REPORTS/PICS/VIDEOS: Mika @ Gasometer, Vienna, Austria - March 29 2010

Droopsy

I thought I share my little creation with you guys. After the show I had lots of confetti falling inside my bag and also sticked on me (I'm sure you all had too:biggrin2:) and I didn't want to throw them all away so...here's what I made from them ˇˇˇˇ

DSCF1260.jpg

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well that's just it ... you don't discuss it ... it just happens ... or it should ... and it was the Suzie told us to refrain from this etc etc etc that got my goat ... you can't tell people anything ... if she used the wrong words fine ... but that makes it sound like a one-sided conversation ...

:blink:

Well, I would have preferred full sentences in your reply because I don't really understand the use of broken sentences but I will try to reply to what I think you mean.

Re. "one-sided conversation" - are you analysing our posts now?

Bianka is not online now to confirm but as far as I am aware we both had a great time , often coordinating our jumping together action during the gig and had a chat after the show, too.

What is your part in our conversation if I may ask?

it get's my goat when I read threads where people are saying - people shouldn't sing along to this song - or people shouldn't do this or shout out anything at this point of the gig ...

This we can discuss. I posted previously (perhaps first after the Belfast gig) that in my opinion people shouldn't sing along to Toy Boy. What's more, I can add that I don't think they should clap, either. It obviously comes from the fact that some of Mika's songs root in classical music and he uses a voice technique that is used in classical singing. Some people, even though they have never attended a classical concert, automatically hold their breath while listening to such songs, while others start clapping. I can't change people's reaction but I suppose I am free to express my opinion on why I would prefer listening to Mika's voice only during certain songs. Anyone can disagree with it and do otherwise :dunno: I posted this because I thought some open minded people might think about it and if they agree, they can act accordingly.

However, I do not necessarily think that people should do just as they please at gigs. At slow numbers, for example, they should not even be talking, let alone shout or scream during songs like OMS. I can't do much about that, of course, other than consider those people some dumb trouble makers. I never saw any MFCers misbehave and especially not like that. I simply point it out as an example where your behaviour should be adjusted to the performace you listen to. When you are at a Mika gig it is not the same as listening to a band in a pub.

Edited by suzie

Well that's just it ... you don't discuss it ... it just happens ... or it should ... and it was the Suzie told us to refrain from this etc etc etc that got my goat ... you can't tell people anything ... if she used the wrong words fine ... but that makes it sound like a one-sided conversation ... it get's my goat when I read threads where people are saying - people shouldn't sing along to this song - or people shouldn't do this or shout out anything at this point of the gig ... just for the record ... I go to gigs to enjoy myself - maybe some members of the MFC would like to supply placards to tell us when to clap, cheer etc ... seems to be heading that way to me :(

Wow! I find this talk very rich, considering that you thought that it was a good idea to tell ME that I should refrain from commenting on Mika's puppet (at gigs which you did not attend,may I add). Maybe you should have the same set of standards for yourself as for others?

I have had the pleasure to get to know Suzie very well lately, and she's one of the most polite, gentle and respectful people that I've met around here, so I find this sort of attack on her very unfounded and wrong.

I thought I share my little creation with you guys. After the show I had lots of confetti falling inside my bag and also sticked on me (I'm sure you all had too:biggrin2:) and I didn't want to throw them all away so...here's what I made from them ˇˇˇˇ

DSCF1260.jpg

That's so cute!! :fangurl::fangurl: I love how artsy we are here :wub2:

I posted previously (perhaps first after the Belfast gig) that in my opinion people shouldn't sing along to Toy Boy. What's more, I can add that I don't think they should clap, either.

I really hate it when people sing along to Toy Boy - it's Mika I want to hear , not them :sneaky2:

:aah: And as for clapping along to Toy Boy :thumbdown: - well, I might take a cleaver to my next gig :wink2:

I really hate it when people sing along to Toy Boy - it's Mika I want to hear , not them :sneaky2:

:aah: And as for clapping along to Toy Boy :thumbdown: - well, I might take a cleaver to my next gig :wink2:

This conversation is so embarassing...

we're actually talking about how to act at a C O N C E R T??

This conversation is so embarassing...

we're actually talking about how to act at a C O N C E R T??

I think that people should behave at a gig with the same standards and respect that they use in other situations. I was at a gig where Mika's voice could not be heard during ToyBoy because people were clapping and shouting. Some songs (quiet, slow ones) are really ruined by that sort of 'audience participation'.

Also, I do think that the artist gives the cue. Mika and band request clapping for certain songs, and it's never for OMS or ToyBoy. It's not coincidental.

DSCF1260.jpg

Ohh what a nice memory of the gig :wub2:

This we can discuss. I posted previously (perhaps first after the Belfast gig) that in my opinion people shouldn't sing along to Toy Boy. What's more, I can add that I don't think they should clap, either.

I couldn't agree more. It annoys me to no end if people sing along to Toy Boy and clap (preferrably completely out of time, too. But I thought that is a German phenomenon).

Talking over OMS or singing along (well trying to) should be illegal. :doh:

However, I do not necessarily think that people should do just as they please at gigs. At slow numbers, for example, they should not even be talking, let alone shout or scream during songs like OMS. I can't do much about that, of course, other than consider those people some dumb trouble makers. I never saw any MFCers misbehave and especially not like that. I simply point it out as an example where your behaviour should be adjusted to the performace you listen to. When you are at a Mika gig it is not the same as listening to a band in a pub.

Until now I had few situations where people were really misbehaving so badly that it nearly spoiled my gig experience. Astonishingly, there seems to be a common understanding for what to do and what not to do to a certain point.

I specifically remember the acoustic gig in Berlin last summer. Where people seemed to even avoid breathing in the beginning. That was quite special.

Also, I do think that the artist gives the cue. Mika and band request clapping for certain songs, and it's never for OMS or ToyBoy. It's not coincidental.

This is a very good point IMO. In case of doubt, watch the band.

This thread is solely for those who attended the gig and want to report. If you'd like to register complaints in a new thread about concert etiquette, be my guest. Good day. :original:

I disagree. I do think commenting on reports and discussing certain general aspects that apply to every gig and not only the one specifically mentioned in the title should be allowed. Even if you didn't attend that gig. It's not random chatter after all and isn't that why the front page is updated with links to the reports? Those who only want to read about the gig can easily find what they're looking for. Those who like to comment should have the right to do so.

I disagree. I do think commenting on reports and discussing certain general aspects that apply to every gig and not only the one specifically mentioned in the title should be allowed. Even if you didn't attend that gig. It's not random chatter after all and isn't that why the front page is updated with links to the reports? Those who only want to read about the gig can easily find what they're looking for. Those who like to comment should have the right to do so.

I don't really see the point in discussing it at all. People are going to behave however they want at gigs. Lecturing them like children won't do anything but cause more bickering.

I couldn't agree more. It annoys me to no end if people sing along to Toy Boy and clap (preferrably completely out of time, too. But I thought that is a German phenomenon).

Talking over OMS or singing along (well trying to) should be illegal. :doh:

Until now I had few situations where people were really misbehaving so badly that it nearly spoiled my gig experience. Astonishingly, there seems to be a common understanding for what to do and what not to do to a certain point.

I specifically remember the acoustic gig in Berlin last summer. Where people seemed to even avoid breathing in the beginning. That was quite special.

This is a very good point IMO. In case of doubt, watch the band.

I dont agree with the thread drifting off for 2 pages if people should sing or not to certain songs and heading off into bickering .. thats not the purpose of these threads ..

Thats why the chatter threads are kept open that can be used for more of the random off tangent things and this thread more focused , otherwise as you know being on the MFC for as long as me .. it really can go off for page after page :thumb_yello:

I don't really see the point in discussing it at all. People are going to behave however they want at gigs. Lecturing them like children won't do anything but cause more bickering.

Actually I think people are not singing so much over some slow songs anymore, because there has been a lot of discussion of it. Or maybe it was just the lovely Vienna audience :wub2:

And many people have said to me that I should dance/move/etc more, and I have tried to do it more lately though I'm a very shy and quiet person. And it's a lot of fun, I've noticed. But I guess I was a bit too excited in Vienna, I accidentally hit a person behind me during LT. I'm so sorry about it :teehee:

I think this is just another teacup storm, really. I don't know how this 'lecturing' idea came up. It's all in the wording. It makes a difference whether you say : I don't like it/hate it/it annoyes me when people do this or that during the gig or if people jump on second hand information which is just worded a bit unfortunate. Nobody can force anything upon another, there you're absolutely right.

But please give people a chance to listen to each other's views on situations and preferences. It can change your perspective.

I dont agree with the thread drifting off for 2 pages if people should sing or not to certain songs and heading off into bickering .. thats not the purpose of these threads ..

Thats why the chatter threads are kept open that can be used for more of the random off tangent things and this thread more focused , otherwise as you know being on the MFC for as long as me .. it really can go off for page after page :thumb_yello:

I don't think it is random or off tangent to voice your opinion about how you imagine the perfect gig. Maybe I just feel strongly about this right now as I shortly had an experience of sorts when it comes to rude behaviour in the audience. :dunno: And, as you wish, I will leave this thread to those who have attended the gig now. :thumb_yello:

Actually I think people are not singing so much over some slow songs anymore, because there has been a lot of discussion of it. Or maybe it was just the lovely Vienna audience :wub2:

And many people have said to me that I should dance/move/etc more, and I have tried to do it more lately though I'm a very shy and quiet person. And it's a lot of fun, I've noticed. But I guess I was a bit too excited in Vienna, I accidentally hit a person behind me during LT. I'm so sorry about it :teehee:

It also depends on the location. If Mika tried to sing OMS in LA, people would most likely talk (loudly) through the whole thing. As much as I would love to hear it live, I would rather him not sing it here because I know people would be disrespectful. :huh:

I think this is just another teacup storm, really. I don't know how this 'lecturing' idea came up. It's all in the wording. It makes a difference whether you say : I don't like it/hate it/it annoyes me when people do this or that during the gig or if people jump on second hand information which is just worded a bit unfortunate. Nobody can force anything upon another, there you're absolutely right.

But please give people a chance to listen to each other's views on situations and preferences. It can change your perspective.

I used the word "lecturing" because I know that's how people will perceive it. Things get very misinterpreted over the internet and I imagine people will feel they're being talked down to.

I agree that we should share our views, but I think it would be better if there was just one thread dedicated for that purpose.

It also depends on the location. If Mika tried to sing OMS in LA, people would most likely talk (loudly) through the whole thing. As much as I would love to hear it live, I would rather him not sing it here because I know people would be disrespectful. :huh:

I understand, it would be really sad :blink: Something so special, and people don't want to listen :aah:

I'm a bit surprised he is doing OMS during this tour. I wasn't expecting it. But I don't complain, because I love it :biggrin2:

I agree, bickering is not the purpose of these threads, but in this case the bickering STARTED when Laurel butted in to comment on the reports that people were posting, in order to attack Suzie's (perceived by Laurel, as she had not been there) behaviour at the gig.

After that, what came was:

a-Suzie (and others) defending herself, which is IMO a right that anyone has if they are publicly attacked, and

b-related conversation which, as Violet said, applies to general gigs and therefore to this one too.

I understand that you guys are trying to keep the peace, but really, that can only be done to a certain degree. Once a certain post or comment is allowed to stay on the thread (ie, a mod doesn't delete it, or you don't immediately and publicly address the person in question letting them know that they are out of order), you just have to allow the 'victim' to defend themselves. In a court of law, both parties are heard. Let's not make this forum a dictatorship :naughty:.

I disagree with the 'take it to pm' mentality once a personal attack has been made, and allowed to stay. If one side of the argument is allowed to remain public, they all need to be. It's all or none.

Finally I wrote my report too:

I really had a dream come true going to MIKA's amazing show in Vienna! I took the train from my small hometown and headed to Vienna. I was so excited and was listening to all MIKA songs along the way. Then I arrived with the metro to Gasometer where the show took place around 3. After being a bit lost I finally found the other determined and very sweet MIKA fans (many from MFC) who were queuing there since morning :) I had a pleasure meeting everyone and especially the Hungarian MFCers! As we were queuing we spent a great time talking, taking pictures and just dreaming about the show! We were so lucky that the first 50 of us were let in the building earlier and I was 46! So yeah I also got in first and could stand in the FIRST ROW during the show! YAY! that was awesome! We were waiting for the show to start. The opening band was Zweitfrau, an Austrian band and they performed some cool songs but I don't remember any because I was so thrilled to finally see MIKA live at a show!!! So at 9 pm the wait was over and the first song which was RAIN started and MIKA suddenly appeared on stage!!! I was breathless!!! I just could not believe to see him in front of me!!!! He was so close!!!! He looked amazing and the whole show was FANTASTIC!!!! He even tried to show off with his cute German XD He is sooo smart and funny!!! I just love his personality!!! I was dancing, singing, jumping throughout the show and loved every minute of it!!!! When it was over me and Alexa who is another sweet hungarian MIKA fan headed to the merchandise booth to buy some MIKA goodies....I got hold of 2 beautiful MIKA t-shirts!!! Can't wait to wear them already!!! Then, we hurried outside to catch MIKA for an autograph before he leaves. The band was so sweet and saying nice things as they left and finally MIKA came out as well!!! He was so adorable and friendly with everyone!!! I could tell he was very tired, still, he signed everything. I also could manage to give him my present which was a very colorful, MIKA inspired bracelet painted by me in a little heart shaped boxy! He was sooo sweet!!! He looked at it and smiled and then thanked me!!! I felt like in heaven!!!! Then I took lots of pics and we said goodbye to him! I had such a great time and didn't want it be over!!! But I'm left with amazing memories and can't wait until he comes back again to our part of the world!!!!!!!!!:biggrin2:

oh and thanks everyone for the the amazing pics and videos, I just can't get enough of them! :mf_lustslow:

I don't think it is random or off tangent to voice your opinion about how you imagine the perfect gig. Maybe I just feel strongly about this right now as I shortly had an experience of sorts when it comes to rude behaviour in the audience. :dunno: And, as you wish, I will leave this thread to those who have attended the gig now. :thumb_yello:

:tears: No, please don't...

One of the reasons why I love MFC so much is that threads turn off topic after a while. I find it much more fascinating than reading 13 pages of 'thank you for posting this photo' , 'so happy you uploaded that video', etc.

Aslo, if threads were only for people who attended the gig, it would become really boring after a while. :bored:

It is great to share experince with each other about various gigs, so questions and comments from fans who did not attend the gig should be welcome.

That is sad to hear...:sad:but it gives you one more reason you should try to come to Europe for a gig one day:teehee:.

:tears: No, please don't...

One of the reasons why I love MFC so much is that threads turn off topic after a while. I find it much more fascinating than reading 13 pages of 'thank you for posting this photo' , 'so happy you uploaded that video', etc.

Aslo, if threads were only for people who attended the gig, it would become really boring after a while. :bored:

It is great to share experince with each other about various gigs, so questions and comments from fans who did not attend the gig should be welcome.

That is sad to hear...:sad:but it gives you one more reason you should try to come to Europe for a gig one day:teehee:.

But didn't you chastise Laurel for voicing her opinion?

Your statement seems a bit contradictory!:blink:

Finally I wrote my report too:

I really had a dream come true going to MIKA's amazing show in Vienna!

Was this your first gig or just the first time he's come close to your hometown?

It sounded like such a great show. Glad you enjoyed yourself!!

But didn't you chastise Laurel for voicing her opinion?

Your statement seems a bit contradictory!:blink:

Laurel basically accused Suzie of dictating to others what they should and shouldn't do at a gig based on a conversation that she was not witness to because she wasn't at the gig. I think Suzie can clear up that misunderstanding and still welcome questions and comments from people who didn't attend the gig.