stickers, but not friendship beads on the shoes.

I remember that was the first time someone I knew died. One of the girls in my class (who I sat next to in concert band cos she played french horn) had a sand cave collapse on her in the school holidays when she was playing with one of the other girls from our class (who survived).

I remember starting a trend in our class by giving someone "smelly pens" (coloured pens whose ink smelled like different fruits appropriate to the colour of the ink ie purple=grape, yellow= lemon etc) for their birthday and pretty soon everybody had them.

I played hockey and rode my bike and read a lot of Sweet Dreams romances. I collected bookmarks and erasers.

I liked the minister's son from church (who is now married, with a couple of kids and looks nothing like he did then).

Gosh that feels like a long time ago...

I played hockey and rode my bike and read a lot of Sweet Dreams romances.

Oh yeah, I did start reading romance novels, Sweet Valley High and a lot of Judy Blume.

Oh yeah, I did start reading romance novels, Sweet Valley High and a lot of Judy Blume.

Yes! I remember when I was 13, I wanted a red Spider Fiat, cos the Wakefield twins drove one.... and i didn't even know what it looked like!

And Judy Blume!:bow: I thought she was brilliant. She got me onto Paul Zindel (I don't really remember how, but the two of them are very much connected in my mind).

i was not even born yet lol

my mom was like 22 so yeah

i had to wait 9 years later :)

haha 1992 :)

i was named Victoriarose ( yeah one word)

because of my two aunts that past away

although now "victoria" is a kinda popular name at my school now

i didnt have a cabbage pach doll cuz my mom saw that thing on the news about the little girl's hair getting eatten by one lol. so my mom put her foot down and said no!

i was really into barney back then, and throwing my shoes on the floor after my mom just cleaned up

and doing a dance that my mom likes to call "doing the butt., shake it, shake it" lol :roftl:

Funny :roftl: And highlights our age, ahem!

I was 12, and had just moved back to Spain to live in Barcelona after spending 7 years around the world (Netherlands, then Argentina and then again NL in a different city).

So 83 was just after we moved back "home".....I remember the furore that videos had caused, and we used to have a big VIDEO 2000 thingie that one could flip the cassettes in...Those were the days of the big Beta versus VHS war that VHS would win hands down.

I also remember Michael Jackson and Eurythmics, and especially this Mexican singer that I was properly OBSESSED with called Luis Miguel. :roftl:

Fame was a major favourite, I was obsessed with the actress Lori something, the one that was also in the movie Footloose, and in love with Dani (was that his name? the italian kid).

Eurovision was a personal highlight of the year, so was this TV show called St Elsewhere, and all the Police Academy movies which cracked me up. Does anyone remember Tackleberry?????

HAHAHA

Sweet memories.

In August I would have been on school holiday, most likely going to the beach.

You lived in Argentina?? Where exactly??

Well I wasn't exist at that time but my brother was born 4 months after Mika! So Mika was just a little baby, I sooo want to see a picture of baby Mika!! I bet he was a very cute baby!

Righto... Meeks was born on the 18th of August... I was 2 months, 5 days off being born!

My birthday is the 23rd of October for those who have a little trouble counting... and Starrats is born on the exact same day too!

Other things that happened in 1983:

# War by U2 was released

# Wearing seatbelts became mandatory in the United Kingdom! :naughty:

# The Ash Wednesday fires in South Australia and Victoria - the worst fire in Australia's history

# The U.S Embassy is bombed in Beirut, killing 63 people.

# Sally Ride becomes the first American woman in space, on the Space Shuttle Challenger.

# The Nintendo Entertainment System goes on sale in Japan

# Australia wins America's Cup.

# Microsoft Word is first released.

# The game show "GO!" premieres on NBC. (This means absolutely nothing to me, except it happened on my b'day!)

# Pope John Paul II visits his would-be assassin Mehmet Ali Ağca in prison to forgive him

# Michael Jackson's world famous music video for "Thriller" is broadcast for the first time. (2 December)

# Flashdance and Return of the Jedi are box-office hits.

# McDonald's introduces the McNugget (Happy Brithday McNuggets!)

# The De Lorean Motor Company ceases production (I seriously want a De Lorean! Blame Back To The Future!)

# Superman 3 was released (possibly not a good thing... it's not great, but it's got Christopher Reeve in it :wub2:)

Other Birthdays (I only did the people I recognised... and some of them I said what they do):

Taylor Hanson

Kate Bosworth

Agyness Deyn

Emily Blunt

Carrie Underwood

Miranda Kerr (Model)

Jake Wall (Jennifer Hawkins' bf - He's a model)

Holly Valance (Aussie "actress")

Kim Clijsters (was engaged to Lleyton Hewitt)

Leelee Sobieski (aka Joan of Arc *points to avvie*)

Bec Cartwright (Lleyton Hewitt's wife)

Amy Winehouse

Nicky Hilton

Jennifer Hawkins (Former Miss Universe!)

Deaths:

Tennessee Williams (he's the only one I knew!)

Eurovision was a personal highlight of the year, so was this TV show called St Elsewhere, and all the Police Academy movies which cracked me up. Does anyone remember Tackleberry?????

Tackleberry was cool...

I liked Hightower...

MEEEA-11.jpg

And Commandant Lassard...

Eric_Lassard_2.jpg

I wanna watch it now!

In January, 1983...

My mother was 23, engaged to a man that she was in love with, and working as a dental assistant and studying to become a dentist herself.

By January, 1984...

She was 24, had broken the engagement and eloped with her best friend instead. As a result, she had become estranged from her family and had a miscarriage, had quit her job and had begun training to be an actress.

5 years later, she had made up with her family and had become a housewife instead of an actress, but her life was "pleasantly interrupted once more" as she puts it, by the event of my birth.:biggrin2:

we have poilce academy on tv RIGHT NOW.

love it :naughty:

So do I... even though it's as old as me! :naughty:

In January, 1983...

My mother was 23, engaged to a man that she was in love with, and working as a dental assistant and studying to become a dentist herself.

By January, 1984...

She was 24, had broken the engagement and eloped with her best friend instead. As a result, she had become estranged from her family and had a miscarriage, had quit her job and had begun training to be an actress.

5 years later, she had made up with her family and had become a housewife instead of an actress, but her life was "pleasantly interrupted once more" as she puts it, by the event of my birth.:biggrin2:

Whoa...

Love how her life was pleasantly interrupted :naughty:

Actually, I was the only one that wasn't an ooops...