First single -We Are Golden!!

Mary

Can anyone give me a quick summary of what people think of the song.. I'm too lazy to read!:aah:

i'm sorry, but there is no short cut here! the only way to tell if people liked it or not is to read for yourself, otherwise, you'll be basing your opinion on someone else's point of you... and that is not the way to go ! :thumb_yello:

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm sorry, but there is no short cut here! the only way to tell if people liked it or not is to read for yourself, otherwise, you'll be basing your opinion on someone else's point of you... and that is not the way to go ! :thumb_yello:

Arghh... You're right...

:mf_rosetinted:

:naughty:

Do you still need of this?!

2009.07.20-BBC RADIO 1-JO Whiley Show-Mika interview.mp3

http://www.mediafire.com/?z2n4n2zytwo

:wink2:btw,you can use this awesome program for audio recording

http://www.no23.de/no23web/MP3_OGG_Aufnahme_Player_Download.aspx#cbReadtearms

01 - - BBC RADIO 2-KEN BRUCE SHOW-20.07.2009.mp3

http://www.mediafire.com/?qzjgezqnmmy

2009.07.20-rockfm.co.uk-MIKA is IN DEMAND .mp3

http://www.mediafire.com/?wqei2dmzjcx

I think sariflor uploaded it here: :thumb_yello:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=AFGOME08

thanks

thanks

thanks

:thumb_yello:

i hate the remix :aah:

love the rest :biggrin2:

You're soooo right! I hate when people critique without enough knowledge.... I mean to critizice you have to have some knowedge about the artist and what he has done!

I think it's safe to say that many of the people who are critiquing in this thread have more than enough knowledge about Mika and what he has done.

I love the song and as Gata said somewhere way back I could pick out individual faults but I don't care to because altogether it works and that's all that matters. Mika is shamelessly pop and that's what this is.

I love the jarring twists from falsetto and back, from shout to whisper. There is a real authenticity to this song where it doesn't sound like a rip-off of a particular '80s song, but an actual original '80s song. And yeah it is vaguely reminiscent of a TV theme song in spots but nothing written for television is of this calibre. This is a #1 pop song.

A few people have said that it is lacking emotion and perhaps it is a cultural/age thing but in my world this is one of the "highest" Mika songs by far. It reminds me of summer and driving around and dancing and friends. I can't even describe it except to say that it mutes everything else and I don't even want to listen to Songs for Sorrow and LICM right now.

I crave novelty and it's sad that it seems there is really nothing left to be invented in music these days but I'm glad that Mika can at least come up with solid tracks different from anything else that he's done before.

Really I don't want to hear Grace Kelly v2.0. I have been waiting 2 years for something new and here it is.

I think it's safe to say that many of the people who are critiquing in this thread have more than enough knowledge about Mika and what he has done.

I love the song and as Gata said somewhere way back I could pick out individual faults but I don't care to because altogether it works and that's all that matters. Mika is shamelessly pop and that's what this is.

I love the jarring twists from falsetto and back, from shout to whisper. There is a real authenticity to this song where it doesn't sound like a rip-off of a particular '80s song, but an actual original '80s song. And yeah it is vaguely reminiscent of a TV theme song in spots but nothing written for television is of this calibre. This is a #1 pop song.

A few people have said that it is lacking emotion and perhaps it is a cultural/age thing but in my world this is one of the "highest" Mika songs by far. It reminds me of summer and driving around and dancing and friends. I can't even describe it except to say that it mutes everything else and I don't even want to listen to Songs for Sorrow and LICM right now.

I crave novelty and it's sad that it seems there is really nothing left to be invented in music these days but I'm glad that Mika can at least come up with solid tracks different from anything else that he's done before.

Really I don't want to hear Grace Kelly v2.0. I have been waiting 2 years for something new and here it is.

Amen to that!

Totally agree:thumb_yello:

:shocked: that is so well written... that's exactly how i feel!

I love how I can hear all the old songs from the 80s actually, yet this is STILL completely original. It makes me want to dance round the bedroom...bit past doing it in my undies:blush-anim-cl: And I always like the dark lyrics set to the happy tune.

And the contrast on Mikasounds when it goes from WAG to one of the EP songs is more than I can bear and I have to click back on WAG.

I am still tripping on the adrenaline rush from yesterday, cannot get my RL back together AT ALL. :fangurl:

Very well stated. I agree completely with you.:thumb_yello:

I love the jarring twists from falsetto and back, from shout to whisper.

It reminds me of summer and driving around and dancing and friends.

I agree with you.

And, yes, that's an excellent way to describe it.

-------------------------------------------

I told my mom that Mika's new single was released today, and that it's on Perez Hilton.

So she, right away, opened it up and her first reaction, without even playing the song was, "Oooh I like that picture! He looks very nice...I wonder what kind of watch he's wearing". :aah:

But when she listened to it she said, "you can tell this is Mika" (when he hit the high notes).

Which, coming from her, is a good thing because she likes Mika. :naughty::thumb_yello:

You've certainly nailed my feelings too, Christine. I don't know what I

was expecting, but I wasn't expecting THIS, and... I'm so glad it

caught me off-guard! How boring if it had been another Grace Kelly!

This is what I love most about Mika -- he doesn't sound like everything

else on the radio. And it's a departure of sorts

for him as well -- while at the same time still being very much

something you can believe he would do.

I definitely feel the spirit of this song --

it immediately took me back to how I felt when I

was 16-17, in a small town surrounded by a lot of small minds and I

wanted to break out. We are not what you think we are, we are golden,

we are golden... Absolutely!

And I don't see it as a sell-out in the least. I mean,

please -- how could you get any more commercial than Love Today,

which was actually used in a number of advertisements? :naughty:

I think We Are Golden is fabulous, but not in the same way that

I adore Blame it on the Girls or

Blue Eyes -- it's a completely different type of song and conjures up

completely different emotions. Still I am impressed with it and

find it to be fresh and appealing, and, as you said, authentic. :thumb_yello:

I think it sounds '80s song and I love it. My first thought about the clip we heard the other day was that they used to make music like that and I really like that '80s sound. Right now I'm so in love with Songs for Sorrow songs that WAG feel very new and different, but I woke up this morning singing WAG so I'm quite confused at the moment :naughty:

I am still tripping on the adrenaline rush from yesterday, cannot get my RL back together AT ALL. :fangurl:

I feel the same. I almost couldn't sleep last night, I was too excited about everything. In my age :shocked:

:roftl:

Seriously, WAG is a good pop song. It's catchy, the melody gets stuck in your head. Of course it ain't his best song ever, and yeah it sounds like 80s rock, but i'm surprised in a very positive way (for a change). In fact, I dare say it came as a relief after the EP, for me at least.:aah:

I like how people disagree on everything he does, isn't that refreshing? :wink2:

All the more so as in the long run we're all going to :wub2::fangurl::swoon: ... :wink2:

Cheers,

Id3

Don't know if it has already been posted here:

090720100033894590.jpg

090720100142267699.jpg

090720100225670710.jpg

090720100330476108.jpg

090720100256755552.jpg

Link: http://www.contactmusic.com/photos.nsf/main/mika_2512504 :wink2:

Brilliant pics :thumb_yello: .

I love the 'sorry I couldn't find my shoulder bag so I stole an old one from my granny' touch :wub2: .

And... don't laugh but his thighs seem to be less painfully skinny ; all the junk food has probably jumped onto them :biggrin2: .

His hair though :rolleyes: ! Sooner or later the guys's got to accept the fact that it's thinning and wear it short. Fortuné looks silly with longish hair, he looked yummy in NYC :drool: .

Cheers,

Id3

I see I've missed tons of interviews and everyone's opinion on the new song! :teehee: I listened to Radio 2 yesterday and heard We Are Golden being played for the first time on the radio... :wub2: and almost got late to work because Mika played Blame It On The Girls! :roftl: I love the 80's vibe the single has. I don't think it sounds any other song in particular. Must listen again! :biggrin2:

Wow! Some of you actually think Mika Sold out with this - according to you - "audience friendly/ radio friendly," Mika has compromised, feel cheated about Mika abandoning us, - WTF??

Are you Nuts?????

I wouldn't expect everyone to like/love We Are Golden - But - Listen to yourselves - You are Not talking about the Mika that I & Millions of fans have come to like!

Did you listen to the lyrics??

I happen to Love "We Are Golden" - I actually usually respect others for their variable viewpoints - but - that isn't what irks me about your critique.

Listen to We Are Golden a few more times.

Listen to the lyrics.

Then return & get your heads out of your arses & actually critique it with some intelligence & Knowledge remembering who the Artist is!!

I am sure I will get my Butt Kicked here for my view on the few of you who think Mika sold out - But - You Pi--ed me off!!

I Love We Are Golden & my Congrats to Mika!!

I can't wait for the Whole Album in September!!

I have just got my head out of my arse and it hurt a bit :shocked: ... I still have a little hatah yoga training to do :naughty: ...

I am the last person here to kick your butt for speaking your mind and not being pc, I love that :wink2: .

But 'sold out' :confused: ?

I wish people would stop forgetting that Sire is a shrewd businessman as well as a hugely talented artist. You can be both, you don't have to starve to be talented, and he IS both, good for him :thumb_yello: .

And good for us too because everytime he writes and records and performs an audience/radio/chart friendly song he does it with such genius that it takes our breath away, whether it's one of our faves or not.

Cheers,

Id3

i did not want another GK! :naughty:

but i wanted to feel the same shock i felt when i heard GK the first time...sorry, not this time.

and from some opinions expressed here, i'm still more convinced that this song is made to break the north american market!:biggrin2:

now i'll sit peacefully and wait for the second single, probably closer to my feelings (pls. let it be RAIN!):teehee:

finally, i'm doing my loyal fan job...listening to it in a loop striving hard to make myself like it. but it keeps on leaving me totally emotionless and pretty irritated.

but lady jane's sweet arms are always there to welcome me for a rest....:wub2:

Robi ... get it in the car , windows down with that amazing Italian sun beating down :wub2: and play it loud .. sounds better :wink2:

hahahahahahahhahahaha true!!

probably it works better than at a desk full of papers in a office room!:roftl:

Wow! Some of you actually think Mika Sold out with this - according to you - "audience friendly/ radio friendly," Mika has compromised, feel cheated about Mika abandoning us, - WTF??

Are you Nuts?????

:blink:

Well, I don't want to quote the rest of your post, because you would have probably regretted using the words you did... :wink2:

I'd recommend You read my first post again. I was NOT referring to a song being radio-friendly as something negative that I despise. Absolutely not. I fully understand that it is the music business and Lady Jane would have no chance as a stong single and neither would Over My Shoulder.

If you read carefully, or what I meant is to describe how I went through different stages of forming an opinion about the song (from Friday onwards) that changed completely when I first heard the full version.

And what I stated was that I do understand some people's concern and 'disappointment'. It does not mean that I am disappointed by the song itself. Not the least.

And excuse me, I am 30+ and I do not really believe that anyone at my age or above can fully identify with this song. In other Mika songs age does not matter because most of them are stories and written from a particular point of view. This one is a teenage anthem and it was written to sound like a teenage anthem. And I congratulate Mika on that without fooling myself into thinking it will ever become my favourite track (though I am likely to sing along it in a car.)

Edited by suzie

hahahahahahahhahahaha true!!

probably it works better than at a desk full of papers in a office room!:roftl:

Serious .. it needs that vibe going on with it , Summer and sun , windows down .. blasting it:groovy:

Going to be interesting live .. he needs two choirs :naughty: