Any atheists ?

Pam Travers

I feel the same way, however, everything you have stated probably will happen and that's what I'm afraid of...

It doesn't have to, but it most likely will.

Then again, I'm a pessimist:naughty:

EDIT:

P.S. I'm very surprised to see how many atheists there are on here. I'm not saying it's bad, but I find it quite surprising. That is all. Goodbye :naughty:

That was my reaction too. SUPRISING who would have ever thunk it.

Ok, so I KNOW that you are not saying this with a malicious intention, but I must point out that I find it strange that you are so surprised about it.

There are many atheists and agnostics in the world, so why would MFC not have any? :wink2: Were you really expecting everyone here to be religious?

Again, I'm not saying this with any disrespect or the intention to start a fight, but don't you think that this sort of "surprised" attitude is one of the reasons why there are often so many issues between believers and non-believers?

Is this not a very short sighted mentality? I ask you: WHY were you expecting that everyone or most people here were religious? Because it's what YOU consider NORMAL?

It would seem that being religious is what is EXPECTED, and when someone is not, they are considered a bit of a weirdo.

Food for thought?

• Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, so I KNOW that you are not saying this with a malicious intention, but I must point out that I find it strange that you are so surprised about it.

There are many atheists and agnostics in the world, so why would MFC not have any? :wink2: Were you really expecting everyone here to be religious?

Again, I'm not saying this with any disrespect or the intention to start a fight, but don't you think that this sort of "surprised" attitude is one of the reasons why there are often so many issues between believers and non-believers?

Is this not a very short sighted mentality? I ask you: WHY were you expecting that everyone or most people here were religious? Because it's what YOU consider NORMAL?

It would seem that being religious is what is EXPECTED, and when someone is not, they are considered a bit of a weirdo.

Food for thought?

last sentence: Quite opposite in my world, it's the overly religious "Don't swear infront of me god can hear you" types that are seen as weirdos. I know I may go to a public school so of course my friends and i don't read the bible, but...get my drift?:bleh: I mean, I'm christian, chyeah, but i just had jehovah's witnesses come to my door, and they were some of the nicest people i have ever met, so i took time to talk about them about jesus christ our saviour, and they had some interesting points.

Off topic...sorry :wub2:

Food for thought?

Of course I can only speak for myself so......

My suprise is ummm.... well, I suppose I just imagined most people who beleive 'something' even though we are all different 'religions' and cultures and all that good stuff..... just seems that most of us would just of course beleive in different..... but beleive in 'something' ..... it is {strange} for me that someone is atheist... again, you have to forgive my ignorance and take into consideration personal upbringing. I was not raised in a 'religious family' we don't go to church - i do not force anything upon my kids.....

but, for me merely the word alone ATHEIST is 'considered' an ugly word - evil, if you will...... although now I see that perhaps that is not the case because some of the people that I admire the MOST on the MFC are professing to be such. Even being from such an environment it does NOT at all change my opinion of these folks - but, then again I am a VERY open-minded person ... and I am not at all judgmental. ALTHOUGH I must say even I *at first notice had to gasp for air.... and remind myself of the person I want to be*

Atheysts are so unappropriate for christmas consumism and such..and we still think with our own mind :meow:

seriously, its also a matter of freedom..is it possible in a democracy to have such an "enviromental conditioning" that leads people to abandon their identity for not being discriminated by large part of the society? :glasses2:

big deals apart.. for me just to get waked up on sunday mo' coz of the bells is such an annoying thing..why you've to make noize?! :rolleyes:

Well ,that is a great point.

I have many friends in Spain, who even though they don't actually believe in god or class themselves as catholics or even christians, still get married in the church.

Why?

Because it's what their society expects, and what their families expect. Families put this big pressure on them saying "how unhappy they will make them" or downright threatening them with not attending the wedding if they decide to have a civil ceremony.

Result: most people marry in the church, although they haven't set foot in one for many years, and can't even remember the last time that they actually thought about god.

Heck, as an atheist I think more about god (or lack of, or whatever) and religious matters than many of them, who just don't have any sort of feeling in that sense.

Yet, they "count" as catholics.

And yes, of course, they baptise their kids. Because that is what you do, and what your parents and family expect.

I'm sure that I secretly disappointed some of my older family members by having a civil wedding.

My suprise is ummm.... well, I suppose I just imagined most people who beleive 'something' even though we are all different 'religions' and cultures and all that good stuff..... just seems that most of us would just of course beleive in different..... but beleive in 'something' ..... it is {strange} for me that someone is atheist... again, you have to forgive my ignorance and take into consideration personal upbringing. I was not raised in a 'religious family' we don't go to church - i do not force anything upon my kids.....

but, for me merely the word alone ATHEIST is 'considered' an ugly word - evil, if you will...... although now I see that perhaps that is not the case because some of the people that I admire the MOST on the MFC are professing to be such. Even being from such an environment it does NOT at all change my opinion of these folks - but, then again I am a VERY open-minded person ... and I am not at all judgmental. ALTHOUGH I must say even I *at first notice had to gasp for air.... and remind myself of the person I want to be*

Yes, I guess that this is what gets to me about it, that somehow the word atheist has this bad press, like you can't possibly be a good person if you don 't believe in a god...

It bugs me quite a bit because I think that I have one of the strongest senses of fairness in the world, and of course many times I do things that are wrong, but I am always so desperate to do the right thing, and to defend the innocent, etc, that it bothers me quite a bit when some people have this pre-conception and just assume that because I don't adore a god, I can't be "good".

Heck, one can have the strongest morals and not believe, or believe and be a total amorak jerk :naughty:.

It's good that you bring your kids up like that, I think that it's the best that you can do for them, and let them discover what and who they want to be.

Btw, and just for the record, if I have kids one day I won't be making them hate religion, or force them not to believe: I will just let them be, offer the possibilities, explain MY views, and leave them to it.

It's only fair isn't it?

After what I had to fight, I could not possibly do the same (even if in the reverse situation) to my kids, how hypocritical would that be :wink2:.

Obviously, the same applies to the so loved in the US at the moment "Intelligent Design".

Is that not the same as creationism? Not that it's of major importance, I was just wondering if there are even different nuances of this belief. :blink:

last sentence: Quite opposite in my world, it's the overly religious "Don't swear infront of me god can hear you" types that are seen as weirdos. I know I may go to a public school so of course my friends and i don't read the bible, but...get my drift?:bleh: I mean, I'm christian, chyeah, but i just had jehovah's witnesses come to my door, and they were some of the nicest people i have ever met, so i took time to talk about them about jesus christ our saviour, and they had some interesting points.

Off topic...sorry :wub2:

About JW, I have some in my family. They look and dress worthy and act nicely for a purpose when they come to your door. Just keep that in mind. I surely won't go into detail because there is an awful lot of material for controverse discussion, which can turn out nasty easily. You don't have to dig very deep into their world to wonder quite a bit. If they don't brainwash you before you have the chance, that is.

I mean, sure, each to their own, live and let live and so on... and I do advance that view when it comes to different religions. As long as no harm is done to those who have nothing to do with it or to those who can't defend themselves because they're born into such an environment.

Yes, I guess that this is what gets to me about it, that somehow the word atheist has this bad press, like you can't possibly be a good person if you don 't believe in a god...

It bugs me quite a bit because I think that I have one of the strongest senses of fairness in the world, and of course many times I do things that are wrong, but I am always so desperate to do the right thing, and to defend the innocent, etc, that it bothers me quite a bit when some people have this pre-conception and just assume that because I don't adore a god, I can't be "good".

Heck, one can have the strongest morals and not believe, or believe and be a total amorak jerk :naughty:.

It's good that you bring your kids up like that, I think that it's the best that you can do for them, and let them discover what and who they want to be.

Btw, and just for the record, if I have kids one day I won't be making them hate religion, or force them not to believe: I will just let them be, offer the possibilities, explain MY views, and leave them to it.

It's only fair isn't it?

After what I had to fight, I could not possibly do the same (even if in the reverse situation) to my kids, how hypocritical would that be :wink2:.

Sara sara...

Why were you wearing such a lovely white dress at your wedding? Such a christian symbol...

Food to thought? :naughty::bleh::bleh:

Is that not the same as creationism? Not that it's of major importance, I was just wondering if there are even different nuances of this belief. :blink:

About JW, I have some in my family. They look and dress worthy and act nicely for a purpose when they come to your door. Just keep that in mind. I surely won't go into detail because there is an awful lot of material for controverse discussion, which can turn out nasty easily. You don't have to dig very deep into their world to wonder quite a bit. If they don't brainwash you before you have the chance, that is.

I mean, sure, each to their own, live and let live and so on... and I do advance that view when it comes to different religions. As long as no harm is done to those who have nothing to do with it or to those who can't defend themselves because they're born into such an environment.

I think I understand. Yeah, i find them fascinating but i mean they don't know what religion i am i dont think they should really be talking to be about jesus christ..

That is the thing, it is, but they have "decorated" it to sound more theory and scientific like, in order to teach it alongside the Darwinian theories....Madness :roftl:.

Sara sara...

Why were you wearing such a lovely white dress at your wedding? Such a christian symbol...

Food to thought? :naughty::bleh::bleh:

Christian symbol? Not at all.

Firstly, it was ivory (not white) and with bright cerise, which is so NOT the right christian symbolism for a wedding.

Secondly, white dresses are only quite a recent custom, dating from Queen Victoria, who seems to have started the tradition by wearing a white gown.

This was done as a symbol of purity, not necessarily as a religious thing, as before QV this was not the custom. Brides just wore what they wanted, no particular colour prefered.

So basically, the white/whitish dress thing is not a very stong argument to pick Miss I Am So Bored Let Me Pick on Sara Who is Always a Good One :roftl:.

Christian symbol? Not at all.

Firstly, it was ivory (not white) and with bright cerise, which is so NOT the right christian symbolism for a wedding.

Secondly, white dresses are only quite a recent custom, dating from Queen Victoria, who seems to have started the tradition by wearing a white gown.

This was done as a symbol of purity, not necessarily as a religious thing, as before QV this was not the custom. Brides just wore what they wanted, no particular colour prefered.

So basically, the white/whitish dress thing is not a very stong argument to pick Miss I Am So Bored Let Me Pick on Sara Who is Always a Good One :roftl:.

You know that it's a christian symbol, associated with virginity, even if it wasn't that at the start. Just like Xmas is now associated with christianism, although it was a pagan ceremony long before that.

I just wanted to stress out the fact that little girls have this thing in their mind when they think of their wedding : the princess gown, and the impressive location (and honnestly, I do think churches are impressive and nice locations lol). It has little to do with being forced a religion upon, imo. So I guess most people actually marry at the church for the sake of the fast and traditions rather then because they feel compelled to do it by some kind of religious society.

Even though I consider my self Atheist, I can actualy relate to that. Atheistis a pretty strong word because as far as I am concerned, I have always thought that it meant that

1. you belived in nothing

2. you rot when you die

i can relate to #1, but not #2 because I cant decide for myself what happens until I die.

So basically my point is, I see how you might see atheist as 'evil' or whatnot, because it almost seems impossible to not belive anything.

You know that it's a christian symbol, associated with virginity, even if it wasn't that at the start. Just like Xmas is now associated with christianism, although it was a pagan ceremony long before that.

I just wanted to stress out the fact that little girls have this thing in their mind when they think of their wedding : the princess gown, and the impressive location (and honnestly, I do think churches are impressive and nice locations lol). It has little to do with being forced a religion upon, imo. So I guess most people actually marry at the church for the sake of the fast and traditions rather then because they feel compelled to do it by some kind of religious society.

The whole "purity" thing is not only christian; many other beliefs have adopted it, and it was not a christian trademark from the start.

Also, when I say about people getting married in the church because of family pressure, I mean that i KNOW these people and I know what their reasons for doing it are.

Nowadays you can have a beautiful and impressive setting (like I did ) for a civil wedding, and there is no need to go to a church for that, so this should not be (as I am sure that it isn't) the reason for people (or most) to do it.

:bleh:

The whole "purity" thing is not only christian; many other beliefs have adopted it, and it was not a christian trademark from the start.

Also, when I say about people getting married in the church because of family pressure, I mean that i KNOW these people and I know what their reasons for doing it are.

Nowadays you can have a beautiful and impressive setting (like I did ) for a civil wedding, and there is no need to go to a church for that, so this should not be (as I am sure that it isn't) the reason for people (or most) to do it.

:bleh:

Sara you organized it in spain right?

I would not even think of organizing a wedding in a garden in sunny Belgium :naughty: Since we have no real beautiful sites, and that renting a castle costs a real fortune, a church would remain the best option for most people here if they don't wanna have to rent the local football club catering to get married there :naughty: And maybe you do know people that did it because of family pressure, but that's also true for civil marriage. And I personally do know people who got married in a church because they thought it was lovely, even if they were no convinced christians.

Even though I consider my self Atheist, I can actualy relate to that. Atheistis a pretty strong word because as far as I am concerned, I have always thought that it meant that

1. you belived in nothing

2. you rot when you die

i can relate to #1, but not #2 because I cant decide for myself what happens until I die.

So basically my point is, I see how you might see atheist as 'evil' or whatnot, because it almost seems impossible to not belive anything.

To tell you the truth -- I was ALWAYS taught that Atheist MEANT:

someone who does NOT beleive in God....but, beleives in the devil - therefore being EVIL. I guess that is why the word FREAKS me out. Because I beleive with all of my heart there is a God named Jesus Christ and he died on the cross and that there is a DEVIL .... satan, lucefer, bealzebub whatever you want to call him. When I was little - I was told anyone who does not beleive in God ... worships the devil.

Of course I know that is not true now :naughty:

Oh but we all do christians, muslims, atheists...:naughty:

So very true :naughty:

I meant that you dont have an afterlife :bleh:

Nobody actually KNOWS that they will have one, they just hope that they will. Kinda different concept :naughty:.

I would not even think of organizing a wedding in a garden in sunny Belgium :naughty: Since we have no real beautiful sites, and that renting a castle costs a real fortune, a church would remain the best option for most people here if they don't wanna have to rent the local football club catering to get married there :naughty: And maybe you do know people that did it because of family pressure, but that's also true for civil marriage. And I personally do know people who got married in a church because they thought it was lovely, even if they were no convinced christians.

Oh goddamit woman, just move to spain then and leave me aloooone!! :roftl:

I don't know what's up for hire in Belgium or the prices, but you have some beautiful places there. Ok I haven't seen all of the country but even so......

I do agree about churches though, it's the tradition, for me and also churches usually have a serene atmosphere and can be so picturesque.

To tell you the truth -- I was ALWAYS taught that Atheist MEANT:

someone who does NOT beleive in God....but, beleives in the devil - therefore being EVIL. I guess that is why the word FREAKS me out. Because I beleive with all of my heart there is a God named Jesus Christ and he died on the cross and that there is a DEVIL .... satan, lucefer, bealzebub whatever you want to call him. When I was little - I was told anyone who does not beleive in God ... worships the devil.

Of course I know that is not true now :naughty:

See, that cannot be any further from the truth :naughty:. And isn't the evil one here the one who teaches people this???

Of course if I don't believe in god, I am not going to believe in his "evil counterpart", that would be plain ridiculous. :roftl:. A bit like not believing in Batman, but believing in Penguin.:roftl:

See, that cannot be any further from the truth :naughty:. And isn't the evil one here the one who teaches people this???

Of course if I don't believe in god, I am not going to believe in his "evil counterpart", that would be plain ridiculous. :roftl:. A bit like not believing in Batman, but believing in Penguin.:roftl:

:lmao: exactly!!!!!!

You Do beleive in batman though, don't you :boxed:

:roftl:

I don't know what's up for hire in Belgium or the prices, but you have some beautiful places there. Ok I haven't seen all of the country but even so......

I do agree about churches though, it's the tradition, for me and also churches usually have a serene atmosphere and can be so picturesque.

Yes that's what I meant. If we were to get married (don't think that'll happen tho since my bf and I don't really see the point) I guess we'd go for a church. Not because of the religious aspect, but because of that serenity and romantic side they have. I'm fond of the light you can find in some of them, not to mention the architecture. That's why the only times I actually go to "church" are for visiting purposes :naughty:

yeah, {old}churches..oh so fashinating bunch of symbolically positioned bricks.:kaf:

Pity they are pointlessly used :meow:...create some museums or refugees hostels, dangit!

Don't get me started on hypocrisy/power based on fear..issues:rolleyes:

like a month ago i went to a party in a church and some people were there against the party because they argued that we couldnt have fun in a place where there was once refugees and suffering.

wat you think?

@christine, it was true for the blog!!! with the black magic!!! i thought you were kidding me yesterday,oh god, anyway, i just commented ,lol...

i was shocked.

Yes that's what I meant. If we were to get married (don't think that'll happen tho since my bf and I don't really see the point) I guess we'd go for a church. Not because of the religious aspect, but because of that serenity and romantic side they have. I'm fond of the light you can find in some of them, not to mention the architecture. That's why the only times I actually go to "church" are for visiting purposes :naughty:

Yeah I love to go into churches just for the atmosphere, and to think a bit. I like the light also, some have wonderful stained glass and I like the musty fusty dusty smell and I like old buildings. I'm not religious either but can appreciate a nice church. :thumb_yello:

like a month ago i went to a party in a church and some people were there against the party because they argued that we couldnt have fun in a place where there was once refugees and suffering.

wat you think?

@christine, it was true for the blog!!! with the black magic!!! i thought you were kidding me yesterday,oh god, anyway, i just commented ,lol...

i was shocked.

We have quite a few churches converted into flats. It's better than knocking them down.

It's only fair isn't it?

I think you get into tricky territory there. To you, it's simple, everyone can believe whatever they want and it's all good, (which, admittedly, is a nice thought) but it doesn't work that way for someone who believes in not only gods and afterlife and heaven, but also the concept of hell.

One can talk about being open-minded and letting everyone do as they so choose, but in the end, we all think that OUR belief is what's really true(obviously, or why would we continue believing it?). The difference is that when you let me practice what I want, you're indulging me, letting me carry on with whatever silly practice I choose and it's easy to say that it's my right to do so, because you believe that it's ineffectual anyways. However, if I let you continue on being a non-believer without saying anything, there are serious consequences. For your immortal soul, and, indirectly, for mine.

"Evil" is a powerful word, and not at all the one that I would use. As I said before, there are fanatics out there who (in my opinion) misinterpret the religious message and twist it to suit their own selfish purposes. But I know that a non-believer can be a good person, a great person. But by my belief system, all the good deeds in the world do not make you...whole, is the only word that properly conveys what I'm trying to say.

It's a triviality for you, but for me, a person isn't spiritually whole unless they've found God and lived by His will. So yes, there is going to be negative connotations connected to atheism. How could there not? Just like every other belief system, there are negative viewpoints to it if you believe differently. You say you've had to fight for your beliefs; well, so have I. The minute I say I'm christian, people automatically assume that I'm trying to be some sort of saint or that I get offended by every curse word or mention of God that isn't praise. And I have gotten laughed out of every scientific course I've taken at university.

I do hope I'm making sense without offending anyone.:boxed: