REPORTS/VIDEOS/PHOTOS for MIKA @ Enmore SYDNEY Nov 24 2009

Blue Sky

Welcome to the MFC liins!

I am glad you didn't take a chance of snatching Mika's scarf & running off.

Mika might have chased you if he liked the scarf enough. :roftl::roftl:

haha it would have been a sight to see, but he looked so tired that i think he'd get someone else to chase after it.

he looked so tired i felt like making a bed on the ground & putting him to sleep.

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:blink::blink: i'm sort of confused.. what time of day did you run into Mika? Because his Mum told us (well at least me) that they all had to catch a flight at 8am the next morning :blink:

In fact, the rest of the gang all went ahead of Mika to Hong Kong. He arrived several hours later, at about midnight. Even so, fans were there at the airport waiting for him:aah:

*sigh* all the way through the thread.

i'm back in NZ now guys. and i hate it :tears:

That is commonly known as PMGD. Post Mika gig depression or just PGD for short. There is even a thread about it.

In fact, the rest of the gang all went ahead of Mika to Hong Kong. He arrived several hours later, at about midnight. Even so, fans were there at the airport waiting for him:aa h:

That is commonly known as PMGD. Post Mika gig depression or just PGD for short. There is even a thread about it.

Ohh, poor Mika! After Hong Kong/ Japan, does he have a break?

He was exhausted in Auz and i felt sorry for him.. i hope next time i see him he is not so tired.

You were "Mikified" for a short time which included tremendous joy!

:part ytime2::woot_j ump::woot_jump::yay:

You will survive - but you will never be the same.:fangurl:

I can tell that allready :roftl:

Oh dear :shocked: does this mean I'll have PMGD for the next year or so until I see him? :shocked::shocked: (i'm really gonna have to save hard - $10 a hour is not much for all the work i do, and i can't get a better job.. :blink: )

:huglove:

:biggrin2::huglove:

OK, need to go collect son from school. I will finish this later.:teehee:

Even though I'm not sure that anyone is reading... Oh well, it's been good to write it out, regardless.

Of course I'm reading!:wub2:

Part 6

Mika entered the room while I was talking to David and he had to say to me "Um, you know Mika's just walked in". LOL! And then all of a sudden I was shy about the thought of meeting Mika. I'd decided that I didn't want anything signed and I definitely didn't want a picture (I would have had to cut myself out of it), and was thinking about maybe asking for a hug, but wasn't really sure I'd get one, and so it was like I had nothing to say and no reason to meet him.

You have no idea how well I recognise that feeling! :roftl:

After Sadler's Wells I just sat down on a stair behind the signing session and watched people talking to Mika and they seemed to have so much to say to him! I don’t have that.:blush-anim-cl:

But when he came to Stockholm a young MFCer asked me to ask him some things because she was to shy to do it herself and then it felt very natural to speak to him!

Oh and a question :wink2: what does this mean: you don't know me from a bar of soap

Thank you for your long and detailed report, reading it was almost as being there, at least a little bit!:wub2:

Oh dear :shocked: does this mean I'll have PMGD for the next year or so until I see him? :shocked::shocked: (i'm really gonna have to save hard - $10 a hour is not much for all the work i do, and i can't get a better job.. :blink: )

:biggrin2::huglove:

Yes racinghorse83 - Post Mika Gig Depression better known as PMGD is now recognized as an International Psychiatric Condition!

It won't kill you.

It does however leave you wanting your Mika Fix!

The only known cure is to attend a Mika Gig as quickly as possible.

Dr John is finally up on youtube...

Thank you mici.

Another great Mika performance! I loved it!

You Aussies & New Zealanders sure made Mika welcome!!:thumb_yello::thumb_yello:

Mika wows Sydney with his one-off gig

Mika-wows-Sydney-with-his-one-off-gig-98650.jpg

They say that God worked really bloody hard and rested on the last day. I’m pretty sure that before he put his feet up, he sat on a rainbow and out popped Mika. If I ever meet the big guy, I’m going to shake his hand and thank him… because the colourful muso makes the world a better place.

I’ve seen a hell of a lot of gigs in my time but two always sit at the top of the list:

1. Scissor Sisters ‘Red’ gig, on the steps of London’s Trafalgar Square.

2. Peter Combe’s “Newspaper Mama” effect at Adelaide Schutzenfest.

One was a visual spectacle that made a big city crowd unite in dance and the other took a festival full of adults and transported them back to the uncomplicated joy of childhood. Last night, at Sydney’s Enmore Theatre, Mika managed both. In fact, he knocked old Pete into third place.

Success wasn’t instant for Mika and for some, he was an acquired taste. As Mika explained to Nova, Simon Cowell was one of them. When the aspiring artist showed him the first of his material, Cowell told him that his voice was special but the songs weren’t good enough.

The straight talker was right, Mika took his advice and what evolved was the colourful package of tunes that Mika presented to Sydney’s jam-packed crowd. The former waiter was always going to serve up a feast for the senses; as he explained to us ahead of the gig, his fans are asked for their creative input. This time round, ‘outer space’ was the pick of the day.

Before he launched into the first of an 18 song set, we’d already witnessed a space shuttle crash, Sir Ian McKellen, Mika's 'death', Mika in a full space suit and to the crowd’s delight, his bare torso.

“Relax (Take It Easy)” kicked things off, followed by “Big Girls You Are Beautiful” (complete with four rotund dancing girls in fluro pink and yellow tutus). Bums shook, cellulite wobbled and our bingo wings waved high in appreciation. It was a dose of happiness that’d make Oscar the Grouch ditch his garbage can and head for the dance floor.

“Three years ago we came to Australia, had a one-night stand and then f***** off. It’s an honor to be back”.

Mika worked a checkered/striped suit and blue sequins plastered across his forehead. Other props included a feather crown, a giant kettle, fluro tribal masks and a vibrant light show that swooped us up and took us to another galaxy. It wasn’t all fun and games though; Mika’s bubble wrapped tunes cushion serious lyrics stirred by a rough life journey. Whether it was solo at the keyboard or backed by an equally talented and engaging band, Mika’s five-octave range traversed older songs from Life In Cartoon Motion and newer material from his new album The Boy Who Knew Too Much. Most recognisable were “We Are Golden” and “Rain” (yep, the one you heard at the Idol grand final). The majority of the crowd however, knew the words to every song.

It was the oldies that hit the spot though; “Happy Ending” provoked a moving singalong, “Grace Kelly” a dance-off and “Love Today” a mass bounce-athon. The level of crowd interaction was astounding and unlike anything I've ever seen before. Perhaps it was childhood moments re-visted but more likely, it was down to the crowd banter, eye-contact and Mika’s devotion to his fans. Crap work days, bounced cheques, bad hair-days – the trivialities of life were cast aside for two glorious hours.

The highlights? “The world’s finest trumpet solo” with Mika using his voice to mimic trad jazz impro and a very human moment; “I have a confession to make… I think it’s jetlag but I’ve forgotten the key to the next song and none of my f***** band are going to help me”.

By the time giant lips lit up the backdrop and giant white balloons burst out over the crowd, “Lollipop” was upon us and we danced it out with adoration in our eyes. Mika is due back in 2010 for a tour that’ll blow the cobwebs out of the daily grind. In the meantime, all you waiters with dreams should take inspiration from this unique artist, gather your tips and don’t look back.

http://www.novafm.com.au/Article_Mika-wows-Sydney-with-his-one-off-gig_95763?site=Nova100

Edited by mari62

They say that God worked really bloody hard and rested on the last day. I’m pretty sure that before he put his feet up, he sat on a rainbow and out popped Mika.

Someone's a big fangurl. Wonder if they joined MFC yet? :teehee:

Mika wows Sydney with his one-off gig

Mika-wows-Sydney-with-his-one-off-gig-98650.jpg

They say that God worked really bloody hard and rested on the last day. I’m pretty sure that before he put his feet up, he sat on a rainbow and out popped Mika. If I ever meet the big guy, I’m going to shake his hand and thank him… because the colourful muso makes the world a better place.

I’ve seen a hell of a lot of gigs in my time but two always sit at the top of the list:

1. Scissor Sisters ‘Red’ gig, on the steps of London’s Trafalgar Square.

2. Peter Combe’s “Newspaper Mama” effect at Adelaide Schutzenfest.

One was a visual spectacle that made a big city crowd unite in dance and the other took a festival full of adults and transported them back to the uncomplicated joy of childhood. Last night, at Sydney’s Enmore Theatre, Mika managed both. In fact, he knocked old Pete into third place.

The majority of the crowd however, knew the words to every song. The level of crowd interaction was astounding and unlike anything I've ever seen before. Perhaps it was childhood moments re-visted but more likely, it was down to the crowd banter, eye-contact and Mika’s devotion to his fans. Crap work days, bounced cheques, bad hair-days – the trivialities of life were cast aside for two glorious hours.

The highlights? “The world’s finest trumpet solo” with Mika using his voice to mimic trad jazz impro and a very human moment; “I have a confession to make… I think it’s jetlag but I’ve forgotten the key to the next song and none of my f***** band are going to help me”.

http://www.novafm.com.au/Article_Mika-wows-Sydney-with-his-one-off-gig_95763?site=Nova100

Thank you Marina!:thumb_yello:

I kept some of the highlights I really like.

The review is super!:thumb_yello::thumb_yello:

Australia & Hong Kong are half a world away - but with every report & every review I read they take me there!

Bravo Mika! Kudos Mika!

Edited by Kodes100

*sigh* all the way through the thread.

i'm back in NZ now guys. and i hate it :tears:

Aw, Charlie :huglove:

Dr John is finally up on youtube...

Oh dear and damn. I think I've just become a Patrick Wolf fan.

Watching his new vid on RAGE.

Lovely. :wub2:

No, I dont sleep. Sleep is for wusses.

Yeah, you go girl...:mf_rosetinted:

Of course I'm reading!:wub2:

You have no idea how well I recognise that feeling! :roftl:

After Sadler's Wells I just sat down on a stair behind the signing session and watched people talking to Mika and they seemed to have so much to say to him! I don’t have that.:blush-anim-cl:

But when he came to Stockholm a young MFCer asked me to ask him some things because she was to shy to do it herself and then it felt very natural to speak to him!

Oh and a question :wink2: what does this mean: you don't know me from a bar of soap

Thank you for your long and detailed report, reading it was almost as being there, at least a little bit!:wub2:

I'm so glad I'm not the only one to feel like that.

Oh, and the expression you don't know me from a bar of soap, means that I am a stranger to him, that he knows nothing about me to differentiate me from a bar of soap (and bars of soap mostly tend to be fairly bland and uniform in appearance).

I'm so glad I'm not the only one to feel like that.

Oh, and the expression you don't know me from a bar of soap, means that I am a stranger to him, that he knows nothing about me to differentiate me from a bar of soap (and bars of soap mostly tend to be fairly bland and uniform in appearance).

Ah thanks!:thumb_yello:

Never heard it before...I'm learning new things every day in this place!:roftl:

Im usually really really shy so the fact I got on a plane full of strangers made it through customs and shared a hostel room with a group of crazy MFCers was a milestone on its own. Granted in some ways it feels like I know you all already!

So I spent the first night with my aunty and cousins who are quite a lot older than me but we are technicaly the same generation!

On getting on the train which I was told went all the way to centeral I was dumped at a station I soon realised was NOT centeral...nor was it where I had come from...I didn’t know where I was and started to freak out! In a strange town in a strange country! Once I realised I needed the area code to text everyone I got messages in reply wanting to know if I was still alive! I was albeit a little bit lost! I got another train which took me into centeral where I got lost again!

I told mouselle I was there and she came to get me...except I couldn’t figure out which exit was the right one. So I text her telling her “im at newslink” little did I know she was standing at newslink too...on the other side of the station. I didn’t know there were at least 2-3 newslink stores in centeral station!

Eventually after many texts and confusion I got found! Walked up with all my bags to the hostel, had some food at maccas (don’t even get me started on the guy at maccas) then joined the fanclub for karaoke, for which I soon decided the book was a bit dyslexic.

after vowing NOT to sing I was soon dragged into it...from the likes of dancing queen to grace kwelly (thats how it was spelt) and a very tame and censored version of the timewarp. My father decided to call but I couldn’t hear my phone over the sound of 20something fans singing aloud to love today!

After we got kicked out of the karaoke, we went to mcd’s for foodz! I somehow got landed with the short seat...so short I felt like a kid looking over a counter!

On the way back most of us decided to go to woollies and descover there is something being filmed infront of the queen statue...all I could see was someone cooking something! Not that interesting we decided! After returning to the dorm and swapping a few beds around (thanks moni) we finally went to sleep around 1am...until my father called me at 3am woundering why I wasn’t replying to his texts! I got so mad at him texting and callin I was like DUDE let me sleep!

Edited by RosinaKiwi

Im usually really really shy so the fact I got on a plane full of strangers made it through customs and shared a hostel room with a group of crazy MFCers was a milestone on its own. Granted in some ways it feels like I know you all already!

So I spent the first night with my aunty and cousins who are quite a lot older than me but we are technicaly the same generation!

On getting on the train which I was told went all the way to centeral I was dumped at a station I soon realised was NOT centeral...nor was it where I had come from...I didn’t know where I was and started to freak out! In a strange town in a strange country! Once I realised I needed the area code to text everyone I got messages in reply wanting to know if I was still alive! I was albeit a little bit lost! I got another train which took me into centeral where I got lost again!

I told mouselle I was there and she came to get me...except I couldn’t figure out which exit was the right one. So I text her telling her “im at newslink” little did I know she was standing at newslink too...on the other side of the station. I didn’t know there were at least 2-3 newslink stores in centeral station!

Eventually after many texts and confusion I got found! Walked up with all my bags to the hostel, had some food at maccas (don’t even get me started on the guy at maccas) then joined the fanclub for karaoke, for which I soon decided the book was a bit dyslexic.

after vowing NOT to sing I was soon dragged into it...from the likes of dancing queen to grace kwelly (thats how it was spelt) and a very tame and censored version of the timewarp. My father decided to call but I couldn’t hear my phone over the sound of 20something fans singing aloud to love today!

After we got kicked out of the karaoke, we went to mcd’s for foodz! I somehow got landed with the short seat...so short I felt like a kid looking over a counter!

On the way back most of us decided to go to woollies and descover there is something being filmed infront of the queen statue...all I could see was someone cooking something! Not that interesting we decided! After returning to the dorm and swapping a few beds around (thanks moni) we finally went to sleep around 1am...until my father called me at 3am woundering why I wasn’t replying to his texts! I got so mad at him texting and callin I was like DUDE let me sleep!

We got kicked out of the karaoke did we? Gee, there was me just thinking that our time was up and it was time for us to leave:mf_rosetinted: