Who would you vote for/ Who did you vote for? *NOT JUST U.S CITIZENS  

118 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you vote for/ Who did you vote for? *NOT JUST U.S CITIZENS

• John McCain + Sarah Palin
    • Barack Obama + Joe Biden

a message from CodePink

An Obama victory is a victory for the peace movement. It sends a message to the political establishment that being against war is the winning position. War is SO Over. American voters have recognized the costs-lives lost, international cooperation thwarted, and tax dollars squandered-and chosen the candidate who promised to end the Iraq war and to use diplomacy first.

We should all take a moment-or a few days or even a week-to relish a job well done. We worked hard for this victory and should celebrate. But we can't stop now: an Obama administration will need our help to live up to its promises.

What do we want from an Obama Administration and a Democratic-controlled Congress? We want an end to the occupation of Iraq and reparations for its people. We don't want the troops from Iraq shipped straight to another losing war in Afghanistan. We want a negotiated settlement in Afghanistan. We want a diplomatic solution to the conflict with Iran. We want the restoration of our civil liberties and the protection of our environment. We want money to bail out homeowners who are in foreclosure because of predatory lenders. We want a NEW New Deal for America: jobs, housing, universal health care, education, roads, public transportation….We want a government that puts the needs of people ahead of the profits of banks and corporations.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wednesday, November 5th, 2008

celebration3d.jpg

Friends,

Who among us is not at a loss for words? Tears pour out. Tears of joy. Tears of relief. A stunning, whopping landslide of hope in a time of deep despair.

In a nation that was founded on genocide and then built on the backs of slaves, it was an unexpected moment, shocking in its simplicity: Barack Obama, a good man, a black man, said he would bring change to Washington, and the majority of the country liked that idea. The racists were present throughout the campaign and in the voting booth. But they are no longer the majority, and we will see their flame of hate fizzle out in our lifetime.

There was another important "first" last night. Never before in our history has an avowed anti-war candidate been elected president during a time of war. I hope President-elect Obama remembers that as he considers expanding the war in Afghanistan. The faith we now have will be lost if he forgets the main issue on which he beat his fellow Dems in the primaries and then a great war hero in the general election: The people of America are tired of war. Sick and tired. And their voice was loud and clear yesterday.

It's been an inexcusable 44 years since a Democrat running for president has received even just 51% of the vote. That's because most Americans haven't really liked the Democrats. They see them as rarely having the guts to get the job done or stand up for the working people they say they support. Well, here's their chance. It has been handed to them, via the voting public, in the form of a man who is not a party hack, not a set-for-life Beltway bureaucrat. Will he now become one of them, or will he force them to be more like him? We pray for the latter.

But today we celebrate this triumph of decency over personal attack, of peace over war, of intelligence over a belief that Adam and Eve rode around on dinosaurs just 6,000 years ago. What will it be like to have a smart president? Science, banished for eight years, will return. Imagine supporting our country's greatest minds as they seek to cure illness, discover new forms of energy, and work to save the planet. I know, pinch me.

We may, just possibly, also see a time of refreshing openness, enlightenment and creativity. The arts and the artists will not be seen as the enemy. Perhaps art will be explored in order to discover the greater truths. When FDR was ushered in with his landslide in 1932, what followed was Frank Capra and Preston Sturgis, Woody Guthrie and John Steinbeck, Dorothea Lange and Orson Welles. All week long I have been inundated with media asking me, "gee, Mike, what will you do now that Bush is gone?" Are they kidding? What will it be like to work and create in an environment that nurtures and supports film and the arts, science and invention, and the freedom to be whatever you want to be? Watch a thousand flowers bloom! We've entered a new era, and if I could sum up our collective first thought of this new era, it is this: Anything Is Possible.

An African American has been elected President of the United States! Anything is possible! We can wrestle our economy out of the hands of the reckless rich and return it to the people. Anything is possible! Every citizen can be guaranteed health care. Anything is possible! We can stop melting the polar ice caps. Anything is possible! Those who have committed war crimes will be brought to justice. Anything is possible.

We really don't have much time. There is big work to do. But this is the week for all of us to revel in this great moment. Be humble about it. Do not treat the Republicans in your life the way they have treated you the past eight years. Show them the grace and goodness that Barack Obama exuded throughout the campaign. Though called every name in the book, he refused to lower himself to the gutter and sling the mud back. Can we follow his example? I know, it will be hard.

I want to thank everyone who gave of their time and resources to make this victory happen. It's been a long road, and huge damage has been done to this great country, not to mention to many of you who have lost your jobs, gone bankrupt from medical bills, or suffered through a loved one being shipped off to Iraq. We will now work to repair this damage, and it won't be easy.

But what a way to start! Barack Hussein Obama, the 44th President of the United States. Wow. Seriously, wow.

Yours,

Michael Moore

MichaelMoore.com

Edited by A. Clay

I

AM

HAPPY

HE

WON

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

good luck obama....first goal...stay ALIVE!:mf_rosetinted:

robi?

return to reality... to the true, sad, hard, real reality... :punk:

i remember to you that we live in italy :naughty:

and, unfortunately, there are not obamas here :blink:

What do we want from an Obama Administration and a Democratic-controlled Congress? We want an end to the occupation of Iraq and reparations for its people. We don't want the troops from Iraq shipped straight to another losing war in Afghanistan. We want a negotiated settlement in Afghanistan. We want a diplomatic solution to the conflict with Iran. We want the restoration of our civil liberties and the protection of our environment. We want money to bail out homeowners who are in foreclosure because of predatory lenders. We want a NEW New Deal for America: jobs, housing, universal health care, education, roads, public transportation….We want a government that puts the needs of people ahead of the profits of banks and corporations.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is that what you seriously want from Obama?

Because I'm afraid you won't have much of it.

An end of occupation in Iraq/Afghanistan? You cannot leave, don't you understand ? If you leave, it will be chaos. Like Soaring Simpson said you cannot simply jump into a country, alienate its people, and then leave when you realize things aren't going as well as planned. It's YOUR war, you started it. What do you want? The NATO and the Europeans having to replace US troops? That's what some want, obviously, but I'm not sure the rest of the world is gonna accept this. I'm a fervent Obama supporter but I do hope he thinks twice before retreating just as quickly and stupidly as Bush invaded because it would be just as bad. The world supported you once, but won't a second time.

a message from CodePink

An Obama victory is a victory for the peace movement. It sends a message to the political establishment that being against war is the winning position. War is SO Over. American voters have recognized the costs-lives lost, international cooperation thwarted, and tax dollars squandered-and chosen the candidate who promised to end the Iraq war and to use diplomacy first.

We should all take a moment-or a few days or even a week-to relish a job well done. We worked hard for this victory and should celebrate. But we can't stop now: an Obama administration will need our help to live up to its promises.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's very nice and idealistic but I'm sure he won't be able to change everything to that extent in just 4 years. I'm not gonna repeat what everyone said about getting the troops out of Iraq,but really,you can't just do that,because it would leave people staring to the sky and not knowing wtf happened and what to do next. That will take a lot of time,and it's because of the fact that the US decided to take the role of "World Organizer and Peacemaker" that Obama is left to deal with a huge amount of issues. He's probably gonna do the first steps ,but now that he was elected,it's not like Mesiah has come down to earth and with one miracle he will solve everything.

And about the banks...you see,the sad truth is,the Bank of America controls everything.You probably don't even begin to understand what power that institution has. So the possible measures taken won't be that radical

"We the people"!!! Nice concept...but very idealistic

well, to respond to a comment from someone 'in a belly button 'and someone 'in a fishtank', I was merely relaying the essence of the feeling of the atmosphere from someone who is HERE in the most excited city in the world.

A) I said it was a message Code Pink put out, not me

and

B) if you don't start out with a grand ideal, great things cannot possibly happen.

Please try thinking more positively, wherever you are living.

It can make a big difference.

I thought this was a thread to express political feelings,

and not start fights.

I'm leaving now.

P.S. I thought a moderator would have been more...moderate.

well, to respond to a comment from someone 'in a belly button 'and someone 'in a fishtank', I was merely relaying the essence of the feeling of the atmosphere from someone who is HERE in the most excited city in the world.

A) I said it was a message Code Pink put out, not me

and

B) if you don't start out with a grand ideal, great things cannot possibly happen.

Please try thinking more positively, wherever you are living.

It can make a big difference.

I thought this was a thread to express political feelings,

and not start fights.

I'm leaving now.

P.S. I thought a moderator would have been more...moderate.

LEONITA !!!!

I AM VERRRRRY HAPPY WITH THE RESULT !!!

:woot_jump:JC_Hi5.gif:woot_jump::punk:

I think it's pretty clear that our fishtank and bellybutton selves agree that Obama is the best possible solution,if not you can see my "Yay Obama" in bold and size 7 a few pages back.

If you start with a grand ideal of what you ask of your peresident you will surely be disappointed when he won't be able to bring world peace by the end of the 4 years.

And tbh,it's not a proven theory,every president gets elected because of a 'grand ideal' that,as you say is the key to getting anythibng done. What did Bush do again? He and his voters had great ideals too

I'm just saying,don't expect the bigest change in human history from Obama.He's human ,and he is limited,doesn't matter how much he wants to do

Realism is never bad

I think it's pretty clear that our fishtank and bellybutton selves agree that Obama is the best possible solution,if not you can see my "Yay Obama" in bold and size 7 a few pages back.

If you start with a grand ideal of what you ask of your peresident you will surely be disappointed when he won't be able to bring world peace by the end of the 4 years.

And tbh,it's not a proven theory,every president gets elected because of a 'grand ideal' that,as you say is the key to getting anythibng done. What did Bush do again? He and his voters had great ideals too

I'm just saying,don't expect the bigest change in human history from Obama.He's human ,and he is limited,doesn't matter how much he wants to do

Realism is never bad

but pessimism is .

I think the fact that an African-American man with liberal policies has been elected as the president of the USA is already a big step in itself. Not too long ago the concept of it would have been considered 'idealistic' and 'fanciful'. Realism is good but so is leaving the door open for the possibility of radical change.

There's no 'right'/'wrong' or 'best'/'worst' in matters of opinion which are subjective by nature.

I think the fact that an African-American man with liberal policies has been elected as the president of the USA is already a big step in itself. Not too long ago the concept of it would have been considered 'idealistic' and 'fanciful'. Realism is good but so is leaving the door open for the possibility of radical change.

There's no 'right'/'wrong' or 'best'/'worst' in matters of opinion which are subjective by nature.

... who has a Middle Eastern name, who's father is from Africa, and mother is white, and a childhood upbringing in Asia....

... who has a Middle Eastern name, who's father is from Africa, and mother is white, and a childhood upbringing in Asia....

That's right, alot of people are still ignorant of that. But all of his pictures basically (from his youth) are taken with his white family members who he was raised by. Hawaii, Chicago, Kenya etc... I think that makes him who he is. He is not soley representing African Americans. To me he represents the minority in general and progressivness. That's one of the things that attracted me to him...I felt like he could go to other countries, not embarass us and communicate well because he's been all over the world.

*sigh

I woke up this morning, and things had already changed.:wub2:

.....who faithfully followed the teachings of a man for 20 years that said, "Not God Bless America - God Damn America." ........ and had NO issues with the radical preacher UNTIL he ran for President. Nuff said.

Edited by HollyD

.....who faithfully follwed the teachings of a man for 20 years that said, "Not God Bless America - God Damn America." ........ and had NO issues with the radical preacher UNTIL he ran for President. Nuff said.

Firstly I love you:wink2:

but not enough said.

That preacher didn't start his teaching until Barack Obama stopped going to that church. Why are his beliefs Obama's beliefs?

He didn't follow anyone's teaching's but God's as far as he's concerned. Just because you go to a church doesn't mean you like your pastor. I know I don't.

and obama's name is Kenyan. He's not Muslim, and so what if he were?

There are no muslims in this country all of a sudden? and further more there shouldn't be?:boxed:

Like someone said in the other thread, it kind of make sense that religion shouldn't play a major role in politics, because not everyone has a religion. Part of being a Christian is being religiously tolerant:boxed: So why were people all jazzed up about the word "Muslim"???

I just don't get it.

but not enough said.

That preacher didn't start his teaching until Barack Obama stopped going to that church. Why are his beliefs Obama's beliefs?

He didn't follow anyone's teaching's but God's as far as he's concerned. Just because you go to a church doesn't mean you like your pastor. I know I don't.

There are no muslims in this country all of a sudden? and further more there shouldn't be?:boxed:

I love you too, Mel :huglove:

I know -- I am just being a bit paranoid .... believe me -- I am giving him the benefit of the doubt. I just hope he can hold to all the promises he made. AMERICA needed a change! THAT we can ALL agree on! :biggrin2:

but not enough said.

Now I'm confused. Who's mentioning muslims apart from you?

And I certainly thought Obama changed his church because of the press criticism