Is "We Are Golden" a plagiarism song???

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats a most unusual first post I must say

Yes.. May I recommend to delete this thread due to the weird nature of its appearance as a first post from weirdo who did not even bother to introduce themselves

We can also discuss the matter. No harm in discussing it, is there?

Even because the discussion is already out there, e.g. on Youtube.

For me I think it is not copied. It doesn't sound like Belinda Carlisle, and I like that song too.

But I agree that Sara should introduce herselve properly!

Please excuse me that I didn't even say "Hello" to you but I am so shocked that I forgot about it... I felt very strangely when I listened to WAG for the first time and I immediately thought about that "Heaven is a place on earth" song...

Please excuse me that I didn't even say "Hello" to you but I am so shocked that I forgot about it... I felt very strangely when I listened to WAG for the first time and I immediately thought about that "Heaven is a place on earth" song...

Sorry but you act as if you have just invented the wheel. This song reminds us of many other songs and this one the least....

I saw you created a profile on YT just to post this masterpiece there but there is absolutely no use registering MFC to post it here,too .. This song was mentioned ages ago to resemble WAG, anyway, and I could't give a toss because to me it doesn't.:cool:

Edited by suzie

I agreed with others that's wrong whit our interest in Mika and also yes they maybe can have a similar sound but the ritm on the background is pure mika's magic work i think nothimg can be compared

Yes.. May I recommend to delete this thread due to the weird nature of its appearance as a first post from weirdo who did not even bother to introduce themselves

No need to call anyone names. I don't think it's so weird.

And I still haven't introduced myself. :wink2:

Well I personally don't think it's plagiarism, but they do have similar chord progressions etc. When I'd only heard WAG a couple of times I was trying to sing the chorus and couldn't remember the tune properly and what came out of my mouth instead was Heaven Is A Place On Earth. I think it's more that one reminds me of the other, rather than plagiarism.

But then if you watch that really funny comedy sketch about Pachabel's Canon, it effectively says that there are heaps of songs with similar chord progressions to Pachabel's Canon, and yet these songs are all quite different in their own way and I can't imagine anyone trying to say that all these artists plagiarised each other.

I'll try and find it.....

I think these days it's impossible to produce a song that absolutey does not look like any other song. There's so much out there (from knows artists aswell as not known artists). And then there's also the thing that everyone hears a song differently .. some would say it's the same, others just can't hear it .. I've seen it happen with a song from another band a little while ago, a lot of people were like: gosh, they just stole it from ... And I listened, but I just couldn't hear it :boxed: Sometimes you only hear what you make of it :bleh:

Anyway, the lyrics aren't the same, are they? Isn't that what a song is about? And as far as the music goes .. Maybe, maybe not .. But is that so important? If you shoul ban all songs that somewhere look like another song .. don't think there'll be much choice left :bleh:

Welcome to the MFC :mf_rosetinted:

Other people have already pointed out the similarity between WAG and that song.

As someone has already explained in another thread, when you hear a new piece of music, your brain automatically retrieves fragments of music you memorized in the past, that is stuff you're already familiar with.

This is something that happens very often, even to famous classical concert players who are performing from memory. The famous violinist Nathan Milstein once said he began to play a Sarabande by Bach during a recital and he ended with another Sarabande by Bach. The audience didn't even notice. :naughty:

It is very difficult to say that a song is a "plagiarism" song because a few tones of the melody are the same as in another song. The notes are just a few and their combinations, useful in pop music, are not endless! :wink2:

Many people have identified lots of similarities with totally different songs by Bon Jovi, Kim Wilde, Annie Lennox. I don't think a human mind could produce a great song such as WAG by putting together all those fragments of pre-existing hits. :boxed: Well, if Mika did, he's definitely a genius IMO! :roftl:

I don't think they sound so alike that anyone could accuse Mika of plagiarism. I actually think they are very much different songs.

*agrees*

The chorus of the song We Are Golden has a similar beat to the chorus of HIAPOE, but if you listen to it, note-wise, they are not the same. The rest of the song is not like any song out there, so NO, WAG is not copied from another song at all!

The chorus of the song We Are Golden has a similar beat to the chorus of HIAPOE, but if you listen to it, note-wise, they are not the same. The rest of the song is not like any song out there, so NO, WAG is not copied from another song at all!

The words I was "trying" to type .. agree , its the chorus "beat" thats the same .. spot on

:aah:

I'm gonna burn down Milan the next time I hear the Italian radio deejay introduce the song with & now MIKA's new single...poor man, is difficoult to make original music...many thanks Belinda Carlisle “Heaven is a place on earth”

it's just a mix of playful notes from the 80's, ok spot the songs but also spread the word...MIKA IS BACK :teehee:

Edited by greta

There is a similarity in the chorus. I think it would be very naive to deny that. I personally DO hear a similar sound to the Belinda Carlisle song in that part of We Are Golden.

It is not however similar enough to constitute plagiarism, and as the rest of the song is very different from HIAPOE, then an accusation of plagiarism holds no water at all.

Many other contemporary songs have parts of them which sound like old songs. For example, I heard a song by Kasabian yesterday which I thought sounded very similar in parts to Massive Attack's Teardrop. However it wouldn't occur to me to post comments on Kasabian fansites or on videos on Youtube pointing this out. What is the point? I am sure it was not Kasabian's intention to plagiarise, any more than it is Mika's intention to do so.

Western music consists of only 12 notes. Sometimes these notes are put together in a way which may sound similar to a way that has been done before. It's that simple!

There is a similarity in the chorus. I think it would be very naive to deny that. I personally DO hear a similar sound to the Belinda Carlisle song in that part of We Are Golden.

I remember you said this weeks ago and even some music journalists mentioned her name a long time ago when he was doing the promo shows. :wink2: I personally think there is only vague similarity as the melody does not go the same way. It if went the same way, it would be plagism. I can list an additional dozen songs this one reminds me of and everybody is entitled to have an opinion and post it here.. It 's just that I found the circumstances of starting this thread rather odd but I understand our new member's intentions were meant to cause no harm and I already apologised her for thinking otherwise first.

I still have a rather uneasy feeling about having a thread with the words plagism and a Mika song in the title... Why can't this just be discussed on any of the WAG threads? It was already discussed there in and out and I don't see why this particular believed similarity should be given special attention again.:sneaky2:

I'd just like to state that when I first joined here I didn't introduce myself and my first post was about how gorgeous Mika was and how much I wanted his babies.

:roftl::roftl:

And here I am two years later with lots of lovely friends :wub2:

I'd just like to state that when I first joined here I didn't introduce myself and my first post was about how gorgeous Mika was and how much I wanted his babies.

I have to see your introduction :roftl:

...that one caused him no harm, did it?

This one actually can:cool: