2009 - MIKA @ Popstarz Live @ The Scala, London 11-09 - REPORTS, PHOTOS, VIDS

Blue Sky

Oh I forgot to mention I got the third degree by a really tall guy behind me ... how long had I liked Mika... how long had I been at the venue ... how long had I been at the barrier .... what was my fave Mika song .... did I like the new single .... how many times had I seen him .... etc etc etc .... he was really gorgeous too :aah:

Sucks :lmfao:

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

was talking about the glitter make up. :wink2:

ooh, me likes that! :wub2::fangurl:

P1010367.jpg

thanx for the reports, pix and videos! great to hear that everyone had such a good time! :thumb_yello: what irritated me a bit though was what sara mentioned about the feeling that the gig was meant only for the gays, not for the "usual hardorce fans" - if it was just to get the message across that he's gay, ok, but i don't like the idea that he makes certain parts of the audience (no matter who it is) feel like they're out of place there. :dunno:

I was there and didn't feel out of place at any moment. It was all so nice, free and welcoming! MFC was the last place I'd expect to make any boundaries between fans.:mf_rosetinted:

I am ready for that :naughty:

perhaps Toy Boy 88 comes back again and starts a thread...:teehee:

:lmfao: I almost forgot about that.

I was thinking more in the lines of past threads by people proudly reporting about how they successfully battered their classmates after those had 'accused' Mika of being 'ohmygoddon'tmentionit' :teehee:

Oh I forgot to mention I got the third degree by a really tall guy behind me ... how long had I liked Mika... how long had I been at the venue ... how long had I been at the barrier .... what was my fave Mika song .... did I like the new single .... how many times had I seen him .... etc etc etc .... he was really gorgeous too :aah:

Sucks :lmfao:

Aaw! That's so nice to hear!:mf_lustslow:

I was there and didn't feel out of place at any moment. It was all so nice, free and welcoming! MFC was the last place I'd expect to make any boundaries between fans.:mf_rosetinted:

that's great then! :thumb_yello: it just sounded from sara's report like you had to feel out of place there if you weren't a gay guy. :wink2: but good to hear that i understood that wrong, or that at least it wasn't the case for everyone. :original:

Next couple of days will be so entertaining here :roftl:

i already have got some names in my head :naughty:

It will be...if not a coming out for his fans...a coming to terms...:wink2:

But the whole subject is sensetive and I hope we all can "play nice!"

About the video, yes there is one happy boy in the end, lovely to see!:wub2:

:wub2:

thanx for the reports, pix and videos! great to hear that everyone had such a good time! :thumb_yello: what irritated me a bit though was what sara mentioned about the feeling that the gig was meant only for the gays, not for the "usual hardorce fans" - if it was just to get the message across that he's gay, ok, but i don't like the idea that he makes certain parts of the audience (no matter who it is) feel like they're out of place there. :dunno:

that's great then! :thumb_yello: it just sounded from sara's report like you had to feel out of place there if you weren't a gay guy. :wink2: but good to hear that i understood that wrong, or that at least it wasn't the case for everyone. :original:

NO, NO, NO! It wasn't that at all.

We weren't made feel unwelcome, and Mika did his usual thing with the crowd, so it had nothing to do with him or the band or the guys there making us feel uncomfortable or unwelcome. They were all very friendly and lovely and we chatted a lot to the few who were standing right behind us, so I have absolutely no complaints at all. I had a lot of fun.

What I'm saying is just that, from MY perspective, I felt like we were intruding a bit on their 'turf'.

This was a tiny venue with a tiny stage, of what was meant to be a relaxed club night (not a regular gig where you go in and take your position) but in order to get to the front we turned it into a normal gig atmosphere by going straight to the barrier and waiting there for 3 hours instead of doing what everyone else was doing, which was just chill and have fun and dance and drink and move around.

The problem was that, once the first few people took their positions against the barrier, that was it, if someone wanted a good position they needed to do the same, which is why we all ended up glued to the barrier for 3 hours whilst the 'locals' mingled and had fun. Which was the whole idea of it.

I felt like us (the mfc'ers and other handful or hardcore fans non-Popstarz usual clientele) were robbing the Popstarz club goers of their chance of seeing Mika in their turf and on their terms. It had nothing to do with people being boys, or being gay, and certainly nothing to do with the attitude of any of them.

It was MY perception, based on my sensibility, and the feeling that we were sort of ruining their night by turning it into a regular gig 'business as usual' scenario in a situation that was not suited to that.

I hope that it's clearer now?

Hi,I'll just do a quick report now as I'd like to clarify a couple of points that I read, and give a different perspective to some things that have been said. I found that it was a really good gig, and really, it wasn't such a big deal.

I'll try not to repeat things that have already been said, but all in all we had a great day spending time with everyone, and to top it all up the gig at midnight.

We all made it to the front (by looking like total morons standing in front of the barrier for 3 full hours since they opened the doors to the club :biggrin2:), so we had a really good view. The stage is tiny there, and the barrier was really close to the stage, so all in all it was like being more or less on stage.To those who were there, it was a lot like NY but in a different shape (this one being longer and more rectangular in shape)

The crowd were quite into it (as you'd expect from the place, and from a midnight show where people had been drinking for hours), but in no way did I find this crowd any rowdier than many other gigs (Mika gigs included) that I've been to. Yes, there are always a couple of idiots, but that happens every time. Where I was today, I didn't see or experience any more pushing or any other unpleasant events than I have seen in the past.

Mika was REALLY loving it, you could see how happy he was to be there again, and how he enjoyed it. It's hard to explain, but if I had to recap it all, in a nutshell I'd say that he felt truly at home there. The fact that he started the gig saying that he'd been going to the Popstarz nights since he was 15 years old was an incredible 'confession' which I was very happy to hear. Really, it's all out there for anyone to see and come to their own conclusions, but IMO it's now in black and white. He's told us. And I really love the fact that he's done it, that he's so happy and confident that he finds that he can just be himself. I love him even more for this now.

Anyway, gigwise it was a bit shorter than a normal gig, but it was fantastic. The stage was very low, the place tiny and rocking, and Mika was loving the interaction with the audience. If I have to say one thing, it would be that I felt a bit like an intruder in a way-Like we (the 'regular hardcore' fans) weren't meant to be there, as this was his special night with his Popstarz boys. It just felt that way. Mika made a massive point of making tons of eye contact with the guys in the audience (it was 90 percent gay guys, obviously), and he kept touching their hands, etc...So, in a way, it felt like us (the fans who go everywhere) had infiltrated this gig when it was meant to be this little thing for them, in their own place, if that makes any sense?

In any case it was really viby and the whole place was rocking. We saw his family all looking on proudly, and Alexander was really getting into it just behind us. Andy was also around, and just in general everyone who's a regular at these gigs :roftl:.

Now the stage invasion. I may not be popular for saying this, but I think that the whole problem here stems from the fact that it was not meant to be a stage invasion. Mika usually beckons people to get on the stage 'en masse' when he wants them to invade.

Tonight he did not.

He personally picked a couple of guys and pulled them up by their hands. He didn't wave at us to get onto the stage. But after he'd pulled the two or three boys up, a couple of people (MFC'ers) jumped onto the stage, and then it was mayhem and a free for all, where some were trying to get his attention, hug him, etc... If these people hadn't gotten up there (when IMHO, it was clear that we weren't meant to go up), I think that things would have remained a lot more controlled and he would have just stayed there with the 3 guys that he had personally pulled up.

Anyway, what's done is done, but maybe we can take it into account for future gigs. Just read the signs. If he's not asking us to invade, let's not do it. Why do we have to randomly jump on stage? He makes it very clear when he wants people to do it by waving, so if he's not doing it and instead he's pulling individuals up, let's take the hint, I say.

About the people who sort of pulled him up off his feet, to be honest, it didn't really look that dangerous or like Mika was horrified. It was all very fast and they quickly put him down, so I don't know if it was really that big a deal. I think that it was just a matter of a lot of chaos on the stage at the same time and maybe it looked worse because of that? Of course I'm not Mika so I have no idea of how it felt for him, but this is how it looked from my perspective.

In my opinion, the fact of actually invading the stage was a lot worse. Anyway, it was a great gig despite this, and by no means any rowdier than others. It always just depends on where you are, as different people at the same gig have different experiences, but for me it was really good. The boys around us were very excited and it was very cute to see. Some of them had never seen him before and witnessing their amazement at him was really :wub2:

Thank you for your great report! (as usual BTW) :thumb_yello:

UK fans were so lucky to be able to attend this "coming out of the closet" gig. It's an incredible surprise from him, totally unexpected after his answers in recent interviews, and it's amazing that you've been there during this important moment in Mika's career. :clap: :clap:

I hope one day we will get something similar in Italy, too. :wub2: Although it's very unlikely. :tears:

Sara, thank you so much for your report. :thumb_yello:

I am not going to quote everything but I strongly recommend everyone to read this one,too.:wink2:

...concerning the way I feel about the gig, I'd say if I were a gay boy I would hate to have missed it and envy all of you for being there...:blush-anim-cl: (:wink2:)

Mika was REALLY loving it, you could see how happy he was to be there again, and how he enjoyed it. It's hard to explain, but if I had to recap it all, in a nutshell I'd say that he felt truly at home there.

:thumb_yello:

...concerning the stage invasion

I may not be popular for saying this, but I think that the whole problem here stems from the fact that it was not meant to be a stage invasion. Mika usually beckons people to get on the stage 'en masse' when he wants them to invade.

Tonight he did not.

He personally picked a couple of guys and pulled them up by their hands. He didn't wave at us to get onto the stage. But after he'd pulled the two or three boys up, a couple of people (MFC'ers) jumped onto the stage, and then it was mayhem and a free for all, where some were trying to get his attention, hug him, etc... If these people hadn't gotten up there (when IMHO, it was clear that we weren't meant to go up), I think that things would have remained a lot more controlled and he would have just stayed there with the 3 guys that he had personally pulled up.

Anyway, what's done is done, but maybe we can take it into account for future gigs. Just read the signs. If he's not asking us to invade, let's not do it. Why do we have to randomly jump on stage? He makes it very clear when he wants people to do it by waving, so if he's not doing it and instead he's pulling individuals up, let's take the hint, I say

You made a good point. Some fans clearly have a problem reading the signs - it has been a problem since the beginning both on MFC and at gigs. :cool:

It might be a lesson to be learnt for people who are open to learn and read between the lines. :wink2:

(..those who cannot I have no advice to give though:dunno:)

NO, NO, NO! It wasn't that at all.

We weren't made feel unwelcome, and Mika did his usual thing with the crowd, so it had nothing to do with him or the band or the guys there making us feel uncomfortable or unwelcome. They were all very friendly and lovely and we chatted a lot to the few who were standing right behind us, so I have absolutely no complaints at all. I had a lot of fun.

What I'm saying is just that, from MY perspective, I felt like we were intruding a bit on their 'turf'.

This was a tiny venue with a tiny stage, of what was meant to be a relaxed club night (not a regular gig where you go in and take your position) but in order to get to the front we turned it into a normal gig atmosphere by going straight to the barrier and waiting there for 3 hours instead of doing what everyone else was doing, which was just chill and have fun and dance and drink and move around.

The problem was that, once the first few people took their positions against the barrier, that was it, if someone wanted a good position they needed to do the same, which is why we all ended up glued to the barrier for 3 hours whilst the 'locals' mingled and had fun. Which was the whole idea of it.

I felt like us (the mfc'ers and other handful or hardcore fans non-Popstarz usual clientele) were robbing the Popstarz club goers of their chance of seeing Mika in their turf and on their terms. It had nothing to do with people being boys, or being gay, and certainly nothing to do with the attitude of any of them.

It was MY perception, based on my sensibility, and the feeling that we were sort of ruining their night by turning it into a regular gig 'business as usual' scenario in a situation that was not suited to that.

I hope that it's clearer now?

I see your point now!:thumb_yello:

Thank you for your great report! (as usual BTW) :thumb_yello:

UK fans were so lucky to be able to attend this "coming out of the closet" gig. It's an incredible surprise from him, totally unexpected after his answers in recent interviews, and it's amazing that you've been there during this important moment in Mika's career. :clap: :clap:

I hope one day we will get something similar in Italy, too. :wub2: Although it's very unlikely. :tears:

What, a coming out of the closet gig? I think it's a typical one-off situation, no? :wink2:

I think now that he got that off his chest he can happily continue being MIKA instead of 'MIKA - probably gay'. Oh, it will be great! party.gif

What, a coming out of the closet gig? I think it's a typical one-off situation, no? :wink2:

I think now that he got that off his chest he can happily continue being MIKA instead of 'MIKA - probably gay'. Oh, it will be great! party.gif

Well, perhaps he feels like being labelled now. He may have changed his mind about labels and all that stuff. :dunno:

Let's see what he's going to say in interviews in the future.

I'm afraid in Italy he's going to lose quite a lot of fans, though. There have been several unpleasant episodes of 'narrow-mindedness' here recently. My country is living in the Middle-Ages. :sad:

Well, perhaps he feels like being labelled now. He may have changed his mind about labels and all that stuff. :dunno:

I'm afraid in Italy he's going to lose quite a lot of fans, though. There have been several unpleasant episodes of 'narrow-mindedness' here recently. My country is living in the Middle-Ages. :sad:

If Mika loses fans because of that they were not real fans. I guess though he can get new fans now as well:thumb_yello:

I have to say, I've always guessed the truth about Mika and although I've always respected his decision not to say anything, I always wished he would, for his own sake. He's going to fall in love someday (or he may have a lover already) and he should be happy to be with whom he loves, in an open way, no secrets. I'm so happy that he now feels able to be open about who he is!

But surely they are fans of his music first and foremost? What does anything else matter to them really? Do they hate Elton John, avoid his concerts? Would they refuse to go and see a George Michael gig? :blink:

I hope one day we will get something similar in Italy, too. :wub2: Although it's very unlikely.

Well, I doubt it, but just because this was a once-off in the sense that he had an emotional attachment to the event/place, and this is why he said what he said. I don't think that this was a stunt, or anything planned as a coming out, but rather that he felt comfortable and didn't want to hide it.

There won't be a similar situation anywhere else because he grew up here, and this is where he went out to clubs as a teenager. Not elsewhere, so it would make no sense to make a threatre of it and make 'coming out' gigs. This was just something that IMO was a bit spontaneous, and due to the ties that he feels with the place.

...concerning the stage invasion

You made a good point. Some fans clearly have a problem reading the signs - it has been a problem since the beginning both on MFC and at gigs. :cool:

It might be a lesson to be learnt for people who are open to learn and read between the lines. :wink2:

(..those who cannot I have no advice to give though:dunno:)

Yes, I totally agree.

I think that we need to pay more attention to the signs that he gives, and it will just make life nicer for everyone.

One of the reasons why the Monday night pub thing went so well is because most of us left Mika alone and didn't bother him. If we'd all gone after him, chasing him around the bar, the experience would have been horrific and we wouldn't all have gone home so happy (including Mika).

I see your point now!:thumb_yello:

Thanks Kasia!

I have to say, I've always guessed the truth about Mika and although I've always respected his decision not to say anything, I always wished he would, for his own sake. He's going to fall in love someday (or he may have a lover already) and he should be happy to be with whom he loves, in an open way, no secrets. I'm so happy that he now feels able to be open about who he is!

guess he won't be open about having a relationship, well certainly not in a way that it's in the press - he said that in an interview, that if he had a relationship, he'd protect it, there wouldn't be things like homestories. :wink2: but still, for those who can read them, there are signs as well. :wink2:

:naughty: Are they also all blind though? :lmfao: Because after he released the WAG video, to be honest, there shouldn't have been any doubts left in anyone's mind :roftl:

I don't think it's only Italy. You may find that here, too, especially among older people. :dunno:

As for 'fans' turning away now just because the obvious has been said out loud, it's a complete mystery to me. I don't see how people can harm themselves that way. For sure they can't benefit in any way, shape or form from staying away from Mika, can they?

There won't be a similar situation anywhere else because he grew up here, and this is where he went out to clubs as a teenager. Not elsewhere, so it would make no sense to make a threatre of it and make 'coming out' gigs. This was just something that IMO was a bit spontaneous, and due to the ties that he feels with the place.

hm, maybe... i wasn't there, so i guess you can tell better than me, but i think there are two possibilities - a) that it was a place he had been to quite often like you said or b) just the fact that it was a gay club. i'm not so sure that the won't do similar things at other gay clubs in the future. :dunno: