The Official "The Boy Who Knew Too Much ERA" Charts & Sales around the world Thread

Showtunes17

Being proud of your nationality...

Umm.

To be honest I'm more proud of the fact that I'm quarter Italian :blink:

I like it when...for example...if you're in a foreign place and people ask you about where you come from. That's nice, I like that because I feel that people are interested.

However I hate the stereotype. Hate, hate, hate. (The Essex stereotype, mainly. I.e: Girls going round in short skirts, high heels and getting it off with every man in the room, being stupidly drunk and doing stupid things, saying stupid things...all Essex girls are thick, apparently.)

I'm not snobby. I don't think I'm better than anyone else, I just don't like being labelled.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have JUST seen "Rain" on Vh1 on Pop Chart: it entered as #10 on the list.:boing:

oh that's good... so it was actually a good thing then that they had it in their list of worst videos in 2009, created interest? :naughty:

I think that that pride only comes when you don't live in your own country (anymore). I would never say that I'm proud to be Belgian as long as I live in Belgium. But I do think that if I moved to... anywhere in the world, I would start to feel proud as well. I think it's just a part of finding out who you are, and where you belong. Does that makes sense? :dunno:

Yes it makes sense to me. That's how I feel. I wouldn't say I am proud of the UK. But I love living here and I think if I lived abroad I would always still belong here, in my heart.

oh that's good... so it was actually a good thing then that they had it in their list of worst videos in 2009, created interest? :naughty:

Maybe:naughty: Robbie Williams was #1 a couple of days ago and today he's #8 :roftl:

I'd never say "I'm really proud to have an English mother and father" (I've actually NEVER heard anyone say they're proud to be British/English) yet I do think Mika has said he's proud to be half Lebanese. I really don't get the concept- neither he nor I did anything to determine our nationality, so where does pride come into it?

It's the ongoing culture that his family takes with them wherever they go that he's proud of, not his accident of birth on Lebanese soil. They could have abandoned it and adopted entirely French or British ways but they didn't.

This is the reason why Canadians generally don't have that national identity because the country is too new and full of recent immigrants for anyone to identify themselves with the state of Canada. They identify with a cultural nation, not with the state. And those cultural nations usually originate outside of Canada, even two and three generations on. People ask me where I'm from and if I say "Canada" that is never a satisfactory answer and they keep pressing to know where I'm "really" from. The fact that some of my great-grandparents were born here is irrelevant. People still expect me to identify myself as Irish or Portuguese or Lebanese or whatever the case may be.

I don't know what you mean about the flag being "not for decoration"- some English people, fed up of being surrounded by flag waving Scots Welsh and Irish, have recently taken up the flag of St George, but surely they were simply trying to catch Mika's attention/ stand out from the crowd?

No they were making a statement and it was more for the benefit of the people in the queue than for Mika. :naughty:

You are all way too busy with this.:naughty:

If he wants to be proud of wherever he comes from, just let him be proud.

I don't get what it has to do with the sales of his album?:naughty:

There's more going on than just Mika demonstrating pride in his heritage. The "born in Beirut in 1983" spiel was all part of the marketing spin when they launched "the project". I think it's appealing to some people but in the United States it would be best downplayed. Identifying yourself as Middle Eastern instead of the American citizen that you when the US is engaged in a war against Middle Eastern terrorists strikes me as a very bad marketing strategy - to say the least. :naughty:

Well I'm afraid I don't understand the fuss about nationality, especially in this day and age when the world is so small. There are very few people in the world today that are completely one nationality. I am English, but I could also say I am a quarter Irish.

I do think that where America is concerned, Mika maybe should play up his half American status, but at least he's being honest in saying that he's proud to be half Lebanese. I actually think that the fact that he is popular in both Lebanon and Israel, is a great thing! It means that he's promoting harmony over there. That's how I see it anyway. The UN should make Mika a goodwill ambassador!

I actually think that the fact that he is popular in both Lebanon and Israel, is a great thing! It means that he's promoting harmony over there. That's how I see it anyway. The UN should make Mika a goodwill ambassador!

I thing MIka himself has been dropping hints along these lines- some of his comments in music interviews sometimes seem to be deliberately suggesting that he'd like to be interviewed seriously on the subject. At the time of the Beirut gig, and that Amy Wineshouse Christmas/Chanuka nonsense, for example. I'd certainly like to hear such an interview!

It's the ongoing culture that his family takes with them wherever they go that he's proud of, not his accident of birth on Lebanese soil. They could have abandoned it and adopted entirely French or British ways but they didn't.

No they were making a statement and it was more for the benefit of the people in the queue than for Mika. :naughty:

There's more going on than just Mika demonstrating pride in his heritage. The "born in Beirut in 1983" spiel was all part of the marketing spin when they launched "the project". I think it's appealing to some people but in the United States it would be best downplayed. Identifying yourself as Middle Eastern instead of the American citizen that you when the US is engaged in a war against Middle Eastern terrorists strikes me as a very bad marketing strategy - to say the least. :naughty:

I agree about the marketing in the US (although I must admit I haven't been there for 25 years) but I don't think it's necessary in the UK- there's' about 5 books in my local bookstore by Americans whining that we're too quick to assume Middle Eastern immegrants are "one of us" (Middle Eastern politics interested my about 20 years before I heard of Mika) I think his heritage is seen as something interesting. As Caz sort of implies.

I must admit I'm still not convinced about the flag.

And also that I've always been satisfied with knowing that some MFCers are from Canada. In the UK, if you press on with "where are you from" after someone's said "Bradford" or whatever, you can get accused of racism. Indeed once, when called on to chat to candidates while they waited before my boss interviewed them, I asked one chap where he was from (as I had done everyone else) expecting the answer Redcar/Stockton/Middlesbrough because we don't pay high enough wages to inspire people to move, and managed to deeply offend and upset him so much that I wondered if my thoughtlessly unoriginal remark caused him to do badly in the interview!

The bit about ongoing culture is interesting, but today's the day I get going on my dissertation again, so it'll have to wait

I think his heritage is seen as something interesting. As Caz sort of implies.

I would expect the same in Canada, but his whole exotic multilingual thing can only take him so far in English speaking countries I think. There comes a point when the only people who care that he's Lebanese are the Lebanese and the only people who are impressed that he speaks French are French speakers.

I think this novelty has worn off (along with the is he/isn't he gay and his childhood struggles) and that's why he's not getting the same attention with a second album that he did with LICM, even if the second album is of equal or better quality.

I must admit I'm still not convinced about the flag.

Well I know why they brought the flag because I discussed it with them, so you'll just have to trust me on that. :naughty:

Indeed once, when called on to chat to candidates while they waited before my boss interviewed them, I asked one chap where he was from (as I had done everyone else) expecting the answer Redcar/Stockton/Middlesbrough because we don't pay high enough wages to inspire people to move, and managed to deeply offend and upset him so much that I wondered if my thoughtlessly unoriginal remark caused him to do badly in the interview!

Wow, that's a bit of an overreaction. :shocked::naughty:

Canada's official policy is one of multiculturalism so people are encouraged to maintain their own cultural beliefs and traditions rather than conforming. But I could see how it could be touchy to bring up the subject during a job interview unless the person is white, anglophone and has a local accent. But since I fall into all those categories people ask me all the time. :naughty:

I would expect the same in Canada, but his whole exotic multilingual thing can only take him so far in English speaking countries I think. There comes a point when the only people who care that he's Lebanese are the Lebanese and the only people who are impressed that he speaks French are French speakers.

I think this novelty has worn off (along with the is he/isn't he gay and his childhood struggles) and that's why he's not getting the same attention with a second album that he did with LICM, even if the second album is of equal or better quality.

Well I know why they brought the flag because I discussed it with them, so you'll just have to trust me on that. :naughty:

Wow, that's a bit of an overreaction. :shocked::naughty:

Canada's official policy is one of multiculturalism so people are encouraged to maintain their own cultural beliefs and traditions rather than conforming. But I could see how it could be touchy to bring up the subject during a job interview unless the person is white, anglophone and has a local accent. But since I fall into all those categories people ask me all the time. :naughty:

BUT YOU HAVEN'T SAID WHAT THE MESSAGE OF THE FLAG WAS! I'm not trying to be obtuse here, I really don't know!

I agree he needs new stories now but (getting perilously near to the thread topic again) I think the problem with this album is that people in the UK don't like the singles so far. Ironically, he's doing better as a "personality" than a musician atm- at least so far as my own circle is concerned.

I thought the interviewee overreacted too- but I've never again asked anyone where they're from. Except you Christine, where are you from, my dear, if not Canada?

And in fairness to the UK, I should add that immegrants are encouraged to rejoice in their own culture to a fairly wide extent, although a lot of people (including me) are against the idea (being considered) that sharia law should be given some sort of official status here.

Being proud of your nationality...

Umm.

To be honest I'm more proud of the fact that I'm quarter Italian :blink:

That's what I mean. If you lived in Italy, you wouldn't be proud of being quarter Italian, because everyone there is Italian, but of being 3quarters English, because that makes you different. I think.

People are mostly proud of something that makes them different.

Yeah maybe, but surely not all Americans think that? I mean, I'm sure that when most people heard that they didn't immediately went: ''Oh crap! He'll invade the charts and then shoot us down!'', or ''Huh. We're in a war with his country, so we're not gonna buy his album.''?

That'd just be narrow minded.

BUT YOU HAVEN'T SAID WHAT THE MESSAGE OF THE FLAG WAS! I'm not trying to be obtuse here, I really don't know!

I agree he needs new stories now but (getting perilously near to the thread topic again) I think the problem with this album is that people in the UK don't like the singles so far. Ironically, he's doing better as a "personality" than a musician atm- at least so far as my own circle is concerned.

I thought the interviewee overreacted too- but I've never again asked anyone where they're from. Except you Christine, where are you from, my dear, if not Canada?

And in fairness to the UK, I should add that immegrants are encouraged to rejoice in their own culture to a fairly wide extent, although a lot of people (including me) are against the idea (being considered) that sharia law should be given some sort of official status here.

Yes I think that too... about him becomming a personality atm. This is why I was so thrilled about his DJing over Christmas-time.

If you think about people like Cheryl Cole for example. She became a judge on X Factor and many people fell in-love with her personality. Then they bought her single and album.

This is what Mika needs in the UK. He needs a way to get the Mika whom WE on MFC all know and love, out to the general public. They could not fail to fall for him. He was adorable on Radio2, and on Real Radio so I think he's been doing the right thing and I also think he enjoys being a DJ as well.

Yes I think that too... about him becomming a personality atm. This is why I was so thrilled about his DJing over Christmas-time.

If you think about people like Cheryl Cole for example. She became a judge on X Factor and many people fell in-love with her personality. Then they bought her single and album.

This is what Mika needs in the UK. He needs a way to get the Mika whom WE on MFC all know and love, out to the general public. They could not fail to fall for him. He was adorable on Radio2, and on Real Radio so I think he's been doing the right thing and I also think he enjoys being a DJ as well.

That's sort of true- though unlike Cheryl Cole he's got real original musical talent. (I quite like CC, but I don't see her as a musician) Certainly if people realised how intelligent he is they might take a (rewarding) second look at his lyrics. I suspect people in the UK aren't getting how much of an album Boy is, compared to LICM which was more of a bunch of singles.

Can I say again that I thought he was totally wonderful on new year's eve- I hope all my colleagues heard him

That's sort of true- though unlike Cheryl Cole he's got real original musical talent. (I quite like CC, but I don't see her as a musician) Certainly if people realised how intelligent he is they might take a (rewarding) second look at his lyrics. I suspect people in the UK aren't getting how much of an album Boy is, compared to LICM which was more of a bunch of singles.

Can I say again that I thought he was totally wonderful on new year's eve- I hope all my colleagues heard him

Yes, I was only using CC as an example. Mika is a far better singer and far more original, but it just goes to show what some exposure of someone's personality could do for them, and for Mika in the long run.

I'd also love to see Mika hosting Eurovision as he has the linguistic skills to do it and he would be AWESOME!!

wow, have you seen this review of tbwktm?! http://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2009/dec/28/boy-who-knew-too-much/ :shocked: they say that he's better than andrew lloyd webber! :shocked::biggrin2::biggrin2:

apart from that, it's hard for me to understand that journalist language - but from what i understand, it seems like one of the best reviews i've read about the album. :thumb_yello:

wow, have you seen this review of tbwktm?! http://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2009/dec/28/boy-who-knew-too-much/ :shocked: they say that he's better than andrew lloyd webber! :shocked::biggrin2::biggrin2:

apart from that, it's hard for me to understand that journalist language - but from what i understand, it seems like one of the best reviews i've read about the album. :thumb_yello:

:shocked: That's a very original style of review - the language is florid but I think he liked it :biggrin2:

Well I'm afraid I don't understand the fuss about nationality, especially in this day and age when the world is so small. There are very few people in the world today that are completely one nationality. I am English, but I could also say I am a quarter Irish.

I do think that where America is concerned, Mika maybe should play up his half American status, but at least he's being honest in saying that he's proud to be half Lebanese. I actually think that the fact that he is popular in both Lebanon and Israel, is a great thing! It means that he's promoting harmony over there. That's how I see it anyway. The UN should make Mika a goodwill ambassador!

I don't care where I come from...the good thing about Holland is that we have Stroopwaffles. You could even put me in the middle of a jungle and I wouldn't care, I'm just glad to be rolling:roftl:

Yes yes yes!!!!! He's winning them over slowly but surely, and he IS better than ALW!!

Let's just say it was a bit of rivalry with some non-English fans and the English flag was planted at the head of the queue to remind everyone where they were. :naughty:

I felt that way about LICM myself. I did love Grace Kelly immediately but I wouldn't have listened to the album much if Mika hadn't won me over with his personality. As far as music goes I much prefer the styles of Amy Winehouse, Adele and Paolo Nutini - but for some reason I'm here and not on their fan clubs. :naughty:

Mostly the north of England, I think. I've heard rumours about a native Canadian great grandfather and another from Ireland, but it seems that 2 sets of great grandparents hailed from villages in the Peak District and another from Manchester.

Yeah maybe, but surely not all Americans think that? I mean, I'm sure that when most people heard that they didn't immediately went: ''Oh crap! He'll invade the charts and then shoot us down!'', or ''Huh. We're in a war with his country, so we're not gonna buy his album.''?

That'd just be narrow minded.

Most Americans have not heard Mika's story at all and they aren't likely to if he keeps marketing himself as someone the average American can't relate to.

The fact that Mika is American is one of his strengths going into the American market so I just think he should utilize it as much as he can instead of reminding everyone for no good reason that he's mostly not American. He doesn't give the "born in Beirut" speech because he likes to hear himself talk or finds it therapeutic to reveal personal details about himself in public. It's to make him sound interesting and exotic so people will take enough notice of him to give his music a listen. In some markets it works, but I think in the US it just serves to alienate him from his would-be audience.

Mika speaking French is a brilliant strategy for impressing the media and winning over fans in Quebec, Belgium and France but it's not going to help him get through to potential fans in New York so obviously he doesn't speak French when he's giving interviews there. I think the same holds true for his image and his backstory and what works in Europe is not necessarily going to work in America and if he doesn't tailor them to fit he'll have a hard time breaking through the way he did in Europe.

This is what Mika needs in the UK. He needs a way to get the Mika whom WE on MFC all know and love, out to the general public. They could not fail to fall for him.

He needs that everywhere. I think Mika could have become a star in English speaking Canada if he'd gone through with the plans for him to mentor on Canadian Idol. 1 million pop music lovers would have seen him interviewed, working on musical arrangements and advising the contestants. IMO this is a thousand times more effective than a simple 3-minute performance.

Ha, I have to agree with that. I hate all these modern-day Lloyd Webber type musicals. That's why I'd like to see Mika do one. I think it would be a lot more fun.

Yes- I agree with you Christine about getting into Mika's music via his interviews. I think he's a good songwriter, but if he got more of that dark, glittery, complex personality of his into his songs, so you could see it without reading an interview first, he'd be a great one. I remember reading you saying once that you thought LIly Allen had nailed the "dark lyrics happy music" thing better than mika- I sort of agree- but only for now- I think he has the ability to develop a lot more while, even if she comes out of retirement, I'm not so sure she does.

North of England :thumb_yello:

And I finally understand about the flag.