Any atheists ?

Pam Travers

• Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

...........WOW, as in .................

***** it is HARD to explain ANYTHING without it being taken the WRONG way and immediately everyone jumping on you and wanting to burn you at the stake************************************************

I just COULD NOT beleive that SO MANY of the people here do not beleive in anything.

I am NOT a religious freak.... I don't even go to church people.......

I am just in shock cause I had no idea.

THE O N L Y thing I can say about NO KNOWING if there is a God.... of course we have no proof.... that is why there is such a little thing called

faith --- it means beleiving in something that you cannot see, nor feel, nor touch.... nor PROVE.

I do not want anyone to think I am attacking or whatever one might think.... so I will walk out *gracefully*

------------- do not throw vegetables at me please---------- :naughty:

Holly I think this is the best that could happen to you.... to discover this...different countries= different cultures!:wink2:

Religious upbringing is very much depending on what your family and closest envirement are teaching you.

I think it's a beautiful thing that we have so much variance in this and still are able to have a good time together.

And not to mention learning how things work in other cutures than our own!:thumb_yello:

See how sad my country is: Shops, not even malls open on Sundays AT ALL.

In December, during the pre-Christmas shopping craziness there is usually one (yes ONE) Sunday for the shops to open in my nearest town and even then there usually is a huuuuge annoying uproar manifested in letters to the editor in local newspapers by the oh so godly conservative citizens. No chance that this will change in the near future. Not until the majority of them will have died.

Their main argument is always the 'Holy Sunday' and how it should be dedicated to the family. Is it really such an outlandish idea to spend an all family-dedicated sunday shopping? :blink: Oh right, the poor shop assistants, who have to work that day :doh:

My suggestion would be to close hospitals and restaurants on Sundays, too. Give the poor doctors and nurses a break, please. And the waiters. And the fire brigade and the police. :thumb_yello:

I didn’t know it was like this a country so close to me!:blink:

Interesting.

I understand the discussion and I agree, but it’s a little tempting to look at it this way too:

If the country/culture etc are calling themselves religious it can be interpret as respectful to the beliefs to keep “the holy Sunday dedicated to the family.”

I know it’s easy for me to say, having all the freedom from religious impact we actually have. But I can’t help, on the other hand, seeing families spending a lot of free time together in shops, with wining kids crying for toys and candy, a bit sad!:naughty:

Not that I would want them to go to church, I would rather see them spending time out doors in the sun or the snow!:thumb_yello:

...........WOW, as in .................

***** it is HARD to explain ANYTHING without it being taken the WRONG way and immediately everyone jumping on you and wanting to burn you at the stake************************************************

I just COULD NOT beleive that SO MANY of the people here do not beleive in anything.

I am NOT a religious freak.... I don't even go to church people.......

I am just in shock cause I had no idea.

THE O N L Y thing I can say about NO KNOWING if there is a God.... of course we have no proof.... that is why there is such a little thing called

faith --- it means beleiving in something that you cannot see, nor feel, nor touch.... nor PROVE.

I do not want anyone to think I am attacking or whatever one might think.... so I will walk out *gracefully*

------------- do not throw vegetables at me please---------- :naughty:

I truly believe that believing in a god is a matter of necessity. Some people need to, in order to be happy and fulfilled and find meaning in life, and more importantly, in death.

These are the people who believe in god(s), the afterlife, etc.

Other people (me being one of them) don't feel this need. I appreciate life for what it is, and I am being totally honest and serious in saying that it doesn't bother me one little bit that when I die, I die.

Sure it is a nice concept (I think) that when I die I can continue to live in some "form", and if it did happen when the day comes I guess that it would be a nice surprise, but I honestly don't NEED this in order to enjoy life and strive to be a good person.

I believe in people, in the beauty and wonder of nature, in animals, in friendship, in love....I believe in so many things that make me happy to be living, and that make me enjoy this world, so that I just do not feel the need for more when it comes to an end.

Honestly, you find it shocking that some of us don't believe in a god, but I personally find the opposite.

To me, it does make more sense not to believe in something that cannot be seen or proven, than not to believe in something that doesn't seem to be there.

And I am saying this with all respect, just as a response to your post :wink2:.

That's why people shouldn't discuss religious beliefs and political beliefs on a public forum....people are too opinionated that it always ends up bad.

I disagree- Any topic can be potentially "dangerous" if people behave badly and become agressive or disrespectful, and if this happens, it should be dealt with on a case per case basis.

It would make no sense to say "there is a ban on discussing this and this other topic here" just for the fear that it will lead to issues. To me, treating religion like such a "delicate" and unspeakable thing is one of the reasons why so many problems often surround religious arguments: people are not used to discussing it in a respectful way, and it ends badly.

We should all just use common sense when talking about these things, and that is enough. Worse arguments have started when discussing stupid things like Mika's hair anyway :roftl:.

yeah - i think it should be a rule not to discuss religion / politics. First of all - why do you care about someone else's thoughts if you are just going to well, not take it to account? And I mean like, WARS are started over this sort of thing, is arguing really worth the sake of a friendship??

I have devout christians, catholics and muslims as friends in real life, the same way that I have atheist friends. The key is to accept eachother instead of trying to convert eachother, and to discuss things in a constructive, respectful way.

Believe me, it can be done!

Also, if you are going to lose a friendship over a discussion on religion (or any other topic), I personally think that the friendship was not strong enough in the first place.

Many people have different beliefs and get along just fine. It's to do with a little thing called tolerance and respect.

See how sad my country is: Shops, not even malls open on Sundays AT ALL.

In December, during the pre-Christmas shopping craziness there is usually one (yes ONE) Sunday for the shops to open in my nearest town and even then there usually is a huuuuge annoying uproar manifested in letters to the editor in local newspapers by the oh so godly conservative citizens. No chance that this will change in the near future. Not until the majority of them will have died.

Their main argument is always the 'Holy Sunday' and how it should be dedicated to the family. Is it really such an outlandish idea to spend an all family-dedicated sunday shopping? :blink: Oh right, the poor shop assistants, who have to work that day :doh:

My suggestion would be to close hospitals and restaurants on Sundays, too. Give the poor doctors and nurses a break, please. And the waiters. And the fire brigade and the police.

I agree with that SO much! In these busy days when we hardly have any time to go and do menial things like shopping during the work week, leaving the house early in the morning and coming back late in the evening when the shops are already closed, the weekend is the only chance to shop.

The fact that due to some archaic concept Sundays are "non shop" days in laic countries infuriates me.

If a country is aconfessional, it should not let some religious custom rule them. This is just wrong.

It happens in Spain as well, shops only open one sunday a month.

And it's like the Ireland and Uk thing with pubs closing on the easter good friday: also based on religion.

Honestly, if someone (due to their beliefs) doesn't want to go to the shops on sunday, they can stay at home. Let the others go if they want to!

Another point here as well would be to note that in some countries the rest days are friday and saturday for the same religious reasons.

Isn't it a bit tricky when countries use certain religions as their "template" for this, but not others?

This is why i think that they should use NO religious elements at all.

I didn’t know it was like this a country so close to me!:blink:

Interesting.

I understand the discussion and I agree, but it’s a little tempting to look at it this way too:

If the country/culture etc are calling themselves religious it can be interpret as respectful to the beliefs to keep “the holy Sunday dedicated to the family.”

I know it’s easy for me to say, having all the freedom from religious impact we actually have. But I can’t help, on the other hand, seeing families spending a lot of free time together in shops, with wining kids crying for toys and candy, a bit sad!:naughty:

Not that I would want them to go to church, I would rather see them spending time out doors in the sun or the snow!:thumb_yello:

:roftl: Sure, I was talking extremes there, but the shop thing is really something that bothered me all my life. I mean for the classic BB family, mum, dad, two kids and a dog it's probably easy to find other ways to spend your Sundays. But if you have no kids, hence more freedom it would be nice to have the choice. More so if you don't get to go shopping during the week because of work etc...

When I was studying in another town I always went home for the weekends and drove back there on Sunday evening. On my way I naturally passed the supermarket I used to buy my groceries for the week and each time I went by I thought: Oh my, how great would it be if I could just go now and get it done 'on the way' ... :naughty:

I truly believe that believing in a god is a matter of necessity. Some people need to, in order to be happy and fulfilled and find meaning in life, and more importantly, in death.

Other people (me being one of them) don't feel this need. I appreciate life for what it is, and I am being totally honest and serious in saying that it doesn't bother me one little bit that when I die, I die.

Sure it is a nice concept (I think) that when I die I can continue to live in some "form", and if it did happen when the day comes I guess that it would be a nice surprise, but I honestly don't NEED this in order to enjoy life and strive to be a good person.

I believe in people, in the beauty and wonder of nature, in animals, in friendship, in love....I believe in so many things that make me happy to be living, and that make me enjoy this world, so that I just do not feel the need for more when it comes to an end.

Honestly, you find it shocking that some of us don't believe in a god, but I personally find the opposite.

To me, it does make more sense not to believe in something that cannot be seen or proven, than not to believe in something that doesn't seem to be there.

And I am saying this with all respect, just as a response to your post :wink2:.

I disagree- Any topic can be potentially "dangerous" if people behave badly and become agressive or disrespectful, and if this happens, it should be dealt with on a case per case basis.

It would make no sense to say "there is a ban on discussing this and this other topic here" just for the fear that it will lead to issues. To me, treating religion like such a "delicate" and unspeakable thing is one of the reasons why so many problems often surround religious arguments: people are not used to discussing it in a respectful way, and it ends badly.

We should all just use common sense when talking about these things, and that is enough. Worse arguments have started when discussing stupid things like Mika's hair anyway :roftl:.

I have devout christians, catholics and muslims as friends in real life, the same way that I have atheist friends. The key is to accept eachother instead of trying to convert eachother, and to discuss things in a constructive, respectful way.

Also, if you are going to lose a friendship over a discussion on religion (or any other topic), I personally think that the friendship was not strong enough in the first place.

Many people have different beliefs and get along just fine. It's to do with a little thing called tolerance and respect.

I agree with that SO much! In these busy days when we hardly have any time to go and do menial things like shopping during the work week, leaving the house early in the morning and coming back late in the evening when the shops are already closed, the weekend is the only chance to shop.

The fact that due to some archaic concept Sundays are "non shop" days in laic countries infuriates me.

If a country is aconfessional, it should not let some religious custom rule them. This is just wrong.

It happens in Spain as well, shops only open one sunday a month.

And it's like the Ireland and Uk thing with pubs closing on the easter good friday: also based on religion.

Honestly, if someone (due to their beliefs) doesn't want to go to the shops on sunday, they can stay at home. Let the others go if they want to!

Another point here as well would be to note that in some countries the rest days are friday and saturday for the same religious reasons.

Isn't it a bit tricky when countries use certain religions as their "template" for this, but not others?

This is why i think that they should use NO religious elements at all.

This is what I believe in too!:thumb_yello:

:roftl: Sure, I was talking extremes there, but the shop thing is really something that bothered me all my life. I mean for the classic BB family, mum, dad, two kids and a dog it's probably easy to find other ways to spend your Sundays. But if you have no kids, hence more freedom it would be nice to have the choice. More so if you don't get to go shopping during the week because of work etc...

When I was studying in another town I always went home for the weekends and drove back there on Sunday evening. On my way I naturally passed the supermarket I used to buy my groceries for the week and each time I went by I thought: Oh my, how great would it be if I could just go now and get it done 'on the way' ... :naughty:

Well, exactly! Hence why it makes no sense; it would just make life easier for everyone.

And even in your example of the family, they are probably roo busy during the week to go shopping as well...

Shopping is not a passtime, it's a necessity. We need food to live :roftl: or else we'll be finding out if there is an afterlife a bit too damn early, haha!

This is what I believe in too!:thumb_yello:

Cool!

And you even have a cute cow in your avie :wub2:

Well, exactly! Hence why it makes no sense; it would just make life easier for everyone.

And even in your example of the family, they are probably roo busy during the week to go shopping as well...

Shopping is not a passtime, it's a necessity. We need food to live :roftl: or else we'll be finding out if there is an afterlife a bit too damn early, haha!

Cool!

I love cows!!!!!:mf_lustslow:

I love cows!!!!!:mf_lustslow:

So do I, I just love their eyes, and noses....especially the highland cows....sooo cute!!

Holly I think this is the best that could happen to you.... to discover this...different countries= different cultures!:wink2:

Religious upbringing is very much depending on what your family and closest envirement are teaching you.

I think it's a beautiful thing that we have so much variance in this and still are able to have a good time together.

And not to mention learning how things work in other cutures than our own!:thumb_yello:

Forgot to quote this earlier, I had too much to say :roftl:.

Yes, I agree Sienna. It is great having the chance to see other cultures and opinions, because at the end of the day it is very true that one's religion is determined by where they were born.

All these devout christians in the US for example: if they had been born in Pakistan instead, they'd be devout Muslims.

That is just the way it is.

Very well phrased as usual, thanks Sariflor!:thumb_yello:

I had to take a moment and take a deep breath when I read it, it’s perhaps a little silly but thoughts like this are what was imprinted by my parents and my closest environment when I was growing up.

I didn’t know then how unique it actually was seen in a bigger perspective but I do now!

I’m clearly aware that growing up in a open-minded environment like that made it easy for me to have my thoughts about believes and a possible god and saying no to confirmation and just about everything which have to do with religion.

I didn’t have to fight or take a stand against anything, but we did have intense discussions sometimes!

Which I appreciate today because I learned so much from them.

Yes of course the shops should be open on Sundays!:thumb_yello:

Why not?

My family and I wouldn’t have survived:naughty: if it wasn’t for a food store close (well not very close) to our summerhouse which is open everyday to 8.00 pm.

We were lying in the sun all day and didn’t even keep track on what day of the week we were on and all of a sudden discovered that we were out of food!:doh:

Toronto went through the trauma of dealing with issues surrounding Sunday shopping and opening shops on holidays fairly recently (perhaps in the last 10 years). The whole thing was ridiculous and fortunately I can shop on Sundays now! I believe for the most part shops are closed on holidays but the mall in my area is open because it's designated a tourist destination so it is exempt.

Well, you were asking about church taxes in Italy and they´re the same as in Spain. Read this

A church tax of sorts is also collected in Italy and Spain, though in both nations it takes the form of an optional checkoff. Spaniards (with Roman Catholics estimated to be 99 percent of a population of 39.2 million) can designate approximately 0.5 percent of their taxes to go either to the church or to government programs for the needy. Less than half of Spanish taxpayers opt for the church. In Italy taxpayers can designate 0.8 percent of their taxes to go to the church or to government programs, and there almost 89 percent choose the church.

As you can see, you have the right to choose ;)

I´m agnostic btw :bleh: I was baptised christened and i made the communion but it wasn´t me who chose that. When i could choose, i chose "quit" :bleh:

:tears:

Mommy!!

Did someone call me? :naughty:

What's been happening here? :blink:

dcdeb

I found this convo too funny for words :roftl:

Cool!

Uh uh that aint this simple! In belgium, it was suggested to let bosses decide if they wanted to open theis shops/supermakets on sundays.

Result? Strike of the workers :naughty:

Maybe you'd like - just like I do - to be able to shop on sundays, but it seems like people who'd have to serve you kinda disagree, the very same people who have kids to look after, unlike us, and don't want to have to go to work when they can be with their family.

It was therefore suggested that they could chose to work or not on sundays... but they claimed bosses would only keep the people ready to do so...

So yes, as boring as it can be for us, I do understand why shops remain closed on sundays (afternoons actually). And maybe we tend to forget that the catholic church proved useful 100 year ago when it stood up for the rights of the workers.

It was therefore suggested that they could chose to work or not on sundays... but they claimed bosses would only keep the people ready to do so...

They made the same argument here...but, tough. That's just the nature of the job. As someone pointed out doctors, nurses, firemen, petrol station attendants, waitresses, cooks, etc. - all these people have to work Sundays. Why are shop clerks entitled to some special exemption?

If spending evenings and weekends with your family is of paramount importance then get a 9-5 job.

Again it is SUPER hard to explain *and make it come out the way you want it to* ---------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess like Alexandra said -- politics and religion just cannot be discussed when there are SO many peope who beleive so many different things, and some feel STRONG convictons and other simply have none. I suppose it makes one look at others in a different light - which i too think is NOT fair at all. When you don't know, and such things are not discusse it seems there is unity...... when personal issues or beleifs are brought to light..... there is a sense of division. I for one...... MUCH prefer the feeling of Unity -- especially here in the MFC.

I don't think I am making sense to anyone but myself

This states to me WHY a lot of people can't or don't want to believe "in" gods religions etc. It seems to me religious views are extremes a lot of the time, and if there were non we would have nothing to argue and kill each other in the name of (oh dear what then...well I am sure we could easily find something else to kill each ohter in the name of).

Sorry but religions just annoy me, I don't try to convert anyone and find it offensive that they they try to convert me.

I WAS baptized as a child but it means NOTHING to me at all, I had no say so it has no hold on me. I chose NOT to have my children baptized and they are glad of this as they are young adults now and can choose what and IF they want to follow any religions themselves, I have given them freedom of choice :thumb_yello:

I chose NOT to marry in a church as it would have been hypocrytical, so boring old registry office for me in those days (thank god..ALL of them, lol that there are nicer places to wed now).

I have a very nice catholic friend, who tried her VERY best to convert my daughter to going over to the catholic faith, and I'll give her her dues, she did go to church with her a fair few times, but decided it wasn't for her and turned pagan, my friend was horrified and threatened to paint a cross on our door with holy water :blink: I said she could clean the whole door if she liked cos it needed it living on a main road like we do. (yes we are still friends btw, she has her strong beliefs and I dont).

I belive that GOD is good with an o missing, I believe the "stories " of the bible were there in the first place as a kind of guide on HOW to behave so that it benefits mankind, it was like advice really IMO and it just got twisted out of all proportions over the centuries and I find it quite repugnant what has been done to it and how it has been changed and used in a very unsavoury way for some people to gain power over others.

I can't stand the "our god is better than your god" mentality that so many religions whole heartedly believe too, enough to kill another human being over. It can't be right to do that, if god does exist he would be horrified at what soome people have done to his good intentions don't you think.

So basically, it had good intentions but man ruined it by his greed for power.

I DONT believe the bible and god exists as some are led to believe, but I LIKE to believe there MAY be something more, but we have no idea what and may never know.

We should ALL treat each other with respect and "do unto others" that is all, if we all did that, then ther would be no need for so many crutches or wars.

(hope no one gets offended, I'm not good at explaining myself, so normally I try not to say anything). So I don't want a huuuge row over my opinions please as I have not attacked anyone elses opinions.

I'm a hypocrite. I'm supposed to be Christian. I grew up in a Catholic household, then a Protestant one. Went to Catholic school, attended church almost every Sunday all my life until just recently. Baptised both my kids, so they could be allowed into Catholic school, just so I could have the option, just in case.

I've questioned my faith so many times and the answers I get back almost seem like a cop out - being told that I will never fully understand what God's plan is because our human thinking is limited (like explaining what 'love' is to an insect). But that the key is faith. Have also been repeatedly told that if a person is sincerely trying to seek 'truth', then he/she would read the Bible (which was written by people with a bias) -although they claim was written with God's guidance. But how do we know that? And why do different sects of Christianity interpret it differently? I've been told to pray to ask for guidance to get the correct interpretation - but what if everyone else is praying for the same thing and still interpreting a different version?

So then the next cop-out answer might be: A personal relationship with God is more important than any man-made church and it's rules. But it brings me back to why I would have a personal relationship with God, when I'm not sure who? what? and why?

To be scared to go to hell is not a good reason to believe in someone or something.

I suppose I could really post this in the "Any Christians" thread too. 'Coz I'm really neither "here" nor "there".:bleh:

Perhaps at this time in my life, I might indentify myself to be Agnostic.

Again it is SUPER hard to explain *and make it come out the way you want it to* ---------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess like Alexandra said -- politics and religion just cannot be discussed when there are SO many peope who beleive so many different things, and some feel STRONG convictons and other simply have none. I suppose it makes one look at others in a different light - which i too think is NOT fair at all. When you don't know, and such things are not discusse it seems there is unity...... when personal issues or beleifs are brought to light..... there is a sense of division. I for one...... MUCH prefer the feeling of Unity -- especially here in the MFC.

I don't think I am making sense to anyone but myself

de profundis

This states to me WHY a lot of people can't or don't want to believe "in" gods religions etc. It seems to me religious views are extremes a lot of the time, and if there were non we would have nothing to argue and kill each other in the name of (oh dear what then...well I am sure we could easily find something else to kill each ohter in the name of).

Sorry but religions just annoy me, I don't try to convert anyone and find it offensive that they they try to convert me.

I WAS baptized as a child but it means NOTHING to me at all, I had no say so it has no hold on me. I chose NOT to have my children baptized and they are glad of this as they are young adults now and can choose what and IF they want to follow any religions themselves, I have given them freedom of choice :thumb_yello:

I chose NOT to marry in a church as it would have been hypocrytical, so boring old registry office for me in those days (thank god..ALL of them, lol that there are nicer places to wed now).

I have a very nice catholic friend, who tried her VERY best to convert my daughter to going over to the catholic faith, and I'll give her her dues, she did go to church with her a fair few times, but decided it wasn't for her and turned pagan, my friend was horrified and threatened to paint a cross on our door with holy water :blink: I said she could clean the whole door if she liked cos it needed it living on a main road like we do. (yes we are still friends btw, she has her strong beliefs and I dont).

I belive that GOD is good with an o missing, I believe the "stories " of the bible were there in the first place as a kind of guide on HOW to behave so that it benefits mankind, it was like advice really IMO and it just got twisted out of all proportions over the centuries and I find it quite repugnant what has been done to it and how it has been changed and used in a very unsavoury way for some people to gain power over others.

I can't stand the "our god is better than your god" mentality that so many religions whole heartedly believe too, enough to kill another human being over. It can't be right to do that, if god does exist he would be horrified at what soome people have done to his good intentions don't you think.

So basically, it had good intentions but man ruined it by his greed for power.

I DONT believe the bible and god exists as some are led to believe, but I LIKE to believe there MAY be something more, but we have no idea what and may never know.

We should ALL treat each other with respect and "do unto others" that is all, if we all did that, then ther would be no need for so many crutches or wars.

(hope no one gets offended, I'm not good at explaining myself, so normally I try not to say anything). So I don't want a huuuge row over my opinions please as I have not attacked anyone elses opinions.

I really agree with your views Sparkly, the only difference being that I don't actually believe that there may be a god, higher being or similar. I am quite sure that there is none, and that works just fine for me anyway.

But yes, good post, it echoes a lot of my experience and feelings about the whole religion/religious friends issue.

On a different note, this is what I think a great book:

God is not great, by Christopher Hitchens:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_Is_Not_Great

I love it when sparkly gets serious! and I agree with all she says too.

I'm not reglious although I was baptised and tried church when I was younger. Maybe I will try it again sometime, I don't know.

Meanwhile, I just try to be good, like sparkly says. It doesn't always work, mind you. :naughty:

I love it when sparkly gets serious! and I agree with all she says too.

I'm not reglious although I was baptised and tried church when I was younger. Maybe I will try it again sometime, I don't know.

Meanwhile, I just try to be good, like sparkly says. It doesn't always work, mind you. :naughty:

:naughty::naughty:Beware... Can you feel your evil side bubbling inside? (Sorry, have just read "Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde", so....:naughty:)

I really agree with your views Sparkly, the only difference being that I don't actually believe that there may be a god, higher being or similar. I am quite sure that there is none, and that works just fine for me anyway.

But yes, good post, it echoes a lot of my experience and feelings about the whole religion/religious friends issue.

On a different note, this is what I think a great book:

God is not great, by Christopher Hitchens:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_Is_Not_Great

Just read a bit of the wiki on this book, it says religions are contemptuous of women , I so agree with this, most religious books are written by men, and have the aim of keeping people in their place, managing them and their expectations.

It's how most countries, Kings and clergymen controlled the population IMO.