Mika's new "kick-ass" single

LilStar

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I absolutely love this song. The video is great too. Simple, but effective. Mika looks soo hot with those nerd glasses. :wub2: (and the mud and blood on his face:naughty:).

I usually don't like it when he pulls his hair back, but now I see that the glasses were the thing that was missing.

He looks so sophisticated and intellectual, but sexy at the same time.:teehee:

His voice sounds so powerful and different, I think the combination between the low notes and the high ones in the chorus is brilliant. And yes, the theme of the song reminds me of We Are Golden, but this song is whole lot better than WAG IMO. :bleh:

I think Mika should definitely have RedOne as a producer of his 3rd album. The collaboration of the two is obviously very productive and successful. I hope this makes a huge hit. :wub2:

It's more the lyrics than the sound that we're comparing. They both have the empowering "We" theme.

*agrees* :thumb_yello:

it is the 'theme' that we are comparing, not the melody, and perhaps also about how best to convey the same message in an upbeat song without trying it too hard.

I think Mika should definitely have RedOne as a producer of his 3rd album. The collaboration of the two is obviously very productive and successful.

I agree only with the second sentence and only concerning up tempo Euro beat songs. However, Mika has more to offer than that. I wouldn't mind him experiencing with different producers on different songs but we should not forget about Greg's merits. Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses - it is the right balance that needs to be found.

After all, Mika's best songs have all been co-produced by Greg. Let's not forget about that. I like Greg :wub2:

Edited by suzie

it is the 'theme' that we are comparing, not the melody, and perhaps also about how best to convey the same message in an upbeat song without trying it too hard.

I agree only with the second sentence and only concerning up tempo Euro beat songs. However, Mika has more to offer than that. I wouldn't mind him experiencing with different producers on different songs but we should not forget about Greg's merits. Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses - it is the right balance that needs to be found. After all, the best songs of Mika have all been co-produced by Greg. Let's not forget about that. I like Greg :wub2:

* agrees with the bolded part *

The way some of the others are talking, it sounds like they think they're similar in more ways than just that.

I'd say they were more similar than that- not that I'm trying to convert anyone. They're both about a group of people that don't fit in, but inisist that that's a strength. Only IMO Kick Ass' languge is more generic. In fact, I even wondered if WAG was the reason he got asked to do the movie song ("Only- could ya make it a bit less... weird... you know? And wtf's a magpie, anyway?)

(On reflection, I'd better put in a disclaimer here- I love Kick Ass, but I always thought that WAG was very strong lyrically as well as great live)

In KA the singer is "strong" in WAG he's "golden"

KA- "not cool"; WAG- "runnning around like a clown on purpose"

KA- "we're not trying to belong"; WAG- "I live for glitter not you"

KA-"we are young"; WAG- "teenage dreams in a teenage circus"

KA live- epic sing along; WAG live- audience also get to shout

KA vid- uncool guy huddles in a corner artisticly bruised; WAG vid- uncool guy dances uninhibitedly in his boxers

KA vid- free guy takes off glasses, puts a lot of mousse on his hair and changes his white trousers for black ones; WAG vid- free guy has no-end of flashy costumes, including a crocodile headdress, a gimp mask and (my fave) a cape made out of knitted iced buns resembling tits

Ideas also in WAG but not in KA: "looking for tresasure in the things that you threw, I'm a magpie..." "a boy at an open door" "no giving up when you're you're young and you want some

In KA but not WAG "running with blood on our knees"

Edited by Soaring Simpson

I'd say they were more similar than that- not that I'm trying to convert anyone. They're both about a group of people that don't fit in, but inisist that that's a strength. Only IMO Kick Ass' languge is more generic.

I'd say that's the main similarity :thumb_yello: I wholeheartedly agree with you.

I'd say they were more similar than that- not that I'm trying to convert anyone. They're both about a group of people that don't fit in, but inisist that that's a strength. Only IMO Kick Ass' languge is more generic. In fact, I even wondered if WAG was the reason he got asked to do the movie song ("Only- could ya make it a bit less... weird... you know? And wtf's a magpie, anyway?)

(On reflection, I'd better put in a disclaimer here- I love Kick Ass, but I always thought that WAG was very strong lyrically as well as great live)

In KA the singer is "strong" in WAG he's "golden"

KA- "not cool"; WAG- "runnning around like a clown on purpose"

KA- "we're not trying to belong"; WAG- "I live for glitter not you"

KA-"we are young"; WAG- "teenage dreams in a teenage circus"

KA live- epic sing along; WAG live- audience also get to shout

KA vid- uncool guy huddles in a corner artisticly bruised; WAG vid- uncool guy dances uninhibitedly in his boxers

KA vid- free guy takes off glasses, puts a lot of mousse on his hair and changes his white trousers for black ones; WAG vid- free guy has no-end of flashy costumes, including a crocodile headdress, a gimp mask and (my fave) a cape made out of knitted iced buns resembling tits

Ideas also in WAG but not in KA: "looking for tresasure in the things that you threw, I'm a magpie..." "a boy at an open door" "no giving up when you're you're young and you want some

I like KA, but it's not a patch on WAG, either musically or lyrically or visually (ie the video - I prefer boxers to bruises any day :bleh:)

Do we know for sure who wrote it? was it Mika? or was he just asked to sing?

The production sounds like everything else out there at the moment, and if Mika decided all his music should sound like this, I would stop listening eventually (although I'd probably still watch the videos :blush-anim-cl:)

I like KA and I hope it does well, but I prefer Mika when he is being Mika :wub2:

I think Mika should definitely have RedOne as a producer of his 3rd album. The collaboration of the two is obviously very productive and successful. I hope this makes a huge hit. :wub2:

I think having RedOne producing a few songs would be awesome... I told him that he should collaborate with Mika more often too! :naughty:

After all, Mika's best songs have all been co-produced by Greg. Let's not forget about that. I like Greg :wub2:

I never said that the melody was what you were comparing. I don't think it's exactly the same message either, but anyways :bleh:

I agree about that bit with Greg... he is awesome, and he's produced some awesome songs for other artists (main one that comes to my mind is Hanson :wub:)

I do like you SoSi, but I have to pick at what you've just said :naughty:

I guess if you put it that way, then yes they are similar, but let's look at the overarching themes of both songs (this is something I don't usually do, cause I find that it ruins songs for me, but I'll do it to get my point across).

1. In KA the singer is "strong" in WAG he's "golden"

2. KA- "not cool"; WAG- "runnning around like a clown on purpose"

3. KA- "we're not trying to belong"; WAG- "I live for glitter not you"

4. KA-"we are young"; WAG- "teenage dreams in a teenage circus"

5. KA live- epic sing along; WAG live- audience also get to shout

6. KA vid- uncool guy huddles in a corner artisticly bruised; WAG vid- uncool guy dances uninhibitedly in his boxers

7. KA vid- free guy takes off glasses, puts a lot of mousse on his hair and changes his white trousers for black ones; WAG vid- free guy has no-end of flashy costumes, including a crocodile headdress, a gimp mask and (my fave) a cape made out of knitted iced buns resembling tits

I've numbered your points to help what I'm referring to...

1. I'm not convinced that golden necessarily refers to being strong... I'm not sure how to explain myself though... I'll get back to you on that point if I can describe it adequately...

2. Alright, I guess that kind of fits. sort of.

3. Alright, this one does fit.

4. Young might not refer to teenage... I'm young, and I'm Mika's age.

5. Yes, very true.

6. Where did you get this idea : "uncool guy huddles in a corner artisticly bruised"? Is that from the film clip of from the song? I certainly didn't get that impression.

I don't necessarily agree with Mika being referred to as "uncool" because he's wearing glasses. Also, if you follow the story of the film clip, we can assume he was mugged... and lets face it, in most large cities there is a possibility of getting mugged. Besides, the whole uncool guy dancing in his undies... he was dancing in his undies in his room... It's more a private thing than a public thing. I take dancing in his undies as a sign of celebrating his uniqueness, albeit in a private way...

7. There's a big difference - 2 costumes for Mika in KA, versus 50 million costumes in WAG.

Not sure what to say about this...

Anyways...

Mika has said that WAG is about giving himself a sense of self worth. It's a real affirming song (if that makes sense). I think it really hits the mark with what being a teenager is like, and figuring out that it is okay to be a little different from the crowd. The working out who you are as a teenager is the biggest theme of WAG IMO.

Obviously this is my opinion, but I think the biggest difference with KA is that he is saying that he is fine the way he is, that he doesn't have to change to be anyone else and that others don't understand him and that is fine. I bit of an up yours to people who don't understand him if you will. In KA, he seems more sure of himself, and of who he is as a man. I certainly don't see it as a "teenage" song, as (to me) there aren't any real doubting moments like there are in WAG.

If I had to say there was a similarity, I would say that both talk about being unapologetic about who you are.

I will accept that there are some surface similarities between the two songs, but you could say the same about KA and GK.

If someone can convince me that they are very similar, then good on them... oh, and SoSi? Well done! You did give me some things to think about.

Yesterday I mentioned KA has an eighties ring to it, like a DuraDuran song.

I also think it has an air of this song, not that it sound exactely the same but the feeling is a bit a like:

Oh gawd that is one of the worst songs ever made. :aah:

I don't think Kick-Ass is one of the best songs that Mika's ever written but what I love about it is that it DOESN'T sound like some 80s rehash. I agree with Suzie that we don't want every single Mika song to have a RedOne stamp all over it but he could certainly do with modernizing his songs in this way. Then the songs that are great will have the potential to be great hits. He cannot afford to make LICM III with all these "big-sounding 80s" tracks. He has to move on if he wants to have any staying power in pop music.

The way some of the others are talking, it sounds like they think they're similar in more ways than just that.

I was saying that to someone the other night. He did that showcase for movie/TV people last June and I wouldn't be surprised if he was more or less commissioned to make another WAG after they heard it.

I think the lyrics of Kick Ass are just a more l literal depiction of the concepts he discusses when referring to WAG and TBWKTM in interviews. I really wouldn't know exactly what he meant with the "golden" talk if he hadn't explained it repeatedly. But "we are young, we are strong, we're not looking for where we belong" is the same concept yet totally self-explanatory.

I like KA, but it's not a patch on WAG, either musically or lyrically or visually (ie the video - I prefer boxers to bruises any day :bleh:)

Do we know for sure who wrote it? was it Mika? or was he just asked to sing?

The production sounds like everything else out there at the moment, and if Mika decided all his music should sound like this, I would stop listening eventually (although I'd probably still watch the videos :blush-anim-cl:)

I like KA and I hope it does well, but I prefer Mika when he is being Mika :wub2:

Visually I think WAG is overstimulating... partly cause of the boxers!

I think they both have their good points and bad points. Personally, I'm not a hug fan of the tweaking that was done with his voice in KA, but TBH I'm getting a bit tired of WAG right now. I much prefer the music in KA.

I doubt he'd just sing on a song... he had to at least have co-wrote it.

I don't think it sounds like everything else out there. Sure, it sounds a wee bit Gaga-esque (but I put that down to him working with RedOne), but I think it still sounds like Mika. I bet that if he'd used the same lyrics but had a different producer (for arguments sake lets say Greg Wells) it would be more in line with what the rest of TBWKTM sounds like... This is more electronic, rather than using real instuments...

I personally think it sounds great. It's a hell of a lot different to what he's done previously, yet it still holds the Mika sound (if that makes any sense).

I think that if it sounds more like "everything else out there" then that can be a good thing. It should bring in a lot of newer fans that might not have given any thought to listening to him. And I think it's good for him to be working with other producers, you don't want him to be relying too much on one producer for the rest of his career.

Nono said she saw Mika and Jodi Marr listed in the credits when she saw the movie.

Thanks - I'd missed that nugget :biggrin2:

It certainly fits with his own themes, as well as the themes of the movie (as far as I can tell by reading about it).

As a one-off I like it, but I'm glad Mika has a wide variety of styles :biggrin2: (although I suspect that may hinder him in some people's eyes becasue they can't pin him down)

I don't think Kick-Ass is one of the best songs that Mika's ever written but what I love about it is that it DOESN'T sound like some 80s rehash. I agree with Suzie that we don't want every single Mika song to have a RedOne stamp all over it but he could certainly do with modernizing his songs in this way. Then the songs that are great will have the potential to be great hits. He cannot afford to make LICM III with all these "big-sounding 80s" tracks. He has to move on if he wants to have any staying power in pop music.

I totally agree with the bold bit. He can't afford to just "remake" the same songs... he needs to branch out a bit, do some different things...

I was saying that to someone the other night. He did that showcase for movie/TV people last June and I wouldn't be surprised if he was more or less commissioned to make another WAG after they heard it.

I hope not.

I personally think that the song is good enough to stand on its own instead of being compared to WAG.

I guess I'm the only one who thinks they're not that similar (wow, big surprise)... May as well quit arguing now...

I hope not.

I personally think that the song is good enough to stand on its own instead of being compared to WAG.

The audience for this movie will not be comparing it to WAG because I'm sure 95%+ of them will have never heard it.

Nono said she saw Mika and Jodi Marr listed in the credits when she saw the movie.

okay, thanks :thumb_yello: I was wondering that too.

I can't tell how much more I love this vid than I love WAG vid... That look is just adorable :blush-anim-cl: And it seems for me too that the message is a bit same as in WAG but told in more mainstream way (sorry can't say that in proper English). But I haven't read lyrics so carefully, going to do it now.

I think this suits for a soundtrack perfectly, but I prefer him keeping his songs a bit more of his own style generally speaking...