The "what am I doing with my life?" thread

the problem is that, here in Norway there aren't many auditions, and if there are, they aren't open for everyone just those who are spesial-invited. So it's difficult to do that too... It's like I feel my only option is to move to another country and try out there...

Yeah. You might have to. Another option is to write and produce your own plays--start by casting your friends. That way you wouldn't need to be accepted by any other organisation and it might garner you some recognition.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah. You might have to. Another option is to write and produce your own plays--start by casting your friends. That way you wouldn't need to be accepted by any other organisation and it might garner you some recognition.

Yeah, that is a good idea, I have been participating in a smaller theater-group in my local community the last year, and playing som minor parts, but I guess I have to do my best to make a name out of my self, if you understand? I know this is something I really want to work with when I grow older, and I don't really have a problem with going to a school outside this country, but I'm just afraid of choosing the wrong school...

Yeah, that is a good idea, I have been participating in a smaller theater-group in my local community the last year, and playing som minor parts, but I guess I have to do my best to make a name out of my self, if you understand? I know this is something I really want to work with when I grow older, and I don't really have a problem with going to a school outside this country, but I'm just afraid of choosing the wrong school...

Yeah, I totally understand--it's a big decision to make. I've made the decision to move back to England after I graduate, away from my parents and my friends here, and I'm just hoping it won't be a mistake...:eek:

Yeah, I totally understand--it's a big decision to make. I've made the decision to move back to England after I graduate, away from my parents and my friends here, and I'm just hoping it won't be a mistake...:eek:

There are few mistakes that are so dire that they cannot be learned from.

That's the great thing about life. No matter how badly you screw it up, you can pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and take another stab at it.

(Have I ever screwed up? In the most epic ways humanly possible.)

Thanks for your help Teegs, but I'd rather not teach, for I do not have the patience to teach people and would rather be a dancer rather than teach others how to do it...but I can't be a dancer anyway...so am thinking of Journalism! :thumb_yello:

Fair enough... thought it was worth suggesting!

I'm interested in teaching insofar as I love discussing things with people - which is why I'd love to go into lecturing in Philosophy - the 'kids' are between 17 and 23, as well as mature students, and it's more like having discussions than teaching a class (in my uni anyway, where the classes are small) - but either way they're equals, not children to be taught. So I find that quite appealing, but there's nothing else I can actually do with a Philosophy Masters if I didn't get into lecturing so I may go with the safer option (English).

Hmmmmm... interesting!

When you said you liked discussing things with people, I thought that was odd cause usually you can't discuss too much with kids... but when you said young adults that made a lot more sense :doh:

Why can't you be a dancer?

My mum thinks I should get a job singing on cruise ships. I think she may have presented me with a stroke of genius--especially since it pays rather extortionately, apparently. :biggrin2:

Interesting job!

Did she say it as a joke?

I'm soon 18 years old, and my biggest dream in life is to become an actress! But I have a problem which is that I don't have much experience because this is something I’ve just “discovered”, and here in Norway it’s only two schools where you can educate to become an actress, and both those schools only take in about 8 students each year. So the chances for me to get in to one of those schools are pretty small to be honest, and I think it’s difficult to find a good school somewhere outside my own country without travelling there, and that is something I don’t have the right economy to do… Is there someone who has an idea of what I can do to make my dream come true? Because this is something I really want to do every day for the rest of my life! :thumb_yello:

Those acting schools look nice on the resume, but I think it's important to get out and get some experience, that way you can develop your acting as you go..

I think the suggestion that someone made that you write your own play might be a good idea...

There are few mistakes that are so dire that they cannot be learned from.

That's the great thing about life. No matter how badly you screw it up, you can pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and take another stab at it.

(Have I ever screwed up? In the most epic ways humanly possible.)

A great point... oh and another point... have a backup interest that you could develop into a career..

Why can't you be a dancer?

My mum thinks I should get a job singing on cruise ships. I think she may have presented me with a stroke of genius--especially since it pays rather extortionately, apparently. :biggrin2:

What do you want to do on the cruise ship?

I've debated with myself whether or not I wanted to try to get a photography job on one. It'd be awesome to have a job that lets you travel and it isn't hectic type of traveling where you're running for a plane all the time. :naughty:

The only thing that kind of put me off of it was that I'd have to have a roommate and be away 4-6 months at a time so after I got off the ship I'd have to go back home instead of having my own apartment somewhere. :naughty:

I think someone I know from school is getting a photography job on one. I'm going to watch his facebook and see how it goes for him first. :teehee:

Hmmmmm... interesting!

When you said you liked discussing things with people, I thought that was odd cause usually you can't discuss too much with kids... but when you said young adults that made a lot more sense :doh:

Haha! The idea of simply teaching kids appeals in one way, BUT - unless your listeners can reciprocate, think for themselves, critically analyse what you say, and offer new insights, then the teacher doesn't really get anything back. Sure, you get the joy of kids, the surprising intelligence and wit that comes out of them, and the disinterest in homework - but if I want that I'll HAVE kids :naughty: I reckon being a Philosophy lecturer would keep on teaching the lecturer too, year after year. I know we certainly tested my favourite aul Professor, more than once we twisted his thoughts into whole new ideas that gave him pause - THAT'S what I love.

I certainly have the passion, anyway :roftl:

Interesting job!

Did she say it as a joke?

No! The funny thing is, my mum is all for me gong and following my heart/passions...whereas I'm the one who's telling myself to go and do something sensible. :blink::naughty:

What do you want to do on the cruise ship?

I've debated with myself whether or not I wanted to try to get a photography job on one. It'd be awesome to have a job that lets you travel and it isn't hectic type of traveling where you're running for a plane all the time. :naughty:

I'd be singing. I'd love to do it, I'm definitely going to look into it...the only regret I'd have is that I couldn't get an extensive look into the country's culture; we'd only be stopping for a couple of days at a time.

I'm in my Senior year of High School.

I know that I want to have a job of creative thinking. I love art, but I don't know if it will be just good as a hobby!

I'm considering being in graphic design, art therapy, or teaching art.

I don't want a typical life where I just get married, have two kids, a dog, and settle down.

I want to do something out of the ordinary, to help a ton of people and to spread love around. My main want in life is love. All kinds of love for all kinds of people. I just want to travel around the world and accept the amazing people and try to change what's not right. I kind of like the idea of a starving artist, but at the same time I don't haha.

I just want to live an amazing life, but I don't exactly know where to start or how to do that.

I've also wanted to be in the film industry, but I don't know if that's the greatest idea.

I'm 25 and have a degree in photography. I don't like doing commercial photography, so I really just got the schooling so I could learn techniques and skills for personal artistic purposes. I currently manage a doggie daycare, which is soooo much fun, but not very mentally fulfilling. I decided to go back to school to get a degree in Archaeology, which is what I'm doing now. After I finish at my current school, I hope to be accepted to a graduate school where I can specifically study Egyptology. I would love to have a job in a museum someday. However, lately I just feel like I will never reach my goals!

Right now I am feeling very frustrated...All the people in my classes are 18,19,20 and I feel sooooo disconnected. I think about the fact that by the time I finish getting a PhD, I will probably be 35 years old. In order to pay for my school I have to work at least 50 hours a week, and it's killing me...It's a good thing I don't plan on starting a family.

I often wonder if it's worth it...

That's my venting for the week. :aah:

I'm 25 and have a degree in photography. I don't like doing commercial photography, so I really just got the schooling so I could learn techniques and skills for personal artistic purposes. I currently manage a doggie daycare, which is soooo much fun, but not very mentally fulfilling. I decided to go back to school to get a degree in Archaeology, which is what I'm doing now. After I finish at my current school, I hope to be accepted to a graduate school where I can specifically study Egyptology. I would love to have a job in a museum someday. However, lately I just feel like I will never reach my goals!

Right now I am feeling very frustrated...All the people in my classes are 18,19,20 and I feel sooooo disconnected. I think about the fact that by the time I finish getting a PhD, I will probably be 35 years old. In order to pay for my school I have to work at least 50 hours a week, and it's killing me...It's a good thing I don't plan on starting a family.

I think your choice to become Archaeology is very exciting, it sounds like so much fun if it’s something you’re interested in! And I really don’t think that your age should be a problem, I think that because you are older you have made a more adult choice for your education! And if this is something you really want to work with later in your life, it’s worth working all day long for it now!

I'd be singing. I'd love to do it, I'm definitely going to look into it...the only regret I'd have is that I couldn't get an extensive look into the country's culture; we'd only be stopping for a couple of days at a time.

Oooh that's cool! You should definitely try for it! That's the other thing I was a little iffy about. You only dock for a couple of days and then it's back into the ocean... I do like my land. :naughty: Oh boy. If we docked some place tropical or in France good luck finding me and getting me back on that boat. :roftl:

Another photographer! :bye: (I know that smiley is the "bye" smiley but it can be for hi :naughty:) I don't like dealing with a lot of commercial/table top work either. I like interacting with people and nature better than boxes. :naughty: That's cool that you're going to school now for Archaeology! I remember once upon a time ago I thought about that being my career. Do not worry about your age! Seriously! 25 is still young! I just graduated photography school at 22 and one of my friends from there was in his 50's. We had quite a few who were making career changes or just wanted to do this. Find that person who you click with and go have a ball and not worry about the age difference. :)

To answer your question, if it's your dream then yes it's worth it! I also laughed at your comment about not planning on starting a family because I'm in that same boat. :roftl:

Haha! The idea of simply teaching kids appeals in one way, BUT - unless your listeners can reciprocate, think for themselves, critically analyse what you say, and offer new insights, then the teacher doesn't really get anything back. Sure, you get the joy of kids, the surprising intelligence and wit that comes out of them, and the disinterest in homework - but if I want that I'll HAVE kids :naughty: I reckon being a Philosophy lecturer would keep on teaching the lecturer too, year after year. I know we certainly tested my favourite aul Professor, more than once we twisted his thoughts into whole new ideas that gave him pause - THAT'S what I love.

I certainly have the passion, anyway :roftl:

Good point... Actually, some kids I've taught can reciprocate in a conversation, just not in the way you expect or want them to! :blink:

I'm not sure I'd go for philosophy... I may have considered studying in before the whole brain injury thing, but not now... I much prefer something sitting in front of my that I can look at...

No! The funny thing is, my mum is all for me gong and following my heart/passions...whereas I'm the one who's telling myself to go and do something sensible. :blink::naughty:

Weird...

Maybe you can find a way to do both? :dunno:

I'm in my Senior year of High School.

I know that I want to have a job of creative thinking. I love art, but I don't know if it will be just good as a hobby!

I'm considering being in graphic design, art therapy, or teaching art.

Graphic design would be pretty good if you're good at doing arty sort of stuff on computers...

You do use computers with graphic art, right? :blink:

How cool! I love reading about Egypt!

I think there's someone on here that is an archaeologist... one of the Spanish girls I think... anyways, you'd be able to find out who it was if you search for the archaelogy thread...

Anyways, I say go for it! You have to be happy with what you're doing, and surely there's someone that doesn't mind talking to someone a few years older than them..

Basically, it's worth it!

Those acting schools look nice on the resume, but I think it's important to get out and get some experience, that way you can develop your acting as you go..

I think the suggestion that someone made that you write your own play might be a good idea...

Thank you all for the response, and yes it is very important to get experience, but it would be much easier for me to get a good job here in this country if I go to one of those schools. And yes writing my own play would be a great way to “get out there” and get to know people, but I don’t know if I actually have talent enough to write a play on my own...

Thank you all for the response, and yes it is very important to get experience, but it would be much easier for me to get a good job here in this country if I go to one of those schools. And yes writing my own play would be a great way to “get out there” and get to know people, but I don’t know if I actually have talent enough to write a play on my own...

Getting into one of those schools would definitely mean many jobs for you in no-time, but many of the people who get in are already fairly established in the acting community. Of course you should audition just in case, but there are other ways. If you end up studying at some normal university you could join the drama groups or something like that...

Getting into one of those schools would definitely mean many jobs for you in no-time, but many of the people who get in are already fairly established in the acting community. Of course you should audition just in case, but there are other ways. If you end up studying at some normal university you could join the drama groups or something like that...

Yes, you’re totally right about everything you say here. :thumb_yello: I’m thinking about auditioning just to see if I have a chance. And if I don’t, use the year to get more experience, taking courses and so on, and maybe examine the different opportunities I have in schools around the world, trying to find one that fits me! :biggrin2: I’m already in a drama group, and I’ll continue playing there for fun until I have a new and better plan! Thanks for the feedback!

^ That's a good idea

I wish I could start all over again... I was supposed to study journalism or political science, but took psychology for a year just for fun. I found it very interesting and ended up with a bachelor degree in work psychology. Now I am taking my masters in change management and it's not that interesting anymore. My dream was/is definitely not to be a management consultant.

So after 4 years in university and thousands in debt, I still have no idea what I'm going to do with my life.

^ That's a good idea

I wish I could start all over again... I was supposed to study journalism or political science, but took psychology for a year just for fun. I found it very interesting and ended up with a bachelor degree in work psychology. Now I am taking my masters in change management and it's not that interesting anymore. My dream was/is definitely not to be a management consultant.

So after 4 years in university and thousands in debt, I still have no idea what I'm going to do with my life.

Oh… I see, but I personally think it’s never too late to change your mind and go a totally different direction. I’m soon becoming 18 years old, and I feel like I kind of get pushed into deciding what I want to do for the rest of my life now, just because I have to change school and choose a carrier direction, but why not take a chance and try something, you can always try something else if it comes out to be something you don’t want to do the rest of your life… My biggest dream right now is to become an actress, but I can’t say I know a 100% sure that it’s something I want to be the rest of my life. So my advice to you is really think about it, and if you still want to study journalism or political science, do it instead of wasting your time on a job you don’t like! :thumb_yello:

Weird...

Maybe you can find a way to do both? :dunno:

I hope so. That's why I'm considering editing/publishing/journalism, because I enjoy it, I'm damn good at it and I think it's be a lot more lucrative than singing. :naughty: Not that I ever want to give that up...I think the general plan for right now is to get a gig in a jazz bar or band on the side and if I get famous, well...great!

Thanks everyone for the advice! It's comforting to know that I'm not the only one who's confused, lol.

Yeah, I'm basically just studying this to have something to do while I try to figure things out. I just hope I'll figure it out soon.

That's exactly why I went to art school. You will figure it out. It has taken me 6 years of university to finally decide what I want to do!

So it seems lately as I look around MFC that there are a bunch of us asking the age-old question, "what am I doing with my life?"

Some people are already in careers and not sure if they want to stay with what they're doing. Some people have just finished school and with the current icky economy, are having a hard time getting into their chosen field. Others are still wondering which path to take, and considering all their options.

So, discuss. Where are you at? What are you doing with YOUR life? And if you've got it all figured out, tell us what you're doing and how you got there. :biggrin2:

Good thread and idea.

At the moment i am working at an online store and supervising the customer service and mail order departments.

Always loved working in customer service area but my biggest dream is to become a graphic designer a dream i hope to fullfill this year or in 2010.

Right now i am searching for places to apply to study more about graphic design and website development and make it a full time job. I have already a basic knowledge of it but need to develop it more in order to work in it.

Other then that i love traveling and am fortunate to say that in the past 3 years i traveled quite a lot.

I think the biggest achievement so far is just living my life finally on my terms and not how other people in my family think i should live my life, which was a big struggle for me till the past year, but there comes a point where family should realize you are not a little kid anymore and can make your own decisions. :)

How the hell do you write a covering letter for a CV? I'm only applying for a Christmas Job in a couple of shops, nothing grand. So far I have:

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am applying for any Christmas vacancies that you may have.

Having worked in the retail sector for 3 years, I have gained valuable experience in both sales and customer service and therefore believe I would be a valuable member to your team during the busiest time of the year.

Now what? :roftl:

How the hell do you write a covering letter for a CV? I'm only applying for a Christmas Job in a couple of shops, nothing grand. So far I have:

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am applying for any Christmas vacancies that you may have.

Having worked in the retail sector for 3 years, I have gained valuable experience in both sales and customer service and therefore believe I would be a valuable member to your team during the busiest time of the year.

Now what? :roftl:

I don't know how to say that in "proper" english, but you can add that you're sending your CV for them to check, and that you appreciate the attention they're giving you, etc.

Oh, I always start the letter with "My name is ... and I'm applying to...". But that's just a little detail, I guess the way you started it is good too. :wink2:

I don't know how to say that in "proper" english, but you can add that you're sending your CV for them to check, and that you appreciate the attention they're giving you, etc.

Oh, I always start the letter with "My name is ... and I'm applying to...". But that's just a little detail, I guess the way you started it is good too. :wink2:

My name's on the CV, no need to repeat it twice lol, plus when I sign off it'll have my name there, too...but thanks for trying to help!