Thoughts on the Songs for Sorrow EP?

My thoughts?

First, the "regular" fans, the "meh" fans -the ones who bought the vast majority of LICM's five million copies sold - are not going to "get" a lot of this album. In fact, I think even a lot of MFCers aren't going to fully embrace it like we have LICM.

As for the wider audience, the unwashed masses want Grace Kelly and Love Today. They want hyperactive, happy, radio-friendly bubblegum pop. They do not want Lady Jane and Lonely Alcoholic.

For regular fans who loved Grace Kelly, this EP is going to be out of left field. Think about it. If you only casually followed Mika's career, you'd be shocked that the guy behind the LICM hits is now singing songs like these.

That said, I think this EP is Mika's sandbox. He got this idea for "Songs for Sorrow" and created these little stories. This isn't a commercial foray. Mika doesn't expect to sell five million copies of this EP. Especially when you consider songs like Lady Jane. That's not a pop song. That's never going to see radio play. The only one of these that has any chance whatsoever at radio play is Blue Eyes, and that even depends on what the actual EP version sounds like. In fact, against the other three, Blue Eyes is the one that doesn't quite fit.

Then you've got the whole artwork thing. That again is totally self-indulgent play; this whole project is Mika playing around and spraying his brilliant, quirky artistic mind all over in the form of four whimsical songs and some star-studded artwork. He has all these amazing, colourful, wacky ideas, and this album affords him a platform to share these ideas with his fans without the pressures associated from the commercial expectations for the actual second album.

This all might sound quite critical - I don't mean it to be. I think it's a great project, and I can't wait to get my hot little hands on a copy of that EP/book. I think it shows how multi-faceted Mika is, and that excites me.

As for the music, I'm on the I-think-it's-brilliant bandwagon. I'm quite biased, though, because I'm enamored with the tone of Mika's voice. Pretty much the only thing he could do to turn me off as a fan would be to mess with that tone; use a ton of synth distortion on the vocals, or switch to screaming death metal. :naughty:

I interpret Lady Jane to be a total fable, a "dark fairy tale" as Mika likes to say. Maybe it is a satire directed at some other work I'm not familiar with; I'm not sure. I can't wait to see the artwork that comes with it. I love the way it ebbs and flows, musically. The "I order you to get that fish's head on my plate" line is this crazy intense crescendo. Then "They killed little lady Jane" is so mellow.

Lonely Alcoholic is interesting. I see it as more social commentary than the whimsy of Toy Boy and Lady Jane. I love the fact that it's mostly in his lower register, which contrasts so well with the falsetto of Lady Jane. The last minute of this song is so damn rich. Amazing for something so raw and acoustic. And I can't help but wonder about this line: "Well they say that I am doing my duty to the world; well you could say that that is onerous, I'm just craving to be heard." I would go so far as to say that line epitomizes the whole purpose behind this EP.

As for Blue Eyes and Toy Boy - both were out of this world live. And given that I was there at the Roxy, I'll always have a serious soft spot for those specific performances. So as for the EP recordings, well, we'll see when it's released.

Two final things: I can't wait to hear these songs performed live. I so hope he does Lady Jane and Lonely Alcoholic on this tour. Seeing his expression while singing makes all the difference. And secondly, I can't wait to see the credits in the liner notes. I'm curious if any of these were solely his efforts, or who the co-writers were.

Oh - and seriously. We thought he should write a musical before? This just seals the deal!! :naughty:

I went to see him at Sadler's Wells last week - just incredible!!!! Since then i've basically not stopped listening to my EP and all of LICM and anything that he's sung on YouTube. The guy is just fascinating. His songs and his creativity hold no bounds. I agree with what you wrote about the Songs For Sorrow - it's nice to think he might have written something for a group of people he knows would definitely appreciate it. And the flip side of that being that if you consider songwriters are "craving to be heard" that we are a group of people who will listen. (In my case over and over!) He is however, in my opinion by no means mediocre! Unfortunately I know loads of people that don't get him or his music, and I cannot for the life of me understand why. And as for Toy Boy - what a song - i don't actually want to stop listening to it. The book - stunning. There isn't actually a song that i've heard Mika sing that I don't like. ;)

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to see him at Sadler's Wells last week - just incredible!!!! Since then i've basically not stopped listening to my EP and all of LICM and anything that he's sung on YouTube. The guy is just fascinating. His songs and his creativity hold no bounds. I agree with what you wrote about the Songs For Sorrow - it's nice to think he might have written something for a group of people he knows would definitely appreciate it. And the flip side of that being that if you consider songwriters are "craving to be heard" that we are a group of people who will listen. (In my case over and over!) He is however, in my opinion by no means mediocre! Unfortunately I know loads of people that don't get him or his music, and I cannot for the life of me understand why. And as for Toy Boy - what a song - i don't actually want to stop listening to it. The book - stunning. There isn't actually a song that i've heard Mika sing that I don't like. ;)

ur in my life.......... is it right 2 love mika so much? i saw him at sadlers wells 2. now i cant stop thinking about him the dvd is aways on or the ep. i really do love him is it right.......... im 25 and have a boyfriend and 4 kids. he thinks im mad but he dont mind. lol its like mika mika mika in my house. now the kids love him. he just 2 sexy. monday was the best day ever cant wait 2 c him again. xxx

Got my copy today. I find a lot of the artwork both shocking and fascinating.

Likewise!

The best thing for me when I opened it today was to find that all the spelling errors were fixed. That had me jumping round the room:aah:

But as usual with sandbag, my order was mixed up. So I didn't get the number I ordered, didn't get the codes, didn't get any points or whatever....so have to sort that out...

Still it was a great present to myself arriving on my birthday!!

Likewise!

The best thing for me when I opened it today was to find that all the spelling errors were fixed. That had me jumping round the room:aah:

But as usual with sandbag, my order was mixed up. So I didn't get the number I ordered, didn't get the codes, didn't get any points or whatever....so have to sort that out...

Still it was a great present to myself arriving on my birthday!!

you have mail on saturday & sunday? :blink:

Likewise!

maybe that explains the second delay?! :thumb_yello:

meh.. still don't have mine.. jeez i hate living in new zealand. :sneaky2:

As for the tracks...I love Toy Boy and Blue Eyes even more after hearing the studio versions, although I'm not really sure why. I find Lonely Alcoholic quite depressing, but strangely I can't get enough of it. lol

Lady Jane...well, the only thing I can find good in it is that my mother's name is Jane...lol, so yeah, I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel to like that one. :-/

As I'm sure anyone who's read this thread knows I'm not the biggest fan of Lady Jane. :teehee:

But as I suspected I absolutely loved it live. I haven't heard Mika sing like that since March 2007. It was magical and a dream come true to hear him sit quietly at the piano and just do his thing without all the jumping around.

Not that I don't love every second of the high energy shows, but it was great to have a nice mixture and hear that incredible voice in top form again. :thumb_yello:

Yay! i got the EP today:punk: so excited, and was really confused when I heard the studio version of Toy Boy....I think I prefer the acoustic version, but I might have to let it grow on me. The illustrations are incredible:mf_lustslow: My favorite is definitely Blue Eyes!

anyways, i'm sure everyone's heard hundreds of reports on the EP all praising it so in short, It's great!:naughty:

still didnt get mine yet :sad: anyone get it on the east coast yet??? and does fedex or however its shipped come on sunday or is that only mail lmfao:roftl:

I'm on the East coast and mine has arrived. I don't have it but it's there waiting for me until Monday. :sad:

you have mail on saturday & sunday? :blink:

It actually came on Sat afternoon, but I opened it this morning as part of my pressies. Japan is just super efficient, and has all kinds of deliveries on Sat & Sunday, but the actual post has a day off on Sundays.

Can you believe my highlight was the spelling is correct :doh: Pffft. And someone said the book smelled great, which indeed it does.:naughty:

But of course I love the songs too. I like all the twittering flutes and the Disney-esque-ness of Toy Boy.

still didnt get mine yet :sad: anyone get it on the east coast yet??? and does fedex or however its shipped come on sunday or is that only mail lmfao

I'm in DC and got mine yesterday -- it just came regular mail' date=' not UPS

or FedEx. Guess you'll have to hang on until Monday! :thumb_yello:

Can you believe my highlight was the spelling is correct Pffft. And someone said the book smelled great, which indeed it does.:naughty:

But of course I love the songs too. I like all the twittering flutes and the Disney-esque-ness of Toy Boy.

Well, it wasn't the highlight, but I did notice that the spelling was

(mostly) corrected. Yes, I still found a few typos. I'm so picky, I know,

but I AM a proofreader :wink2:

And funnily enough I thought the book smelled great, too -- I'm glad

to know I'm not the only one!

And even though I've said it before, I'll say it again, just to agree

with you, BS :naughty: -- I just think Toy Boy is brilliant!

It sure is Disneyesque, so maybe that's why, but the lyrics and the imagery... the whole song... :wub2:

I really do love the EP inside and out -- the book itself is so very

well done, has very high production values, as I knew it would, and the

music is great (yes, since I heard it live, Lady Jane is growing on

me... :blush-anim-cl: ) All in all, I think it was a worthwhile project. I can't

imagine how much it must have cost, though...

I really really love the songs on the EP! :wub2: It's different from what we're used to, but it's great! :wub2: also love the artwork. I can't stop listening to the EP :wub2:

I totally agree :thumb_yello: Loveeee it :wub2: