The Official "The Boy Who Knew Too Much ERA" Charts & Sales around the world Thread

Showtunes17

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't believe that 'Rain' only entered the UK charts at #72. I've completely lost my faith in the charts now... even more than I did when the Pet Shop Boys didn't go Top 10 with 'Flamboyant'. :sad:

On the other hand, TBWKTM is at #43 this week, up from #68.

Okay, not tour as in "major tour", but he did do a tour in america/canada and now he's off in the far east. I don't know what it is really, but wasn't he in the UK everytime one of his singles was released in 07? I know he's performed Rain on TV a few times but that was way before its release, besides Children In Need. (well, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, I can't keep up with his schedule :aah:)

I don't know.

I just don't know.

I feel like I never see him anywhere :blink: He was in loads of things when WAG come out, but now it's almost like he's disappeared from the media. Seeing his name pop up 3 times in Star magazine almost gave me a heart attack.

I agree, he promoted much harder during LICM he was not complacent.

Will repost what i said about this ten pages ago..

That's exactly the problem, Mika isn't appealing to people outside his core fans.

And let's be honest there hasn't been much promotion/performances of Rain for it to be top 40 :huh: And Radio play helps to back up with the promotion and it just hasn't happened for him.

I wish he didn't do the US tour straight after promoting WAG here. He should have concentrated hard in making himself MORE relevant in the UK and expose people to his new album. Having just one or two weeks of promotion and then shooting off isn't going to help promotion wise because frankly Mika isn't a big of an artist for his music just to do the talking... as we've seen with how Rain is doing atm.

This thread makes me worried and sad!:blink:

But it's interesting so please keep us updated on what is happening in the UK.

In my country we don't hear much about Mika at all. WAG is played randomly on radio but I haven't heard Rain one single time so far!

A big shot music blogger http://kempagbg.blogspot.com/ had Rain on his list for a couple of weeks but now it's gone and all he had to say about TBWKTM was that it was a copy of LICM and nothing new, it made me really sad!:boxed:

actually i'd been keeping a faith that mika would come to HK next summer (perhaps around late may to june) when he finishes the uk and euro tour....... so when he tweeted those "HK/Seoul/Tokyo, here we go" one month or so ago, i was really surprised!!!! nvr expected he'd come THAT quick:shocked:

of coz i'm very very glad that i've met him now. but it seems that touring around when u hv a single out is not a gd idea at all:boxed: aftall, i think MIKA belongs to the UK (or Europe)!! i mean, my frds always consider him a British... i juz hv to repeat the "half American half Lebonese" thing again and again:mf_rosetinted:

btw may i ask how the coming gigs are going on now? tix sold out yet???

I feel so sad. What is wrong with this country?

IMO many people seem to have forgotten that there is actually more than one genre in the music world.

Nowadays, all the charts focus on is RnB music and American artists which has really cast a shadow over homegrown talent and different music genres. :sad:

Can't believe that 'Rain' only entered the UK charts at #72. I've completely lost my faith in the charts now... even more than I did when the Pet Shop Boys didn't go Top 10 with 'Flamboyant'. :sad:

On the other hand, TBWKTM is at #43 this week, up from #68.

Last week's album chart again Blossom :naughty: - Mika has gone down two places to no.45.

But a little more encouraging on the "Rain" front :wink2:

Rain is not shown as a new entry, but as having gone up from 142 to 72, a jump of 70 places. Which means that in fact it has been steadily selling as a downloaded track from the album before it was released as a single. If it had not been available as an album download, it would undoubtedly have entered the charts much higher as all the previous sales would have registered in one week.

This apparent dilution of sales is the curse of i-Tunes and why a lot of artists think you shouldn't be able to cherry-pick tracks from an album.

The idea of remixed tracks is that it encourages people to download the track again, but people have to know the remixes are available first - back to the marketing (or lack of it) again :dunno:

This apparent dilution of sales is the curse of i-Tunes and why a lot of artists think you shouldn't be able to cherry-pick tracks from an album.

The idea of remixed tracks is that it encourages people to download the track again, but people have to know the remixes are available first - back to the marketing (or lack of it) again :dunno:

I totally agree with you, silver. Give me a physical CD over digital downloads any day... :biggrin2:

I did think it was a good idea in the beginning, but I'm not so sure anymore. :dunno:

I totally agree with you, silver. Give me a physical CD over digital downloads any day... :biggrin2:

I did think it was a good idea in the beginning, but I'm not so sure anymore. :dunno:

yes I like CD's too. I like holding things and looking at it, it's like I've got proof that I own it lol :naughty:

I never understood why this cherry-picking was allowed in the first place! In my opinion, you should be able to download the singles seperately, but you should have to by the album if you want the other tracks.

Okay, not tour as in "major tour", but he did do a tour in america/canada and now he's off in the far east. I don't know what it is really, but wasn't he in the UK everytime one of his singles was released in 07? I know he's performed Rain on TV a few times but that was way before its release, besides Children In Need. (well, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, I can't keep up with his schedule :aah:)

I don't know.

I just don't know.

I feel like I never see him anywhere :blink: He was in loads of things when WAG come out, but now it's almost like he's disappeared from the media. Seeing his name pop up 3 times in Star magazine almost gave me a heart attack.

I think its because WAG didn't do as well as expected that he's getting ignored now I think.

Maybe.

I honestly thought that Rain is a really good choice as a single :blink: And the vid for Rain is quite mainstream. I don't know the UK system that well. Can it be just too early?

The vid isn't that mainstream, it just starts off that way. Don't think it helps that what you see conflicts with what you hear in it (lyrics all about NOT wanting to be ordinary, whilst visuals are all about running away from the extraordinary).

The vid isn't that mainstream, it just starts off that way. Don't think it helps that what you see conflicts with what you hear in it (lyrics all about NOT wanting to be ordinary, whilst visuals are all about running away from the extraordinary).

oooh never thought of that before. How very "media studies" of you. I like it.

WAG didn't do so well? It went to number 4! That's his second highest chart position!

True indeed, but I got the feel from all the reviews I read before it and the album came out, that the critics were expecting him to repeat LICM / Grace Kelly level success with Boy and WAG, sweeping all before him. And that didn't happen and WAG left the charts quicker than GK.

So it did do really well, but perhaps not at the expected level of mikafying the world...

Oooh and I love analysing videos and lyrics by the way...

What's happened with releasing BIOTG in the US? Was it released and how did it do?? Or is it still to happen?

True indeed, but I got the feel from all the reviews I read before it and the album came out, that the critics were expecting him to repeat LICM / Grace Kelly level success with Boy and WAG, sweeping all before him. And that didn't happen and WAG left the charts quicker than GK.

So it did do really well, but perhaps not at the expected level of mikafying the world...

Oooh and I love analysing videos and lyrics by the way...

What's happened with releasing BIOTG in the US? Was it released and how did it do?? Or is it still to happen?

BIOTG went to number 1 in Japan, and is the first non-japanese song to be number 1 since Leona Lewis' "bleeding love", so that's pretty good. As for the USA, not a scooby.

IMO many people seem to have forgotten that there is actually more than one genre in the music world.

Nowadays, all the charts focus on is RnB music and American artists which has really cast a shadow over homegrown talent and different music genres. :sad:

So true.

:sneaky2: