REPORTS/PICS/VIDS for MIKA LA Surprise Show 04-15-09

Blue Sky

Were there any MFCers who attended the concert that were not able to meet Mika afterwards? Ones that were not a part of the 10, I suppose you would say.

I was actually thinking about this the other day.. but instead I was wondering that there were 28 (?) on the list before the gig and only 15 got to the M&G, so did the other 15 or so attended the gig at the first place?

I have no idea. I listened to them once and I I liked them so little, I didn't wish to listen to them again... :boxed:

I tried. I think the sound quality surely affects it and the fact the arrangement was VERY VERY basic to me..

mind you, I have heard other songs in acoustic/studio version (..) and they sound ALL GREAT to me.. I dunno what to say.. these new songs melodies sound so repetitive and so flat IMO..

I'm crossing my fingers for that. I did love the songs presented in the new music clips and one of them was played at the gig too. perhaps it doesn't benefit of the acoustic version, perhaps in the video I have heard the only bit of it I like. I dunno, I can't tell. I need to digest my 1st impression and understand if it's my real opinion about it.

lena, I'm trying to get over this and will listen to them soon again. I wanna test my reactions for the 2nd time.

thx for all the kind words, everyone. :blush-anim-cl:

I wish to give you my opinion on this matter, just because this happens a lot with classical music, especially with new difficult music...it takes ages to like it! I actually love the new songs, but I think these songs are far more complex than I/we expected. They're different, too. The way they were performed doesn't help you to fully appreciate them...the live sound is never perfect and then there's the noise from the audience. It's also true that in some songs the instruments were too loud and you can't hear M's voice well.

I'm sure the songs will sound very different on the album, so I wouldn't worry too much if I were you. :wink2:

normally I find it hard, neiobi.. that's why I'm still hoping. :boxed:

and I have been left down by him before. let's hope he's winning me back again. :tears:

Ow:huglove:

Now, don't be sad darling... I'm sure there will be a song that you'll like in the EP or in the album... He'll surprise you, you'll see it!:wink2:

I'm crossing my fingers for that. I did love the songs presented in the new music clips and one of them was played at the gig too. perhaps it doesn't benefit of the acoustic version, perhaps in the video I have heard the only bit of it I like. I dunno, I can't tell. I need to digest my 1st impression and understand if it's my real opinion about it.

lena, I'm trying to get over this and will listen to them soon again. I wanna test my reactions for the 2nd time.

thx for all the kind words, everyone. :blush-anim-cl:

Yep, don't force yourself. Just have another listen when you feel like it!

Avoca, don't stress about the new songs. Can I tell you my experience? I've been obsessed about the claping song (Blame it on the girls) since the new music blog, and when I heard it on YT I was really disapointed, but then I realized it sounds really different than it will in the album.I've only listened to the rest of the songs a couple of times, because I don't want to spoil them. So don't worry:thumb_yello:

Another thing that I've been thinking lately is that we are putting to much expectations on this new album, the first one took us by surprise, now we are expecting things to be a certain way, that's simply impossible.I've decided that I'm going to try to relax and see were it goes. I hope it helps.

well said!

I think you're right - he took everyone by surprise at first but since then we've all formed certain expectations, so it's going to be strange if he comes out with something different. I do trust that we'll all be enthralled by him again when the album comes out :wink2:

Ow:huglove:

Now, don't be sad darling... I'm sure there will be a song that you'll like in the EP or in the album... He'll surprise you, you'll see it!:wink2:

definitely!

Yep, don't force yourself. Just have another listen when you feel like it!

well said!

I think you're right - he took everyone by surprise at first but since then we've all formed certain expectations, so it's going to be strange if he comes out with something different. I do trust that we'll all be enthralled by him again when the album comes out :wink2:

definitely!

Hi!

I noticed on your signature that you have a picture of Nick Carter and Hanson!? I love NICK!!!!!

and the BSB of course!!

I was actually thinking about this the other day.. but instead I was wondering that there were 28 (?) on the list before the gig and only 15 got to the M&G, so did the other 15 or so attended the gig at the first place?

I believe there were several of the people from the list who did not show up (or at least we didn't know they were there) :boxed:

We tried to find all the MFC'ers, and Allison did her best to give ALL the MFC'ers a chance to meet him. Unfortunately if they weren't around, she couldn't really chase down people she didn't know were there. I think they really put in an extreme effort to reach out to MFC in a huge way...

I believe there were several of the people from the list who did not show up (or at least we didn't know they were there) :boxed:

We tried to find all the MFC'ers, and Allison did her best to give ALL the MFC'ers a chance to meet him. Unfortunately if they weren't around, she couldn't really chase down people she didn't know were there. I think they really put in an extreme effort to reach out to MFC in a huge way...

That sounds very cool. Thanks for letting me know. :)

Edited by iadoremika

Yes it really shows from all your reports that everybody did their best to make it all well organized, MFC and Mika's mgmt :thumb_yello:

I wish to give you my opinion on this matter, just because this happens a lot with classical music, especially with new difficult music...it takes ages to like it! I actually love the new songs, but I think these songs are far more complex than I/we expected. They're different, too. The way they were performed doesn't help you to fully appreciate them...the live sound is never perfect and then there's the noise from the audience. It's also true that in some songs the instruments were too loud and you can't hear M's voice well.

I'm sure the songs will sound very different on the album, so I wouldn't worry too much if I were you. :wink2:

Let's not forget that Mika can perform as much or as little of the new music as he feels like. Maybe he's singing us the whole song, or maybe he's saving extra verses so we'll have to buy the album to know what the songs sound like fully. Even if this is not the case, there are many more instruments and such in the studio that he can use to make his music more interesting than he can in an acoustic show (after all, songs in such a setting are not meant to be heard more than once). And there's always the other songs we haven't heard yet!

:boing:

Were there any MFCers who attended the concert that were not able to meet Mika afterwards? Ones that were not a part of the 10, I suppose you would say.

Yeah, I was there, but I didn't get to meet him afterward.

But then again, I went ahead and left about 10 minutes after the show, since I didn't think we'd have to opportunity to meet him.

Since our names were on the list we didn't actually have to go to the meet and greet. I went, and apparently he left 10 minutes or so before I got there ):

I almost didn't get in the show, since the person (in management) who had the "list" had the wrong list (or rather, an incomplete list), and my name wasn't on it ): However, I got in as a plus one of Andrew's :)

For anyone interested, here's a link to my pictures and vids from the show.

S

{By the way, Does anyone know of a good place to host 100+ MB files? MediaFire won't take most of the songs, and putting it on YT is nearly pointless, seeing how they've been removing links like lightning lately.}

On another note, Avoca, the songs will likely grow on you.

You may not like them at first, but you'll come to love them in time. Keep in mind that this is his first performance in awhile, and it's some new material at that. All the songs were very simplified I'm sure, since MIKA just played chords or broken chords for each song. If it was too complicated, most people won't count it as an acoustic version.

The studio versions will all be quite different, I'm sure we'll love all the bells and whistles on those versions. ;D

{By the way, Does anyone know of a good place to host 100+ MB files? MediaFire won't take most of the songs, and putting it on YT is nearly pointless, seeing how they've been removing links like lightning lately.}

have you tried megaupload?

thanks for your pics :thumb_yello:

Anyone registered here could have got a ticket set aside for them, they may not have even picked it up....and if they did, maybe they were not reading the forum more than just how to register and how to get the ticket so they could get entry, so ultimately they may not have known anyone or anything about potential M&G.

Which is why in my mind it is a definite plus to be a regular contributing member of MFC, you add to the fan club with your presence, you make heaps of online friends (and RL friends at gigs) and occasionally something a little extra comes of that!!

Yeah, I was there, but I didn't get to meet him afterward.

But then again, I went ahead and left about 10 minutes after the show, since I didn't think we'd have to opportunity to meet him.

Since our names were on the list we didn't actually have to go to the meet and greet. I went, and apparently he left 10 minutes or so before I got there ):

I almost didn't get in the show, since the person (in management) who had the "list" had the wrong list (or rather, an incomplete list), and my name wasn't on it ): However, I got in as a plus one of Andrew's :)

I'm sorry for whatever confusion there was, Daisuke -- your name most

definitely WAS on the list that I sent, so I'm glad that you were at least

able to get in to the show.

Anyone registered here could have got a ticket set aside for them, they may not have even picked it up....and if they did, maybe they were not reading the forum more than just how to register and how to get the ticket so they could get entry, so ultimately they may not have known anyone or anything about potential M&G.

Which is why in my mind it is a definite plus to be a regular contributing member of MFC, you add to the fan club with your presence, you make heaps of online friends (and RL friends at gigs) and occasionally something a little extra comes of that!!

It was interesting to me to note that many of the new members who

signed up to the MFC just days before the secret gig didn't claim their

MFC wristbands.

We don't know if that means they didn't see the MFCers at the park on

Tuesday night and stood in line, or what... but we do realize that next

time (if there is a next time!) we need to have a sign or something and

make sure that anyone who WANTS to be a part of the MFC group

can be a part of the group! :thumb_yello:

Deb..that's a great idea and one that I'll be happy to run with at the shows that I'll be at. :thumb_yello:

We don't know if that means they didn't see the MFCers at the park on

Tuesday night and stood in line, or what... but we do realize that next

time (if there is a next time!) we need to have a sign or something and

make sure that anyone who WANTS to be a part of the MFC group

can be a part of the group! :thumb_yello:

For anyone interested, here's a link to my pictures and vids from the show.

Thanks for the pictures!

This is the one that I thought might be Dita Von Teese:

669d3233405ef8109c17d8a457b502204g.jpg

I think it looks a lot like her... no?

1207131601300x300.jpg

Edited by zoots14

didn't you guys have a sign that read MFC? or did i just dream that? :blink:

Zoots made the sign the next day. We didn't have it in the park.

I was asking Mana earlier if we were brainwashed by Da Stare or are these songs really that good. I can't believe anyone who heard them live didn't think they were brilliant.

I have no idea how I would feel if I only had the videos to go on since my experience is so different. But judging from the studio video clips on how the music is being mixed and how great the songs are live I can't imagine any Mika fan will be disappointed with the outcome.

It took me a long time to warm up to LICM but I think it will be love at first listen for many of the tracks on this album.

I wouldn't worry about the arrangements. It is supposed to be stripped down from the album and they threw this show together very quickly. We thought they were doing soundcheck before the gig but they were actually rehearsing so I expect the live sound to develop as well and you'll probably hear something different by the time the actual tour rolls around.

didn't you guys have a sign that read MFC? or did i just dream that? :blink:

Yep, I went to a little toy & games shop down the street and bought a flag (a bachelorette party flag :naughty:), taped paper over it and drew an MFC sign on it. We stuck it to the back of the first chair in the line. There's a picture of Sara with it.

Zoots made the sign the next day. We didn't have it in the park.

I was asking Mana earlier if we were brainwashed by Da Stare or are these songs really that good. I can't believe anyone who heard them live didn't think they were brilliant.

I have no idea how I would feel if I only had the videos to go on since my experience is so different. But judging from the studio video clips on how the music is being mixed and how great the songs are live I can't imagine any Mika fan will be disappointed with the outcome.

It took me a long time to warm up to LICM but I think it will be love at first listen for many of the tracks on this album.

I wouldn't worry about the arrangements. It is supposed to be stripped down from the album and they threw this show together very quickly. We thought they were doing soundcheck before the gig but they were actually rehearsing so I expect the live sound to develop as well and you'll probably hear something different by the time the actual tour rolls around.

Remember when I asked you "Wouldn't it suck if we ended up hating the songs?" and you said something like "You're seeing Mika live so you'll probably be too biased to notice."?

Well, biased or not, I love them! You were right :naughty:

Amen. I am in love with this album already. (Although I haven't warmed up to GGG yet, but keeping an open mind for the recorded version.)

I cannot get the other three out of my head. I was in the grocery store today and literally could not overcome the compulsion to sing Blue Eyes out loud. I don't think I've ever done that before... walking up & down the aisles singing to myself.