MIKA @ Eden Sessions, Cornwall (The Freaks Find Home Tour)

robertina

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

off to my kids school in a bit to start cutting hundreds of bread rolls for their summer fayre BBQ today, then off to cornwall we come (coming with my friend Zoe).... hope to get to Wetherspoons for a drink or two this evening but tbh not really sure where it is and also only have Jazzys phone no.

See you all later/tomorrow xx

Here in St. Austell Sun!!! See you in the evening :clap:

a link she sent me :wink2:

thanks Allegra! enjoy the sun :bye:

http://www.thisiscornwall.co.uk/news/Mika-8211-Marmite-pop/article-2338713-detail/article.html

Mika – the Marmite of pop

MIKA is promising a theatrical performance with a difference at the Eden Project on Sunday.

But it won't be on the grand scale of his recent world tour as he's well aware of the ecological limitations.

The pop star – born Michael Holbrook Penniman Jr – spoke to me from Lisbon following the final date of his critically acclaimed arena tour.

"I've just performed 100 dates of what is a really ambitious show – it's more like opera in scale. I'm so happy because I've never had better reviews."

The tour, which features circus performers and all manner of spectacle, has been choreographed by Anthony Van Laast MBE, famed for his work on Bombay Dreams and Mamma Mia!

"The show I'm bringing to Cornwall will be scaled down as I don't think bringing 15 trucks to the Eden Project is environmentally sound!"

He added: "It will still be very theatrical though."

Mika is no stranger to Eden having visited as a punter with his family. "It's an amazing place but I've never been to any of the concerts.

"The Eden Sessions are quite unique in the UK – in Europe you have more festivals that are held over different nights, but it's quite unusual in England."

He's come a long way in a short time – it was only back in January 2007 when he topped the BBC poll for the act to watch out for that year.

The pollsters weren't wrong – the boy with the three-and-a-half-octave range went on to have massive success with the likes of Grace Kelly, Love Today and Lollipop (a song which is the scourge of everyone with kids of a certain age) and the multi-million selling camp pop masterpiece Life In Cartoon Motion album.

In September 2009 he released his second album The Boy Who Knew Too Much, which he admitted was "part two" of his debut, again dealing with his adolescence. The critics weren't kind and despite catchy singles like We Are Golden it didn't sell as well.

A pop star who obviously reads his press, he was quick to put the record straight when I asked him about its perceived failure: "It actually did get good reviews across Europe and the rest of the world, it was just in the UK where it received a mixed reception. The album sold 1.5 million copies which any artist would kill for.

"I don't analyse what I do – I make the music I want to make and it provokes extreme reactions. I go my own way –I may well be the Marmite of pop."

Mika's now writing his third album – an "ambitious record which won't necessarily be a big multi-coloured album like the last one".

How about heading down the Rufus Wainwright route and writing an opera?

"I love Rufus but that's one thing I would never do. I have been asked to write a musical but I'm not ready yet – in the future maybe...."

Mika, with support from Diana Vickers, plays the Eden Sessions on Sunday. See http://www.edenproject.com for details.

Freak numbers 12 and 19 checking in! We're still on the coach,about 2 hours from Plymouth! Then, train into St Austell! We've been on it since 11pm last night and are ready for a drink tonight!! We'll be in wetherspoons between 7-8pm....don't know how we will find everyone but we'll wing it!

Have so much fun you guys. Freaks #1 ~ whatever number it goes up to:naughty:

Can't wait to hear all the reports....should be a LOT of reports to plough through:thumb_yello:

How many Freaks are going to this???

No matter how many, have a blast, we'll be here awaiting loads and loads of reports and pics and vids...

Don't forget your sunscreen, guys...and help Rose carry out Freddie in the end...:lmao:

I think we're getting there about lunchtime aren't we?

I don't think there's any need to get there any earlier.

i really wanna meet someone but im not getting there till about 5

would anyone be willing to say hi !!!!

p.s never been to the eden project before and i don't wanna get lost !

Freak 15 :insane: checking in. Not leaving till tomorrow morning but I wanted to join in :blush-anim-cl:

Only 50p for 24 hours internet on my phone so I definitely going to be using that tomorrow. Will keep MFC and twitter updated all day.

My ankle is almost better, can walk fine, just up and down stairs that hurt now :thumb_yello: Won't be bringing the crutches with me :)

Hope everyone who is leaving today/has already left has a good trip down :D See you all tomorrow afternoon!

I'm here in Cornwall now and the weather was fantastic today:biggrin2:

I can't meet up with the others tonight because I'm staying about an hour away from Eden with my family. I can't wait for tomorrow, it's going to be great!

Heck, Cornwall's far! I left work AGES ago and I'm still not there yet! See you all tomorrow. I will be the one without a Freaks t-shirt because I never got it together with the list thingy. Bad fan!!!!

Archived