Any atheists ?

Pam Travers

Yes, that's often the problem. I suppose you would have to decide for yourself. I have a friend that says she would believe if there was something outrageous enough, but how outrageous do things have to get before you say "Oh, it's just a crazy coincidence."?

I have seen what I consider proof, but some people will come up with the maddest explanations just to try to render my experiences pointless.

It is difficult to describe. I guess "feel" might be the wrong word, since feelings can be so easily discounted. I'm sure Hitler "felt" he was doing the right thing.

But instead of just sitting there, praying and asking for a sign and not getting any sort of answer back, I am now getting answers back. I'm getting signs.

As I stated above, these signs are very open to interpretation, but I choose to interpret them as God's communication with me.

*sigh* I'm starting to sound like every other religious fanatic you've ever heard, I'm sure, but it's very hard to put into words.:bleh: I just know that before, it was a one-way conversation and I was terribly unhappy, and now, it has somehow turned into a two-way exchange and I'm much better, emotionally.

Ohh, okay, I get it. So coincidences, basically. You could shrug them off as coincidences, or you could think; this is a sign from God.

It's all about faith really. If you don't have the faith that anything that happens is actually God then you're not going to see them.

Yeah I get it. :original: Do I? :naughty:

Neither could I, for a long time, but I had someone help me through it by making it interesting.

"And here is where Judas sells Jesus out for a few bucks. Just totally betrays him! See? It's like a soap opera!":naughty:

:lmfao: :lmfao:!!

Wtf, why am I still on here? How did it get to be an hour later than when I said "Crap, I have to go!"? :blink:

• Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a question to pose...not trying to start fights, not trying to poke holes in your stance, just trying to really understand where you're coming from.

A lot of you mentioned that you'd rather believe in what has been proven, what you know, what you feel, than some obscure being who hasn't bothered to give any trace of his/her/it's existence.

What would happen if you did see proof?:blink:

Hi Artsy

Thank you for your post.

What would I do if I saw proof? If it was scientifically verifiable, then I would believe it. If that meant I had to "do religion" in a particular way, then I would probably do it.

But

This is hypothetical. In real life, no such proof exists (to my satisfaction, at least) I've always taken the view that the many different forms of religious observation are, by definition, proof that none of them have got it right.

I am a sceptic by nature - I don't have an absolute faith in Science either - Scientists are often wrong, but when they get it right, good things happen - you only have to look at the medical advances of the 20th century for evidence that scientfic enquiry can work.

xx N

I think, though, that some of you don't quite understand all the opinions of religious individuals. Everyone has to figure out their own opinion when it comes to the creation of the world, and yes, there are a few who take religious texts at face value and just sort of ignore what's been scientifically proven, but do you really think we all believe that?

No I think most educated people do not support creationism whether they are religious or not. I think that's why the Coke/banana argument was summarily dismissed as "stupid". Aside from being born of ignorance, it has no relevance to a discussion about atheism or Christianity or a general belief in god. You can accept evolution without denouncing god.

I meant most of Mika's blogs, I believe. :mf_rosetinted:

:lmao:

lol

no wait UNLOL, i dont want to hear about that non blogist anymore, he can take back all of his mentos, im angry now.

i wonder in what the kid believes besides plastic

Haven't you heard? He's started blogging again. And apparently he believes in black magic!! :roftl:

No I think most educated people do not support creationism whether they are religious or not. I think that's why the Coke/banana argument was summarily dismissed as "stupid". Aside from being born of ignorance, it has no relevance to a discussion about atheism or Christianity or a general belief in god. You can accept evolution without denouncing god.

:lmao:

Haven't you heard? He's started blogging again. And apparently he believes in black magic!! :roftl:

Black magic woman! Vodoo chile!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=tPE7bOmdP9w

In praise of Black Magic and laydees! One for Andrew maybe, he likes creme brulee so I hear.

Hi

I, too, am an atheist. (A Christian-atheist) I was brought up as Methodist (protestant) and used those values as a basis for bringing up my own children. It's just the 'God' and the 'Jesus as the son of God' parts that stretch my incredulity too far. And I really feel nothing when involved with church or worship activities.

So I am quite happy to call the force/power/magic or creation of the universe 'God' but have no concept of a personal diety that 'sees each tiny sparrow fall' and to whom I could pray; but I have no problem with anyone who does.

And Jesus as a very special man, yes fine.

And my views on the black arts and Mika's powers? :blink:

perhaps there should be a religion debates thread. i was politely told to F**k off when i questioned the atheists in this thread.

may i point out to the people who told me not to argue with science:

there is NO scientific proof supporting evolution. there is also NONE supporting the christian theory. so stop saying its science, coz it isnt.

there is NO scientific proof supporting evolution. there is also NONE supporting the christian theory. so stop saying its science, coz it isnt.

Unfortunately this is why you were dismissed in the thread. Honestly, statements like that are just too absurd to address seriously. It also has nothing to do with religion, particularly atheism, which is the topic here.

i never brought up the evolution thing. someone else did. i'm answering them. so please dont call me absurd.

the statement i made is not absurd either. science is something that can be studied. surely everyone knows that.

let me add here, in all seriousness, there is no proof for evolution. i've spent a long time looking for some. never found any. there is no proof for anything here.

its all theory. sorry, but even evolution. no proof. show me some proof, and i'll believe you, and i will look at it with a open mind.

please note here i have never said i am a christian. i have said i like debates.

i never brought up the evolution thing. someone else did. i'm answering them. so please dont call me absurd.

the statement i made is not absurd either. science is something that can be studied. surely everyone knows that.

You brought up evolution when you posted that link to the evolution of the Coca Cola can and asked people to read it.

Evolution is something that can be studied and just about everyone in this thread knows that which is why they are calling it science. There is overwhelming empirical evidence to support it.

You don't need to argue with me, take it up with the University of Toronto where I studied life sciences. When you've convinced them that evolution is not science then you can move on to every other reputable institute and life sciences professor and researcher in the world.

perhaps there should be a religion debates thread. i was politely told to F**k off when i questioned the atheists in this thread.

may i point out to the people who told me not to argue with science:

Unfortunately this is why you were dismissed in the thread. Honestly, statements like that are just too absurd to address seriously. It also has nothing to do with religion, particularly atheism, which is the topic here.

Firstly: it doesn't matter who brought it up; The response here is to what you said. Who mentioned it first is totally irrelevant.

Secondly: How can you even make such a statement? Christine is correct. It IS an absurd statement.

There is scientific proof for evolution, and the same cannot be said for creationism (what you call the christian theory I guess), which is just an idea. It doesn't even qualify as theory.

Obviously, the same applies to the so loved in the US at the moment "Intelligent Design".

You/Anyone is free to believe what they like, but you cannot make claims like the ones you just made, becuase you are just discrediting yourself and nobody will take you seriously.

obviously you're not going to take me seriously, and you're going to mock me whatever i say. i don't have infinate time on the computer to explain my veiws, and i never said i agreede 100% with what was postd in the link. i even stated i did not agree with all of it. theres no need for me to repeat myself, its falling on deaf ears. i will be praying for you to become more open minded and for you to be guided in every aspect of you're life and thinking.

thankyou for you're time.

If your position is that evolution has no scientific merit and that we should agree with you instead of the world's foremost authorities on the subject, then it's difficult to take that seriously.

But I'm not mocking you. Unless I've misunderstood what you said, you seem to believe that most people do not classify evolutionary theory as science and we should all know that. That's simply incorrect and I wanted to point that out.

You are free to classify evolution as something other than science, but it's not realistic to expect the rest of us to do the same. I'm sorry if that comes out dismissive and harsh. I didn't say anything when you first posted the link because, as I said, you are free to believe whatever you want. It's not my business.

But you said that you felt like you'd been told to f*ck off and I wanted to explain why people reacted the way they did.

MOST 'Human Beings' have HOPE for something.......

health - happiness - children's future *No matter WHAT religion they are or even if they are religionless*

--------- unless anyone wants to argue the fact that they are indeed NOT human beings after all :mf_rosetinted:

You don't need to argue with me, take it up with the University of Toronto where I studied life sciences. When you've convinced them that evolution is not science then you can move on to every other reputable institute and life sciences professor and researcher in the world.

:floor: :floor: :floor:

lmao @black magic, i just read a book where they were explaining that magic were for women only, but its very very long to xplain

whats the banana and coke stufff? :floor:

There is no piece of evidence that proves that the theory of evolution is an observable fact. However, there is plenty of evidence to support the theory as a sound theory worthy of further investigation. There is plenty of evidence to support it as an observably plausible explanation of how things have developed.

The difference between science and religion is the abscence of absolutes. Science recognizes the limitations of human observation and leaves room for theories to grow, develop, and change as more information is gathered. Religion states absolutes so that there is no choice but to fully accept or fully reject them.

So, my question for you is, "What do you believe that science is?"

Also, creationism is not a theory. It is a belief. It is not a theory because theories are based on observable fact. It is impossible to observe the creator of the universe creating something, so it is impossible for us to have a scientific theory about it. However, it is possible to believe in it, so it is a belief.

Science and religion are not mutually exclusive. They are simply different.

Thank you for that!:thumb_yello:

I disagree- Any topic can be potentially "dangerous" if people behave badly and become agressive or disrespectful, and if this happens, it should be dealt with on a case per case basis.

It would make no sense to say "there is a ban on discussing this and this other topic here" just for the fear that it will lead to issues. To me, treating religion like such a "delicate" and unspeakable thing is one of the reasons why so many problems often surround religious arguments: people are not used to discussing it in a respectful way, and it ends badly.

We should all just use common sense when talking about these things, and that is enough. Worse arguments have started when discussing stupid things like Mika's hair anyway :roftl:.

I feel the same way, however, everything you have stated probably will happen and that's what I'm afraid of...

It doesn't have to, but it most likely will.

Then again, I'm a pessimist:naughty:

EDIT:

P.S. I'm very surprised to see how many atheists there are on here. I'm not saying it's bad, but I find it quite surprising. That is all. Goodbye :naughty:

I feel the same way, however, everything you have stated probably will happen and that's what I'm afraid of...

It doesn't have to, but it most likely will.

Then again, I'm a pessimist:naughty:

EDIT:

P.S. I'm very surprised to see how many atheists there are on here. I'm not saying it's bad, but I find it quite surprising. That is all. Goodbye :naughty:

I feel special now looool:naughty:

EDIT:

That was my reaction too. SUPRISING who would have ever thunk it.