LADY JANE Lyrics discussion

Yeah! I was thinking about a mermaid. She does the opossite of what fairy tale's mermaids do: ordinary mermaids want to live like human beings outside the water, but she goes from ground to water instead.

A mermaid! Oh, that's an idea!

And yeah, well...who wants to follow the rules? :naughty:

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A mermaid! Oh, that's an idea!

And yeah, well...who wants to follow the rules? :naughty:

Exactly, that's what I thought. She has what lots of people (or mermaids :naughty:) would die for, but leaves it behind.

Edited by veroMica

He does eat fish I think (herring is fish, isn't it:blush-anim-cl:)

Found on twitter:

vacation over work has started, got half an hour to kill, gonna get myself some herring and an espresso

6:29 AM May 5th from web

Yes and wasn't he eating fried fish with his Goddaughter one day as well?

Omg that is amazing! this song is...genius! A dark fairytale...

I completely understand the lyrics...The story. I love the way he's done it.

Lady Jane the river saint

Special yes but lucky ain't

Lady Jane said she walked on water but she never had a man to show

(She was special because she could walk on water, but she never shown or told anyone)

then one day she found a fella she was eager just to let him know

Lady Jane she walked on water

Followed by her brand new lover who tumbled along, drownin' down below

(She found a fella she was eager to show her talent so she walked on the water and he followed, unable to walk on water so he fell in and 'drowned')

Lady Jane did not abort

for legends are never made that short

Now be sure when you listen to this

Here's another reason why you shouldn't eat fish

(She/the story didn't stop...Legends and stories aren't that short...)

Convinced he'd become a creature of the sea

She cut off her feet and jumped into the deep

and never stopped looking for her lover below

(She was convinced that he'd become a creature of the sea...a fish, so she cut of her feet..because of her talent, she couldn't go into the water because she could only walk on it [i think??] so she jumped in and never stopped looking for her lover who's now a fish)

Lady Jane the river fish

became the world's most wanted dish

and though no man would dare to catch

something whose beauty we could never match

(Lady Jane became a fish, too but nobody would dare to catch her as she was too beautiful [?])

but when some member from a far away state

said "I order you to get that fish's head on my plate!"

they killed little Lady Jane

(Then the emperor said well, kill her :naughty: so they did and she was his meal)

You're emperor of a distant land

The only man who didn't understand

that though you think you've got your prize

there's another fish that has escaped your eyes

Lady Jane, her lover's there

swimming through the ocean with a desperate stare

looking for Lady Jane

looking for Lady Jane

(Her lover, the fish [?] stayed searching through the ocean for his Lady Jane)

Me thinks >.<

That bit about cutting off her feet, because she could walk on water so she had to cut them off! I hadn't thought of that.

But I think there are a few religious metaphores in the song. Walking on water. Jesus could do that, but when his buddy Peter tried, he fell in because his faith wasn't strong enough. He didn't BELIEVE he could do it, so he couldn't do it. Neither could Jane's lover. Also, the fact that she's referred to as a "saint".

So I think the song is a lot to do with faith. When her lover drowned LJ had faith that he wasn't really dead, so she was willing to maim herself to follow him and leave behind her existance on land (as someone has said, it's The Little Mermaid in reverse) But The Little Mermaid had a sad ending, and this song does too. I wish it had ended happy, with Jane and her lover finding eachother and maybe with her giving birth to a little Nemo. But endings are not always happy. No happy ending... as someone once sang!

That bit about cutting off her feet, because she could walk on water so she had to cut them off! I hadn't thought of that.

But I think there are a few religious metaphores in the song. Walking on water. Jesus could do that, but when his buddy Peter tried, he fell in because his faith wasn't strong enough. He didn't BELIEVE he could do it, so he couldn't do it. Neither could Jane's lover. Also, the fact that she's referred to as a "saint".

So I think the song is a lot to do with faith. When her lover drowned LJ had faith that he wasn't really dead, so she was willing to maim herself to follow him and leave behind her existance on land (as someone has said, it's The Little Mermaid in reverse) But The Little Mermaid had a sad ending, and this song does too. I wish it had ended happy, with Jane and her lover finding eachother and maybe with her giving birth to a little Nemo. But endings are not always happy. No happy ending... as someone once sang!

:lmfao:

Giving birth to a little Nemo. That would surely be a wacky song... :naughty:

I really love hearing other people's interpretations of this! :wub2:

I know. But that's what Mika wanted, right? A dark, twisted fairytale :naughty:

The man IS a genius.

He certainly is.

:lmfao:

I really love hearing other people's interpretations of this! :wub2:

Me too!

(Still laughing about little Nemo :roftl:).

i love the falsetto in this song dunno why people have such a problem with it, i mean falsetto out off key than yes i do understand, but calling his ear torture well you may awell say "i don't like Mikas falsetto", personally it's Mikas falsetto that caught may attention when i first heard him not only that Mika has a very high falsetto which is something not many singer and it's quite a talent but some people seem to be missing that point, alot of artists never do/write falsetto song and why ??? it's because that can't do it, where as our Mika can and i personally think he's gonna always use it to he's advantage while he's still young.

I'm Loving the lyrics to this song, it's clearly a good example of the dark fairytale's he's always been talking about, the lyrics are so dark he even kills off Lady Jane awww how sad !!!

Edited by John Alan

Love love love this interpretation...but why did The Little Mermaid have a sad ending? She married the man she loved!...? :blink:

haha it's about me, no joke :biggrin2:

I love it when he says jaane :wub2::naughty:

I like you're interpretations, I can't wait for the interpretations in the book

I just love that Mikas lyrics always tell something, it's not only about "oh baby I love you"

there's always a story in it

Thanks, Blue Sky for the tip...I actually wanted to book my flights instead. now it seems I will have to spend my night in Excel sheets as I haven't worked much today...

Anyway, Lady Jane finished...

I prefer Lonely Alcoholic to this one, but I have to go now.

Will be back later .

:bye:

UPDATE

I am back.... Listened to Lady Jane once more. Love it - not matching Toy Boy but he will never be able to top that.

I am sooo glad that he now really DARES TO BE DIFFERENT.

WHAT's NEXT? OPERA? WOULD LOVE IT SO MUCH

An opera.... would be AMAZING!!

Rufus Wainwright just wrote an opera :wub2:

This song reminds me of Big Fish... if anyone has seen it :naughty:

Oh man, I love both this song and Lonely Alcoholic. I love this story... his story telling. I love how he sings about problems, about life experiences, stories. Its just so interesting, hearing what others problems are. When we're stuck in our problems, we just think "Crap, my life sucks". But listening to these, I realize that..well, problems are pretty awesome. Haha. But I say that now, when I'm not in one. Ahhh man, I love life.

What I like about Mika's songs and lyrics is that when you listen to it (I mean, REALLY listen to it), you imagine a world in your head. It's magic. Well, that's the way it works for me. I could totally have made an art work about this song for the EP :original:

i love this interpretation :thumb_yello: for me .. it makes sence :naughty:

such a sad song.. :tears: still wonderful :wub2:

and little Nemo.. :lmfao: lovely!

Thanks you BLUE SKY!, It is beautiful song. And I have understood its sense. Just now I have read through the translation. I can not come off the new Mikasounds.I listen and listen to 2 these songs. Mika is such sweet. I consider it is huge value He creates the similar songs, not being a banal pop-music. He can allow himself it. However, as always. Only now nobody will tell to Him that His songs are not in that format . And nobody will try to change Him

Love love love this interpretation...but why did The Little Mermaid have a sad ending? She married the man she loved!...? :blink:

No she didn't! In the Disney movie she did because they changed the story, but in the real Hans Christian Anderson tale, the prince chose someone else to marry and she ran back to the sea and, I think, killed herself.

Another thing I've remembered about my religious theory about Lady Jane, is that one of the symbals of Christianity is a fish!

I do think Mika is using his Christian roots for some of the basis of this song.

This is the way I feel the song. Not saying it‘s an interpretation, just the impression I got.

Lady Jane was special and could do more than the others. She believed in „higher“ things, maybe she was a dreamer, had a beautiful soul and ability to rise above the usual world (the river, I suppose). One day she finally found a man she loved and told him her dreams and desires, her thoughts and wishes. And so they walked through this world together. Sadly, the man wasn‘t that special, he couldn‘t believe in these things, lift himself higher then the simple, plane and usual world. So, he drew back (maybe left her because of moral/psychological pressure).

LJ started thinking that she should change, not make him change. So, she sacrificed for love, got rid of her distinctive feature and emerged into the grey, into the mainstream, started searching for him.

Before she was above which made her unreachable. Now, everyone starts to want her, but don’t have the power to catch her. I think they see that she is not for them, she’s looking for someone else. Then, one man gets her by force (maybe it’s a rich foreigner, who takes her with him).

The conclusion is that her lover still loves her, he’s searching for her.

What couth my attention is the way the plot changes from closed to an open one. River -> sea -> ocean. I think ocean might mean the whole world. It’s like living at home, then going further and further. Maybe her lover “drowned” into the sea, so she started looking there. What actually happened was that he got “flushed” into the ocean, so LJ couldn’t find him. Nor could he find her because of the enormous amount of water. Distance, that is.

I didn’t say everything I had in mind, too difficult to do that…

In simple words it gave me a feeling of a spirited (?) girl giving up to a cruel world for love (because the world cannot change) and being destroyed by it. It’s lack of understanding. The saddest part is that she could’ve been happy…

(Sorry for the length...)

I woke up with this song playing in my head. :naughty:

I love the part where he's singing "Lady Jane, she walked on water. Followed by her brand new lover...." and the piano and his voice get really intense like they're having so much fun and they're so in love. But when "...Who tumbled along...drownin down below..." comes along, it gets so quiet and slow when Lady Jane realized her lover's no longer following her. Love that part. It's like...a sinking feeling.

The very first time I heard this song, I thought Mika lost it. Talking about "Here's why you shouldn't eat fish! :insane:" and the quirkiness of some of the notes. But in truth, it's so good! You just need to allow yourself to really listen and imagine the whole thing in your head. Maybe it doesn't have a special meaning or whatever (I'm sure it does though...) and even if you can't figure it out, it's still a beautiful song. Regardless.

This is all in my oppinion of course. :naughty:

I agree with you Brit.. I thought it was such a silly song at first too, but then I started looking into it more and listening to it over and over and trying to understand and I realized how it's such a beautiful song with such an amazing story...

And Egle, all I can say about your interpretation is Wow! I think if you looked at the song in the way you're looking at it it'd make complete sense.. And the meanings you put to things are really adequate!:wub2:

An opera.... would be AMAZING!!

Rufus Wainwright just wrote an opera :wub2:

Do you have a link to it perhaps? I'd love to hear something from it...

Perhaps I will also try to find something later on on Youtube when I have some more time..